Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Actual state and future of TW:WH III

SparkYeng17#3015SparkYeng17#3015 Registered Users Posts: 4
edited November 25 in General Discussion
I´m worried about the direction Warhammer III is taking. First of all, as already many users posted here, CA looks to do not test their patches before releasing them, i mean the Sunfang quest bug for example; or directly nerfs and buffs only for MP sake, they don´t even care how this buffs/nerfs would impact campaign gameplay.
There are changes that have no sense: in 2.3 they took back the Yin/Yang building conversions, and, like many of you have stated already, they will take back the settlements battle as a toggle.
I have no intention to be redoundant about the points that already have been discussed here, so here´s my point: what will be the future of Warhammer III? CA has no comunication at all with us, no roadmap, for this patch we didn´t even have release date.
My biggest fear is they leave the game, just like what happened with 3K, because i really, really this series, i had so much fun with Mortal Empires and feel great about it because it was like the world of the lore books come to "real life", and seeing so much potential like this is truly painful.
Post edited by dge1 on

Comments

• Goatforce#6625Goatforce#6625 Registered Users Posts: 8,450
    There are massive issues with CA and how they have handled WH3 that make me worried for the game, but balancing issues are not one of them. To a lesser extent neither is the bug issue (it is a problem but not something I feel threatens the game at all). Imo the issue is that atm it appears that support is being pulled from the game, which would see numbers drop and possibly the plug pulled eventually (see WH:FB and GW's handling of that), with an absoluty unprecedented content drought that has no known cause (for example we knew delays at the beginning of WH2 were caused by Norsca). Hopefully this will be cleared up by CA and we will be told what is going on over there.

Also we are getting a roadmap next month alongside a blog, I believe this was confirmed by CA. As I said, fingers crossed this will tell us where things stand and what to expect.
  • Nitros14#7973Nitros14#7973 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,906
    edited November 24
    There's ten other threads just like this was this necessary?
  • ElStaufo#4038ElStaufo#4038 Registered Users Posts: 46

No, it was not. But that is the state this forum has succumbed to.
    Funniest thing is: the less time I sepnt on this forum, the more I enjoy the game.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,670
    Is this thread really necessary?

I’m not worried about the game, the patches are coming in frequently and they are improving the game constantly.

I just hate the content drought. Chaos Dwarfs should come in December or January…

It’s like CA is sabotaging the game on purpose…
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • manpersal#3961manpersal#3961 Registered Users Posts: 3,312

There will never be enough threads like this until CA tells us something concrete. Their handling of everything about WH3 has been disastrous for 9 months already and we've only got vague promises which don't mean anything. I want to love CA for all the fun they've given me, but they make it really hard.
  • #62422#62422 Registered Users Posts: 366
    edited November 24

I’m not worried about the game, the patches are coming in frequently and they are improving the game constantly.

I just hate the content drought. Chaos Dwarfs should come in December or January…

You mean May or June right (this year).
  • Tennisgolfboll#5877Tennisgolfboll#5877 Registered Users Posts: 13,317
    edited November 24

Is this post really necessary?

Im worried about the game. The patches are slow and two steps back one step forward.

I hate the content drought. Dawi Zharr should have been a main race. And is loooong overdue.

CA has the numbers. It is all about profits.
    It needs to be pointed out that what people call "cheese" is just playing the game the way it actually exists not in some fictional way they think it is supposed to work.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Hamburg, Germany Registered Users Posts: 37,670
    #62422 said:

You mean May or June right (this year).
    No. I mean December/January.

Fixing the shallow mono rosters and reworking WoC was the obvious priority.
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 21,403

Is this post really necessary?

Im worried about the game. The patches are slow and two steps back one step forward.

I hate the content drought. Dawi Zharr should have been a main race. And is loooong overdue.

CA has the numbers. It is all about profits.
    Why are you concerned about a content drought for a game you don’t own?
  • Red_Dox#2328Red_Dox#2328 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 6,475
    Hard doubt they pull a "Three Kingdoms" anytime soon. The trilogy was always coming to an end at some point, but we are not there yet. And if 5 years of DLC support for game#2 showed one thing, then that they bring it and we will buy it.
    • TWW#3 sold apparently pretty well. While the state of the game was lackluster, that still tells you a lot about how many people put blind faith in it after the two previous games.
    • Apparently even the "Champions of Chaos" DLC, which gets a bunch of flak for being more centered around quantity then quality, dominated the Steam Topseller charts for quite some time between preorder and actual release. So once again a sign that enough people are buying and holding out.
    • https://steamcharts.com/app/1142710 you have an average of 20k active players. Could and probably should be more, but the state of the game is still flunky and IME still in beta. 20k is still at the average range you had with game#2, and way more then every other Total War title can provide. Just look over to Three Kingdoms and what their numbers were https://steamcharts.com/app/779340 and those numbers were basically fine. TWW just reels a lot more people in thanks to ME or now IME.
    Yes, CA screwed up with the release state. Yes, it took forever to get IME+Blood DLC. Yes, it seemingly will take even longer to get the friggin Chaos Dwarfs to flesh out the friggin Dark Lands or leaving the IME beta state. CA seems also to not have a good idea what to do with their superduper new sieges. Apparently while some people at CA saw it as innovative new step, it doesn't sit well with the majority of players and now they try to keep the system but make it more appealing. Which kinda might not work when people don't like the entire premise of it for starters.
    The game seems to have a lot of construction sites and that soooo much QoL improvements from game#2 did not made it into game#3 in the first place, is also pretty worrying. Since now the time has to be spend to do all that stuff over again.

