Adorbs

What keeps you playing?

Mo74Mo74 Junior MemberPosts: 23Registered Users
Hey all,
So just wondering what keeps you playing M2? Is it the period, some specific features, or lack of a new PC needed for more recent titles? I know it's a great game no matter what CA follows it.
I played a short Spanish campaign and halfway through an English one before ETW came out in 09. So I uninstalled it and got on with ETW. I'm still playing ETW, and have NTW also to play yet, but I'm thinking maybe I missed out on a lot of what M2 offered. I didn't even get around to installing Kingdoms because ETW came out.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I ought to return to M2 rather than NTW. Maybe playing NTW would make M2 seem too old to return to. But I see M2 is still going in the Steam stats.
So, what keeps you playing M2 over the other games? Does it still stack up?
Regards,
Mo.
Post edited by Mo74 on

Comments

• Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,528Registered Users
    edited February 2012
    I usually keep playing Rome or Medieval 2 as they have an great game play value versus the newer games and they are more fun, to me at least.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • crimson_shadecrimson_shade Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited February 2012
    the exhilarating feeling of completely crushing the opposition. that and i like the sword/spear/bow/cav arrangement better than guns etc... so i usually stick with rome and medieval, and since medieval has slightly more up to date graphics.... if i could i would play shogun (since it does fit those criteria) but my laptop graphics suck and don't do it justice so i'm waiting patiently until i get a nice desktop.
    • Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    • Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    • Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
    Sun Tzu
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,833Registered Users, Moderators
    edited February 2012
    It may sound a bit underwhelming, but I play M2TW during the weeks, because it's the TW my laptop can manage. Still, I really enjoy my Spanish campaign atm.
    Not easy being a gunpowderhead

Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    When in doubt, check the stickies
    After every download, verify integrity of game cache

Fickle is the lady Fora
  • abhijayadeabhijayade Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    hi. The thing is that Total War series is like when you play previous one you won't like the sequel. In my case, I played Rome Total War and then bought the MTW 2 gold edition but I still find Rome total War the best. I still love battle speeches, Victoria's and Marcus's voices and viewing settlements on the map which are not there in MTW2.
  • SitalkesSitalkes Senior Member Posts: 234Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    The ETW battles are just plain boring (just three troop types mostly and terrain doesn't matter so much) and there's so much colour to the Medieval outfits! There is so much fun in all the traits and agents, too. I couldn't go back to RTW because the graphics in M2TW are so much better but there's nothing much better about ETW except for the naval battles. Mostly I like M2TW because tactics pay off. You should try a mod like Third Age: Total War if you want to see some really amazing stuff.
  • SiegePerilousSiegePerilous Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    M2 has unlockable factions. And since I have this on Steam I have to unlock them again...and I don't seem to have done it just winning a short game with Spain...so...i guess I'm playing due to the mystery of why doesn't unlocking work :)

Also M2 has LotR mod that has eaten my life from time to time. Haven't seen great mods in the new games.

Longer timeframe, more diverse battles and unit look and feel in M2.

Hope they can eventually combine the pretty new graphics on these new TW games with the great diversity, modding capability and strategy of M2.

I'm afraid the newer games are being strangled into uniformity by the rise of Downloadable Content that is making them want to save "fun" features for later paid purchase. I want a game I can pay for once, maybe a second time at most for the expansion, and have the complete world experience. This is why I don't pay to play any sort of these "free" games. It's a terrible user experience just psychologically made to hook you to pressing buttons and pulling out your wallet. Please don't buy into this system through DLC.
  • MaklodesMaklodes Senior Member Posts: 382Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I just recently got M2TW and RTW, gold editions in both cases (haven't tried Rome yet). I guess I watched some YouTube videos and thought they looked neat. They were cheap ($20 or so including shipping for the two of them -- half was shipping, so they were like $5 or so a piece). They were old enough that I didn't worry to much about my laptop overheating and shutting down if I ran them.
  • crimson_shadecrimson_shade Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    ooh...nice deals. i got them on steam for 10 ea. since i couldn't keep on using my brother's copies anymore. yea, you should be fine. ETW is the one that might overheat your laptop. if i play it for a couple hours without my cooling pad fans on, my laptop overheats. i'm currently playing as england, papal states (changed game files to let me do that), and england in kingdoms. my brother has a milan file on my computer (he plays on mine if he doesn't have his computer around).
    • Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.
    • Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    • Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
    Sun Tzu
  • NXMTNXMT Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I just love the setting. Nothing is more satisfying than mowing down the enemy with rows of noble highlanders. And also, it's the last Total War to not have that incredibly irritating tiny blurry font problem. Now if there was a way to fix that uberspeed problem with modern processors.
  • Timarli SipahiTimarli Sipahi Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I love medieval era. thats why I'm still playing
  • hopohopo Junior Member Posts: 13Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I've come back to M2TW, after about a year off it, playing as turks with custom campaign mod2, its still a lot of fun, graphics are a little dated, but the small things like the appearance of troops changing as their armour upgrades make up for that. The siege battles are better than the newer TW's i think
  • darkstardarkstar Senior Member Posts: 346Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I love medieval era. thats why I'm still playing

this

also nice quote as your sig, really interesting
  • Green JacketGreen Jacket Senior Member Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, EnglandPosts: 1,508Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    two reasons. Stainless steel and third age. They are what i play 7 days a week atm, however darth mod has kinda brought me back to the more vanilla mods.

