Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

TEd: FAQ and getting started guide

CraigTWCraigTW Lead Community Manager, The Creative AssemblyDat Horsham doePosts: 1,141Moderators, Administrators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff, Tools Admin, Cakes!, SuperAdmin, Community Team
Hi all,

As TEd is released today, we thought we’d post up some commonly asked questions and answers for the community. If you have any additional questions, please do feel free to ask in this thread. With luck, a helpful community member will be able to answer your questions. CA staff will also frequent this thread.

We'll update this FAQ with some of the most frequently asked community questions as they arise.

What is TEd?

TEd is a free battlefield editor for Total War: Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai. It allows you to sculpt your own battlefields, place objects from our extensive objects library, paint and adjust the height of terrain and more.

How do I download TEd?

TEd is available to all Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai players who have the latest version from Steam (if you play in offline mode, you’ll need to go online to update your copy of Shogun 2 or Fall of the Samurai to the current version).

To launch TEd, open Steam and select “Library”. From there select “All games” -> “Tools” then select and install “Total War: Shogun 2 – TEd”. Once installed, you can run the tool from here.

Can I use this to modify the campaign map?

TEd is a battlefield-only editor, and does not enable you to modify the campaign map.

Is TEd easy to use?

Very. You need no prior experience of map editors (although some knowledge will definitely help). For a quick glance at how easy TEd is to use, check out Rally Point Episode 2, which covers the basics of creating a new map. We’ve also released documentation which will talk you through the important stuff. Please do check this out before getting stuck in.

Can I modify the brushes used for adjusting terrain and painting land textures?

Yes. TEd comes with a number of pre-created brushes to adjust terrain in most ways conceivable. We do, however, recognise that modders may like to change this, so you can create your own brush files.

Are there any known issues with TEd?

At present there is an issue with 32-bit operating systems which may result in instability or failure to load. If you’re having problems on a 32-bit system, consider reducing the number of brushes in your brushes folder, as this seems to be an effective workaround. TEd was designed primarily for 64-bit systems in a developer environment.

If I make a map, how do I share it with my friends?

There are two ways of doing this. You can either share the map file manually (by uploading it to some of the many Total War modding file depots out there on the web), or the game will automatically share user-created maps when a player who doesn’t have your map tries to join your game.

Do CA have any plans to support TEd more in future?
We’ll regularly feature the best community maps on Rally Point, our community show. We’re also planning to implement a full official wiki at some point in the near future, as a forum for continued discussion between CA and the community.

Can I create night battles in TEd?

By loading different environment files into TEd, you can adjust how your map will look in the editor. These settings, however, can be overwritten by your selection in the game menu when launching your map. So if you want to create a night map, be sure to select “night battle” as an option when hosting your game in order to see it as designed. Same goes for other weather conditions. For this reason, it’s wise to design your map for all conditions.

Can I place particle systems on the battlefields I create?

Yes, you can. To preview the effect of the particles you create, you can press the play button on the animation editor (by default this appears at the bottom of the screen).
Post edited by CraigTW on

Comments

• daniudaniu Senior Member Posts: 2,081Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Will it be possible to add castle maps created with TEd into the campaign?
  • Elliott Lock CAElliott Lock CA The Creative Assembly Posts: 57Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited May 2012
    daniu wrote: »
    Will it be possible to add castle maps created with TEd into the campaign?

This is not a supported feature, but this doesn't mean it's not theoretically possible.

Elliott
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

[url=https:/twitter.com/elliottlock]Follow @elliottlock[/url]
  • EgorasEgoras Senior Member Posts: 118Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I would love to see a campaign map editor :(...

I would use it to create 1 on 1, balanced, competitive maps.

PD. actually with simply CA releasing a couple of competitive campaign maps I'd be very happy and would start playing multiplayer again.
  • HeathbarCrunchHeathbarCrunch Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Can you create Shallow Water? I haven't been able to find any sort of water other than puddles.

Thanks so much for this awesome tool btw :)
  • Elliott Lock CAElliott Lock CA The Creative Assembly Posts: 57Moderators, CA Staff Mods, CA Staff
    edited May 2012
    Can you create Shallow Water? I haven't been able to find any sort of water other than puddles.

