Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Blood Dragon Bloodline (Mechanics Concepts)

—-----------------------------------------—-----------------------------------------—-----------------------------------------—----------------------
Blood Dragon Bloodline (Recap)
The Blood Dragons, formally known as the Order of the Blood Dragon and the Ordo Draconis, are a fearsome order of Vampire Blood Knights known for their peerless martial prowess in battle. They are consummate warriors whose skill at arms is unmatched in the Old World, living only for combat. Usually fighting from horseback, the Blood Dragons sometimes fight on foot and are masters of all forms of weapons and tactics, though they eschew cowardly ranged weapons and magic. Although they would at times use their innate (though poorly developed) abilities in Necromancy to raise undead servants.
—-----------------------------------------—-----------------------------------------—-----------------------------------------—----------------------
Gameplay focus
The Blood Dragon’s playstyle would heavily differ from that of the other Vampire Bloodlines. Utilizing the prowess of elite Vampiric Infantry from the mid to late game. Most Blood Knights are honourable men, and seek to walk in the footsteps of their progenitor, Abhorash. Whom, having slain a dragon and drained it of its blood, no longer thirsted for the blood of mere humans. Blood Dragon Mechanics can center on the concept of slaying dragons and ferocious beasts in exchange for a variety of benefits, however, due to their lack of human servants, Blood Dragon’s will need to battle often in order to feed. In addition to the gallantry search for prestige, Blood Knight’s will focus much of their expansion towards the reclamation of the Blood Keep for its powerful unique landmark buildings that provide bonuses to a variety of Vampiric Infantry. In order for these mechanics to be implemented and to solidify the “Vampiric Knighthood” style of play, we would need to see a new unique Blood Dragon Legendary Lord, such as Walach or the Red Duke. All undead infantry will have the ‘weak connection’ trait, that reduces their leadership, along with perhaps reduced stats, to emphasize Blood Dragon reluctance and inexperience with Necromantic magic, preferring Vampiric armies.
Thirst for Blood Mechanic
Blood Dragoon’s shun the use of lesser mortals, or the idea of ruling over them entirely. Instead seeking to live a life of honour in pursuit of ridding themselves of their vampiric curse, whilst retaining all of its benefits. Blood Dragon’s thirst for blood will be a central mechanic for the Blood Knight’s campaigns, as previously mentioned in the ‘Gameplay’ section. This could take the form of a unique bar at the top of the campaign UI, similar to Malus/Hellebron’s, in which there will be a variety of powerful buffs and crippling debuffs depending on the last time your Blood Knight’s have fed, winning battles will replenish this bar.

My proposed bonuses and stages for said mechanic include the following:
Depraved
-Replenishment is only available when garrisoned in settlements
-Attrition when outside of Settlements, even when in owned territory.
- -10 Melee Attack and Defence for Vampiric Units
- -10 Leadership for Vampiric Units
- +20% upkeep cost for Vampiric Units
craving
- -5 Melee Attack and Defence for Vampiric Units
- -2 Leadership for Vampiric Units
- +5% upkeep cost for Vampiric Units
Quenched
- +5 Melee Attack and Defence for Vampiric Units
- +2 Leadership for Vampiric Units
- -10% upkeep cost for Vampiric Units
Appeased
- +10 Melee Attack and Defence for Vampiric Units
- +5 Leadership for Vampiric Units
- -20%% upkeep cost for Vampiric Units
-Vampiric Units gain minor replenishment when in foreign territory
Indulged
- +15 Melee Attack and Defence for Vampiric Units
- +8 Leadership for Vampiric Units
- -25%% upkeep cost for Vampiric Units
-All Vampiric Units gain minor replenishment when in foreign territory
-All Vampiric Units no longer suffer from disintegration or crumbling traits
The Footsteps of Abhorash
Blood Dragon’s quest battles and unique campaign mechanics will focus on the slaying of dragons and viscous monsters in exchange for a variety of benefits, including immunity to many of the crippling effects from lingering low on the ‘Thirst for Blood’ mechnic.Blood Dragon’s will receive bonuses as post-battle rewards for defeating dragons and other monstrous creatures in opposing armies, helping to combat the creeping negative effects of their other mechanics should they lay idol for too long. Blood Dragon Quest Battles will gradually render reliance on feeding to escape the crippling negative effects obsolete, essentially turning the ‘Hunger for Blood Mechanic' into a flat bonus, without the possibility of debuffs . (similar to if Crone Hellebron occupies Van Gael and the Ancient City of Quintex.)

Additionally, Blood Dragon’s will collect a unique currency from said defeated monsters as post battle loot as well, which may be spent on awakening unique enhanced variants of Vampiric units with unique traits. (similar to the “Blessed” variants available to Lizardmen factions)
Vampiric Infantry
Blood Dragon’s will obviously focus on smaller forces of Vampiric Infantry rather than hordes of undead or mortal servants. With only standard Mounted Blood Knights making an appearance in game, new units will need to be added to bolster their campaign options. Obviously, these units will be few in unit count and expensive for upkeep to make up for their martial prowess on the battlefield.

My proposed units include dismounted Blood Knight variants, recently blood-kissed sire units, flying hellsteed riders, ect.

Let me know what you guys think, I'm quite bored with what I currently perceive as a content drought atm. and made concepts for each bloodline. If this has any degree of competency let me know and I can make threads for my other ideas.

Comments

• Darksteel83#1113Darksteel83#1113 Registered Users Posts: 598
    It sounds cool. But difficult to play at the start.
  • Heretical_Cactus#7598Heretical_Cactus#7598 Registered Users Posts: 3,037
    The blood Knight faction, who would be a Flc with the Red Duke

And for campaign mechanic, I think the Red Duke should get bonuses for having control of the various Bretonnian dukedom.

Like having Legendary/Special Heroes that are the Knight of the Black Grail

And as Flc/Rework he would get more Blood Dragon unit, like foot ones and Great weapon (2h Sword)...
  • #153592#153592 Registered Users Posts: 323
    In my opinion we could have the Red Duke in FLC to represent the Blood Dragon Bloodline.

Being himself a Bretonnian and one of their worst antagonist he could have mirror mechanics with them.

For example the mechanic of Chivalry would suit them perfectly, except that instead of being able to summon the Greenknight temporarily, the faction could temporarily summon Abhorash who would then be a Legendary Hero.

Blood Dragons should be the equivalent of Grail Knights, and Black Grail Knights the equivalent of Grail Guardians.

One could also keep the idea of ​​"going on a Quest" and a "test or a final achievement" to get rid of the Bloodlust to follow the path of Abhorash (the equivalent of the Oath of the Quest and the Grail Oath) It could be as you suggested killing a Dragon or a huge monster or Legendary Character.

I'm also of the opinion that part of the Vampire Counts roster should be forbidden or limited to them, as Blood Dragons have a very strict code and use much less magic than other bloodlines. It would be interesting to find a way to include Bretonnian units in their roster as well.

I think it might be interesting to allow them to Vassalize the other Bretonnian factions, so we would have the option of either destroying and occupying, or dominating them and "pretending to be one of them".

If the character of Walach Harkon is chosen as Legendary Lord, I would see him having a rivalry with Kurt Helborg, about the Orders of Chivalry of the Empire. There would also be something to do around the Blood Keep, but it's supposed to be close to Karak Norn, so that's quite problematic...
  • OdTengri#8235OdTengri#8235 Registered Users Posts: 10,231
    @153592

I have similar desires. The Blood Dragons should be represented as the Vampire Dukes of Bretonnia. That said I'd put The Red Duke on Crusade in Araby and have Mallobaude be the faction leader. I'd make sure Walach gets in as well.

Of course, ideally Mousillon should be led by Maldred and Mallobaude would be a legendary Hero, because The Red Duke has nothing to do with Mousillon, he was the Duke of Aquitaine at the base, he had gone on a crusade in Araby before losing his life there.

The Red Duke should have his own faction: The Scourge of Aquitaine and be placed in Araby (he is called El Syf ash-Shml by the Arabyans) and he was transformed into a Vampire Blood Dragon by Abhorash there.

We could also have Walach Harkon, close to Nuln, towards Karak Norn, in the Blood Keep, because he is a very important character among the Blood Dragons, perhaps even more than The Red Duke. Furthermore, he is the brother of Luthor Harkon and one of the 9 Mortachs of Nagash. (maybe he will come in the future in the Nagash faction? or as a Legendary Hero?)

But that would mean that we would then have 3 Blood Dragon factions? that's probably a bit much... When we know that currently we hope to have even one playable representation of each vampiric line (because the Von Carsteins are cool but hey, they're not supposed to be the only one interesting and playable vampiric lineage, but well one out of 5 (or even more if we count the 2 others lost).

