Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Land Treasure Hunts

mind5torm_#7137mind5torm_#7137 Registered Users Posts: 6
edited December 2022 in General Discussion
Would it be good to have random land treasure hunts similar to the random sea treasure hunts like shipwrecks, mysterious islands, etc ? (e.g. "Mysterious Cave", "Ancient Ruins" etc)

It seems like a decent idea in my opinion, especially now that 3 has no settlement ruins exploration at all. Not only would this add to the gameplay (and consistency) but it could also draw ai armies more away from settlements and facilitate more field battles.

Edit: although there is a mod that technically does this and more, there are issues, and it would obviously be preferable to have a well designed and balanced system as part of the base game.

Land Treasure Hunts 57 votes

Yes, it's a good idea
40%
Darmock#1554Orontes#2247lcmiracle#6727Biggles#4266Fridolin#6124#28957FinishingLast#1402Loupi#8512Mad_D0c_#1516PoorManatee6197#6481Ben1990#8909Reeks#2417LordSolarMach#5538#55244Loreguy#1056Docpain222#3241A_Nobody#8442tyberzann343#5218kaiki_utokyo#9006saj1987#4378 23 votes
Yes, plus restore settlement ruins exploration
45%
Norse_Wolf#4985sykall#1105Maedrethnir#1968Rewan#2358Walkabout#1505Malruir#2663Jo_Proulx#5293MasterSayo01#2856#254403ChristianSparta#2551ConstantineZAyn#4211Sir_Godspeed#8395RomeoReject#1666Celsius#6839Ghettobible#3796MalalTheRenegade#5644Ungolf#4587Slayer_Yannir#8069DarthEnderX-#6513Nikolabrac#5277 26 votes
Yes, but remove sea treasure hunts
0%
Yes, plus restore settlement ruins exploration but remove sea treasure hunts
0%
No, it's a bad idea
5%
bli-nk#6314DrawVids#5775Ironhelm#8763 3 votes
No, but restore settlement ruins exploration
8%
Myloween#4717GoldfishLord#2862#27650hcaste47#3002Farstead______#9847 5 votes
No, and remove sea treasure hunts
0%
No, but restore settlement ruins exploration and remove sea treasure hunts
0%
Post edited by mind5torm_#7137 on

Comments

• Neodeinos#5871Neodeinos#5871 Registered Users Posts: 16,129
    Not sure about this idea personally. I like the idea but it's already easy to swim in gold so I don't think it needs to be even easier with land treasure.
  • GoldfishLord#2862GoldfishLord#2862 Registered Users Posts: 471
    No, but restore settlement ruins exploration
    Not a bad idea per se, but I think that there's plenty to do on the map if they restore the ruins exploration. I personally tend to just take the 1k gold or otherwise avoid the sea treasures honestly.
  • #28957#28957 Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    Yes, it's a good idea
    Yes, but it needs to have mixed armies, not just like Vampirates on the sea. Chaos Warbands, Dark Elf raiders, Beastmen camp, "Feral" Lizardmen, Cathayan Brigands, etc.
    Now I am known as "numbers".
  • Docpain222#3241Docpain222#3241 WI, USRegistered Users Posts: 476
    Yes, it's a good idea
    I would like this tied to unique items.... but actually make the battles hard to fight so thebrisk=reward is greater
  • lcmiracle#6727lcmiracle#6727 Registered Users Posts: 1,132
    Yes, it's a good idea
    I remember in HOMM, you can fight 'creeps' that liter about the map, you beat them, you get loot and magical items, various resources, and even get to occupy minor locations (sawmil, mines, etc.) that produces bonus resources. It's pretty fun and it allows for easier way to level up your hero. Similarily in Warcraft 3 you also fight creeps, while they do not give locations to occupy, excepting the ones guarding points of interest such as taverns, gold mines, or shops, they do drop gold and items. Would also love if the local 'fauna' are thematic to the region.
  • Jo_Proulx#5293Jo_Proulx#5293 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,838
    yeah it would add more land battles as well as positive side effect.
    "Fear me mortals, for I am the Anointed, the favored Son of Chaos, the Scourge of the World. The armies of the gods rally behind me, and it is by my will and by my sword that your weakling nations shall fall."

~ Archaon, Lord of the End Times
  • ConstantineZAyn#4211ConstantineZAyn#4211 Registered Users Posts: 1,081
    Yes, definitely. There's a mod that does it and it's quite good.
    Daniel was a mistake.

#JusticeForDaemonsOfChaos
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 17,383
    Yes. Why? Flavour is all! Obey its commands, CA.
  • Biggles#4266Biggles#4266 Registered Users Posts: 3,089
    Yes, it's a good idea
    Yes but I don't want so many giving a lot of money and ruining the economy balance. I do like a challenging economy to deal with at VH difficulty.

Maybe just things LL like an item, followers, or buffs as rewards.
  • #254403#254403 Registered Users Posts: 2,108

Not sure about this idea personally. I like the idea but it's already easy to swim in gold so I don't think it needs to be even easier with land treasure.

Obviously it should be done in a more balanced way. No more 10-20K gold reward per battle apart of the gold earned in the battle.

Let’s say 1-2k or even better, items and followers.
  • Ben1990#8909Ben1990#8909 Registered Users Posts: 3,052
    Yes, it's a good idea

Would it be good to have random land treasure hunts similar to the random sea treasure hunts like shipwrecks, mysterious islands, etc ? (e.g. "Mysterious Cave", "Ancient Ruins" etc)

It seems like a decent idea in my opinion, especially now that 3 has no settlement ruins exploration at all. Not only would this add to the gameplay (and consistency) but it could also draw ai armies more away from settlements and facilitate more field battles.

Edit: although there is a mod that technically does this and more, there are issues, and it would obviously be preferable to have a well designed and balanced system as part of the base game.

Yep. The potential for all of this is sweet.
  • RomeoReject#1666RomeoReject#1666 Registered Users Posts: 2,168
    For those that don't want to wait for a CA implementation, there's a mod on the workshop that adds this, but please note, it is currently incompatible with Landmarks of Legend or Immortal Landmarks, if you use either of those: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2833501876
  • bli-nk#6314bli-nk#6314 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 5,981
    edited December 2022
    No, it's a bad idea
    No, reduced supply lines already hugely expaned economy, more easy XP and gold from land treasures does not make sense and bogs down gameplay in easily AR'd battles.

If CA were ever to implement a feature like that is should be only in the form of the Empire 'Aid to Elector Count' where you can donate some gold or an active army (for a cost since it gives battle loot + xp) to Allied factions or Loreful factions whenever a faction capitol is being sieged.

IE- if you are playing as Ungrimm and Zhufbar is laid siege to the player has the option to donate 3,000 or send an expeditionary force for 2000 to interdict supplies to the enemy army laying siege which lowers that armies AR result in the ensuing siege if the interdiction battle is won. Relations bonus for 5 turns for the attempt of +10 if battle is won or not.

The player can only bring 10 units to the interdiction battle with 5 randomly chosen and 5 picked units to keep the interdiction battles smaller and limit the free unit XP vs 10-14 enemy units depending on the AI sieging Lord's rank with 1 additional unit per each 10 ranks, 10 units when AI Lord is 1-10, 11 units 11-20, etc.

If the army laying siege is strong enough they will still win the siege but if the AI calculates a new AR result that is lower they will either keep the siege going longer for attrition or leave off the siege and look for another target.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence in society.” Mark Twain