Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Choosing the Republican option, or how to get really really depressed.

Ancient_RuffianAncient_Ruffian Senior MemberPosts: 2,735Registered Users
Just a few tips for people wanting to do something different and go down the road to the first Republic of Japan.

This is what happens at realm divide:

1. the victory conditions change. You have to take fifty regions. So the game effectively changes from a long campaign to a domination campaign.

2. All your Ishin Shishi dishappear. No more Ishin Shishi.

Within three turns of realm divide:

1. everyone stops trading with you, even your vassals, who stop being your vassals. In English, there's not a lot of difference between "vassal" and "weasel", when you come to think of it.

2. everyone declares war on you. This isn't the "nudge nudge wink wink, I was only joking, old boy. Give us a few thousand koku and we'll say no more about it" kind of declaration of war. Diplomacy after realm divide for republicans is dead. It's kill or be killed.

The AI sends fleet after fleet to raid your trade routes, bombard your provinces and harass your shipping. They send agent after agent to make your life a misery.

So with no trade, even if you are earning a few thousand every turn, you'll be losing money repairing stuff that the enemy keeps breaking.

To sum up, the game is programmed to make the republic option really really unpleasant.

But stuff it, I'm going to hang on in to the bitter end. I have twenty provinces, it's still only 1872, and the Satsuma Republican Army is marching. I still have around 140,000 smackers, and armies a-bristle with cannons and gatlings. Come at me, you antiquated Samurai and you Imperial "Foh da Empowah!" zealots!

Marching Song of the SRA
We march on
We march on,
With our flag unfurled
We march on
We march on
Us against the world

We fight against oppression
In the land of the rising sun
We'll blow apart Tradition
with our Armstrong guns

We march on
We march on,
Tomorrow's sun will dawn
We march on
We march on,
A new age will be born
OSWALD: This ancient ruffian, sir, whose life I have spared at suit of his gray beard,--

KENT: Thou whoreson zed! thou unnecessary letter! My lord, if you will give me leave, I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar, and daub the wall of a jakes with him. Spare my gray beard, you wagtail?
- King Lear, Act II Sc. ii

The entity previously known as The Weaver.
Post edited by Ancient_Ruffian on

Comments

• GuardianOfBlindGuardianOfBlind Senior Member Posts: 947Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the tips, I am aiming at going as republic in my current campaign as Tsu, 1 province from realm divide atm. Guess it won't be pleasant to be in middle of Japan soon...

Was also hoping I will get to keep my vassal Wakayama, who have 5 provinces now and helping me out greatly. In standard shogun 2 it was sometimes possible after RD.
  • beauregardebeauregarde Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I tried as a tosa republic. I had tons of money, a big garnison at every castle and a triple upraded police. It was only 1870 and my armies and navies where vastly superior(gatling,armstrong,us marines,reüpublican line infantry).

But it didn't help. my people kept revolting even after multiple turns, the money got less and I went bankrupt
    edited April 2012
    I got a question for the expirienced: How long does it take until the population goes pro-republic? because for me even after 10 turns they where 100% pro emperor. there wasn't even a pro republic option
    edited April 2012
    update:

This is the hell. Whole map declared war on me even the vassal. And my vassal was the one who triggered RD, so is even worse - instead of 16 provinces I would normaly have, I only have 10. Income went from 20K to 5K in matter of turns, while port repairs alone cost over 6K. The two ports in Settsu and Kawachi, which are so close that can support each other, held out for 2 turns, then got overrun by 3 fleets.

Good news are that shogunate clans still fight imperial clans. Bad news are I am right in between the two fronts, so both prefer smashing me instead of sailing around and fighting each other.
    I think I am in for the fight of my life.
    edited April 2012
    I got a question for the expirienced: How long does it take until the population goes pro-republic? because for me even after 10 turns they where 100% pro emperor. there wasn't even a pro republic option

It seems you have to rebuild all the influence buildings you had before, otherwise they keep generating pro-imperial influence
  • Ancient_RuffianAncient_Ruffian Senior Member Posts: 2,735Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    It seems you have to rebuild all the influence buildings you had before, otherwise they keep generating pro-imperial influence

Aha! That explains why Nagasaki, which used to be less than loyal and had no influence buildings, is now staunchly republican. Thanks GuardianOfBlind. :)

The thing I've found about going republican is that you have to plan to do it over a year in advance. Maybe two years. While you've still got Ishin Shishi, have them incite revolts in both allied and enemy territory alike. Because after realm divide, they're all your enemy. If your vassal/s are neighbouring clans, carefully position armies ready to roll in and annihilate them as soon as they break their alliances. The game says you cop a diplomatic penalty for doing this, but as I said, after realm divide if you're a republic the diplomatic penalty is so high anyway that no one is going to do anything other than try and wipe you out. Save money - this is most important. Have hundreds of thousands in the bank. And have a number of fleets strategically placed. You will have to sink a lot of enemy ships, but after a while they ease off on the coastal raiding because it gets too expensive for them. And train up your shinobis. These guys are indispensable.

Hey, here I am handing out advice and I haven't got anywhere near winning yet. And I'm playing on N/N! But I'm not bankrupt, still making money (not a lot though) and still in the hunt. So I must be doing something right. Fingers crossed.
    OSWALD: This ancient ruffian, sir, whose life I have spared at suit of his gray beard,--

KENT: Thou whoreson zed! thou unnecessary letter! My lord, if you will give me leave, I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar, and daub the wall of a jakes with him. Spare my gray beard, you wagtail?

edited April 2012
    Playing with the satsuma right now. It's only 1867 and the whole map is already Shogunate except me(I got all the islands)

So I will try out the republic again since I don't have trade partners and allies anymore anyway
    edited April 2012
    Can anyone tell me if I have to rebuild all the influence buildings or is it enough to build them to tier 2 and upgrade from there after realm divide as I read in some other thread
  • GoergyboyGoergyboy Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Can anyone tell me if I have to rebuild all the influence buildings or is it enough to build them to tier 2 and upgrade from there after realm divide as I read in some other thread

You can stop at tier 2 for the propaganda buildings and you'll be fine. Above magistrate though and you have to tear them down and rebuild them completely. Very handy to know.

I was caught off guard by the sudden victory condition change as well, but I prepared for the rest of the symptoms as I knew about them before hand. Every province has a citadel and a military port with 1 gun boat in it. This is important because it prevents the AI from doing naval invasions. A port with cannons prevents the AI from doing land invasions, but without that 1 ship in port the AI will simply attack the port and disable it. With the ship inside they would have to go into battle, and the AI is reluctant to do so. Even if they do your port cannons can do a lot of damage and win the match. Just keep that lone gunboat alive and the AI will often stop in its tracks and you can just wait for time to run out.

I'm doing an Aizu Republic campaign which came in handy because they have a lot of good farm land up north. With the ports preventing landings and the citadels reducing bombardment effectiveness my economy remains largely intact. I never traded or allied with anyone all game because I did not want the honor penalty and I knew that trading would be impossible once you turn republic. Still trading with the western powers, though that trade lane is being raided heavily by the AI.
    edited April 2012
    Not sure about the AI not doing naval invasions, as I've thwarted a couple of attempted ones. What the AI does is stick a full stack on a single wooden corvette or a couple of beat-up frigates. There's no sight quite as satisfying as the sight of an enemy fleet with a full stack on board heading straight to Davy Jones' Locker. Ngahahaha!

Why isn't there a *cackle maniacally while rubbing hands together* smiley???

• GoergyboyGoergyboy Senior Member Posts: 215Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    It is impossible for the AI or the player to land troops in a province with an active trade/military/drydock port. Once the port is damaged then troops can be landed.

The AI still does naval invasions, they just can't execute them. I edited my previous post to make that clearer.
  • Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    What actually triggers the realm divide? I am trying to change to Republic and its year 1873. Have 12 provinces with 3 vassals. No realm divide yet.
    edited April 2012
    SW, check your clan info panel. Your Daimyo's rep is shown as a bar that gradually gets coloured red the more battles you win and provinces you take. Once it's full you'll be given the opportunity to name one of your generals Commander in Chief. The turn following that announcement is the realm divide turn.

It's late August 1873. The Satsuma Republic has grown to 27 provinces and the Miyazu Imperial Vanguard are on the ropes. Next in line for liberation from the dark night of feudal despotism are the Tsu. Given the amount of grief they've given me, it's going to be an extremely brutal liberation.

In other news, the Gujohachiman have the Shogunistas almost beat. Sendai's only got three provinces left, the Hokkaido clan whose name I forget five, and the sad old Sados one. I gave the Sendais a few thousand koku just to keep them fighting a bit longer. They still hate me, but in a pathetically grateful way.

• Sughdian WarriorSughdian Warrior Senior Member Posts: 187Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    The Weaver wrote: »
    SW, check your clan info panel. Your Daimyo's rep is shown as a bar that gradually gets coloured red the more battles you win and provinces you take. Once it's full you'll be given the opportunity to name one of your generals Commander in Chief. The turn following that announcement is the realm divide turn.

Ah, right... just a little bit left then. Need to increase tax, and get all the money I can from these suckers before they turn on me. Cheers Weaver
  • ColonelMallardColonelMallard Senior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Completed a Tsu Domination Republic Campaign. It took a lot of false starts to work out how. Just my opinions:

1: Stop, about a province before realm divide. Make peace with your enemies, and hold of those that won't back down, but be careful to keep trying, winning batttles could send your fame meter too high and trigger the RD. Now, build up your infrastructure, technology and treasury, for about 40-45 turns, depending on personal preference. With about 300000 in the bank, all happiness arts researched and an army war college in a region with a gunsmith and a firing range (Owari or Kaga are good), push on, and trigger the realm divide.

2: Develop your propaganda to magistrate level, so that every province is at least bordered by one with propaganda. Come RD, make them all into secret societies, and make one into a military society in a safe, central, non-coastal province. Work on the spread of influence arts as a priority as well.

3. If you upgrade your castles, and build propaganda buildings and inns liberally, you can keep taxes on high, or even v' high. If it makes your people unhappy, you can alternate between very high and whatever makes them happy; it takes two turns to rebel, so if your alternate between tax settings you can boost your income for no penalty (save for town growth, very high often turns it negative, so if you really care, watch out.)

4. Get at least a spear levy in every city, to boost repression. The switch of clan allegiance can hit you hard, and if you need to exempt from taxes to control it your income will completely disappear.

5. No Imperial or Shogunate Infantry, or Shinsengumi (units and agents), or Shogitai. Battles will be tougher, but you need to just use regular line infantry. Start building Republican infantry, Guard, and Guard cav (a beefed up saber cav with a moral boost area of influence) as soon as possible, and disband your line infantry and saber cavalry as fast as you can build replacements (If they ae highly experienced though, you should probably keep them.

Those are the important things, just generally though: You need armies everywhere, and fast. The rail is most important in a republican campaign out of all the campaigns. Don't bankrupt yourself though.

Keep your foreign trade district safe, it is an important source of income. Keep a Kanko Maru or something in there at all times, and build it in a sheltered location, so enemy fleets can't just sail up and bombard it. Ise is good, and if you convert the other ports in that bay into drydocks, their coastal defenses will sink most enemy fleets that sail into range.

Upgrade inland provinces as a priority, coastal ones will just get bombarded, so it isn't worth it as much, unless you know you can protect your investment.

Enemy agents will be everywhere, and more dangerous than in previous campaigns. Maintain a Shinobi ready to take the train to any province where enemy agents are causing you trouble, upgrade his assassination skill as well.

Don't bother with any island provinces unless you have to; they take longer than necessary to get to, and if the enemy invades it is a hassle to reclaim them, or expensive to protect them. You only need one or two, even if you are doing a domination campaign.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

Total War:Barbarian Invasion 2:The Invadening
    edited April 2012
    holy moly 3 000 000 ?
    edited April 2012
    I had 250,000 to start with, and dropped 100,000 of that in the first year of the Republican campaign. I've started to earn around 9 or 10 thousand a turn now, and so I've kept my reserves steady on about 150,000. I'm not spending any more than I earn each turn, just in case something happens that necessitates spending a lot of money very quickly.

edited April 2012
    I had nothing of what you guys write about, barely had 30 000 money, caught me unprepared. Was defending only for more than year, with 1 land and 1-2 naval battles per turn, until their forces melt away. Only lost Owari which was further away than my other provinces and got attacked by 3 armies of total 7500 men and 40 cannons.

I am starting to do counter invasions and raids now. Will begin advancing under the shade of naval shells that blot outn the sun...
    And still having hop for victory and that republican flags will cover Japan.
    edited April 2012
    holy moly 3 000 000 ?
    Oops. Meant 300000. About 200000 disappeared in the first 15 turns, so every cent (or grain, this being Japan) that you save up matters. Hovered around 90000 for the rest of the campaign, then slowly started climbing around 1863.

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

• EagleScopeEagleScope Member Posts: 91Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Its simple, you take just enough land before the republic comes up, camp there and build to fully developed, build loads of legions and powerful naval (if needed) and just own the country, mind you, the game isn't really designed for you to just make a superpower and camp there dictating them, that's what so many of us miss in this game!
  • RodeRode Member Posts: 77Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    EagleScope wrote: »
    Its simple, you take just enough land before the republic comes up, camp there and build to fully developed, build loads of legions and powerful naval (if needed) and just own the country, mind you, the game isn't really designed for you to just make a superpower and camp there dictating them, that's what so many of us miss in this game!

Wish people would write what difficulty they play on when they write things like this. I have been struggling with going independent on legendary for a while now with no success and trust me I have tried the tactic you mentioned and no it is not "simple". Not impossible, but far from simple.
  • EagleScopeEagleScope Member Posts: 91Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I was on about easy or normal, your difficulty involves nothing but TOTAL WAR!
    edited April 2012
    I think the republic game elevates the difficulty level a notch. So if you're playing on Normal it effectively becomes Hard, because of the extra challenges thrown in. So if you're playing Legendary it becomes...ummm....

I've never tried playing any TW game on Very Hard or Legendary. My poor sad tired old brain isn't up to it. :)

Realm Divide and a more active AI effectively rule out the "just turtle for a while till you build up irresistible wealth and power" option. I tried that in my current campaign as the Satsuma, and out of the blue the Tsu attacked me, and dragged the rest of the Imperial clans in with them. As it was still before Realm Divide I was able to use my Ishin Shishi to create absolute havoc in his hinterland, and I also managed to negotiate separate peace deals with his allies, but even so it made a hole in the budget and the resources for when RD eventually occurred, so much so that I had to delay the start of my quest for a Japanese Republic for nearly a year.

Incidentally, I noticed during my war with the Tsu that although land battles pushed up the clan's reputation, naval battles didn't. Is this because land battles are more likely to involve armies with a general in charge, and sea battles not so much? Or is the game's coding biased in favour of Terra Firma?

edited April 2012
    Normal difficulty for me. Yet the AI still gets a lot of full stacks, regardless of how few provinces it has, so in any one area, it will outnumber me typically five to two. But I'm not complaining, winning battles you shouldn't really be winning is what total wars are all about...
    If you can't 'just turtle for a while peacefully, just do it in war. You don't have a whole lot of choice, so just build up the castles at whatever choke point you chose to stop expanding at. Get yourself some experience for your troops and generals, which is all nice to have.

• StubloreStublore Junior Member Posts: 18Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    In my experience(Hard) one of the biggest things to watch out for is any of thefactions getting too large.
    One of them had 22 provinces at RD and it was nightmare, a constant stream of full stack ships sailing down to bombard my buildings, and blockade ports. It was almost impossible to beat.

The 2nd time (Hard) I tried a different tactic:
    Embrace the world of looting my friends!
    First thing is, when approaching RD make sure you can take AT LEAST 2 towns, maybe 3 before RD triggers. These are the buffer you use to take and loot enemy towns.
    Land a large enemy behind enemy lines, far behind :), and just run around taking towns and looting them, moving on.
    Make sure to destroy all the upgrades in the towns, esp ports.
    If they revolt so what you want that, or let the computer take it back, sometime the rebels get it and they are Imperial/Shogun which slows down the opposing faction even more.
    Using the money gained you can quickly upgrade your armies, and in the early stage get Khitaei or equivalent they are seriously OP if you get them very early.

Upgrade only 2 or 3 towns militarily(Ironworks, and maybe a frontline town to to absorb the initial attacks), use the rest to produce cash, as trade drops right off after declaring Independence.

Always build large fleets, wait till you get Iron/Steel ships if possible before building.
    Use the cash from looting to get the trading district early, if you think you can afford it build the ship(maybe in one of the provinces that give 15% off ships).

Disadvantages:
    You really have to watch your generals, they are prone to deserting with your forces!
    You also need to research happiness and repression bonuses preferably before you go into RD.
    You also need to leave a few garrison units in a lot of towns, but the money made from looting more than offsets it.
    Don't build police stations above Level 2 till AFTER RD, otherwise they still support Imperial/Shogun factions.

Lastly, take another town with Ironworks on your foray behind the lines, and build it up, gives you another ready made army with bonuses in the heart of enemy territory, which means you speed up your initial attack after RD.

This was my tactic, and it made things a lot easier!
    Oh and get Geishas and Shinobi as early as possible so they are high level when RD happens.
  • adrianjadrianj Senior Member Posts: 135Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Anybody seen a vassal choose republic allegiance ever? So far they always declare war on me immediately. Even if I make them vassal post declaration. Does the mechanic for republican vassals not exist or is the lack of republican sentiment the problem ?
  • KensaiKensai Senior Member Posts: 966Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Stublore, your Generals are prone to leave you because you become a dishonorable looting scambug of a Daimyo. Never loot more than 3 regions, unless you have a huge honour surplus.
    In ancient Japan, a Kensai (剣聖, sword's saint) was an honorary title given to a warrior of legendary skill in swordsmanship. The literal translation of "Kensai" is "sword saint". Thus, the term is considered by some to imply a higher degree of perfection (possibly also encompassing a moral dimension) than the more commonly used kengō (剣豪) or "great sword".
  • VampiresbaneVampiresbane Senior Member Posts: 206Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Kensai wrote: »
    Stublore, your Generals are prone to leave you because you become a dishonorable looting scambug of a Daimyo. Never loot more than 3 regions, unless you have a huge honour surplus.

Actually after you lose the cap of -3 honor from looting 3 legions, you can't lose anymore honor. So if you've looted 3 regions there's no point in stoping! MUwhwhaha!
  • SergeantPsychoSergeantPsycho Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I'm in the same situation as Weaver (same faction as well), and I'll just add some things that I found useful that might not have been mentioned:
    1) From the outset of my campaign, I made my Daimyo my point man in terms of generals. This allows him to build up his honor which helps counter unrest.
    2)Once I was in a diplomatically and strategically stable position, yet before I was forced into choosing Republic, I spent a year upgrading my castles and my economy.
    3) Also during this period I researched several technologies dealing unrest (Seclusion, and I forgot the other)
    4)Also I put an emphasis on kneel fire and supressing fire. These two, I think help my line infrantry hold their ground against higher tier, allegience specific units that the other factions might put into play.

Just some thoughts. :)
    edited April 2012
    Well, it's late January 1876, a bitter winter envelops the islands of the Rising Sun, but the Satsuma-led republic has triumphed. After a six week siege in sub-zero temperatures, Musashi has been liberated, and the boy emperor and his court of sycophants and toadies driven into the wilds of Northern Honshu. The two remnant feudal factions, the Imperials and the Shogunate, still claw at each other in futile strife, but the whole of southern Japan is now under Republican rule and is enjoying unprecedented prosperity.

No more do I bow
    to noble or samurai
    Like a tree, I stand.

And on a slightly more prosaic note...

I thought at first that fifty provinces would mean a race to the finish, but in fact on N/N once a certain point had been reached the AI seemed to cave. Four naval invasions were attempted, and one succeeded. A sad Sado stack arrived in Hizen, on the North-west coast of Kyushu, but it was a pathetic affair, wooden cannons and levy troops, and it hung around like a bad smell for a while giving my Kyushu fleet target practice and enabling one of my Shinobis to hone his skills. Then finally my Daimyo ran it to earth with his small but extremely well equipped army and it was all over for the Sados.

I think the turning point was the acquisition of my fortieth region. From that point on enemy regions fell rather quickly as the AI made strategic blunders, defending the wrong places and attacking with one stack when they could well have attacked with three. That was also when I had enough economic clout to recruit quickly and start spending lots on buildings and upgrades.

A couple of points about generals and Daimyo honour. SergeantPsycho's point about getting your Daimyo to fight a lot, especially at the beginning, is a good one. It stops him sitting around getting obesity or promiscuity demerits, and builds up his honour, which helps hold your generals. I never had a general's loyalty drop below three. Another reason for this is I didn't recruit very many of them, refusing probably three out of every four offers. This meant my main fighting stacks were led by generals who didn't have very many loyalty demerits for the "upstart generals" thing.

I think I enjoy going Republican. It does feel like I've just crawled through a very large field of gorse, but the view from the other side is good. :)