Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Can my computer...

hcolylehcolyle Junior MemberPosts: 20Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Technology
Hello,

So i was wondering, how my computer can run the shogun 2 total war... I followed bunch of links by moderators and ended up here, so quess i can ask here then?

My specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
And directX version is 11, dunno if that is important.

Yeh, i know my computer isnt the best in the world.. i bought it like 2 - 3 years ago or something. So any ideas how my computer is going to run the game? I really hope they didnt forget us with not so good computer :p
Post edited by hcolyle on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    A few brief comments:
    We do not KNOW the sys reqs. although they have been HINTED to be similar to those of Napoleon Total War, but can "scale up from there" - whatever that may mean for each person.

Dual core @ below 3ghz, not the best, but it will run. Your Video card is a budget 200 series card. It has limited capability. TW is a CPU intensive game, AND demands a lot of geegaws from the video card as well... You might have to keep some settings down quite a bit, possibly in the low to medium range, maybe shadows off for better smoothing.

You do not have DirectX 11, as your card will not support it, although you have drivers that would run it if you have a card from the 400 series or later. I may have some further comment in a bit, but if you look at a couple of other threads here, you will see where Iposted the NTW sys reqs so you can get an idea of where the floor is...

AL.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • hcolylehcolyle Junior Member Posts: 20Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I open run type dxdiag and it says my directx version is 11?
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    hcolyle wrote: »
    I open run type dxdiag and it says my directx version is 11?

That's the version of the DirectX software installed on you computer. That does not mean your card supports it.
    The GT220 is a DirectX 10.1 card (see http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_220_us.html)

As AlJabberwock already pointed out your CPU is not the fastest thing arround. But it will probably suffice. And 4GB of memory is fine.

But your videocard probably won't run the game very well. Your card is a budget card and sits on the bottom parts of the performance charts. It's not even on the 2010 charts but here's a 2009 chart which show a score for the GT220 http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-cards-charts-2009-high-quality/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,1829.html

If I were you I would wait until march and buy a decent new DirectX 11 card for your system just before buying the game.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I agree with the previous poster. If you wish to have some more eye candy in shogun2 than the minimum you will need a better graphics card. In the worst case the GT220 would be even to weak to run shogun2 - but thats impossible to tell without shogun2 being released.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for all you who bothered replying, no so sure if i want just yet to upgrade my videocard, maybe later. Im not so good with computers (you might have noticed that), so can somebody suggest me videocard which is compatible with my current comp?

Wish they released more info about te Shogun 2. Would like to compare the system requirements to BFBC2 im happy how that game runs on my comp and if shogun 2 would require less from comp than bc2 i would be pretty happy :p

Funny how i have had all my total war games on computer which barely runs them... Im anyway going to buy the game and hope its going to be atleast playable for me.. if its not ill just need to wait untill i update / buy new comp :P
    edited December 2010
    if shogun 2 would require less from comp than bc2 i would be pretty happy

Most certainly not. STW2 will be more demanding than BFBC2.

MinReq: BFB2:
    Minimum System Requirements
    Processor: Core 2 DUO @ 2 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Drive: 15 GB for Digital Version, 10 GB for Disc Version
    Video Memory: 256 MB (NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT/ATI X1900)
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    DirectX: 9.0c
    Keyboard and Mouse
    DVD Rom Drive

Compare to NTW:

Supported OS: Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or Windows Vista™ or Windows 7™
    Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel® Pentium® or greater or AMD® Athlon® equivalent CPU, with SSE2 instruction
    Memory: 1 GB RAM (XP,) 2 GB RAM (Vista™)
    Graphics: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible hardware accelerated video card with shader version 2.0 support, 256 MB video memory
    Display: Minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 1024 pixels
    Sound: Directx9.0c compatible sound card
    Hard Drive: 15 GB free hard disk space formatted as NTFS
    Peripherals: Windows compatible mouse and keyboard

Pretty the same. STW2 will be something like this + a little more.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
    edited December 2010
    If you compare the recommended settings, you can see the difference better.
    edited December 2010
    With the Recommended settings its pretty the same. In case you want some eye candy you definitely need at least recommended system settings.

Anyway the settings are pretty the same as well just written differently....IMO for a nice battle feeling you need a more buffed system for NTW than for BFBC2. And you should get a 1GB Graphcis card - ETW/NTW can already use up to 900MB VRAM...STW2 probably might even need more on the highest settings.

