Adorbs

Map Editor - TEd

Elliott Lock CAElliott Lock CA The Creative AssemblyPosts: 57Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
Hello Total War Forums,

First let me introduce myself. My names Elliott Lock, I’m a Designer on Total War and today I’m going to be unveiling “TEd”, your new best friend.

“TEd” or “The Editor” is an in-house map creation tool. That’s right, you guessed it! We’re giving you the very same tool we used to create all of the maps you know and love in Total War: Shogun 2 and Fall Of The Samurai. Along with the release of “TEd” we’ve made some updates to the game, these updates help support user created maps by allowing users to share maps in game. So now you can imagine, create, play and share Land, Siege and Naval battles. So without further ado, let’s get you all introduced to “TEd”.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER
Incorrect use/implementation of TEd and user created content can crash your build. Please fully read all attached documentation before use.
If a crash occurs while attempting to play user based content, please ensure the content follows the guidelines laid out in our TEd Documentation.

Launching “TEd”
  • Open Steam.
  • Within Steam select Library.
  • At the top of the screen select the drop down box with the default name “ALL GAMES”.
  • Now select “TOOLS”.
  • Select and install “Total War: Shogun 2 - TEd”.
  • Once installed run “Total War: Shogun 2 - TEd”.
  • Congratulations. You’ve loaded the Total War editor, “TEd”.

Tutorial
Attached to this post you’ll find a document named “TEd Documentation.pdf”. This document outlines the basic how to’s of map creation. Please read this document in full before attempting to create, load and share a battle map.

Sharing
Sharing maps is handled in game. But if you wish to share maps manually, then you will need to copy the battle map data (BMD) folder into "%appdata%\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\Maps\". Note this directory will not be created until you have saved at least one map out of "TEd".

Enjoy!
With the basics outlined we hope you all have fun creating maps. All of us at The Creative Assembly can't wait to see what you create!
Post edited by Elliott Lock CA on
Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

[url=https:/twitter.com/elliottlock]Follow @elliottlock[/url]

Comments

• LSDLSD Senior Member Posts: 860Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Aw man. If i could RUN Shogun 2, you know i'd buy it CA.

What about a map editor/creator for Napoleon? Empire maybe? No? Ok :(
    It'd be so much fun placing more of those rarely-seen farmhouse buildings all over the map.
    [portable-ID]lsd[/portable-ID]
    Feel free to check out my Steam guide on naval combat in E:TW
  • AleGAleG Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Can't access this yet? Shogun 2 hasn't been updated and I can't see it in the tools section of Steam. I've restarted Steam several times.
  • LemonCurryLemonCurry Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Can`t get to it either.
    "Oops" - Rick Perry, governor of Texas.
    You quote the saints.
    You quote the wise.
    I quote Rick Perry.
  • LYNCHYLYNCHY Senior Member Posts: 243Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    LemonCurry wrote: »
    Can`t get to it either.
    Nope neither can I, i was hoping to get it installed while i revised but i guess that isnt going to happen :(
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) WORLD DOMINATION
  • evilandyevilandy Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Got it installing, I got it by accepting terms and conditions by loading shogun 2 and then restarting steam and it appeared in my tool section.
  • CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative Assembly Posts: 1,120Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!
    edited May 2012
    Should be live now :)
  • LemonCurryLemonCurry Junior Member Posts: 17Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Yay it works :DD
    "Oops" - Rick Perry, governor of Texas.
    You quote the saints.
    You quote the wise.
    I quote Rick Perry.
  • iWarsawiWarsaw Senior Member Posts: 363Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOOOOOOOOOOOME!

