Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Just a gaming PC

Darren89Darren89 MemberEnglandPosts: 134Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
Hi guys I am going to buy a new PC just for gaming. I have my eyes on one which should run empire total war and shogun 2 fine but I will be the first person to raise my hand and admit I am not the best with computer components etc so I will name the specs and hope people can help me out ;)

VIBOX A21-W - QUAD CORE - GAMING PC - WINDOWS 7 64-BIT
1GB HDMI 4350 GRAPHICS
8GB RAM
1TB
AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8GHz Processor

Motherboard is an Asrock N68 GE3 UCC

Help would be fantstic!
Post edited by Darren89 on

Comments

• IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    1GB HDMI 4350 GRAPHICS

This is a cheap graphics card, meant for office and word writing and some video watching - not directly for gaming.

If you are building for GAMING you need an AS GOOD graphics card as you can afford....if budget is a problem spare the money by going with just 4GB RAM and spend the money on the graphics card instead.

Graphics card is THE most important piece when it comes to gaming - followed by CPU, followed by having enough RAM (4GB is sufficient for ANY game ou there atm).

How big would your budget be building the system ?
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • SanjuroSanjuro Senior Member U.K.Posts: 1,541Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    You need to give us full details of your budget - what you can afford and what you would like to pay if possible. Also, please let us know what website you're planning to buy your PC from and what model you're talking about.

However, it's always better to build a computer yourself. It's not actually that hard, and you can choose the parts. Otherwise you run the risk of being given a pile of rubbish at a premium price because someone else put it together. Are you sure you couldn't get someone to help you?
  • Darren89Darren89 Member EnglandPosts: 134Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    Thanks guys, the budget is about £600, the pc that I am looking at is from a company called vibox of ebay which is £550.

AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8GHz

8GB RAM
    1TB Hard drive
    DVD RW
    1GB 4350 Graphics Card
    Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit

Processor is

quad core
    64-bit computing
    2.8ghz clock speed
    512kb level 1 cache
    2MB level 2 cache
    45 nm manufacturing process
    95w power
    71oc thermal specification

8GB DDR3 1333MHz

Motherboard is an Asrock N68 GE3 UCC

Hard Drive is 1TB
    Power supply is octigen 400w
    And the case is a coolmaster elite 330.
  • TotalwarloverTotalwarlover Member Posts: 95Registered Users
    edited November 2010
    i will advice a computer an acer or an HP Pavilion or maybe (this costs a lot of money but you will get a badass computer) an alienware desktop from dell i recommended the last one but it is not cheap
    [PORTABLE-ID]totalwarlover[/PORTABLE-ID]
    "I know only one thing, that I know nothing" Socrates
    edited November 2010
    i will advice a computer an acer or an HP Pavilion or maybe (this costs a lot of money but you will get a badass computer) an alienware desktop from dell i recommended the last one but it is not cheap

Yeah £4,200 it would set me back......for alienware.
    edited November 2010
    Here, much better gaming system than the one you choose. 598 Pounds direct buy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIBOX-D-315-QUAD-CORE-3-4GHz-HD-5770-1GB-GAMING-PC-/190378067873?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2c536ac7a1

The 5770 graphics card is roughly 10times as fast as the HD4350, and it also supports DX11, although it probably will be a little too weak for the full glory of DX11 titles.

EDIT: Hmmm strange shop this Vibox - very weird "custom" designs... Who the **** buys a Hexacore Phenom with 8GB RAM and only a HD4350 in it and labels it "gaming PC" ????? Thats like buying a car without an engine but a top sail instead.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
    edited November 2010
    Iscaran wrote: »
    Here, much better gaming system than the one you choose. 598 Pounds direct buy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIBOX-D-315-QUAD-CORE-3-4GHz-HD-5770-1GB-GAMING-PC-/190378067873?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2c536ac7a1

The 5770 graphics card is roughly 10times as fast as the HD4350, and it also supports DX11, although it probably will be a little too weak for the full glory of DX11 titles.

EDIT: Hmmm strange shop this Vibox - very weird "custom" designs... Who the **** buys a Hexacore Phenom with 8GB RAM and only a HD4350 in it and labels it "gaming PC" ????? Thats like buying a car without an engine but a top sail instead.