BFBC2:
    Recommended System Requirements
    Processor: Any Quadcore Processor
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard Drive: 15 GB for Digital Version, 10 GB for Disc Version
    Video Memory: 512 MB (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260)
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    DirectX: 10
    Keyboard and Mouse
    DVD Rom Drive

NTW:
    Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual Core CPU
    Memory: 2 GB RAM (XP), 4 GB RAM (Vista/Windows 7)
    Graphics: 512 MB DirectX 9.0c shader model 3 compatible GPU
    DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 21 GB free space
    Iscaran

Hero.

edited December 2010
    I just tested Napoleon total war (Demo) i had high settings and it was still pretty nice and playable, though i was so lost and got beat up :D. Just dont like the time period... was fun though, but anyway i think my comp ran that one way way better than bfbc2.

Oh well, quess we will see when the game comes out. Again thanks a lot for your replys, so friendly community :)
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Hi again hcolyle,
    Using a demo is, unfortunately, almost no measure of your system's handling of the full game. Demos are neccessarily a truncated form of the game with many systems eliminated, and many routines substituted with fixed results or none.

I regularly test applications, and the useage difference between BFBC2 and NTW is off the chart. Firstly, BFBC2 uses considerably less CPU capacity, and is more likely to challenge video capability first BUT ONLY ON LARGE RESOLUTION. NTW is a torment to CPUs that are slow freq, and a challenge to video on nearly any modern resolution unless you turn many to all effects way down or off. As a particular example, the cards mentioned in the BFBC2 min sys reqs will not really run NTW at anything above a slideshow (if that).

That said, we almost always will agree that anyone should wait for game release and THEN see what is what. As Lordmaximus and Iscaran both said, or meant to say, if you get a new vid card you will be getting a better card in March 2011 for less than you can get one now- and you don't need it till then!
    Cheers,
    Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

edited January 2011
    Dont feel like making new thread about this but now when we know the system requirements, you think my computer can run the game? I dont care so much if i cant run it on high graphics, im happy how i can run Napoleon total war... so can i expect same kind of performance on lower settings or something? (tested napeoleon on ~high settings)

#EDIT#

Just now found out your latest post AlJabberwock. But i still think demo gives you pretty good feeling if you can play the game or not... but anyways i would like to hear your opinion if i can run the game with my current specs, im in army now and i have like 257 days left to go \o/ so i dont feel like upgrading now :P
    edited January 2011
    Hey guy!
    Boy I do have to say the more I look at that card on paper, the less I like it. On statistics, its about HALF the capability of a 230, the next higher budget card of that now two generations-ago line. On the other hand, if you don't mind turning stuff down - or off (like shadows- Do it! You won't notice after a few minutes.) - and your resolution isn't too high (smaller screen- say below 22"), you may be able to run it satisfactorily with even one or two things on medium... I say this because the DX11 items won't be an issue since your card won't support them. Based on the core and the pixel/texture rates, probably want AA and AS as low as possible as well. Anyway, I will be interested to know how it operates (if it does).

Hey listen, when you get out, DUDE, the price of new DX11 cards will be WAAAY lower and you should be able to get some pretty decent ones for less. There are some in the circa $100 range right now, and better ones will be there soon, and for even less as NVidia and AMD are engaged in a bout of cannibalistic 'chicken' to see whose manufacturers can be driven out of business first.

Good on ya for serving, stay safe!

Al

edited January 2011
    My screen is 19" im just so used to have monitor of this size and yeh i dont mind if i have to keep AA and AS as low as possible and maybe disable shadows... been playing some Rome Total War so graphics are not so important for me :) And yeh, im probably going to by the game, if its totaly unplayable i just have to wait untill i upgrade my stuff... and oh well, i have other things to do also ^^

Thank you for your answers, you have been very helpful and ill stay safe! :)
    edited January 2011
    Cool, and keep in touch, let us know whats going on!

Al

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,224Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Demos can give you an idea of whether your PC can run the game, but its not always the rule. For example, Doom 3's demo ran horribly on my old desktop, so I didn't buy it on release. A month later or so I visited my friend's home, and he was playing D3 with a very similar-specced desktop, and not even on lowest settings either. From then on I knew demos weren't reliable indicators of sys reqs.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited February 2011
    Quite true... in fact, the opposite can also be the case.

edited February 2011
    Wiii, found avatar already!

Im pretty sure this is exactly my computer:
    http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01797521&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3953004&prodTypeId=12454

Me and my friend were talking about this and he said that my motherboard is pretty "good" when it comes to upgrading stuff... though we also found out that my Power Supply is going to cause trouble. My friend suggested ATI Radeon HD 5450 @ 650 MHz, how you think that would help me out and sup again.