But, apparently since IME beta the game does do better. And every future DLC will reel in player numbers to new hights again. The eagerly awaited Chaos Dwarf have a huge potential here from WHFB people who always wanted up to date Chaos Dwarfs, over to TWW players who just want a new race. It might be in CAs best interest to not **** that race up and give them the Ogre Kingdom treatment, where Astargoth gets a mobility scooter to drive around and then we get only Gorduz Backstabber as 2nd LL and be done with a lackluster roster.
    Leaving IME beta also should be a big step, whenever that will be. Things have to look up then and not be some still buggy mess. Dropping a ton of achievements to keep people playing with ALL races in IME for a long time, should also be done. Hell, its the final part of the trilogy. Every 6 months or every time a new DLC comes with a rework we could get new achievements o renew interest in old races/factions. Stellaris recently added a bunch of Achievements for old cosmetic DLCs

and some of them there were pretty hard to get. That is something CA could do and should not take a terrible amount of budget. Make some creative achievements, some fun and easy, some hard and challenging ad splice up interest for the game#1+2 races on the IME map to keep Achievement Hunters going.

So back to why CA is probably not scratching the game anytime soon.
    • Interest in the game is clearly still there. And as long as IME gets supported all three games and all DLCs for them will still make profits in sales. TWW3 might be the final game, but it is still the goose laying golden eggs. Even if the goose is currently a bit banged up and looks like a traffic victim.
    • CA + GW migth still have some formal agreement of how long they cooperate together. That started out as 10 year agreement, but probably was prolonged a bit due to the success the first game already had and led to increased plans with game#2+3. While we don't know until When, if we assume that at soome future point CA might be interested in doing the same work again with the 40k license, it would be madness to crash and burn TWW3 into the ground prematurely and leaving the people hanging like the Three Kingdom community.
    • Next year is WHFB 40 year anniversary. I still cna't say for sure which month exactly. I found no '83 White Dwarf yet promoting it much, the first edition stuff has barely an impressum to check month/year. I am pretty sure its June or earlier, but can't nail it down.
    • Anyway, GW told us they want to utilize next year to maybe get a bit more conrete with "The Old World". About time to see some miniatures, and the 40 year anniversary would certainly a good point to put out.
    • In a wide assumption of actually buying TOW stufff end oif '23 or early '24, it would of course make sense that TWW is still operating and running along to keep interest sparked and overlap in people buying their favorite Kislev miniatures.This collaboration to stay up would also benefit for years to come. it was already pretty bad that WHFB got nuked before TWW was announced, and TOW now coming back because for example TWW kept the spark alive and buzzing shows that a linked future might be best for both companies.
    • We know already from last years that around May, the Skullthrone, now rebranded Warhammer Fest, is usually happening with sales and news for all Warhammer releated videogames. Last year they announced Silence & Fury there, but the last freebie we got was the Black Orc Big Boss in 2020. Next year the fest is definitly happen again, GW is already ramping it up for it https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/11/11/warhammer-fest-2023-tickets-are-available-now/ and we can see already how the timing lines up for the possible 40 year anniversary of WHFB, the potential reveal of TOW and in TWW's case, the supposed 3.0 update hopefulyl brunging Chaos Dwarfs and leaving IME beta. While a bit of speculation here and especially the TWW stuff can be subject to further delays, keep your hopes a bit in check. But yeah, Q2 '23 has some outlying potential on dropping good tiding for WHFB.
    Which in the TWW case probably means 2023 will still see full support and no early cancelation ;) And if everything went well next year, we might not worry for 2024 then either when TOW goes into full swing and TWW might profit on the side with fitting additions.

------Red Dox
  • Sheikh_Nimr#9382Sheikh_Nimr#9382 Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaRegistered Users Posts: 1,658
    edited November 24
    As CA itself said, patching is done mostly by a single dude from the so-called main team, so we should moderate our expectations. He gets notified about the minor glitches, like Uncle Furuncle's boil being misplaced and he might get help for the "bigger updates", like minor settlement one, but don't expect impeccable quality and testing. The DLC production is completely independent from patching, though (as it has always been), so who knows? There may have been manpower issues, as Simone revealed, or maybe some of the staff have been temporarily transferred to the Hyena project. Meanwhile, the main team is working on the next tent-pole product.

