Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

hardest faction to fight against

SeasickSeasick Junior MemberPosts: 10Registered Users
edited May 2012 in Total War: Shogun 2
In your various campaigns, which faction gave you the most trouble in conquering Japan?
Post edited by Seasick on

Comments

• wealthyempirewealthyempire Senior Member USAPosts: 1,085Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    S2 it's the Ikko Ikki. If they survive the early game then they just won't die despite being at war with everyone around them. Then I end up having to deal with them personally. Even then their fairly tenacious.
    Guides and other informative threads
    S2, RotS, FotS Economic Quick Reference Guides
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=462317
    Check out post #2 (S2) and post #9 (RotS) for other informative threads
    The Sekigahara Campaign 2012 TWC Modding Awards Winner (Team Member)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1841
  • grumhiegrumhie Senior Member Posts: 437Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    yeah, the ikko ikki are probaly the most annoying faction to take out. problem is they start out with very good provinces so you can often get super accuary bow ronin/monks stacks marching at you that inflict heavy casualties. also, their rich provinces give them a good aerly income so they grow fast initially and take more rich provinces. i've seen some campaigns with ikko ikki shogunate's and a 30 province ikko empire to take out and convert. the shoni suck as well as they often turn cristian and start out very rich and are a pain in the *ss to take out late game because they often have trade nodes, about 4 stacks, and you need to invade them by sea. i useally wait until the end before i take them out, block their ports, destroy their navy and then go on a looting spree across the island until they cave in to the pressure.
  • GuardianOfBlindGuardianOfBlind Senior Member Posts: 947Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Whichever grows to 14+ provinces in given campaign :p
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,610Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    In Shogun 2, I have noticed that the Ikko Ikki, Oda, Usuegi, and Shoni clans develop pretty fast and turn into a pain to defeat. Especially the Ikko Ikki as their Ronin are superb and they have great accuracy versus Bow Samurai. The only faction that I can think of that can give the Ikko Ikki a hard time is the Chosokabe as their archers are also pretty good. Though now that I have Darthmod installed, many other clans are also begging to expand as much as the major clans are. For example, when I was playing as the Date, the Homna clan was making landfall in my enemy lands and were going to siege their castle; quick thinking by using my Ninja prevented the Homna from taking that settlement. Oddly enough too is that the Homna entered my battle with the Mogumi clan, and just waited in the pre-deployment phase of the battle-map and did not even come into the battle, the only thing they did was kill some routing troops that I had chased to them. Without a doubt that was the oddest thing that I have ever seen, and wished I had made a video of it to show my friends of how useless the AI ally is when you are winning. lol
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • Sacred BandSacred Band Member Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I really was surprised that nobody didn't say Takeda. In my campaigns (played about dozen times) Takeda and Hojo always ally and really kick **** in middle Japan, unless you play with clans which start around the same region. I've found that defeating Takeda at harder difficulty levels really demands some skill in diplomacy.
    "Winner knows the means to victory, loser the explanations"
  • SecuterSecuter Senior Member Posts: 1,801Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Takaoka! sometimes Hatano. also Takeda. although the first and the last were huge I was allied to them and ended my campaign as me in between them. No other clans were left :p
    Make a Medieval 3!
    More units.
    More interested in European history.
    Different cultures.
    More factions.
    Not that many gun powder troops, it's not a new Empire I want.
  • Colonel MallardColonel Mallard Senior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Hatekayema. I don't want a war with them, but I need their regions in the early game, and they say no to peace and come back to bite me when I least expect it. I cannot be expected to jog all the way to their next province from Iga just because I needed Settsu. Not that they typically are a significant threat, just a persistent annoyance.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

Total War:Barbarian Invasion 2:The Invadening
  • yoshisukeyoshisuke Senior Member Posts: 277Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Hatekayema. I don't want a war with them, but I need their regions in the early game, and they say no to peace and come back to bite me when I least expect it. I cannot be expected to jog all the way to their next province from Iga just because I needed Settsu. Not that they typically are a significant threat, just a persistent annoyance.

Your best hope is to ask their neighbour to join the war so they also lose their other provinces..
  • Skyress1000Skyress1000 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Takeda and Hojo, in my games they usually they end up allying and creating around a 20-30 province land mass east of Kyoto, one time they ended up fighting each other and Hojo ended up owning the whole entire area in that region.
  • SeasickSeasick Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Takeda and hojo indeed they allways join up. This time however I am playing with Date and declared war against takeda, hojo joined me :D
    edited April 2012
    Whichever grows to 14+ provinces in given campaign :p

nah. there's no problem with steamrolling the backlands of the takeda as the date if theyre fighting in the east. its all about strenght. i've had more problems with 3 province moderate clans then 30 province superpowers simply becuase of the fact that those 3 province minors often have 2 stacks to defeat for my 1 stack. its all about the strenght and annoyance they are. i.e., clans with diffrent religions are a pain in the butt to take out as you cant just steamroll them, while clans with large armies in big castles are a pain to wait out or lose half a stack on the siege.
  • PriyonPriyon Senior Member Posts: 213Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Hardest faction to put up fight against?

Ikko Ikki. They end up owning whole North Japan (east of Kyoto in the default camera rotation) and push south (west of Kyoto) as soon as they have succeeded in defeating Uesugi, Date and other northern Factions. Me, as Chosokabe, didn't get out of Shikoku because of the fear of Ikko Ikki ruining my grand navy.

Second one is Uesugi, of course. They end up conquering most of northern factions including Takeda in the campaign I am playing right now. They go on until they reach the Shogun. And then they try to move south until stopped dead in their tracks by Ikko Ikki and then they both fight a long, unending, attritional and bloody ruining war. Ikko gets the upper hand, but Uesugi also puts up heroic defense and recaptures their lands back.

Note - Ikko-Ikki vs Uesugi war can also be termed as a kind of Crusade, due to both factions having warrior monks and both are religiously oriented. :)

ROTS:

The hardest one here is probably Yashima Taira, because they have central position. Fukuhara Taira guards their rear (@ss, to be precise *whistling* :D ), while they go on and conquer other southern clans. Mind you, they begin near the same place where Mori begins.

Kamakura Minamoto, ending up conquering north central Japan and wage a long bloody war against Fujiwara families.
    edited April 2012
    in fots its matsumae by far. they end up having the north of japan and ezo and often have at least 3 stacks running around and it doesnt matter how many you kill as youll never even get to their lands before the campaign is over. imperial equavilant of satsuma but satsuma can be invaded much easier.

in rots it depends on the running of the campagin. i had minor clans owning whole south japan, massive allies to ruin in RD, a combined fujiwara northern block. if i had to pick one: the sea taira. he stands back to back with the other , strong taira, but he can just conquer the south of japan without opposition of major clans and often gets control of at least 1 trade node and has superiour ships guarding it. he often settles on some islands making him difficult to eradicate with the slow allegiance conversion and allowing him to keep mustering defences and annoying your navy. by the time you get to him you had either to destroy the other taira clan +eventual more major clans, resulting in battered forces or having to defend your other border against the minamoto as the other taira clan while also dealing with annoying revolting vassels

in regular s2 i have to add some more clans to to the hard to eradicate clans.

ikko are number ONE. annoying ikko faith to fight, warrior monk garrisons that are superiour to regular ones, assualting generals spread ikko belief as well, their home provinces are a pain to take out and makes a great border, and inspired vetted ikko ashigaru can stand up tofresh samurai. in one scentence a pain in the @ss to take out. the only advantage is that they often have mini RD's requireing them to spread their forces, thogh it can also let you end with ****py borders and more enemies as well.

takeda-hojo-imagawa triumviate is probaly harder to fight as you have to fight 3 large strong clans that own central and east japan, driving you into RD as well if you arent already. stronger millitary but nolarge amount of monk garrisons and religion to eradicate

takeda-hojo alliance.
    if a clan takes the imagawa out early you often have a takeda-hojo alliance ownign east japan in a long and bloody atrition war with the ikko and whoever took out the imagawa, and sometimes the date. less strong then the the oaobve 2 , but still a pain to take out.

the amako/whoever holds west honshu. large amount of territory driving you into RD, but not much more.
  • RorgefortRorgefort Member Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Tips for those Takeda/Hojo games- if you're rich enough, just before RD bribe one of them to break faith with the other and ally with you- then keep the alliance sweet throughout the bloody civil war. Such a massive help to keep doomstacks off your back and also distract two very powerful rivals.

Oh yeah, and of all the clans that are filled with fail it's got to be the Mori- I've never seen them be able to construct a decent sized empire. They always die off really fast, same as the Shimazu actually, which is surprising because the Shimazu opening is **** easy.
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,610Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Another one I just thought of, Homna and all of those minor clans. How the heck are they able to have one and a half full stack armies is beyond me,especially when they have only one or two regions, and I have five to ten regions and have an hard enough time even having one full stack. lol
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • Death KnellDeath Knell Junior Member Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Secuter wrote: »
    Takaoka! sometimes Hatano. also Takeda. although the first and the last were huge I was allied to them and ended my campaign as me in between them. No other clans were left :p

Cannot agree more, the takaoka always dominate western honshu, Takeda usually dominate although I find they usually get repressed by Oda/Usegui/.