#EDIT# Btw no idea why that url no longer opens the right site O.o
    edited February 2011
    Um, the 5450 is actually a step _down_ if that is possible, from the 220 - I souldn't reccommend spending money to do THAT! ;)

edited February 2011
    Limited screen size, not concerned with settings quality, you could try the 5670 or GTS 250... You will find trhese in and around the $100 mark or less in the US on Newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%204027&IsNodeId=1&name=%2475%20-%20%24100
    The 5670 has faster memory, but the 250 has wider interface so their bandwidth is roughly the same. We know that both these cards will play NTW reasonably with some settings lowered, so should be able to play S2 with limited settings.

edited February 2011
    I noticed that GTS 250 supports DirectX 10... but shouldnt i be getting video card which supports directX 11? So i quess ATI Radeon HD 5670 is better one... atleast for me? But how about my power supply, will it be enough for that one?

And is something going to start being bottleneck if i get that 5670?
    edited February 2011
    NO doubt, you are going to be CPU bottlenecked with a better Vid card, and also yes, the DX11 card is the 5670. This is the thing about trying to just keep the old thing going, in the short run its cheaper, but in one way or another you're throwing more good money after bad... You're always going to just be bumping up against the next bottleneck and the next and so on. 5670 isn't too demanding, but depending on the version you may need PCIe cables, so you would want to make certian your PSU had these or adapters come with the card you are buying (otherwise you'll have to get them yourself, AND make certain your PSU has some spare molex plugs available).

EDIT, Yeah if you really DO have a proprietary 300 Watt PSU in that computer, its junk and won't support anything modern worthy of the name. You'll have to upgrade your PSU before you can use a decent card, and that means you have to make sure a new one will fit in that propietary machine you have (e.g. making sure there aren't weird obstructions or size issues, scoops, housings, aztec stone highways to HP headquarters and the like... ;)

edited February 2011
    Meh, seems like im not going to upgrade anything then... I cant bother to get new power supply, fight with all the issues etc. Since im not very familiar with computers so im going to run in trouble for sure... quess i just need to wait untill i buy totally new computer and invest a bit more monny that time, i needed to get new screen last time so that ate some of the monny. (And not to buy HP,acer,etc computer next time.)

Quess ill come back and say if i can run the S2 or not.
    edited February 2011
    Sorry hcoyle, I don't want to turn you off on an upgrade, I am saying that you will have certain limits because you have some dated components. In the shortrun the 5670 is a significant improvement over what you have - it will need a new PSU most likley, and it can only go so far of course, and that is the message.

If you are resolved to try the game first, it WOULD be interesting to know what you find. If you find it is running but limited, I would seriously consider confronting the PSU and graphic card issue. You can always transfer those to a new build later. I would also say, if we get you to put those two things in there successfully, you have gone an important step down the road to getting ready to put your own machine together! (Uh oh!)

Al

edited February 2011
    If i upgrade my PSU and G card and transfer those to a new build later.. lets say afer 2 - 3 years. And finaly when im going to get better computer those 2 parts are going to be outdated big time / cool new bottleneck for me, so i think its just better for me to hope that i get random hardware error and i get my monny back or just wait those few years untill im bored to watch youtube videos about new games.

And when im going to get new comp, ill ask some of my friends who i know for sure that they know about computers, give them my budged, they give me specs and ill order them from place where they build the comp ready for me if i pay 50e extra.

Hopefully im able to run S2 and its not totaly **** looking, if i cant run it ill just leave it catch some dust and play the games i can run.

#EDIT# AND if i can run it and im happy how it runs... i dont need new PC ever again :D ... or maybe when Total War: Rome 2 comes out :p
    edited February 2011
    LOL

Cool beans, good luck and do let us know what you find?

Al

edited February 2011
    Ahaaa!

Hello again, this day is the day my rookie time in army is over and i got promoted \o/
    But anyways, i noticed that they have launched Demo of S2 and im going to test that one out and tell how it works for me :>
    edited February 2011
    Cool! Let us know. Just remember not to raise your hand when they ask for volunteers. ;)

Al

edited February 2011
    Its some times good idea to be a volunteer ^^

But anyway, im playing the demo on ultra settings, there is not much difference from medium -> ultra but yeh its demo. But i think it looks kinda **** because demo doesnt allow you to use any AA... dunno why. But the units look pretty **** because of that :P

Like the campaing stuff they have build in S2... there are many new things since i havent played empire,napoleon etc. I think im going to be able run the game with "okay"-settings
    edited February 2011
    Keep in mind that the Demo is released in DX9 (not 11) so there are two shader levels to move up as well as all the other API and related subroutines to do with higher order DX versions. Additionally, the full game will not have missing subroutines, will have subroutines instead of scripts and also have full options and all of THEIR subroutines, so do not expect the game on full release to neccessarily be as easy on the system as the demo. Hopefully they will find enough optimizations left to diminish the increased demand, but that is not a certainty.

edited March 2011
    MMMMmmmm :S

You always know how to return me back to surface :I