EDIT: WH1 was a commercial disappointment. Profits declined, in comparison to R2, because of the GW's huge cut and the fact the game had slightly fewer pre-orders (and more worryingly for CA, the percentage of common owners of R2 and WH1 was pretty low). WWH2 performed even worse, it managed to get less than three quarters of Rome II's pre-order figures. Considerable success was achieved only in the middle of WH2's DLC production circle.

• #326352#326352 Registered Users Posts: 531
    It's not the future of the game which is concerning me, it's the acutal lack of new content. We'll have to wait 4+ months for next DLC which i hate but have to do. :)

We're at the start of the game with only one DLC out and we know there a lot of plans for next year with 3.0, etc. - If they will sell not good enough we should worry about the game but we are expecting chaos dwarfs. A Race Pack always sold well and I think it will do in future too.

As CA itself said, patching is done mostly by a single dude from the so-called main team, so we should moderate our expectations. He gets notified about the minor glitches, like Uncle Furuncle's boil being misplaced and he might get help for the "bigger updates", like minor settlement one, but don't expect impeccable quality and testing. The DLC production is completely independent from patching, though (as it has always been), so who knows? There may have been manpower issues, as Simone revealed, or maybe some of the staff have been temporarily transferred to the Hyena project. Meanwhile, the main team is working on the next tent-pole product.

EDIT: WH1 was a commercial disappointment. Profits declined, in comparison to R2, because of the GW's huge cut and the fact the game had slightly fewer pre-orders (and more worryingly for CA, the percentage of common owners of R2 and WH1 was pretty low). WWH2 performed even worse, it managed to get less than three quarters of Rome II's pre-order figures. Considerable success was achieved only in the middle of WH2's DLC production circle.

Where does this ridiculous idea come from that only a single dude does all the patches?
  • davedave1124#4773davedave1124#4773 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 21,403

WH1 was certainly not a commercial disappointment compared to R2, I’d love to see some evidence to back that up.

https://www.eurogamer.net/total-war-warhammer-is-the-fastest-selling-total-war-game-ever

The fact that a sequel didn’t do as well as an original is also no surprise, however, the surprise was that WHTW was the first TW game that improved DLC sales rather than them declining.
  • Vanilla_Gorilla#8529Vanilla_Gorilla#8529 Registered Users Posts: 39,182
    It's in a good state.
    "It's no fun fighting people weaker than you." - The Beast"There are only two people better than me, and I'm both of them" - Vanilla Gorilla Forum Terms & Conditions I am The Beast, Descendant of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, The Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • 4fourcztery#60764fourcztery#6076 Registered Users Posts: 564
    I don't like the poor patching process with this game, don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Best to just leave the game for 2-3 years. By that time I'm positive it will work all the better.
  • Sheikh_Nimr#9382Sheikh_Nimr#9382 Riyadh, Saudi ArabiaRegistered Users Posts: 1,658
    edited November 24

Where does this ridiculous idea come from that only a single dude does all the patches?
    I'm just repeating Mitch' words. You shouldn't be rude to him, he has some pretty nice ideas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/vivjwe/developer_diary_a_preview_of_update_13/idff4bl/?context=3

WH1 was certainly not a commercial disappointment compared to R2, I’d love to see some evidence to back that up.

https://www.eurogamer.net/total-war-warhammer-is-the-fastest-selling-total-war-game-ever

The fact that a sequel didn’t do as well as an original is also no surprise, however, the surprise was that WHTW was the first TW game that improved DLC sales rather than them declining.
    CA refraining from claiming that WH1 surpassed in pre-orders R2 does indeed corroborate the commercial disappointment that was WH1. For more details, you can ask Darren, my source and a former CA employee, who's easily accessible in twitch.

I'm just repeating Mitch' words. You shouldn't be rude to him, he has some pretty nice ideas.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/vivjwe/developer_diary_a_preview_of_update_13/idff4bl/?context=3

CA refraining from claiming that WH1 surpassed in pre-orders R2 does indeed corroborate the commercial disappointment that was WH1. For more details, you can ask Darren, my source and a former CA employee, who's easily accessible in twitch.
    Darren? The guy who got fired and went on an unprofessional rant? You need to get better sources.

The fact that CA expanded the WH project due to how the game performed tells me you need to get some evidence to back up your theories. A game that exceeds expectations generally isn’t seen as a failure.

Darren? The guy who got fired and went on an unprofessional rant? You need to get better sources.

The fact that CA expanded the WH project due to how the game performed tells me you need to get some evidence to back up your theories. A game that exceeds expectations generally isn’t seen as a failure.
    Please don't lie, Darren resigned and wasn't fired.

