Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

CA has failed to capitalize on Warhammer 3 and it’s hard to watch

2»

Comments

• Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,506
    I agree OP.

What is done is done though. Hopefully wh3 doesnt get 3ked and we will eventually get a game as good as wh2
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • LordSolarMach#5538LordSolarMach#5538 Registered Users Posts: 2,302
    edited November 2022

Maybe the Game is at its end and there isn't much to add that would be intresting and bought by the majority of normal players.

Which important or iconic Legendary Lords of existing Factions are missing and players are desperately waiting for?
    Which important or iconic Units of existing Factions are missing and players are desperately waiting for?

To take this seriously:
    • I'd say that important/iconic missing lords include: Neferata, Thanquol, Josef Bugman, Golfag Manhunter, the Lesser Daemons (Skulltaker, etc), and the built up new characters (Mother Ostankya, The Monkey King, Yin-Yin, Li Dao, and to a lesser extant Yuan Bo).
    • To an arguable degree: a number of other vampires (Zacharias, etc), a bunch of Greenskins (Snagla Grobspite, etc), classic Chaos champions (Dechala, Egrimm van Horstmann, etc), a ton of Empire possibilities (Kurt Helborg, Elspeth von Draken, etc), Tamurkhan, Grimm Burloksson, Ghark Ironskin, Aislinn the Sea Lord... Nagash.
    Faction wise, this game feels like it needs: secondary factions for the Chaos Daemons, the Cathayans, the Hag Witches, Middenland, Silver Pinnacle, and Zhufbar.

(Unless by Faction you meant like Chaos Dwarfs, in which case I'd have to say that they're the only ones that jump out as important/iconic - DoW too, if a player is of a certain vintage. I'd love Khuresh, Ind, Nippon, Araby, etc. but only DoW has a chance, the way the map is, in my opinion.)

Edit: I misread your second point (as "Factions" instead of "Units of Factions"). Important/iconic units: Slaughterbrute, Vortex Beast, Maggoth, Verminlords, Yhetees, Thundertusks, Knights of the White Wolf, Knights Panther, Celestial Hurricanum, Thunderbarges, Coven Thrones, Skycutters. There's lots of smaller stuff to fill out LPs, but I think that hits the big bits.
  • Jman5#8318Jman5#8318 Registered Users Posts: 2,171
    It's pretty clear at this point that Warhammer 3 was rushed out 6 months early. It's why they have spent the last 9 months devoting most of their resources to just making the game playable and enjoyable.
  • Passthechips#4366Passthechips#4366 Registered Users Posts: 1,550
    edited November 2022
    I think the main post is overvaluing the FLCs that were released in WH2.

1.) Since when was Trench Craventail considered good content? Especially back then when Skaven were absolute garbage faction? Considered a joke faction for the entirety of WH2.

2.) Kharybdiss as mentioned was tied to the DLC.

3.) The Laboratory is a useless feature nobody cares about.

4.) Alith Anar wasn’t considered a stellar experience either, but overall felt like a good addition.

5.) Map Packs for a mode nobody plays? It should be noted that WH3 also got additional maps in a patch and that wasn’t reflected in this graphic.

Compare this against the absolutely huge number of changes that came with IE, between:

1.) Completely revamped LLs (ghorst being fun?, Isabella/Vlad as respective heroes, Nakai not being as garbage, etc.),

2.) The free WoC update, which is one of the most comprehensive and fun reworks we’ve gotten, and for a DLC worth pocket change.

3.) The relative size of the IE map vs the ME map, and the features that came along with it (sea lanes, end game scenarios, revamped victory conditions.)

