Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Custom Maps to download

IncubusDragonIncubusDragon Senior MemberBehind Enemy Lines... ...a Scotsman in LondonPosts: 1,105Registered Users
edited June 2012 in TEd Tips and Tutorials
OK, there are a few glitches with TEd, but they can (mostly) be worked around. Here's a link to a custom map I've done...

http://www.mediafire.com/?m274f7wwvkw2225
[PORTABLE-ID]IncubusDragon[/PORTABLE-ID]
Disorder arises from order, Cowardice arises from courage, Weakness arises from strength - Sun Tzu
Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
Click me for Shogun 2 Custom Maps
Post edited by IncubusDragon on

Comments

• IncubusDragonIncubusDragon Senior Member Behind Enemy Lines... ...a Scotsman in LondonPosts: 1,105Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    I seem to be finding that the deployment zones do NOT save correctly when saving custom maps in TEd.

The workaround for this is to save your custom map as normal, then copy/paste the "deployment_areas" xml file from my map shared above and paste it into your own custom map folder, overwriting the dummy save that's in there.

This will give you a "standard" 4v4 deployment (attackers in North, defenders in South) that'll work multiplayer or singleplayer.
    Disorder arises from order, Cowardice arises from courage, Weakness arises from strength - Sun Tzu
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
  • IncubusDragonIncubusDragon Senior Member Behind Enemy Lines... ...a Scotsman in LondonPosts: 1,105Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Hmmm, this map's deployment zones DID save correctly, so it is possible at least some of the time for them to save OK (If file size is 24/25K then deployments should've saved ok, if less than 1K then a dummy save has happened and copy/paste the deployment_areas xml from another previously successful map).

http://www.mediafire.com/?jbmxo68rxv0rurx

I love this style of map - nice and interesting, lots of ambush opportunities too ;)
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
  • SwishSwish Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Could you run me through what you did with your deployment zones? Mine just arent staying.
  • Hellhound1Hellhound1 Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    If you open the editor, then click new map, it'll create a map with deploment zones. These are the only zones that stick. In the maps folder for each map theres a file called deployment_areas.xml that contains the coords for each deployment zone. Theoretically you should be able to write them in manually, but each time you open the editor they'll vanish again.
    But if you put the default deployment_areas in the folder, the default zones will stay, if that makes sense :)deployment_areas.zip

The file should be attached, just unzip and place the xml file and overwrite the old one.
  • SwishSwish Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    How do I make a 2v2 deployment zone then? Since now it works 1v1 but I would rather have a 2v2 map.
    edited May 2012
    Thats where the problems start ;)
    Try drawing a second set of deployment boxes and changing the xml, but i have a feeling it'll mess up again.

If so, just gotta wait for CA to release a fix (hopefully soon, hint hint CA)
  • HyzoranHyzoran Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Yea im getting the same issue unfortunately.
    edited May 2012
    The co-ordinates were manually added to the deployment_areas.xml from the "LongRiver" zip in my first post, which gives you deployment zones from 1v1 and every combination up to and including 4v4.

So if you copy and paste from zip file in my initial post, you'll have muliple army deployment zones.

* * * EDIT * * * The main thing to remember is to build your map, save it, then copy/paste the deployment_areas.xml after you've finished in TEd. If you then edit map further in TEd, you'll maybe need to copy/paste deployments after edits have been saved too.
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    edited May 2012
    Incubus, the deployment file from your first map, was that generated by the editor? Or did you make that file yourself?
    edited May 2012
    Hellhound1 wrote: »
    Incubus, the deployment file from your first map, was that generated by the editor? Or did you make that file yourself?
    No is the short answer.

But don't get me wrong, I'm no genius myself, I got help from a couple of friends to work it out. I do a bit of 3D modelling and digital art (so the TEd interface isn't too alien to me), and asked a couple of friends in the 3D community to work it out.

The initial file layout was taken from the TEd custom map saved then the co-ordinates were manually added in a text editor. All I did really was to push the deployment areas to the edge of the map because the techie boys had put them too close to the middle for my liking.