I can't use it at all, but it's great! Been a long time since I've used a map editor.
  • PhishPhish Senior Member Posts: 233Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    where do I go to play it there is no option to open it ?
    Edit: as in it is not in my tool option
  • Hellhound1Hellhound1 Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Right, how do you play a custom map on MP? I'm on there, but the map doesnt show up when i try to host. It comes up ok in custom battles, but ive gone avatar campaign -> conquest map -> battle list -> host. But nope my map doesnt show up as an option.
    is there something i need to do?
  • Elliott Lock CAElliott Lock CA The Creative Assembly Posts: 57Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited May 2012
    Hellhound1 wrote: »
    Right, how do you play a custom map on MP? I'm on there, but the map doesnt show up when i try to host. It comes up ok in custom battles, but ive gone avatar campaign -> conquest map -> battle list -> host. But nope my map doesnt show up as an option.
    is there something i need to do?

Hi Hellhound1,

Firstly please check you've followed the instructions correctly. If so it looks like there could be a small bug with the UI. Could you try pressing the select map button and scrolling to find your map. If it's not there then select another map then try again to find your map. It could be a refresh issue. Also please try changing the battle type to something else and back again.

Hope this helps.

Elliott
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

[url=https:/twitter.com/elliottlock]Follow @elliottlock[/url]
    edited May 2012
    Hi mate,

It looks like a UI bug.
    I changed to naval battles and back and the map showed up.
    Cheers.
  • CA_SteveCA_Steve Creative Assembly Posts: 75CA Staff
    edited May 2012
    Hi Hellhound1,

Make sure you have "Key Buildings" unselected in the battle lobby as this can cause your map to not show up in the list.

Steve
  • RealWarfareRealWarfare Senior Member Posts: 2,035Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited May 2012
    Hi, I was wondering, why can't vegetation be tighter :(? The trees have a crazy distance to each other no matter what option I change, and I really want a quite dense forest
    The best is yet to come
    edited May 2012
    Hi steve, i had a look and its not selected, however this time the maps showed up.
    Very confused but thanks for the help.
  • SwishSwish Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Hello,

Now I followed the guide exact and have made myself a nice 2v2 map for my clan, my only problem is the deployment zones. I did exactly what it said in the pdf file but whenever I reload the map the zones are never there; How would I go about making 4 deployment zones 2 for each teams, instead of just placing them and vanishing next time I try and load them up ingame or in the editor.

Regards
    edited May 2012
    @realwarfare: That can be changed by going to vegetation, select_trees, and on the right of each tree type you've selected, theres a box with a choice from 0 - 1. change each one to 0 and they're tightly packed.

@swish: i read somewhere thats a known bug. i think its at the very end of the documentation
  • SwishSwish Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Yeah I saw it and did the manual way and it still doesn't save, but thank you for saying.
    edited May 2012
    Im having the same problem myself now, and from what i can tell, the program isnt assigning any values to the deployment zones, the coords for each one are 0,0 and so it isnt generating the xml properly.
  • mushinmushin Member Posts: 84Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Is it possible to change the map size?
  • CornPCornP Member Posts: 59Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    this is soo cool! I love making my own stuff for games and Shogun 2 is my favorite RTS of all time!
    Thanks, CA, you rock
  • HeirofAlexanderHeirofAlexander Senior Member Posts: 1,088Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    This would have been really cool. If only I had Shogun 2...
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,014Moderators
    edited October 2012
    This would have been really cool. If only I had Shogun 2...

You can get it for a song and it might be on sale soon.

Just sayin'. :p
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • PrimergyPrimergy Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Short question - where does ted get the placeable buildings for battle maps from?

Are they automaticly "found" by the editor in the pack files, or do i have to edit any list? Or is it impossible to add new building? ^^
  • Frodo45127Frodo45127 Junior Member Posts: 6Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    There is a db table, "Battlefield_buildings", that controls what buildings are visible in TEd.
  • wittlemidget9wittlemidget9 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    I think this a problem with steam but I'll ask anyway, I cannot seem to download the TEd editor at all (it just times out after trying to find the files) I have tried this over the course of 3 days, is this a Steam related problem, a CA problem or just my incompetence? I really want to try out these editors, the Assembly Kit is downloading fine unless it's part of the kit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • MisterFro9MisterFro9 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited February 2014
    Why don't we have a Rome II version of this may I ask?
  • HaedarHaedar Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited October 2014
    Hope in the future they will makes one for cmap and bmap of twr2.