Thank you very much, that was the other PC I was looking at. Will see how low he will let it go for.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited December 2010

A Ferrari car chassis and transmission while human leg powered :)

TBH, AMD X4 965? Get something like a HD 6850 to go it. :)
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2010
    Vibox doesnt offer HD6k series :-/

As I said - honestly I think you will be better off looking on a different shop. This Vibox "shop" seems strange to me, no homepage I could find, nothing just ebay....if that is a rip-off selling 2nd hand parts or something like that I would not be surprised.
    Iscaran

Hero.

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Have you ever thought of building a PC yourself? Your budget is pretty tight. Building a PC yourself (maybe with some help from a tech friend) could save you some money.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited December 2010
    I have no tech friends and I do not want to invest money on building one which might end up not working properly etc..... I am currently looking at an alienware aurora desktop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180591744594&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    I have no tech friends and I do not want to invest money on building one which might end up not working properly etc..... I am currently looking at an alienware aurora desktop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180591744594&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thats a very akward combo. A powerfull CPU combined with two cheap entry level (GT 240) graphics cards in SLI.

I would advise against that unless it would leave enough budget to replace those cards with a decent one.

Like mentioned earlier. For gaming the graphics card is the most important part.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

edited December 2010
    Maximus is right forget this setup. Though it is better than the one you looked at initially.

A single HD 5770 or HD6850 or a GTX460 are as fast as the 2 GT240s or even faster.
    Iscaran

Hero.

edited December 2010
    I can replace the graphic cards over time
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I can replace the graphic cards over time

And you would ultimately spend more.

Please keep in mind that having 2 cards does not automatically mean double the performance. Getting a single powerful card over two weaker cards at the same budget is almost always a better solution. If your monitor isn't running at very high resolutions, I was told that a second card would have negligible impact. What monitor are you using?

Looking at the alienware build, it's ridiculous waste of money. If anything, it is far more suited for engineering work than gaming. An i7 for gaming is an overkill. Plus, it is refurbished.

IF you are willing to spend, I'd suggest this:

i5 760 + mobo (say MSI P55 GD55)
    2x2gig DDR3 RAM (add in another 2x2 stick when you need to)
    HD 6870
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Optical (non BD)
    Seasonic or Corsair PSU (700+W if you intend to crossfire with the latest generation of cards that take up to 250W per card when under heavy load)

Cheaper rig:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955/965 (get BE if you want to OC) + some mobo
    The rest are the same except that you can downgrade to 6850 to save some cash. You can downgrade your PSU to 500+W if you do not intend to use dual cards.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the advice, I will not get it then. Can I have the full spec of the more expensive rig so I can start looking at prices and begin building it. I will give it a go at building it myself using internet guides :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Oh and I only have a 19inch HD monitor.

My current rig set up is

processor: intel(r) core(tm)2 quad cpu q6600
    2.40Ghz
    4GB Ram
    32 bit operating system
    Artic freezer fan 700w
    512mb nvidia 9600gt overclocked graphics card.

Could I upgrade my current rig or is it best to build a brand new one?
    edited December 2010
    If you only have a 19" monitor you probably also have only 1680x1050 or even lower resolution ?

In that case I think you definitely can go for the cheaper option Maeda presented...and even can save money by choosing the HD 6850 one of the best designed current generation cards. That card is sufficient to field full HD resolution in nearly any game and all settings atm so on your lower resolution it should be more then enough.

It is also one of the most efficient cards in terms of performance/watt so you can probably spare money on the PSU.

Here check your system needs with this calculator:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
    Iscaran

Hero.

edited December 2010
    If you only have a 19" monitor you probably also have only 1680x1050 or even lower resolution ?

In that case I think you definitely can go for the cheaper option Maeda presented...and even can save money by choosing the HD 6850 one of the best designed current generation cards. That card is sufficient to field full HD resolution in nearly any game and all settings atm so on your lower resolution it should be more then enough.

It is also one of the most efficient cards in terms of performance/watt so you can probably spare money on the PSU.

Here check your system needs with this calculator:
    http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Thank you.

Screen resolution is 1440x900
    edited December 2010
    I'd say x-fire is not really useful unless you get a larger monitor with higher resolutions.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2010
    Can someone help me make a list of components that I need to build a computer?

