Hi, I wanted to share this articles I found on the always troublesome discussion of hardware GPU or CPU limits in games.
Or in other words - how good a CPU do I need so that my decent graphics card is not bored doing nothing ?
Well - Tom's hardware did a very nice testing of 20 ! games with a solid mid-class i5 and a solid mid-class GTX 460 768MB and to sum up the results:
1) In most games a fast dual-core CPU is still sufficient (Fast meaning 3GHz or more)
2) In most games and 1920x1080 with full settings the games run in the GPU limit (with only a GTX460 768MB). A faster GPU might still profit from OCed dualcores or fast quadcores anyway.
3) Only in some games more than 2 cores seem to be necessary. Interestingly the DX11 games seem to be less multicore optimized and do not profit as much or as often from more than 2 cores. Which is strange as I would have expected that DX11 should be much better in this way than DX9 per design - but this multicore programming probably just needs time for the developers to adopt fully for DX11 as well.
4) Personal curiosity about Dragon Age actually running in CPU limit on dual - cores !
5) General consideration: the TW series are IMHO pretty CPU intense, especially in large battles so I would assume for a decent ETW/NTW/STW2 a good quadcore for 150€ might be a better choice to go before rushing out 500€ for the ultimate GPU just to get a CPU limit.
Anyway here are the articles unfortunately I could only find a german version - not sure if Tom's hardwareguide will translate them:
If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this
and follow the instructions.