Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arrows cost effective?

justyhawkjustyhawk Senior MemberPosts: 455Registered Users
Are arrows cost effective in FOTS?

What does everyone think?

I think they aren't very good at all, but that's just me so I'm asking the community.

In another thread people seemed to agree that the samurai hero was a bit useless for his cost.
Post edited by justyhawk on

Comments

• KuriganKurigan Member Posts: 50Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    They are definitely not worth their cost atm (The FOTS bows that is), but people seem to be hell bent on gun dominance so I don't see it getting changed anytime soon.
  • Marshal SuchetMarshal Suchet Senior Member Posts: 2,077Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    They can be very dangerous, depending on the map. Whenever I use horse archers on the terrain maps they seem to average 120-200 kills which is not bad on a unit that only costs 550. Foot archers work well too on the terrain maps, although I would say that horse archers do the job a lot better.

The main problem with the foot bows are the lack of range upgrades. It wouldn't be a bad thing if their range could be buffed to 175 with an extended range upgrade.
    RedStag
  • justyhawkjustyhawk Senior Member Posts: 455Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I must really suck at using them!
  • dark as silverdark as silver Senior Member Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    justyhawk wrote: »
    I must really suck at using them!

Stand somewhere gunpowder units cant get LOS
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,300Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Not cost effective at all.

Arrows cost money.

Use the Irish: the dead cost nothing!

Sorry, couldn't resist the movie reference
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
  • crimson2404crimson2404 Member Posts: 46Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I don’t even think they are cost effective in shogun 2.
  • dark as silverdark as silver Senior Member Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    daelin4 wrote: »
    Use the Irish: the dead cost nothing!

Sorry, couldn't resist the movie reference

No idea how you got to be a mod with that political incorrectness:eek:
  • Colonel MallardColonel Mallard Senior Member Posts: 1,044Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I tried putting them behind my line once the firefight starts, to augment my firepower (after forcing the enemy to attack with my range) and they got next to no kills. It was an extended line battle and they were behind lines shooting away the whole time, but they barely got 100 kills between them (4 of them). They ran out of ammo, too, so their cost effectiveness is really questionable.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it...

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail."

"All I know is that my gut says maybe" - President Average of the Neutral Planet

Total War:Barbarian Invasion 2:The Invadening
  • damadman228damadman228 Senior Member Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I tried putting them behind my line once the firefight starts, to augment my firepower (after forcing the enemy to attack with my range) and they got next to no kills. It was an extended line battle and they were behind lines shooting away the whole time, but they barely got 100 kills between them (4 of them). They ran out of ammo, too, so their cost effectiveness is really questionable.

That's weird. The Bow Kachi I used in a recent battle only had extra accuracy, but they still got 195 kills (as a single unit that is). They were also shooting constantly.
    This might be helpful for those still playing S2 MP:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=444087

Also check out this awesome channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/milkandcookiesTW
  • AggonyDuckAggonyDuck Senior Member Posts: 3,407Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    Bow Kachi are hamstrung by their horrible accuracy. That said with two accuracy upgrades their effectiveness rises markedly.
  • StrakerYriusStrakerYrius Senior Member Posts: 249Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    In 2v2 games with mixed avatars a couple of S2 bow monks with 200 range will get an average 200 - 300 kills each on FotS troops without taking any losses. You just have to use them right.
  • BydloBydlo Senior Member Posts: 137Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    The main goal of using bow units is to not let them to be under enemy fire. Full unit of level 6 bow kachi is killing 4-7 line infantry per volley. So their job is to fire as many arrows as they can. I am usually place them in second row behind line infantry and they doing their job well. Pic related.
    http://postimage.org/image/kdqy9f88n/
  • ViivrabeViivrabe Senior Member Posts: 434Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    i use them, upgraded to about the cost of 920 kuku they out preform tosha rifles if you have even a small hill infront of you, and can often draw enemies into range of your other troops, so they have to choose,(loose the first shot advantage, or get decimated by arrows)

i once got 300+ kills with those bows, but my opponent was very stupid, so what ever

most of the time they do ok 50-70, in those cases my cav, or line did all the killing

sometimes its over before they have a chance to do damage

and sometimes they are teh key to victory

also nothe that they can stand behind your enguaged line and help whittle down the enemy line, assuring you win that fight even with out first shot
    Point is, there is a reason that the ESRB does not rate online [play].

A Knight in shining armor is a knight who has never had his metal truly tested.
  • SecuterSecuter Senior Member Posts: 1,710Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I don’t even think they are cost effective in shogun 2.

They are **** effective in Shogun 2. They are good at killing monks.. oh I love killing monks... see them burning even before reaching me... all those enemy Koku I see burning :o

Yeah well bows are not effective in fots... that's despite the fact that all moderns gunpowder units are wearing nothing but ordinary clothing...
    Make a Medieval 3!
    More units.
    More interested in European history.
    Different cultures.
    More factions.
    Not that many gun powder troops, it's not a new Empire I want.
  • justyhawkjustyhawk Senior Member Posts: 455Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I think they should be more than a mere annoyance.
  • AggonyDuckAggonyDuck Senior Member Posts: 3,407Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    They can be more than a mere annoyance with enough upgrades.
  • ThesaboteurThesaboteur Senior Member Posts: 812Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    From experience they are the best at causing some annoyance at the enemy. I just played a battle between my friend and I where I had a bow hero and he just owned... What I saw is that at angles bows can still shoot like normal while rifle units have to keep moving at minimum distance. I observed that the rifle units shot and killed 3 of my bow hero and then had to run about 5 yards to get to another 3 men. By the time my bow hero reached 8 men the Imperial infantry had whittled down to around 120 men from 200. Now of course a bow hero was wasted in a one on one but what I am saying is that bows do have potential. Most FOTS players bring artillery so I would suggest you bring your own to counter and some fodder units to block the rifles. While the fodder are distracting your bows can whittle down their numbers. With upgrades they can do a lot of damage but need proper planning to maximize results.