Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cylostra is the worse LL in the game.

Comments

• Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,133

I quite liked Cylotra's faction and I've no objection to her or the addition of original characters.

I hate Aranessa though. Lorewise it's an odd fit but I also think her skilltree is bland. Playing a faction where the only thing that can break is your lord is hardly a power fantasy

There is also some sort of trash militia unit you can recruit that can break isn't there? Not that it makes it better...
    She can also recruit Maneaters now from the port building chain. It's not fixing her faction but it's a bit better at least.

Aranessa was one of my most wanted character, I feel lucky to have her and I'm glad we got her but I'm also super disappointed with what CA did to her.
  • Slugus#5078Slugus#5078 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 933

I quite liked Cylotra's faction and I've no objection to her or the addition of original characters.

I hate Aranessa though. Lorewise it's an odd fit but I also think her skilltree is bland. Playing a faction where the only thing that can break is your lord is hardly a power fantasy

There is also some sort of trash militia unit you can recruit that can break isn't there? Not that it makes it better...
    She can also recruit Maneaters now from the port building chain. It's not fixing her faction but it's a bit better at least.

Aranessa was one of my most wanted character, I feel lucky to have her and I'm glad we got her but I'm also super disappointed with what CA did to her.
    Would have been cool as a sort of Dogs of war / Vampire coast cross over... there may be hope for an overhaul yet, keep the ship building and pirating mechanics but with dogs of war type unit access instead, assuming they ever come in some form
  • sykall#1105sykall#1105 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,039
    Jokes on you. Cylostra is my personal favorite from the Vcoast. I like her backstory, her design, her gameplay options. All very warhammer and very appealing to me.

I am very glad for her inclusion into the game.
    Filling the white spots - 7 made-up factions to enrich the empty parts of the WFB setting
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/288418/filling-the-white-spots-7-made-up-factions-to-fill-out-the-wfb-setting
  • MODIDDLY1#9212MODIDDLY1#9212 Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    You spelled "Alberic" wrong. At least every other lord has a unique appearance and voice. Even Throgg, who's voice is terrible and model wasn't ported over well making him fat instead of jacked at least has a unique voice.
  • GloatingSwine#8098GloatingSwine#8098 Registered Users Posts: 2,692

She's one of the least played LL and her character design is cringe inducing. She's a fat ghost who sings, who thinks of this stuff? It makes the game feel cartoony and satirical when you have joke characters like this. Where's the grit?
    Some people are into BBWs and that's cool, but lets not make a fetish into a LL.

Cartoony and especially satirical is like 90% of WFB since it started.

Even the grit is cartoonish and satirical grit (cf Bretonnian peasants and their 90% tax rate or Skaven trying to blow up the moon).

She fits right at home within WFB’s style, even if she probably would be more suited as a WFRP villain than an empire builder.
    And 40k is only less cartoonish and satirical because the lunatics started running the asylum and started taking it all too seriously.
  • Beytran70#7597Beytran70#7597 Registered Users Posts: 429
    Better than Aranessa.
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,510

Nah the worst LL is without a doubt Greasus.

Lol true. Wheelbarrow!
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Nyxilis#3646Nyxilis#3646 Registered Users Posts: 7,732
    If you're going to **** about cartoony in Warhammer because a fat lady sings then you're kinda being cringe. Greenskins are three quarters comedy and the Skaven run around in mouse wheels saying yes yes. Halfling fling food as artillery and half the Ogre Kingdom quotes are some kind of joke.

Swear some people are just fishing for dislikes.. I mean disagrees.
  • JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,410
    This is the funniest post I seen on here oh God!!!! XD
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,834
    I think the hate of her is quite exaggerated because she's female.

She's far from the best character, but she does roughly fit Warhammer, and she was written by a Warhammer writer. Personally I'm neither here nor there with her, I can't say I'd pick her over the other VC LLs, but she's not an actively terrible character.

As to worse I'd cite Alberic as the worst, and the whole category of hero level characters that just exist to be weaker versions of better characters.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,120
    edited October 2022
    This thread is perfect for the sort of fan who think anything he doesn’t like isn’t ‘real’ Warhammer.

Yep.. the worse type.
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 11,960

Made up, no history, replaced a number of valid options.

Her sex is irrelevant.
    Kneel

• Tempus_fugit#2711Tempus_fugit#2711 Senior Member South AfricaRegistered Users Posts: 1,408
    edited October 2022
    I like her. She is a decent caster hero that can summon and ... cast etc..
    The fat lady has sang in the opera of old hammer. So it goes.
    And she hates elves. Her coolometer keeps climbing.

Also, there is very little that I cannot forgive the people who gave us a fully fledged vampire coast.
    There is no time but the present. – S:TW Hojo, R:TW Brutii/Germania/Alemanni(BI), Med2: Venice, S2: Oda, R2: Julia/Boii/Suebi/Lusitani, Attila: Geats/Garamantians, WH: All factions VH, Wood Elves on L. TWWH2: Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven, Khalida, High Elves, Vampirates. ME: Khalida, Vampire Counts, Carcasonne, Wood Elves
  • Sir_Godspeed#8395Sir_Godspeed#8395 Registered Users Posts: 3,646

She's one of the least played LL and her character design is cringe inducing. She's a fat ghost who sings, who thinks of this stuff? It makes the game feel cartoony and satirical when you have joke characters like this. Where's the grit?
    Some people are into BBWs and that's cool, but lets not make a fetish into a LL.

You don't like joke characters? Hoo-boy, you're going to struggle with a fair few Warhammer characters, then.
  • b_took#1657b_took#1657 Registered Users Posts: 387

The other one, isnt real, not from the lore, and shouldnt exist, especially when a ghost pirate DID exist, and it isnt her.

I hate to break it to you, but *none* of the lore is real. It doesn't exist. People make stuff up all the time.
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,486

She's an interesting character but they should have given her a syreen hero and based her army around ethereal units. I also wasn't a fan of her mount even if it's cool.

Still she's a fun character and she's unique.

Interestingly, her mount was the only thing I liked about her LOL!
    She gets a mount? Really? I don't think I've ever seen that. Not even the AI fielding it.

What is it?
    Itharus said:

She's an interesting character but they should have given her a syreen hero and based her army around ethereal units. I also wasn't a fan of her mount even if it's cool.

She gets a mount? Really? I don't think I've ever seen that. Not even the AI fielding it.

What is it?
    Large crab thing I believe.
    Kneel

• Valkaar#2507Valkaar#2507 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,883
    edited October 2022
    Cylostra is fine. She's not mind-blowing. But she's fine. She fits the setting, she's decently fun to play. She's not my favorite VCoast LL in the game, but I enjoyed my playthrough with her. And she was still better than many LL's like Tretch or Ghorst were before they got their reworks and buffs for IE.

I'd say she's slightly below average now that other LL's have gotten spruced up. But I STILL wouldn't even call her the 'worst'. I'd reserve that title for some of the most truly barebones and poorly implemented LL's like Alberic. Alberic needs some love lol.

Basically, she's fine. I'm perfectly okay with CA/GW getting creative. I don't think they did a bad job with her to start. I don't think she's aged as well, but that could maybe be improved upon later. Currently I'd say she's mediocre. I won't sing her praises or anything. But the abject hate thrown her way hardly feels justified either.

The other one, isnt real, not from the lore, and shouldnt exist, especially when a ghost pirate DID exist, and it isnt her.

I hate to break it to you, but *none* of the lore is real. It doesn't exist. People make stuff up all the time.
    Without the lore, the canon, the game is lesser.
    Kneel

edited October 2022

Her sex is irrelevant.
    To you it might be, but very obviously her sex is a factor in the masses of hate.

I'll also note that every character in WHFB is made up, every character has no history till they're introduced, and the "valid options" instead of her were a handful of extremely minor characters. Her and Aranessa both get significantly more hate than is their due, and the reason for that is very much obvious.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,264
    I used to dislike her, but gradually warmed up too her over time. She's the literal embodiment of the saying "it's not over till the fat lady sings". Basically she's so ironically bad that she wraps around to being good again in a satirical setting.

Her sex is irrelevant.
    To you it might be, but very obviously her sex is a factor in the masses of hate.

I'll also note that every character in WHFB is made up, every character has no history till they're introduced, and the "valid options" instead of her were a handful of extremely minor characters. Her and Aranessa both get significantly more hate than is their due, and the reason for that is very much obvious.
    I mean, that may certainly be a factor for Cylostra, I remember as much, but for Aranessa? That's just shouting out sexism where there isn't any my dude. She just didn't belong in an undead race, full stop.
    Itharus said:

What is it?
    Large crab thing I believe.

Her sex is irrelevant.

Nope.

Both are lore failures for different reasons.
    Kneel

• Bluemushroomz#1739Bluemushroomz#1739 Registered Users Posts: 80
    Cylostra with the sword of khaine, on a giant lobster, summoning and casting all kinds of stuff is peak fun imo. I’ve been taking her to cathay in IE lately. Sometimes people like things you don’t like
    edited October 2022
    Wyvax said:

Her sex is irrelevant.

I mean, that may certainly be a factor for Cylostra, I remember as much, but for Aranessa? That's just shouting out sexism where there isn't any my dude. She just didn't belong in an undead race, full stop.
    There were a veritable cornucopia of threads accusing her of having a masculine face. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and tastes delicious, it's probably a duck. There's nothing wrong with being honest about that.

To be clear, a good portion of the criticism is entirely valid. I'm just pointing out why it reached levels it has no business being at.
  • Itharus#3127Itharus#3127 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 16,486
    Guys guys guys... she doesn't suck because she's a she, or an opera singer ghost, or a completely new character.

It's far simpler than that.

She sucks because she's Vampire Coast. That DLC is just bad. It's the only DLC put out in this entire series so far that I actively hate because it's terrible.

See? Don't hate Cylostra for her traits and quirks... hate Cylostra because she's a part of basically the only truly horrible DLC Total War Warhammer has experienced.
  • Wyvax#7456Wyvax#7456 Registered Users Posts: 6,264
    edited October 2022

Wyvax said:

Her sex is irrelevant.

There were a veritable cornucopia of threads accusing her of having a masculine face. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and tastes delicious, it's probably a duck. There's nothing wrong with being honest about that.
    That was like one guy, maybe a couple of others backing him up. Who in turn had a history of passing similar judgements on literally every other female character in the entire game lol. Despite what the internet and modern politics would have you believe generalizing a wide swath of critics by the antics of a few fringe crazies is not a logical course of action.

What I do remember is that in the promotional material, her head seemed a little large and people were upset about that, but once we got more ingame footage that grumbling ceased.
    Wyvax said:

Wyvax said:

Her sex is irrelevant.

That was like one guy, maybe a couple of others backing him up. Who in turn had a history of passing similar judgements on literally every other female character in the entire game lol. Despite what the internet and modern politics would have you believe generalizing a wide swath of critics by the antics of a few fringe crazies is not a logical course of action.
    I see you agree with me, just in different words. Cool.
    edited October 2022
    Itharus said:

Guys guys guys... she doesn't suck because she's a she, or an opera singer ghost, or a completely new character.

It's far simpler than that.

She sucks because she's Vampire Coast. That DLC is just bad. It's the only DLC put out in this entire series so far that I actively hate because it's terrible.

See? Don't hate Cylostra for her traits and quirks... hate Cylostra because she's a part of basically the only truly horrible DLC Total War Warhammer has experienced.

I want to like Vampire Coast, but to this day I have about 60 turns with them. Total. I definitely don't "hate" them, but they were a mess on release. I kinda want to give them a go though, they've got a decent roster.

Also, again, for like the tenth time I don't think the hate is a majority sexism, but there very, very obviously is an element of that with VC2.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member St Helens UKRegistered Users Posts: 22,120
    edited October 2022
    I do remember a few knuckle draggers banging on about the fact that they were only introduced for the sake of ‘balance’. Which was utter BS but that’s who we have to deal with sometimes. They both added something unique to what could’ve been a rather boring second vampire based race.
    Post edited by davedave1124#4773 on
  • Walkabout#1505Walkabout#1505 Member In a houseRegistered Users Posts: 3,000

Can’t believe I am biting on such an obvious troll, so well done.

Anyway Cylostra and Aranessa go together think the Sea Witch and the little mermaid. Classic GW paying out another franchise. Plus nice to opera so overall an excellent out of the box thinking character.

Cylostra is actually fun to play being so unique, just I prefer Aranessa with Nanu’s Sartosa mod.

Lastly, dude… you don’t have to be “in to” every LL you play. If we all only played LL that we are “hot” for then I would suggest we all stop playing and go out to the real world. Though Settra is kinda ….

Live your life and try to do no harm.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Evelyn Beatrice Hall
This discussion has been closed.