Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Suspected System Requirements for Rome 2

TheAmericanTheAmerican Senior MemberPosts: 225Registered Users
edited March 2013 in Total War: ROME II
As everyone obviously knows, Rome II is being built on a completely different scale than any other TW before it. Because of that, I'm going to guess the type of computer needed to run the game will be on a whole new scale than was previously needed. I bought a new PC in prep for Shogun 2 and I'm afraid I might need a total overhaul to run the new game!
Which now leads to my question. What does everyone think the system requirements to run the game, let alone play on higher settings? I also feel making the games difficult to run, will turn off a lot of players from the game. Because, as much as we would all love to have NASA style PCs, we can't truly afford it.
So please everyone help me out so I can prepare for this great new game that I am so excited for!

Favorite Total Wars:
1 Total War: Shogun 2
2 Napoleon Total War
3 Rome Total War
4 Empire Total War
5 Medieval 2 Total War
"What matters is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Post edited by TheAmerican on

Comments

• Tyer032392Tyer032392 Senior Member FloridaPosts: 4,610Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Well, if CA is going to start the 64bit code, than you will at least need a duel core processor. Here is what I believe Rome 2 might need, but am only taking a wild guess.

Minimum Requirements:
    -Operating System-Windows Vista,7, and 8.
    -Processor- Dual Core processor.
    -Memory- 2gigs
    -Video Card- Somewhere between AMD 5770 and 7*** series.

Preferred Requirements:
    -OS-Windows Vista, 7, and 8.
    -Processor- Dual Core, maybe Quad Core
    -Meory- 4Gigs Ram
    -Video Card- Amd 6*** series and up.
    "All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing. "
  • TheAmericanTheAmerican Senior Member Posts: 225Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Ok that's about what i thought........My current PC is:
    Athlon II X4 645
    6GB
    AMD 5750
    According to what you just said, that should make me alright for Rome II...........I'm just a little concerned for my video card. Maybe a 5770 or do you think I'm going to need a 6000 series?

Favorite Total Wars:
    1 Total War: Shogun 2
    2 Napoleon Total War
    3 Rome Total War
    4 Empire Total War
    5 Medieval 2 Total War
    "What matters is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator Posts: 7,293Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited July 2012
    While I don't believe this is a healthy thread given how little we know (including the minor fact that the developer itself has really no clear idea - nor can it - at so early a stage) nor one to be particularly informative, I WILL say I doubt minimums will be set quite so high, and recommended requirements cannot possibly be imagined since hardware available to the consumer will change AGAIN probably before they can even ISSUE such a recommendation.

In point of fact, I have it in mind to close this thread and leave it stickied like a severed head on a pike as a warning, not to misinform the unfamiliar with hardware. Very very dangerous and under review.
    Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited July 2012
    Hardware has been changing a lot in terms of Archetecture in the past 2 years. And is looking like it will change even more in the next 2 yearts. Its entirely possible that the hardware which will be most common then is not even out yet. I think its too early to really have a conjecture on this type of thing.

However there can be a certain amount of speculation, and on that note I agree mostly with what Tyer has said.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • ThesaboteurThesaboteur Senior Member Posts: 812Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Technology increases 50% per year until we probably reach the 25-35nm process die. So I would say... just add 50% lol. IMO doesn't look like a new engine, just looks like a modded one under a new name.
    edited July 2012
    Ok that's about what i thought........My current PC is:
    Athlon II X4 645
    6GB
    AMD 5750
    According to what you just said, that should make me alright for Rome II...........I'm just a little concerned for my video card. Maybe a 5770 or do you think I'm going to need a 6000 series?

As I have said, that is a rough estimate of what I think might be the requirements, but I would not buy an entire new computer until we know for sure. I would upgrade my graphics card though to maybe a 7*** series as they have 2Gbs of Vram.

Edit: heck, the 8*** and 9*** series might even be out around that time, but I am pretty sure that the 5770 series will not be very good for Rome 2, and seeing how the 6*** series is not but a rebranded 5950 series, I would just skip the 6*** series and keep an eye on the 7*** series, as that should be more than enough to run Rome 2, I think.
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited July 2012
    VRAM is definitely important, much more important than it used to be. The total war games of late have been monster memory hoggers. That goes without saying. but I would wait to buy a new card unless you need it. At least until almost release time.

Im hoping that this go around they take out Vertex animation data from the Geometry files so we can see much less being used for Geo rendering. That should help.
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
    edited July 2012
    Here is what I would do, once all of your bills are paid(assuming you are an adult), put your left over money into the bank and put a hold on it and save up enough money to build a new computer, apart from the processor, which should be fine, but I myself would replace everything else. If you are a minor, save up money to get new computer parts, and upgrade it gradually over the next few years, the first thing that should be upgraded is the amount of Ram your machine has, I would increase it to 8Gigs myself, the next thing would buy a new power supply and fans to keep your computer running to the best it can, and prevent problems with overheating, and lastly, half a year before Rome 2 comes out, buy a new graphics card, as I highly doubt buying a graphics card 6 months before Rome 2 comes out will be obsolete by the time Rome 2 does come.
  • IBlewaFuseIBlewaFuse Senior Member CanadaPosts: 1,262Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    I read somewhere that they want to keep the minimum specs the same as Shogun II's.
  • GeneralGormanGeneralGorman Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    For now im going with Shogun 2's preferred requirements as being Rome 2's Minimum Requirements.
    so for now id say.
    Minimum Requirements
    - Processor: Intel Core i5 or AMD equivalent
    - Ram: 4GB
    - Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 5000 / 6000 series or equivalent
    - Screen resolution: 1280x1024 minimum screen resolution
    - 20-30 GB Free Hard Disk Space

But like everyone else is saying, who knows. Its way to early to say and honetly they said its gonna be a completely scalable experience so i wouldnt worry to much about it at the moment.
    My Rig
    Processor: 2nd gen Intel Core i7-2600 3.40 GHz
    RAM: 12GB DDR3-1333MHz
    Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
    Video Card: SuperClocked GeForce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator Posts: 7,293Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited July 2012
    1)It is even unknown yet whether 64 bit code is included in the new engine construct. If it is, all bets are off, it is an entirely new engine since it has to be completely (_COMPLETELY_) rewritten anyway, will change the way the reqs are written, and this would make the conjecture in this thread based on an unknown code and unknown hardware from the future that as yet is not even known for certain to its marketers...