So it seems a bit utopian to me. The Red Duke has been assimilated to Mousillon since the 1st opus (even in the mini campaign Wood Elves ) and I think he'll stay that way, and I think there's a good chance that the Blood Dragons are tied to the Bretonnians like the Von Carsteins are tied to the Empire. given Abhorash's code of honor and the fact that he is a Knight. Hence my proposal above :)
  • RomeoReject#1666RomeoReject#1666 Registered Users Posts: 2,168
    I like your ideas, top to bottom. I'd love to see some separation of the Vampire Counts (Considering all we have at the moment are Von Carsteins and not-Vampires), to allow for more gameplay variation.
    #153592 said:

Of course, ideally Mousillon should be led by Maldred and Mallobaude would be a legendary Hero

What? Maldred is dead and Mallobaude is the proper faction leader for Mousillon.

#153592 said:

Of course, ideally Mousillon should be led by Maldred and Mallobaude would be a legendary Hero

What? Maldred is dead and Mallobaude is the proper faction leader for Mousillon.
    Maldred or Mallobaude, it doesn't matter because the 2 characters are interesting!

One could be a Legendary Lord, the other a Legendary Hero.

I'm not sure Maldred was killed to my knowledge. And anyway it just wouldn't be that first time, as often with the living dead :p

Moreover, Mousillon has lost its title of Nobility since the affair of the False Grail, so there is no longer officially a Duchy and no one really knows what is going on there...

Anyway, as has been said, I don't think The Red Duke will be moved to Araby, and it will probably stay and take the place in Mousillon...
  • Beytran70#7597Beytran70#7597 Registered Users Posts: 429
    I think we really only need one LL for the other bloodlines, but they need to feel special, and these mechanics sound awesome. Could also have it work more like the Khornate factions with a "Blood Meter" that needs filling.
  • Ben1990#8909Ben1990#8909 Registered Users Posts: 3,052
    #153592 said:

Of course, ideally Mousillon should be led by Maldred and Mallobaude would be a legendary Hero, because The Red Duke has nothing to do with Mousillon, he was the Duke of Aquitaine at the base, he had gone on a crusade in Araby before losing his life there.

The Red Duke should have his own faction: The Scourge of Aquitaine and be placed in Araby (he is called El Syf ash-Shml by the Arabyans) and he was transformed into a Vampire Blood Dragon by Abhorash there.

We could also have Walach Harkon, close to Nuln, towards Karak Norn, in the Blood Keep, because he is a very important character among the Blood Dragons, perhaps even more than The Red Duke. Furthermore, he is the brother of Luthor Harkon and one of the 9 Mortachs of Nagash. (maybe he will come in the future in the Nagash faction? or as a Legendary Hero?)

But that would mean that we would then have 3 Blood Dragon factions? that's probably a bit much... When we know that currently we hope to have even one playable representation of each vampiric line (because the Von Carsteins are cool but hey, they're not supposed to be the only one interesting and playable vampiric lineage, but well one out of 5 (or even more if we count the 2 others lost).

So it seems a bit utopian to me. The Red Duke has been assimilated to Mousillon since the 1st opus (even in the mini campaign Wood Elves ) and I think he'll stay that way, and I think there's a good chance that the Blood Dragons are tied to the Bretonnians like the Von Carsteins are tied to the Empire. given Abhorash's code of honor and the fact that he is a Knight. Hence my proposal above :)

I'd go with Mallobaude as the leader and Maldred being rezzed by him and bound into his service as powerful Wight (they should also add in Barrow Kings, but make them a lord version of the Wight King).
    In fact there is literally 4 LLs for Mousillon and three of them could start in different places in Bretonnia. The two others would be Merovech (also rezzed into Mallobaude's service) and Aucassin (Mallobaude's right-hand vampire lord).

The Red Duke however takes over The Scourge of Aquitaine, becomes his own faction and takes over the Forest of Chalons which is turned into a magical forest (lore-wise the last place he wandered in after he went 3x insaner over a certain revelation in a certain place and what he was about to do there).

I think we really only need one LL for the other bloodlines, but they need to feel special, and these mechanics sound awesome. Could also have it work more like the Khornate factions with a "Blood Meter" that needs filling.