But editing co-ordinates in text editor is such a massive headache, so what I do now is use same deployment zones and construct map on that basis rather than try to work out fresh co-ordinates.

Well, works for me... and hopefully useful to some of you guys too :D
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    edited May 2012
    Awesome :)
    Its the 1v1, 1v2, etc tags in it that dont make sense to me, from what i originally understood you only needed one set and the game would choose based on how many players and the id of the zones.
    edited May 2012
    Alpine Path... a straightforward map with plenty of space - I imagined this as an alpine clearing along a strategic mountain pass that's been the place of many battles over the years, so some areas are pock-marked with old artillery barrages.

http://www.mediafire.com/?9c57d1ut7x7147h
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    edited May 2012
    Siege Town is an experimental defence map - a town with capture point defence towers. If playing single-player, you really need to set yourself as defender because the AI doesn't occupy the town. If you want a challenge with FotS armies, bring your best army to defend against two AI armies (they'll bring quite a few gatling guns with enough infantry to keep you busy!)

http://www.mediafire.com/?qsmf54zo2s6m96j
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    edited May 2012
    High & Low is an experimental map that didn't quite work as planned but should still be fun to play (I hope!). It turns out you cannot traverse under the bridges as I originally hoped, but the high/low still half works, resulting in an obscenely awesome chokepoint in the middle of the map ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?bp1fkmbbighu8ep
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    edited May 2012
    Earthworks... semi-permanent anti artillery terrain was a series of steep man-made hillocks to enable the deployment of troops in the relative shelter of the narrow gulleys, but at some stage the armies must meet - will you hold a ridge or sweep the flanks?

http://www.mediafire.com/?szd89rl8yz5t555

I was originally trying to make a map with "proper" trenches, but it wasn't particularly playable with how Total War units work, so it ended up being this more generic network of earthworks instead. (It's still my aspiration to make a trenches map, so I'm sure I'll be returning to this theme again in the future.)
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
  • OctapoosOctapoos Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    Can you not use the Go, No-Go zones to create a path under the bridges?
  • yoshidsuneyoshidsune Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    hey I am just wondering but how can you make it more then a 1v1 because I am still unsure
    edited May 2012
    yoshidsune wrote: »
    hey I am just wondering but how can you make it more then a 1v1 because I am still unsure
    You need to manually edit the deployment_areas.xml file in a text editing program (e.g. Notepad) to add multiple deployment zones.

But if you want to avoid eyestrain and severe headaches, the easiest workaround is to copy & paste the deployment_areas.xml from the 4v4 maps already shared.
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
  • T_JT_J Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited May 2012
    yep editing it gives your really headaches, but you can let everyone have the same deployement, just like it is in siege maps
  • Titus_PulloTitus_Pullo Junior Member Posts: 14Registered Users
    edited June 2012
  • Hannibal BonaparteHannibal Bonaparte Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited June 2012
    Hey Incubus Dragon...you can put an AI Hint area around the town with the type "Defensive Hill." If you do this, when the AI is defending, it will treat the town as a defendable hill and will rush towards it. Hope that helps :)
    edited June 2012
    Thanks, I'll try that out tonight
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
    edited June 2012
    Hey Incubus Dragon...you can put an AI Hint area around the town with the type "Defensive Hill." If you do this, when the AI is defending, it will treat the town as a defendable hill and will rush towards it. Hope that helps :)
    Yes, that worked a treat... when you capture more than half the towers you get victory, so if I reduce number of outlying towers it should work out pretty good.

cheers
    Incubus Dragon |Ronin|
  • SepelioSepelio Senior Member Posts: 322Registered Users
    edited June 2012
    Alright I made my first map and got 2v2 spawns working. Its a little bit like Caldera, but it has one capture point right in the middle so all players have to rush it. Makes for a neat bloodbath.

Its called Cratered

Here be download link. Its a zip file so just unzip it into the appropriate map related folder.

Have fun!