Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Debug cam and replays: hotfix coming

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,144Registered Users
edited November 2014 in Total War: SHOGUN 2
The "debug camera" issue is one we've noticed has stirred a fair bit of reaction lately, so we wanted to give you an update as to our thinking on this one.

Each time we make a decision, we do so because we think it's right for the game. We removed the debug cam in the spirit of fair play, but we had no earthly clue just how popular it was until we announced the patch details and saw your reaction.

The "feature" was never intended for public consumption, and a variety of people complained that its presence undermined the multiplayer community. That said, others in the multiplayer community tell us that it's essential to drive top-level competition, and that some of the greatest TW battles ever fought have been fought with equal debug-enabled advantage.

So, we’ve decided that the best solution is to re-enable this camera, and will be doing that in a hotfix released shortly (likely in the next couple of days). We also recognise that there have been some issues with battle replays, so I’m pleased to say we’ve fixed those too and that also forms part of the hotfix.

We're glad to see so many people enjoying Fall of the Samurai this week. As we always aim for with Total War releases, hopefully you'll love it for years to come.
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• LucullusLucullus Senior Member Posts: 156Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Credits to CA for this essential decission and also about the fix for the replays.
  • SkollopSkollop Senior Member Behind you :OPosts: 3,275Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I'm sorry to hear about your decision about the debug cam. It's clearly an unfair advantage to those who use it, still you re-enable it. Add it as an option for everyone or leave it out.
    Previously known as DenmarkRules
  • (Darkelf) Temper(Darkelf) Temper Senior Member Posts: 541Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Thanks CA letting us all know. =)

Also looking forward to replays working again.
  • AggonyDuckAggonyDuck Senior Member Posts: 3,641Registered Users, Smiley
    edited March 2012
    Great news! Thanks for listening to us. You just made a whole lot of players happy. :)
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,876Registered Users, Moderators
    edited March 2012
    You can never please everyone, but I wish, in the lines of DenmarkRules, that in future titles, the debug cam would be an option to choose in the pre-battle screen.

Also renaming it would be great ;).
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,912Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Glad to see replays have been fixed. Been waiting on that for a long time.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Posts: 4,606Moderators
    edited March 2012
    Good news. I'll be more than happy to ask for the 'how to' post to be stickied so at least the general forumites can have a (relatively) even playing field.
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...
  • tricky-steptricky-step Senior Member Posts: 204Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I'm sorry to hear about your decision about the debug cam. It's clearly an unfair advantage to those who use it, still you re-enable it. Add it as an option for everyone or leave it out.

I agree with this. Give people the explicit choice to use it, at least then its fair for everyone.

Also, could you please bring back Fkey grouping? I have no idea why it was taken out to begin with, and that small feature made army movement so much easier for me.
  • TyrariaTyraria Senior Member Posts: 306Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    CA chicken you do something to prevent cheating since " it was not supposed to public comsumption" and then you say all right cheat away?this is an outrage!
  • Duke of CoffeeDuke of Coffee Senior Member Posts: 125Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys.For me that CA cares and listen to the funs and supports their games is great but i think the priority about patching the game must be about the Battle AI..!I was very satisfied with S2-S2ROTS and even Napoleon after the patches and i don't want to talk about Empire and i know and have played all the games since first game STW but my humble opinion the bigest problem in FOTS i say again is the AI.Crazy and bad stuff hapens in my campaign like Skirmisers that don't skirmish at all and the just charGe in front of my lines in meele and they loose badly.And the list is so big.!It seems to me we are kinda back to ETW big,big AI issues.So i think we need a Patch or hotfix for the AI and i hope that CA will deliver one for us.I hope.And btw exept the ai i love this game one of CA greatest.:cool:
  • HallorranHallorran Senior Member Posts: 130Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for listening and re-enabling the debug camera which is available to all via their preferences script also many thanks for fixing replays.

Can I also thank HiddenGunman, ILoveTWGames and friends for thier tireless lobbying to bring the debug camera back :P
    AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon
  • IRGIRG Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Awesome. I can finally fully enjoy the game. Thank you.
    There is nothing impossible to him who try.
  • PinxitPinxit Senior Member Posts: 199Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    I bought the game now.
  • treetree Senior Member Posts: 806Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Ya know this is good for the longer run as well as CA may include this cam in the menu for future releases. Good on you CA.
  • treetree Senior Member Posts: 806Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Good news. I'll be more than happy to ask for the 'how to' post to be stickied so at least the general forumites can have a (relatively) even playing field.