Lahmians, Necrarchs and Strigoi should all be made into their own factions with unique mechanics along with the Blood Dragons. von Carstein could use some more extra though to further make them stand out (lime more human State Troops).
  • Beytran70#7597Beytran70#7597 Registered Users Posts: 429

Lahmians, Necrarchs and Strigoi should all be made into their own factions with unique mechanics along with the Blood Dragons. von Carstein could use some more extra though to further make them stand out (lime more human State Troops).
    I agree they should have their own unique factions like how the new WoCs do have some base mechanics the same but also a few unique ones to differentiate them (although they could use more tbh.)
  • Schussel#7671Schussel#7671 Registered Users Posts: 1,039

Do you really think that CA will remove the BloodKiss Mechanic from Vampire Counts to create 4 new "Not VampireCounts" Vampire Factions with new mechanics, heros and new Units?

I agree they should have their own unique factions like how the new WoCs do have some base mechanics the same but also a few unique ones to differentiate them (although they could use more tbh.)
    Aye. Really hoping so. Would also hope for Greenskins getting some attention since they are as if not more diverse than even the VCs.

Do you really think that CA will remove the BloodKiss Mechanic from Vampire Counts to create 4 new "Not VampireCounts" Vampire Factions with new mechanics, heros and new Units?
    I don't think they'd remove the Blood Kiss mechanic and by that extension the Bloodline mechanic. I think instead that they could further rework it.

I could see it as blood kisses being gained more frequently, but they would be used as a currency to recruit vampire lords. If they have to remove something, then they should remove bloodline lords from the bloodline mechanic and make them recruitable like any other lord. However they should be instead awakened after you spend enough blood kisses and those would take some turns. The more blood kisses, the longer it will take to awaken a bloodline lord. However after each set of turns the lord gains more unique traits like in case of Kislev's Ice Court mechanic.

It should be so to show vampires being powerful individuals and each bloodline live up to their reps and encourage the more frequent use of Necromancers.

The Bloodline mechanic could be also changed. Think Teeny-Weenie's sacrifice mechanic with his pyramid, but we have for each bloodline three tiers with three unlockables. Unlocking them all would require as much blood kisses as you need currently. Each tier of unlockables gives you either a flat-out bonus for your empire or a specific thing + a tiny bonus. New units, campaign-unique RoRs, ability to manufacture specific items, map-wide abilities in battles (much needed since VCs don't have any true ranged units except for von Carstein State Troops) or in case of the Necrarch bloodline the ability to turn Necromancer Lords into Liches. Stuff like that.
  • Nygrael#4849Nygrael#4849 Registered Users Posts: 100

No, but they should remove it and replace it with mechanic similar to Be'lakor's Harbinger - changing defeated enemy lords into vampire lords. You know, the actual Blood Kiss as per lore.
    @Ben1990#8909 & @Nygrael#4849
    These two have the right ideas, if you're reading, CA. The current Blood Kiss mechanic is neither loreful, nor fun from a gameplay perspective (Rendering every other non-LL choice pointless just from their existence). Turf the Bloodline Lords from the Blood Kiss mechanic, and instead make them each their "default" Vampire for each Bloodline, and then lock both new Vampire Lords behind Blood Kiss after defeating a mortal lord, as well as perhaps some large global bonuses that are faction specific.
  • CountSpookula#8662CountSpookula#8662 Registered Users Posts: 67
    edited November 2022

No, but they should remove it and replace it with mechanic similar to Be'lakor's Harbinger - changing defeated enemy lords into vampire lords. You know, the actual Blood Kiss as per lore.
    This would be ideal
  • Schussel#7671Schussel#7671 Registered Users Posts: 1,039
    edited November 2022

What about immortal Level 20+ Lords should they also switch side and what about Legendary Lords?

These two have the right ideas, if you're reading, CA. The current Blood Kiss mechanic is neither loreful, nor fun from a gameplay perspective (Rendering every other non-LL choice pointless just from their existence). Turf the Bloodline Lords from the Blood Kiss mechanic, and instead make them each their "default" Vampire for each Bloodline, and then lock both new Vampire Lords behind Blood Kiss after defeating a mortal lord, as well as perhaps some large global bonuses that are faction specific.

What Factions?
    There is just one Faction Vampire Counts do you think CA will splitt the VC into 6 diffrent Factions (5 diffrent Vampires Factions1 Necromacer Faction) including inventing some new LL, Lords, Heros, Units and Mechanics.

What would be the benefit ? besides having instead of on strong Faction with a lot of Choices than 6 Crippled factions with limited choices?

The system is good as it is in my opinion

What about immortal Level 20+ Lords should they also switch side and what about Legendary Lords?

What Factions?
    There is just one Faction Vampire Counts do you think CA will splitt the VC into 6 diffrent Factions (5 diffrent Vampires Factions1 Necromacer Faction) including inventing some new LL, Lords, Heros, Units and Mechanics.

What would be the benefit ? besides having instead of on strong Faction with a lot of Choices than 6 Crippled factions with limited choices?

Legendary Lord and other Immortal lord would not be able to be taken.

When you take an enemy lord they fall in the Vampire Lord pool but without their levels or skills. You just trade them up for new lords

They Should... and why not, things have been reworked before.

What Factions?

Nah. When you go and play as Blood Dragons, then you should be able to play as Blood Dragons (AKA: RIP AND TEAR). When as Lahmians, then you are a manipulator/spy master. As Strigoi you want to ghoul it up. As Necrarchs you want to simply do what Ghorst is currently doing but with more types of undead. As von Carstein you want to be full Dracula and rule over the mortals.

Also who said they'd be limited? I say the overall VC factions would be less diverse than them due to the fact that they would have more stuff.
    - von Carstein: More emphasis on the von Carstein bloodline + more state troop choices if not a chunk of the Empire roster (apart of the two missile units they'd have the rest of the Empire's infantry units minus Flagellants, Knights and Mortars).
    - Blood Dragons: Addition of elite units (variants of foot Blood Dragons, more Grave Guard variants, Blood Knights on either Hellsteeds and Abyssal Nightmares, variants of Black Knights on Hellsteeds and Abyssal Nightmares) along with more emphasis on the Blood Dragon bloodline.
    - Lahmians: More emphasis on their own bloodline + addition of unique mortal and vampire units (like Enthralled mortals, Lahmian Handmaidens and such) and some Tomb King units (like addition of Tomb Guard). Also Neferata gets Undead Dwarfs to differentiate her from the other Lahmian factions.
    - Strigoi: Emphasis on their own bloodline + unique Ghoul, Crypt Horror, Vargheist, Vargulf and Terrorgheist variants.
    - Necrarchs: More emphasis on their own bloodline and a massive expansion of undead units in general (even adding in stuff like Zombie Giants).
    - Vampire Counts general faction: Unchanged except for a selection of units from each sub-factions made available to them. No emphasis on any bloodline.

Those, plus the remaining Undead units (Spirit Hosts, Coven Thrones and such) and heroes (the Cairn Wraith which could be geared up for a different role than the Banshee). Those and multiple vampire hero variants, some old units appearing from older editions (Liches for example) and some units that were not part of the armybook but appeared in WD and could be retooled (like the Barrow Kings being turned from heroes into lord versions of the Wight Kings).

This is much more, benefits the vampires, makes them stand out more...also it will be used to further make Mousillon later into its own factions instead of a sub-faction for the Vampire Counts.
  • HarveyJames#1968HarveyJames#1968 Registered Users Posts: 376
    it would be good too make factions much like monogods/WoC have that make them specialise in certain troops skills etc..
    CA please give us Shogun Multi layer wall Sieges back along with Roles/Fog of war we want EPIC sieges!! 'personally i think the 3 kingdoms style of building armies is the best for balance alongside stronger unit roles and larger unit sizes' also allowing Chars too specialise in range/siege in particular in skills/traits..

it would be good too make factions much like monogods/WoC have that make them specialise in certain troops skills etc..

Yep. And even add some stuff from lore. Like Blood Fathers to Khornate factions to replace Sorcerers. They could work like Arch Lectors or Runelords by having prayers and not!runes while also being absolute murder machines.

Yep. And even add some stuff from lore. Like Blood Fathers to Khornate factions to replace Sorcerers. They could work like Arch Lectors or Runelords by having prayers and not!runes while also being absolute murder machines.
    Only if the generate "wind" or clear their cooldown if they are in melee combat

Only if the generate "wind" or clear their cooldown if they are in melee combat
    Just have their cooldowns limited to melee and how much they kill. If they are in combat, then they cooldown like Widowmaker. However the more they kill the faster their abilities cooldown. That's only for their not!runes. Their prayers would cooldown normally...but their effects and their range would increase the more casualties both the Blood Father's and enemy's sides experience.

What Factions?

We've got several factions. Only one race (Vampire Counts), but there's Vlad and Isabella's Faction, Mannfred's faction, Helman's faction and Heinrich's faction currently. I expect we'll have factions for the Strigoi, Lahmians, Necrarchs and Blood Dragons.

As for benefits, more content and more unique content should be pretty obviously beneficial to players (More stuff to do) and beneficial for CA (More content sales).