Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

more computer building... (sorry)

T_unitT_unit Junior MemberPosts: 28Registered Users
edited December 2010 in Technology
Hi guys,

I'm in the process (i.e. looking on the internet) of building a computer and think I have decided on this system detailed below

i5 760 2.8GHz
MSI P55-GD65 Intel® P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0
4GB PC3-10666 1333Mhz (2X2GB) Dual Channel
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 TOXIC 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
Xigmatek Asgard Pure Black Case
Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 3.5"
OCZ StealthXStream 2 500W Power Supply
Cooler

however, I'm a novice at this so have a couple of questions.

1. Is each component in this system compatible?

2. I'm looking at spending around £500 ish... should I be focusing more money on certain areas?

3. Following on from 2, is this balanced, i.e. there isnt one or 2 awful components dragging it down/ a component which is overly good and not being used?

4. Would you do it any differently? Is there anything I've missed (apart from OS/ screen etc)

And finally,

5. Shogun on top spec?

Cheers
Post edited by T_unit on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    1)
    These components are compatible. I was not able to confirm that the memory modules were in fact 1.5 default, which you might want to try to do, although your mobo will probably auto volt it that way (which may or may not reduce your actual datarate or require you to up-volt it a bit). PSU is a bit borderline... see below. Maeda will like your HDD pick (lol)-always going on about it.
    2)
    Er that list of items is definitely above 500 pounds and there is no cd/dvd drive, monitor or keyboard/mouse. Do yo already have all of the items I have named? If so, it is very useful to know screen resolution, as this has a major impact on the ability of the card to cut it or not.
    3)
    Pending information on screen res. your card is slightly better than your processor, although your proc can turbo up to 3.33 so maybe not enough of a difference to matter. If the screen is a larger one, the card makes more sense, although a newer 6xxx might give you better dollar/performance ratio with less noise and heat. Your PSU is a little close at max needs, although the wattage may be fine, it declines in actual wattage produced over time (PSUs become less effeicint as they age from day one), but of more concern to me is the 12v+ rails which together only carry a max of 36 amps. Your system will use anywhere fom 10 to about 12 or so max, and your card may use up to 16 or more. Additional lights, fans, drives and whatnot make this pretty close with fluctuations, inefficiencies and aging. Up to you, but I would want at least 40 amps on the 12v+. Your call. Its a nice PSU, but that's a beefy card, and you may be pushing your sys with S2. My only other suggestion in this area is make sure you are looking for a 64 bit OS in light of question number 5, and possibly a bit more ram-although you could wait for the release and see how it plays with 4g. I am not familiar with hypertech memory, and am not from the UK-perhaps someone else can vouch for its reliability.
    4)
    I believe I mentioned PSU, 6xxx Radeo series as possible look-ats, and someone more familiar with hypertech ram might make a comment on that. Only other way to do it would be to go with AMD cpu and board-top of the line BE quad and board would be pretty reasonable too- not to say it would be better though.
    5)
    Close. We don't know exactly what those specs are, and we don't know the resolution you are using for it. Further, there will be some limitations at the top end because of that processor (TW is a very heavy CPU design lean) and the only way to significantly surpass it is to go with a full i7/x58, and that IS some more cash.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • T_unitT_unit Junior Member Posts: 28Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    cheers, The PSU was the bit I wasnt sure about!

I also realised that I can get the radeon 6870 for same price, so will go with that.

I suppose a psu like this would be better?

The £500 was aggressive... its closer to 6 at the mo... and the monitor is a 1980x1080

Thanks
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    T-Unit wrote: »
    cheers, The PSU was the bit I wasnt sure about!

I also realised that I can get the radeon 6870 for same price, so will go with that.

I suppose a psu like this would be better?

The £500 was aggressive... its closer to 6 at the mo... and the monitor is a 1980x1080

Thanks

Antec is usually a dependable brand. For that price, though, I would go with this.

This PSU is rated at 750 watts @ 50 degrees C. I have seen reviews where they even had it running stable at 900 watts, not understanding why Corsair didn't market it as such.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    From Evotucs post:
    "I have seen reviews where they even had it running stable at 900 watts, not understanding why Corsair didn't market it as such."

Because it wouldn't last for 5 years or whatever their warranty period is...or it wouldn't keep voltage stability over this time when used @900W for that time period.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Iscaran wrote: »
    From Evotucs post:
    "I have seen reviews where they even had it running stable at 900 watts, not understanding why Corsair didn't market it as such."

Because it wouldn't last for 5 years or whatever their warranty period is...or it wouldn't keep voltage stability over this time when used @900W for that time period.

That makes sense. Thank you.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Either of these "units" would be fine T-Unit (lol!). The key thing is making sure you have a little lee-way for additional things you might "tack on" later, as well as fluctuations, spikes in demand and general wear and inefficiency.

Since you are in the UK, I am not certain whether that Corsair is available there or what it's price point would be - . I personally would be very happy if I were building with either of those PSUs.

I am not usually that interested in AMD cards because of driver architecture (I tend to change drivers frequently during testing or looking for problems and I just find NVidia drivers easier if you have to flip flop like that), but I do have to say the 6xxx series is very enticing because of performance/thermal behavior, not only against the NVidia alternative, but against the 5xxx series. Great pick...no way you're making that 500 pound limit now though chum, BUT, if you can bear waiting... if you can... EVERYTHING will be cheaper as time goes on and gets closer to S2's release. Newer cards, competitor cards, new CPU series being announced... It all means that if you have the stomach to hold out for another month or two, you will be able to get this stuff you are looking at for less. (You won't want to wait TOO long as it will start to go away never to be replaced as retailers/etailers clear the decks for new stock). LOL Thanks for letting us comment!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest