Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Tips: Vassals, Fame, and Honor effects

VampiresbaneVampiresbane Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 206
So I was trying to figure out how to better win at a Legendary Republic campaign. (Still trying! It's really tough.) I figured somethings out in the meantime that should prove helpful to a lot of players.

1. Realm divide (RD) triggers at 10 player held provinces. This includes any vassal held territories. So if you hold 8 provinces and have a vassal that holds 2, you're about to face the Realm Divide (probably right when you hit end turn.) Also something interesting to note is that RD doesn't trigger at 10 taken provinces, but rather 10 held provinces. I learned this when I lost a province and then took it back putting me at 10 taken provinces, but I only held 9. This didn't trigger RD.
2. Fame also maxes out at 10 player held provinces.
3. Vassals are extraordinarily helpful in moving their armies to protect your cities and attack any enemies. This is not Medieval 2 TW where vassals just hang out in their own territory twiddling their thumbs. They'll move their armies around your territories attacking your enemies at will.
4. If you want a vassal, but don't want him to take more than his original province, you can sabotage his army without declaring war (unlike the enchant ability of geisha that requires you to be at war).
5. Each vassal you make gives your Daimyo a +1 to honor. Once you get 3 vassals and you'll have +3 honor as a result. Any more vassals after 3, won't give any more honor.
6. Vassals and allies don't mix. In my experience, you'll really want to pick one route over the other. Vassals tend to work extremely well for Shogun/Imperial pursuits while allies work really well for Republic goals. If you do have both, you'll end up having an ally declare war on a vassal at some point.
7. Factions will settle for vassalage when their power is weak or feeble AND you're at war with them. I've tried to make a vassal out of a faction that was weak/feeble and I wasn't at war with and no matter what I offered, I never got a deal. However it's extremely easy to get a vassal if you're at war with someone that's weak/feeble.
8. If you can manage it right before you hit RD (ie take a 10th AND 11th province in the turn before RD), make an 11th province a vassal. You'll get that +1 honor you'll need for taking provinces of different alliance during RD and that vassal won't stay loyal for more than 2 turns and you can retake that province back fairly easily.
9. I'm fairly sure you get a new commission and rank at 3, 6, 8, and 10 player held provinces. I still need to test this to get the exact amount, but my estimates are at least in the ball park.
10. If you hadn't realized it already, having a daimyo with high honor doesn't just add loyalty to your generals or add to diplomatic relations, it also adds a happiness bonus to each province (max of +2 to happiness). Very helpful in reducing the amount of happiness/repression buildings you need.
11. Almost forgot! If your daimyo wins a heroic victory, he'll get a +1 to honor. I typically get these when defending against at least 2 to 1 odds inside a castle. You can get more than one (thanks vallu751), up to a cap of +3. As a side note, naval heroic victories sadly don't count. You have to win heroic land victories with your daimyo for this to work. Heroic victories by any other general also doesn't have any effect.

Hope that helps! Add any that I've missed.
Post edited by Vampiresbane on

Comments

• GuardianOfBlindGuardianOfBlind Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 947
    edited April 2012
    I think the time when RD triggers is also dependent on difficulty level. In my first campaign on Normal it for sure did not trigger at 10 provinces, was more like 16.
  • vallu751vallu751 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 22
    edited April 2012
    Yes, RD depends on difficulty level, we're discussing Legendary here as OP said.

Regarding 11, it is possible to get several points for heroic victories. My daimyo has 2 right now. In addition, honor effects max out at 6. Might as well do looting after that..
  • VampiresbaneVampiresbane Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 206
    edited April 2012
    vallu751 wrote: »
    Yes, RD depends on difficulty level, we're discussing Legendary here as OP said.

Regarding 11, it is possible to get several points for heroic victories. My daimyo has 2 right now. In addition, honor effects max out at 6. Might as well do looting after that..

Or do looting once you hit 9 honor so when you're finished looting all of Japan, you're still sitting at 6 honor overall (since the penalty cap for looting is -3). Though I'm not sure if I've ever hit 9 honor. I think the highest a daimyo that I had was 8.
    edited April 2012
    Looks like heroic victories cap out at 3 also, at least my daimyo is not getting any more.

Once you get rolling, 9 isn't impossible. 3 base honor, 3 from victories, 3 from vassals, at least 1 possible from retainers and 1 from level-ups. And 2 or 3 from techs.
    edited April 2012
    vallu751 wrote: »
    Looks like heroic victories cap out at 3 also, at least my daimyo is not getting any more.

Once you get rolling, 9 isn't impossible. 3 base honor, 3 from victories, 3 from vassals, at least 1 possible from retainers and 1 from level-ups. And 2 or 3 from techs.

I can believe it. There might be an all around cap of 3 from any one source then. Negatives or positives.
  • jusperijusperi Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 2
    edited April 2012
    Not a day without something new, thanks
    edited April 2012
    Regarding looting, I'd much rather loot once at 7 honor than wait for 9 honor before starting. Just keep effective honor at 6 all the time. Cash right away beats cash after 50 turns.

Anyone know what honor level gives the +2 happiness bonus? Is it 6 or before? What about the +1? Depending on the situation and those boni, I might be willing to go below 6 for the loot.
    edited April 2012
    Currently at 5 honor, my cities are only showing +1 happiness from my daimyo's honor effect so it must happen at 6 honor.

EDIT: Confirmed. All your cities get a +2 to happiness once your daimyo has 6 honor or more.