Thanks so much for this awesome tool btw :)

Hi HeathbarCrunch,

Water only works on a single plain. You need to set the terrain height to "-" to produce a river. If memory serves me right I believe a height of -0.1 to -0.5 will create a ford.

Hope this helps,

Elliott
    Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

[url=https:/twitter.com/elliottlock]Follow @elliottlock[/url]
    edited May 2012
    Hi HeathbarCrunch,

Water only works on a single plain. You need to set the terrain height to "-" to produce a river. If memory serves me right I believe a height of -0.1 to -0.5 will create a ford.

Hope this helps,

Elliott

So I lower the land but then how do I add the water?
  • Hellhound1Hellhound1 Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    It should appear automatically if you lower below 0.
  • rogargaro15rogargaro15 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    i cant find it, when i went to my shogun 2 game, it said something to agree with the agrrement,and then i did, my game looks a bnit different, but i dont know how to start? where i click to edit this thing???!!
    edited May 2012
    Hellhound1 wrote: »
    It should appear automatically if you lower below 0.

Oooooooooh right cause the map starts at 10. Got it!

Thanks so much!!!!
  • LestaTLestaT Senior Member Posts: 865Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Any plans to implement function so that user can easily uploaded created maps on Steam and others to easily download them and use in their games ? Sort of like Steam workshop function for Skyrim and Team Fortress ?
    My Rig - CPU:Intel CORE i3-2100 @ 3.1 ghz MOBO: Foxconn H-67M RAM: 2x2GB CORSAIR PC1333 GPU: XFX HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PSU: FSP SAGA II 500w CASE: Gigabyte Chassis HDD: 1x Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB ODD: Samsung SH-S223L DVD/RW OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit MONITOR: Samsung E2020X (LED) 1600x900
  • Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,596Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Maybe in a future release, we can be able to design our own city defenses for our capital only. That would be fun, and give it a personal feeling.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • tafentafen Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Hi
    I tried to make a siege map, but i had some problems. first of all, when i made castle pieces it took very long time to try to make them connect to each other, is it a function to make this easier? i read the manual that you have posted, but i didnt understand what it said about this completely. and then, when i finished the map, and tried to load it in shogun 2 fall of the samurai, the game stopped working. i have made a regular map and that worked fine. lastly, the ef lines that makes the units to line up, how exactly is this working? it was actually a good guide to it in the tutorial, but it didnt work.
  • grumhiegrumhie Senior Member Posts: 437Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    great tool! was really waiting for something liek this. hope siege support will come within a month or so.

my question is, is it possible to change the angle of things like mountians? i looked for it but cant find it anywhere.
  • TheDireWolfTheDireWolf Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Can anybody tell me what the length x width is for a standard T.E.D map is in Kilometres? I'm trying to design a map with the help of google earth but I have no Idea how to scale anything because I dont know how big the map really is?? Can anybody help me out??
    "Mad, is he? Then I hope he will bite some of my other generals"
  • TJ7TJ7 Senior Member Posts: 113Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    2048 m so 2.048 km
  • TJ7TJ7 Senior Member Posts: 113Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    ow and btw this is a very good idea :P
  • j.cj.c Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Guys, how do I use a custom map in Shogun 2? I have a couple of maps that I got here and I'm eager to play on them, but I dont know how to install the maps, I have shogun 2 in steam, and I tried locating the files on steam/steamapps/common/shogun2 but there isnt any "map" folder, please help Dx
  • AggonyDuckAggonyDuck Senior Member Posts: 3,385Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    The map folder is located in your local files. The path should be something like C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Shogun2\maps.
  • DeviDevi Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Can anyone please tell me how to lift up buildings, im building bridges but cant seem to raise the bridges to the correct levels to link together. and where can i download maps that already have the correct deployment zones, my maps dont appear in custom games, they appear in historical, and they wont load, id like to download maps that have the correct settings :)
  • atomgamesatomgames Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    Its broken for me :( Well it's useable but very annoying because when I load up TEd the area around the actual battle area is invisible and ive notice in other people Editors it's all grass. I can still create there it's just all like bright neon green. And also does anyone find the the cherry tree vegetation to vanish and be replaced by christmas?