Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

My biggest disappointment with the new DLC

Coveredfires#8810Coveredfires#8810 Registered Users Posts: 1,140
Yes, the price is higher than previous ones and the lack of a 4th LL can also make people think the price may not be worth it. I however will only be able to make that decision once the DLC actually releases and I play it. The quality looks there, but who knows.

That being said - my greatest disappointment is the lack of a new Corruption for Chaos Dwarfs. I was expecting their great factories to make the land "darker' and more "dreary". Kind of like a Mordor looking effect from the LOTR movies. I thought this corruption style would fit Chaos Dwarfs and give them a great feel on the campaign map.

However, we are just getting chaos undivided corruption for them.

Lame.
Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.
Donald Trump

Comments

• Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 7,995
    It’s because they are just a normal chaos faction don’t you know?
    It’s in the name. /s
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • Surge_2#1464Surge_2#1464 Registered Users Posts: 12,870
    Corruption is on the list of WH3 disappointments for sure.
    Kneel

• Beast_of_Guanyin#8747Beast_of_Guanyin#8747 Registered Users Posts: 42,821
    Definitely a boo boo.
    I am The Beast of Guanyin, The one who beasts 25 hours a day, 8 days a week, Vanilla Gorilla, The great bright delight, Conqueror of Mountains, Purveyor of wisdom, Official forum historian, Master Tamer of energy, the one they fear to name, Beastradamus, The Teacher, Master Unbiased Pollster, The Avatar of Tuesday, Chief hype Train Conductor, Uwu Usurper, Pog Wog Warrior, Poggers Patroller, Alpha of the species, Apex protector, Praetor of Positivity, Drybrush Disciple, Sophisticated Savage.
  • Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Registered Users Posts: 40,907
    Yeah agreed it’s a big bummer.

If I‘m seeing a pink or Green sky above Zharr Naggrund when playing Drazhoath I‘m going to refund this DLC.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • General_Hijalti#1213General_Hijalti#1213 Registered Users Posts: 5,970
    Agreed. If I see monogod coloured battlemaps am gonna flip
  • Mr_Finley7#4571Mr_Finley7#4571 Registered Users Posts: 8,612
    I can’t believe I’m seeing people who defended the lazy reskins of the Champion of Chaos dlc and a dozen other low effort moves by CA complaining about a generic fire and brimstone desolation look for Chaos Dwarfs lolol.

Sounds like a classic case of “sToRm iN a TeAcUp”
  • Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157Fingolfin_the-Golden#2157 Registered Users Posts: 7,995

I can’t believe I’m seeing people who defended the lazy reskins of the Champion of Chaos dlc and a dozen other low effort moves by CA complaining about a generic fire and brimstone desolation look for Chaos Dwarfs lolol.

Sounds like a classic case of “sToRm iN a TeAcUp”

It may be a storm in a teacup they are considered chaos undivided.
    I think it’s actually fundamentally bad at core design.

But you saying it doesn’t matter won’t make me foam at the mouth.
    Your opinion is as valid as mine.
    BEARS, Beets, Battlestar Galactica 🧝‍♀️ Pandas too please CA!
  • Dasraliah#7896Dasraliah#7896 Registered Users Posts: 267
    I would have liked Pollution corruption, but honestly undivided is already ashes and lava, which fits well enough
  • yodayoda#8389yodayoda#8389 Registered Users Posts: 115

That being said - my greatest disappointment is the lack of a new Corruption for Chaos Dwarfs. I was expecting their great factories to make the land "darker' and more "dreary". Kind of like a Mordor looking effect from the LOTR movies. I thought this corruption style would fit Chaos Dwarfs and give them a great feel on the campaign map.

I envisioned the same thing. Lots of smoke and soot, rivers of lava flowing as the corruption got worse. Also, I envisioned factories getting a bonus to production the more this 'corruption' ramped up (representing the fact that factories going full tilt is what causes all the nastiness), but also the pollution ramps up, causing deleterious effects.
  • XxXScorpionXxX#2310XxXScorpionXxX#2310 Registered Users Posts: 6,552
    no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    recycled mechanics from Cathay and Dark Elves
    8 months of dev time

at what point will CA start showing us the value they've created with this passion project.
    Request scorched body textures, and fire death effects. At least 30% of all damage in this game comes from fire sources. Request Fire for the Fire God DLC.
  • Commissar_G#7535Commissar_G#7535 Registered Users Posts: 16,115

no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    8 months of dev time

at what point will CA start showing us the value they've created with this passion project.

I don't think recycling stuff is bad when appropriate. I even think reusing the flamer rig for the Kdaai makes total sense. Mechanics, fine.

But they lauded this as the bestest super content drop in the history of the franchise. And I'm not sure it's even better than TK or VP yet.

Like sure the new units are cool.

Bull Centaurs, Tauri, Lammasu, The 5 or so train units, The Kdaai and bigger Kdaai. Lore of magic. All awesome stuff.

TK came with Ushabti, Scorpions, Spitty and Melee sneks, 4 new SEMs, casket of souls, screaming skulls. A new lore of magic.

It's a fine update, but not for a price increase and less LLs. I just don't see it.
    MarcusLivius: You are indeed a lord of entitlement.
  • MODIDDLY1#9212MODIDDLY1#9212 Registered Users Posts: 2,043

no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    8 months of dev time

How would you like the train mechanic to work? Also the slave mechanic seems to be more of a mix between skaven food and slaves but I'm curious what you think specifically should have been done over what was?

I love the models, the mechanics seems to be a fun way of running an empire with a balance between multiple resources, the units all seems useful with a unique playstyle. Literally the only complaint I have is that the FLC is also a LH and not a LL with the dlc only having 3 LL.
  • Passthechips#4366Passthechips#4366 Registered Users Posts: 3,326

no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    8 months of dev time

I don't think recycling stuff is bad when appropriate. I even think reusing the flamer rig for the Kdaai makes total sense. Mechanics, fine.

But they lauded this as the bestest super content drop in the history of the franchise. And I'm not sure it's even better than TK or VP yet.

Bull Centaurs, Tauri, Lammasu, The 5 or so train units, The Kdaai and bigger Kdaai. Lore of magic. All awesome stuff.

TK came with Ushabti, Scorpions, Spitty and Melee sneks, 4 new SEMs, casket of souls, screaming skulls. A new lore of magic.

It's a fine update, but not for a price increase and less LLs. I just don't see it.
    Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast also came with a boat load of copy+paste skeletons and zombies, with some minor assets to differentiate them. Compare that to even the basic infantry of the Chaos Dwarfs and it’s a night and day difference in terms of how much effort went into the units. Like even just the tier 1 infantry look fantastic.

In regards to the mechanics, it looks like CA took a couple and turned them up to 11. It’s a disservice to compare the Labor system to the crappy old Slave mechanic. Three resources, that are controlled by capturing labor but also influence the types of settlements and buildings you build, and each different resource is involved in your tech tree, buildings, recruitment, and has interplay with three other mechanics? It’s not even close to the same thing.

Compare this to the Vampire Coast that ripped two thirds of their mechanics from other races and only bothered to use a new UI instead of innovating on them in a major way.
  • toskyrun#2614toskyrun#2614 Registered Users Posts: 943
    yes, recycled corruption is really bad.
    ok, for the other things (game mechanics) you have to try it in game, so I'll really wait for April.
    for the graphic aspect of the corruption there is little to add: it clearly seems to me a listless recycling of resources. it would have been enough to add a few oil stains here and there...
  • Maedrethnir#1968Maedrethnir#1968 Registered Users Posts: 18,671

no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    8 months of dev time

I strongly disagree on this part. CA's Lamassu is not Chaos Dwarf Lammasu at all. The thing should have body of a bull, and they didn't even bother giving it cloven hind legs. It's a leonine monster in a race known for its bovine aesthethics.

There are more issues with Chaos Dwarfs, but considering this thread's main topic, I must agree. Visually unique corruption should be a thing. No, it must be a thing. Before the reveal I thought it's given, and it is an unwelcome surprise to find it's not there. Where are stained lands and poisoned rivers? The undivided blandness takes a lot from the flavour. I wanted to ride a train around the Dark Lands, like in the Fall of the Samurai, and enjoy the wretched sights.

Which makes me wonder, will the race gets its own bespoke campaign and battle soundtrack?

• Captain_Rex#1635Captain_Rex#1635 Registered Users Posts: 40,907

no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    8 months of dev time

Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast also came with a boat load of copy+paste skeletons and zombies, with some minor assets to differentiate them. Compare that to even the basic infantry of the Chaos Dwarfs and it’s a night and day difference in terms of how much effort went into the units. Like even just the tier 1 infantry look fantastic.

In regards to the mechanics, it looks like CA took a couple and turned them up to 11. It’s a disservice to compare the Labor system to the crappy old Slave mechanic. Three resources, that are controlled by capturing labor but also influence the types of settlements and buildings you build, and each different resource is involved in your tech tree, buildings, recruitment, and has interplay with three other mechanics? It’s not even close to the same thing.

Compare this to the Vampire Coast that ripped two thirds of their mechanics from other races and only bothered to use a new UI instead of innovating on them in a major way.
    VCoast Zombies were brand new and used new animations.
    Summon the Elector Counts!
  • Farstead___________#2392Farstead___________#2392 Registered Users Posts: 210
    edited March 17

my greatest disappointment is the lack of a new Corruption for Chaos Dwarfs

If this is your biggest dissapointment with this DLC then it must be awesome for you.

Post edited by Farstead___________#2392 on
  • ScarletLeft#6788ScarletLeft#6788 Registered Users Posts: 38
    Ultimately, the proof will be in the pudding. However, every little thing that shows cut corners either raises expectations for everything else in the DLC or convinces fewer people to buy it.
  • TotalWar78#6586TotalWar78#6586 Registered Users Posts: 646

no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    8 months of dev time

Every mechanic is based or inspired or copied from something we have seen before. Literally every single one
  • Bayes#3307Bayes#3307 Registered Users Posts: 5,328

no unique corruption
    3 legendary lords
    8 months of dev time

Every mechanic is based or inspired or copied from something we have seen before. Literally every single one
    What are the different settlement types and resource mechanics copied from?
  • Coveredfires#8810Coveredfires#8810 Registered Users Posts: 1,140

my greatest disappointment is the lack of a new Corruption for Chaos Dwarfs

If this is your biggest dissapointment with this DLC then it must be awesome for you.

As of right now it is - I can't judge the rest of the DLC until I actually play it however.
    Sometimes by losing a battle you find a new way to win the war.
    Donald Trump