The 2.0 update for WH3 was massive, and a much bigger deal than all of the WH2 FLC put together. Yes it wasn’t spread out over the months, but the sheer amount of content that was changed or added is not being done justice by OPs graphic.
  • IndefatigableIndefatigable Registered Users Posts: 526
    Failed to capitalise on game 3? I think they achieved that at launch.
  • razenb#1517razenb#1517 Registered Users Posts: 627
    i cant read this "game was released too early" anymore.
    nope it wasnt. in fact they could have worked on it for another 2 years and the game would have been as garbage as it is now. the behave of range units f.e. would still be a problem cause they never played their own game and dont know how things work in reality.
    roc is garbage and will be garbage forever cause its a major miss design. time cant fix stupid decisions.
    horrible techtrees are also not a matter of time. all those small bugs like red line skills not working f.e. are things that would still be in the game cause CA doesnt even think about fixing this.
    for a standalone its the worst tw ever and the only reason why people bought this **** is IE.
    i think for most of us its unbelieveable how a company can make an addon (and wh3 is nothing else) so much worse than a base game.
    for everyone with half a brain its obvious that CA has allready shifted away from wh3 to their "new" projects (lets clone valorant or whatever, its the hot **** right now lol).
    i am kind of thankful cause i learned the lesson to never "support" (by buying their ****) companies again cause they delivered something good in the past.
  • Erathil#3988Erathil#3988 Registered Users Posts: 1,490
    The game launched in a rough state. It's been an all-hands lift to make it palitable to the bulk of the playerbase, and that's likely taken more manpower than expected.

This has happened before. Most Total War games launch rough. It's just that this one was a bigger scale with bigger problems and complicated by the pandemic that's still kind of going on. It'll take a while for the teams to get back to the old release schedule since this year's mostly been catch-up.
  • KhorneBull#5991KhorneBull#5991 Registered Users Posts: 401
    But we have the 'champions of chaos",
    What more do we need?
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 11,960

But we have the 'champions of chaos",
    What more do we need?

A staggering amount, really. Not even including Chaos Dwarves.
    Kneel

• Pede#6322Pede#6322 Registered Users Posts: 2,046
    I was with you untill you started smack talking the CoC DLC. That DLC brought me some of the best Warhammer moments i have ever had.

Hands down the best flavor DLC we have ever had. And I don't care if some of it is reskinned, it works damn well and looks great!

• Dumbledood#5172Dumbledood#5172 Registered Users Posts: 374
    I like RoR's.

They're less exciting after using them a few times, and the alter game mechanics for some factions with same turn recruitment, but yeah on the whole I'd rather have than not.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,828
    Pede#6322 said:

I was with you untill you started smack talking the CoC DLC. That DLC brought me some of the best Warhammer moments i have ever had.

Hands down the best flavor DLC we have ever had. And I don't care if some of it is reskinned, it works damn well and looks great!

100%.

I'm looking forward to doing an Archaon Campaign with a bunch of theme armies.
    There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • #902441#902441 Registered Users Posts: 7,501
    Considering there is an article on a gaming site claiming even SEGA were worried about how CA seemed to drop the ball after the initial release, I'm not sure why the OP is getting dislikes.

https://gamewatcher.com/news/sega-worried-about-total-war-warhammer-3-post-launch-sales-performance

If you read that article, they explicitly state it was selling below expectations, the user reviews were poor until IE, and they're relying on DLC bringing sales up to par.
    For in spite of all temptations. To belong to other nations. He remains an Englishman.
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 8,417
    They fumbled the launch, they fumbled the majority of their design decisions (Realms of Chaos campaign, Kislev etc)

I’m sure they’ve got the same doofuses responsible still heading the project so of course they’re going to fumble dlc support.

Mark my words, by the time the series is “done” CA/GW will have left a lot of money on the table
  • RocketlegionRocketlegion Member Registered Users Posts: 747
    Think we will get Chaos Dwarfs but I think any support after that will be hopeful at best. Feels very similar to how 3K went.
  • Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,133

Think we will get Chaos Dwarfs but I think any support after that will be hopeful at best. Feels very similar to how 3K went.

No it doesn't feel similar, 3K had a good launch but DLC weren't popular and didn't sell very well. If WH3 DLC sell well there's no reason to worry and since Warhammer DLC have always sold like hot cakes, even bad ones like Beastmen or Grim & the Grave there's not going to be a reason to worry anytime soon.

I get that people don't trust CA after what they did to 3K but if you think we're in a similar situation and CA will pull a 3K on Warhammer then you are very foolish.
  • Lord_Zarkov#7252Lord_Zarkov#7252 Registered Users Posts: 2,033

No it doesn't feel similar, 3K had a good launch but DLC weren't popular and didn't sell very well. If WH3 DLC sell well there's no reason to worry and since Warhammer DLC have always sold like hot cakes, even bad ones like Beastmen or Grim & the Grave there's not going to be a reason to worry anytime soon.