This is a good idea.
    edited March 2012
    @ AggonySp00n Your welcome for the lobbying of getting back a just as horrible script enabled developer cam.Feel special now ? =)

So now that it's officially endorsed,how much noise is the massive number of sixty odd that petitioned for it's return as is,going to make about getting it refined and put into the actual game options menu ?

How about it CA,I got problems with the cam zooming under ground level,unresponsive key control for movement ? Would you advise me to change my preferences script to read only,so as not to lose the officially endorsed changes to it when patching,crashing or even just opening the game menu ?

It is supported now right ?

Like I said elsewhere,we've gone full circle,buisness as usual,nothing to see here,everybody move along. =)
  • BengalTigerBengalTiger Senior Member Posts: 492Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Errr.... Well if that's the case, in the spirit of "fair play", perhaps one should clearly explain how one goes about making use of such a camera... I now feel that a number of my losses have been explained by yet another arcane feature of the game.
  • AggonyKingAggonyKing Senior Member Posts: 365Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    your loses will never involve a camera in it. A simple search though will lead you here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17C1k_ZCar0
  • TempiicTempiic Senior Member Posts: 220Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Huzzah :)

With this the cam and the replay hotfix update, and that apparantly the dissappearancesoft grouping being just an undocumented change, today is a pretty good day.
    ~o~ Brotherhood of Aggony ~o~

Unrestricted Camera Tweak
    edited March 2012
    That would depend on the size of the camera and the strength of the guy throwing it at him wouldn't it. =/

Or better still,wait for CA to get a sticky up for the instructions. =) It's endorsed now folks,much responsibilty.
    edited March 2012
    Thank you very much for the link.

As for your comment that losses would never have been prevented by the use of this cam - I dissagree. This makes it a bit harder to get flanked - and explains how I never seemed to be able to surprise certain players in spite of they having units spread all over the map.
    edited March 2012
    What you never wondered why you can't catch some players cav sitting idle ? hehehe
    edited March 2012
    oh i have been wondering... but there are only so many hours in the day
  • HallorranHallorran Senior Member Posts: 130Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    @ AggonySp00n Your welcome for the lobbying of getting back a just as horrible script enabled developer cam.Feel special now ? =)

So now that it's officially endorsed,how much noise is the massive number of sixty odd that petitioned for it's return as is,going to make about getting it refined and put into the actual game options menu ?

How about it CA,I got problems with the cam zooming under ground level,unresponsive key control for movement ? Would you advise me to change my preferences script to read only,so as not to lose the officially endorsed changes to it when patching,crashing or even just opening the game menu ?

It is supported now right ?

Like I said elsewhere,we've gone full circle,buisness as usual,nothing to see here,everybody move along. =)

I think you'll find whatever the numbers there were more people lobbying for it to come back than against, despite you posting over and over in each thread and on our forums about it, seriously get over it now and move onto somethingelse.
    AggonySpoon, MizuSpoon
    edited March 2012
    Hallorran wrote: »
    I think you'll find whatever the numbers there were more people lobbying for it to come back than against, despite you posting over and over in each thread and on our forums about it, seriously get over it now and move onto somethingelse.

You don't agree with my claim of support from CA for the endorsed cameras ? I'm a sad pander

You baited the hook bro,don't like the fish you caught ? =)
  • TyrariaTyraria Senior Member Posts: 306Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    since there were no polls and just a few angry people lobbying for their unfair advantage to come back i rather doubt it.
  • RuseRuse Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Thanks Craig and CA!

You have made a lot of people very happy!:)
    [URL="http://brotherhoodo***gony.com/"]Aggony Clan

[/URL]Friendship, Fun, and Honor
  • AggonyKingAggonyKing Senior Member Posts: 365Registered Users
    edited March 2012
    Thank you very much for the link.

As for your comment that losses would never have been prevented by the use of this cam - I dissagree. This makes it a bit harder to get flanked - and explains how I never seemed to be able to surprise certain players in spite of they having units spread all over the map.
    dude, mini map plus every time a hidden unit appears there's this dude that tells you "hidden units my lord! etc". Nothing to do with camera.
    edited March 2012
    Tyraria wrote: »
    since there were no polls and just a few angry people lobbying for their unfair advantage to come back i rather doubt it.
    There was a poll,but not on this forum,it was at TWcentre,it attracted around 100 or so voters if I remember correctly.
    edited March 2012
    The mini map helps to certain extent - but then you have 2 maps to look at. This is a matter of focus and being able to have an overall view of the landscape.

Well, like anything, proof will be in the pudding - we'll have the answer soon enough if/when my win rate rockets above 70%.