The mod community is massive. Back in the day rome had hundreds of mods. Now empire and med2 have taken the mantle, however med 2 still has alot of new mods due to come out. Dominion of the sword and europa barbarium 2 mods which should be released in the next year or two really are going to add to med2's gameplay.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe"
  • n8dogg7n8dogg7 Member Posts: 35Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I can't stop playing M2TW. The factions,units,and for the most part you play without gunpowder which is a lot more fun than just having a unit shoot at another unit.I enjoy the campaign more than any other game I have played as well.The satisfaction of actually getting to a factions best units is unlike any other game.The only feature I would really want added to this game is online multiplayer campaigns.
  • GrantHammyGrantHammy Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I keep playing because my computer can handle the game better than the new and 'high-graphics-demanding' Empire and Shogun 2 ^^
    Tonight we dine in pixels!
  • Pope Innocent IIIPope Innocent III Senior Member Posts: 188Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Because I get to play it while working on my Advanced Fiction HW. Oh, and because I like killing people with pikes..
    Fortune favors the audacious.
  • The DukeThe Duke Member Posts: 33Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    My computer can't hand the low performance ands to crash the game 30 seconds after I enter one...
    I'd Rather die an Honorable man.Than to Live all my life in shame...

Marcus Brutus, Shakespeare's, Julius Caesar
  • darren jkdarren jk Senior Member Posts: 2,059Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Ocd ....
    VENI VIDI VICI :D
  • AnthropoidAnthropoid Junior Member Posts: 15Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    It sounds like there is a consensus here: awesome graphics can take a great game and make it an awesome game.

But a mediocre game with awesome graphics does not become great by virtue of looking nice.
  • giannisefoagiannisefoa Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I play it even now because i believe that the ETW or NTW aren't that good.That's because in these two games the battles arent so good as in M2TW or RTW...I think that the most gameplayers that play strategy games are more attracted by sword or spear battles instead of gunpowder battles...
  • chenshaschenshas Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited June 2012
    like medevial2 and rome because of the honor they showed back then(plus there installed and not downloaded)that and i love the medevial era and roman era they were the rise of civillization today it looks like were lower then barbarians with abortion and such
  • SandcatSandcat Senior Member Posts: 143Registered Users
    edited June 2012
    I still play it because I love the factions and the many different units.
  • The janissaryThe janissary Senior Member Posts: 391Registered Users
    edited June 2012
    I love spears,bows,swords and KNIGHTS much better than rifles and pistols. And the battles are more entertaining and requires more strategy thinking. And i am more interested in the roman and medieval eras.
    edited July 2012
    chenshas wrote: »
    like medevial2 and rome because of the honor they showed back then(plus there installed and not downloaded)that and i love the medevial era and roman era they were the rise of civillization today it looks like were lower then barbarians with abortion and such

civilization is never honorable, instead of abortion(debatable but not the time or the place), they had enslavement, humans just suck and society never advances, it just replaces old habits with ones more suitable for the times, but equally as brutal
  • Zork90Zork90 Senior Member Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Simply because the time period that Rome and Medieval cover are of more interest to me.
    But I also feel that there is a certain point where these two older games have more gameplay value than the newer ones. Then we have the gunpowder...
    The North Remembers
    You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.
  • SaxsonWarlordSaxsonWarlord Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    The power of religion in the game, the fact that its more like three weak alliances fighting than a billion countrys
    edited July 2012
    yeah, do alliances actually do anything?it seemed to me that it was closer to a non aggression pact than an actual alliance
  • NubarusNubarus Senior Member Posts: 359Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    I still play it because Stainless Steel mod makes the game so much better. For Rome Total War I play with the Roma Surrectum II mod. I really hope that Rome II will have the different legions and better worked out Auxillia units like in RS II mod.
  • MaklodesMaklodes Senior Member Posts: 382Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    chenshas wrote: »

Are you aware that both abortion and actual infanticide-by-exposure were practiced in the classical era (probably the latter more than the former)? Also, abortion wasn't considered an excommunication-worthy offense by the Catholic church until Pope Sixtus V's Effraenatam in 1588? (Although I suppose is was a sin before that, even if St. Hildegard of Bingen documented abortifacients in her medical manual.)
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,528Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    I love going back to the medieval times, and to me, the unit, terrain, and city detail in Medieval 2 is far better Empire, and maybe even Napoleon. But, I also loved the fact that if you created armies without generals, those armies could rebel against you.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "