Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Diplomacy = Money hints and tips

VampiresbaneVampiresbane Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 206
There's a few things I noticed lately that could be of real help to new and old players.

1. If you pay for certain agreements over a span of time, even if that agreements is broken by the other party, you'll still pay the remaining amount.
  • Might be a bug, but for instance if you agree to pay another faction $1,000 for 10 turns for his alliance and for him to declare war on someone and in the next few turns, he breaks either the alliance and/or sues for peace, despite him breaking the agreement, you'll still have to pay.

Example:
I paid a faction that had declared war on me along with two buddies of his, for peace, his alliance, and for him to declare war on his previous ally. I gave him $1,000 for 20 turns for each, totally $3,000 for 20 turns. On the very next turn, he breaks our alliance and sues for peace with his old ally. I, however, am still paying the $3,000 for 19 turns.

Rule of Thumb:
Don't pay over a span of time for any agreements that the other faction will probably break.

2. Money is valued differently in diplomatic negotiations based on whether or not you pay all in full in one turn or over several turns.
  • In my experience, I will pay less overall if I pay more money up front. Likewise, if you ask the AI pay upfront instead of a span of many turns for trade rights (for example), they'll pay less upfront.
Example:
Later in the campaign, on Legendary, I was offered a trade agreement with a Shogunate clan very friendly to me. If I had them pay me up front, they would offer about $10,000 for trade rights. I played with agreement to see what they would agree to and $800/turn for 20 turns would also be accepted. That's $6,000 more! A big difference.

Rule of Thumb.
When buying rights, pay upfront as the player if possible or in as few of turns as possible. When selling something, such as an alliance or trade, and you expect the faction to stick to the agreement, have them pay more over many turns rather than in one or two turns. In the long run, you'll get more money. (Unless of course, you really need a surge of cash at that moment.)

3. Allies and Neutral factions tend to declare war on the player when his military strength is either less than theirs or is less than Strong or Mighty (ie Moderate or Weak).
  • This harkens back to why the AI will break alliances so frequently in the beginning game on harder difficulties. It's because the player's military strength isn't high enough for the AI to stick to agreements.

Example:
I was playing the Josai and was at peace with Matsume. Luckily I was playing on Very Hard so I could reload previous saves. Trade with Matsume was earning me an easy $1500 a turn. They, however, were sending a small fleet with a VERY large army towards my shores. I thought to let them declare war, sink their ship, and then sue for peace. I tried this and wound up having to pay $2,500 a turn for 20 turns just for peace. My military strength was Moderate despite having a great single stack. So overall, I lost $4,000 a turn for their declaration of war. I reloaded a previous save and instead of waiting for them to come to me, I recruited another 3/4 stack of cheap troops, and a few more big ships for my navy. My military strength in diplomacy hit "Strong" as a result. As soon as it did, Matsume's fleet and army went back to their mainlad and disembarked their army. I probably am losing about $1,000 to $1,500 in upkeep, but not only did Matsume leave me alone but other facitons did as well. So instead of losing $4,000 a turn, I lost ~$1,000 a turn but can stay at peace with everyone.

Rule of Thumb.
If possible, keep your military strength at Strong or higher. If you're playing a Long or Domination campaign, this will then allow you to be at peace with more factions, eliminate any that are still at war with you, and hopefully become completely peaceful at some point. Once that happens, you can focus all your cash on infrastructure while you wait for your tech to be researched.

4. The more regions you own, the more pay you can typically recieve from a friendly faction for trade rights.

5. In general, agreements with friendly clans result in them paying you for rights while agreements with hostile clans (ie a shogun clan trading with an imperial clan) will have them requring you to pay.
  • These two are more or less common sense, but can help if you're strapped for cash.

Rules of Thumb:
If you have a choice, always capture a region before asking for a trade agreement. Also if you really need money, trade with friendly clans over hostile clans first.

Anyone else notice anything useful?
Post edited by Vampiresbane on

Comments