I already gave you sources and explained why the DLC circle of WH2 was prolonged. Mainly due to increased retention rate and the delay of the original release for WH3 for several years, following the Troy and 3K interruptions. You are of course free to ignore them.

Please don't lie, Darren resigned and wasn't fired:

I already gave you my source and explained why the DLC circle of WH2 was prolonged. Ad hominem attacks and non-sequiturs (even if Darren has a grudge against CA, why would he deny the alleged success of the games he worked on and instead accept the success of the subsequent titles?) are not valid counter-arguments.

I already gave you my source and explained why the DLC circle of WH2 was prolonged. Ad hominem attacks and non-sequiturs (even if Darren has a grudge against CA, why would he deny the alleged success of the games he worked on and instead accept the success of the subsequent titles?) are not valid counter-arguments.
    So, he didn’t get fired and he went on a silly rant anyway? And then apologised when he realised how child like his rant was?

Yes, because CA are going to give sales information to the kid who works in internet marketing (playing games on camera). Even he said CA rarely listened to his child like feedback.

Again, better references required.
  • Lord_Drakken#4065Lord_Drakken#4065 Registered Users Posts: 240
    Love the game and the way WH3 is working out!

Also love reading people's vague complaints because they have no clue about all of the improvements TWW3 has over TWW2.

I like to call their condition, selective amnesia. They can't even remember a year ago when all we had was game 2, and yes, it had its fair share of problems.

The state of the game is good and the future is even better.

Love the game and the way WH3 is working out!

Also love reading people's vague complaints because they have no clue about all of the improvements TWW3 has over TWW2.

I like to call their condition, selective amnesia. They can't even remember a year ago when all we had was game 2, and yes, it had its fair share of problems.

The state of the game is good and the future is even better.

Everyone who’s seriously arguing that WH2 is still better than the current version of WH3 is arguing in bad faith or wearing rose tinted glasses. Or a mix of both.

So, he didn’t get fired and he went on a silly rant anyway? And then apologised when he realised how child like his rant was?

Yes, because CA are going to give sales information to the kid who works in internet marketing (playing games on camera). Even he said CA rarely listened to his child like feedback.

Why do you call him kid? These insults seem a bit cringe, to be honest. Also, I don't see why he wouldn't have access to the figures, but whatever.
    @ArneSo#7705
    I'm glad you're still active in the discussion through agrees and disagrees, but I think you also owe an apology to Mitch. It's not very chivalrous to disappear, once your claim is disproved.

Why do you call him kid? These insults seem a bit cringe, to be honest. Also, I don't see why he wouldn't have access to the figures, but whatever.
    @ArneSo#7705
    I'm glad you're still active in the discussion through agrees and disagrees, but I think you also owe an apology to Mitch. It's not very chivalrous to disappear, once your claim is disproved.
    The argument that only 1 dude is doing all the patches is factual wrong and ridiculous in the first place.
  • 4fourcztery#60764fourcztery#6076 Registered Users Posts: 564
    The state of the game is bad and it continues to spiral in its own strange ways. Warhammer 2 didn't have half the issues Warhammer 3 has to this day outstanding, so saying Warhammer 3 is better than Warhammer 2 is just subjective analisys. Plus copium from reading a legit criticism.

@ArneSo#7705
    Because he looks and acted like a child. He actually believed that as a marketing bod, who is essentially paid to play video games on camera he was under the impression that he could tell people 100 more times qualified how to do their job. When the reality was finally introduced to him he went on a massive rant on a live stream and then had to almost immediately apologise for his mad take when people questioned his so called professionalism.

That’s how a ‘kid’ acts at work. See?

@ArneSo#7705
    The argument that only 1 dude is doing all the patches is factual wrong and ridiculous in the first place.
    That's a straw-man. Mitch explicitly stated that the patching is the work of mostly one individual. Do you think this comment is factually wrong and ridiculous? Please try to give a clear answer.

@ArneSo#7705
    Because he looks and acted like a child. He actually believed that as a marketing bod, who is essentially paid to play video games on camera he was under the impression that he could tell people 100 more times qualified how to do their job. When the reality was finally introduced to him he went on a massive rant on a live stream and then had to almost immediately apologise for his mad take when people questioned his so called professionalism.

That’s how a ‘kid’ acts at work. See?
    Are you his psychologist? How are you aware of all that information presumably only known to Darren himself? In any case, it's still a pretty edgy insult. Calling you a slanderer and a liar would have also been accurate, given your earlier comment about Darren allegedly getting fired, but it would still be a pretty rude and unnecessary remark.

It’s more likely that one person organises the patches, I don’t think they have an employee who fully works on everything from graphics, sound, AI to balance changes. That would be one multi skilled individual.
This discussion has been closed.