Processor, AMD Phenom II X4 965
    RAM, 2x2gig DDR3
    Graphics, ATI Radeon HD 6870
    Hard drive, Samsung F3 1TB
    DVD/RW
    Have a artic freezer 700w

Is there anything I am missing like a case? USB ports?
  • AlexandroAlexandro Senior Member Zu Lai Temple againPosts: 1,401Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    is missing the mobo (with the USB ports), monitor
    edited December 2010
    Can someone help me make a list of components that I need to build a computer?

RAM, 2x2gig DDR3
    DVD/RW
    Have a artic freezer 700w

Is there anything I am missing like a case? USB ports?

Assuming you already have a screen, a keyboard & a mouse next to the mentioned components
    you need a case, powersupply and motherboard.

edited December 2010
    Get a X4 955BE if it is cheaper. Downgrade to a HD6850 for lowered cost.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2010
    Get a X4 955BE if it is cheaper. Downgrade to a HD6850 for lowered cost.

It okay, cost is not a problem as I will be building it over time. What type of motherboard should I get?

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
    edited December 2010
    It okay, cost is not a problem as I will be building it over time. What type of motherboard should I get?

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Well, it depends on whether you have intentions to xfire, especially with mid-high end gfx cards. If you want xfire at x16, then you need a board with 890.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Motherboards are either developed for Intel or AMD CPUs, and once you know which you will use, you need to check that it has the particular socket that your CPU fits. If you are going for the PhenomII series from AMD, you need an AMD, Socket AM3 mobo.

Now, like Maeda Toshiie said, if you want to use two video cards together, (now or later) you will need an AMD, AM3, '890' board. The 890 stands for the name of the chipset (or the northbridge in this case to be more specific), and an 890 will usually be a few more bucks than other chipsets, but if you ARE going to use a second video card now or later be CERTAIN that the board has a second PCIe 16x slot and that it operates in TRUE 16x on BOTH PCIe slots in xfire or Sli-many will only offer 16x and 8x, or 8x and 8x in dual card modes...

One other concern is what kind of interface will you be using for your Drives. In the old days we used ATA IDEs and the like (the ones with all the pins!). Nowadays, those are mostly gone, and you will be looking at 3 gb SATA plugs for your hard drive, and cddvd roms... Most current drives on the market adhere to the 3 gbs interface standard, and is most likley going to be supported by any southbridge (the other part of the chipset that, as in marriages without the hyphenated last names, DOESN'T get to name the couple!) You can look at the mobo and verfy it has sata plugs and read the specs to verify it has as many as you need-mutliple chipsets and southbridges support this standard. There IS however a new sheriff in town that is the 6gbs SATA interface, which you will be needing ONLY if you are getting a drive that supports the 6gbs protocol. If you are buying such a drive, an important reason to get it is because it has a wider bandwidth (can transport more data) faster, so it makes sense to get a mobo that can asctually USE that expensive interface you probably payed extra for. For that you need a mobo with the '850' southbridge, which you won't easily be able to see in the description most of the time because Southbridges usually aren't part of the naming convention of mobos. You will either need to see the specs and identify the SB (southbridge) or verify that the board supports the 6gbs standard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    edited January 2011
    Alright gentleman, thank you for all the help but now I need to know which is a good case to get to support the following:

Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    RAM, 2x2gig DDR3
    DVD/RW
    Artic freezer 700w

The case needs to be able to fit in the ATI radeon hd 6870 and the relevant slots in the back as it is a dual core card I think?

Thank you for the support and help.
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    This will be my next case, for many reasons.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146067&cm_re=nzxt-_-11-146-067-_-Product

Check out the reviews, it comes highly recommended, and with good looks as well. It also features a 100 watt, 5 channel fan controller.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Hi again Bloody Blade! Glad we could help... Evo's case is a very good full tower case. Similar cases in the same price range ("for a few dollars more") include the old standard Antec 1200, and Cooler-Master HAF series... also visible on Newegg, typically about 20 bucks more.

BTW, the 6870 is a single gpu card (a powerful and huge one, certainly, but not a dual board), that may take up two spaces because its so wide... It has multiple ports on it so you can use more than one monitor if you've a mind, but its still a "single" card.
    (sort of like me, ... I LOOK like the most interesting man in the world, but I'm actually just old and married - so far! LOL).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    edited January 2011
    IF money is no issue as you say consider getting an Phenom II X6 1075 / 1090 / 1100.
    Iscaran

Hero.