I get that people don't trust CA after what they did to 3K but if you think we're in a similar situation and CA will pull a 3K on Warhammer then you are very foolish.
    Indeed. Even that Sega thing saying WH3 had underperformed said that they expected that to fixed by DLC.

• JToegiTheSnotling#6624JToegiTheSnotling#6624 Registered Users Posts: 2,410

This is CA's biggest game right now with no other games currently being supported. If this fails as bad as you're saying then i wouldn't surprised if they go bankrupt. Would be a dumb decision to pull the plug this early
  • talonn#7575talonn#7575 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,937
    They are indeed way too slow compared tp prev titles. Hope they don't blame it on covid again
  • Bloodydagger#9716Bloodydagger#9716 Registered Users Posts: 4,848
    edited November 2022
    Crapping the bed at the finish line is a bad look.
  • 4fourcztery#60764fourcztery#6076 Registered Users Posts: 564

They fumbled the launch, they fumbled the majority of their design decisions (Realms of Chaos campaign, Kislev etc)

I’m sure they’ve got the same doofuses responsible still heading the project so of course they’re going to fumble dlc support.

Mark my words, by the time the series is “done” CA/GW will have left a lot of money on the table

It may seem that way, but I on the other hand am convinced that's just not the case. If they wanted to do a sudden quiet cut-off exit, they wouldn't be so forthcoming with their goals, handing out roadmaps blog posts, sharing their sales expectations etc. I think they game would just wither with them not giving a damn about it.

It's also worth pointing out 3k was discontinued to CA give a second installment that they announced after cutting off 3k.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,797
    Moved to Chat as the discussion has nothing in the way of a game discussion, but is more of a business practices complaint.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

• VikingHuscal1066#5774VikingHuscal1066#5774 Registered Users Posts: 4,453
    I'm just going to say it.

This thread is ridiculous.

It's like some people still think that CA can just magically create all this content and such that the game will eventually get overnight or something.

It's like so many of them just don't get that this stuff does in fact take time. These aren't the days of NES and such anymore, games can't just be cranked out every few days without having tons of problems anymore.
  • CountSpookula#8662CountSpookula#8662 Registered Users Posts: 67

This is not a doomsayer post, just an observation.

How do you fumble your post launch support this bad, 1 DLC in 15 months, no FLC apart from a LL that's model was already in the base game, also you can only access with IE so technically not free. What changed? The updates/patches are great, the bug fixes are awesome but these are necessary and expected when you release something with so many broken systems.

Regiments of Renown

Nobody cares about RoR packs, they were fine at first but now they have just become a curse. We have enough RoRs in the base roster now! You’re gonna sell DLC with RoRs anyway, so this is pointless.

End Game Scenarios

Why is this being applauded? It’s the exact same system as WH2 but with more races. Lots of aggressive armies spawn…
    Does the Al have an actual objective apart from smash the world? Are they fighting towards a specific settlement/goal while you are trying to defend it or else? Nope they are just beat sticks.

FLC and DLC

Was this level of FLC support planned when you released WH3? Awhile ago I compared the Warhammer titles post launch FLC support, I have now updated it.

On the horizon...Regiments of Renown IV...yay?

Does CA not think that FLC don’t equate to sales and player numbers, FLC is an investment. I also felt the latest DLC was overpriced and over-appreciated. The majority of its content was built off a 2015 Pre-order DLC for half the price.

Before Chaos Dwarfs eventually come out next year, we could be right back in the same player count position we were before Immortal Empires dropped. That is an awful way to continue support for your flagship game and the only game CA has put out in 2 years.

Yeah extremely disappointed with CA as of recent, the game isn't dying, but they're failing to continually keep hype/numbers which could result in less years of support years down the line if this continues. I agree 100%.
  • LESAMA#5456LESAMA#5456 Member Registered Users Posts: 2,194
    Seems like probably there is another announcement on it’s way like a medieval 2 remastered or other small total war title seeing the announcement on future content for wh3.