2)Even if only significant changes are made to how the instancing is handled (let alone anything else to do with major assignments of CPU and GPU), we cannot know to what degree bottlenecks are more quickly going to develop in one end versus the other, what the importance will be of system Ram or any of the rest of it. Ergo, any suggestion that investment should be in the direction of CPU or GPU, etc is ... premature to say the least.

3)What HAS been said by the developer is that there is very grave attention to the spread of machine capabilties and 'scalability'. With that in mind, while I can hope (really hope) that certain antiquated hardware and software will be left out of the equation, any conjecture here is that of the same nature of 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin'.

4)Finally, as we have often written in the Tech Discussion area, 'procrastination is (usually) next to godliness' in terms of purchasing hardware. The dizzying heights to which consumer components have risen in terms of capability and price means that the longer you wait, the newer and more capable things that will be out and available to the consumer, and the cheaper the almost-as-good-version that came right before it will be (and obviously, the even cheaper the-one-before-that-one will be). Wait... wait--- and wait again. As long as you can (up to even release if you can stand it!). Any other strategy is ultimately risky, less efficient money-wise, and will make you decide on the least amount of information both in terms of what you need, and what there is. [facepalm]

Whatever else I will be using at the end of 2013, it will include... THIS! :cool:
    laserkeyboard.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Haskeer90Haskeer90 Senior Member Posts: 179Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    IBlewaFuse wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they want to keep the minimum specs the same as Shogun II's.
    Yeah they said they were going to try their best to keep the min specs the same as Shogun 2 or there abouts.
    -Magic boats appear when you move an army into the ocean... MAGIC.... BOATS.... The ability for armies to simply walk across portions of the sea in a single turn completely quashes the intricacy of the Mediterranean theatre.

8 patches later - https://www.dropbox.com/s/04w04cvpbqb4vsj/nice%20ladders.replay
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,062
    edited July 2012
    I'm going to upgrade my graphics card because I want a DX11 card for Rome II but I really don't think it's necessary if I didn't want to because it plays Shogun 2 perfectly well.

It's an ATI 4850 512mb (DX9/10 only)
  • Billy RuffianBilly Ruffian Moderator UKPosts: 27,999Registered Users, Moderators
    edited July 2012
    I think I'll be taking the tech advice for at least a year, and going for masterful inactivity on the upgrade front, at least until we have a better idea of when the game will be released and what hardware will be available or required.

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts - for support rather than illumination." (Andrew Lang)

|Takeda| Yokota Takatoshi

Forum Terms and Conditions: - https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest

"We wunt be druv". iot6pc7dn8qs.png
  • Legendary WarriorLegendary Warrior Senior Member Posts: 925Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    It is quiet possible that the engine is already written as they were able to show the siege of Carthage to the reporters at that event.

I believe that as the game is in development now it will be using the best that TODAY has to offer in hardware and software. each time CA comes out with a new title we have threads such as this because we all fear that the new title with the flashy new engine will be based on tomorrows hardware when the program was written using the hardware available at the time the title was announced.

I am confident that for those of use that can run Shogun2 at the moment with no lag on the highest of settings will be able to run Rome 2 at max.

if you want to see if your pc can run Rome2 on max......look here and pick the game that is currently the most graphically intense, if you are able to run it then you should be fine for Rome2.

That's my two cents worth.

p.s remember that game developers are almost always behind in hardware specs with what is currently available on the market by at least 2 generations if not 3 especially when it come to video cards.
    My Rig
    Processor:
    i7 2600k Intel processor 3.4ghz
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard B3
    RAM:
    G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 8GB (2x4GB)
    Power Supply:
    CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W
    Graphics Card:
    Gainward GeForce GTX780 Phantom GLH 3GB

I would rather die on the field of battle ahead of my men than an old man in my bed knowing that good men have died instead of me.

edited July 2012
    Well this go around its different Picton, there are a significant number of technologies they will more than likely pick up. Some beneficial to framerates. and some will kick it down a notch or two. Dont forget the previews, even now they were amazed at the detail of the models and textures for some of the units. And CA is touting this new Human element, this new up close and personal details that they want to capture.

Not to mention the scale of the environments from what I have seen. It goes without saying in this case the upper end of the spectrum will be taxed to its limit for the best visuals even on release. May it be render distance for details or lots of AA. I believe that the Minimum requirements will be low, but the Recommended PC will have higher than usual Components listed.

Also take into account the new animation system, which will tax the memory and CPU of your PC more than ever. Here's hoping that they make a true blue 64-Bit edition.

• Legendary WarriorLegendary Warrior Senior Member Posts: 925Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    Every game developing company wants to be the for runner of innovation in graphical effects but the truth is this never really happens as most companies full short of the mark when it comes to hardware to run it. whether it be battlefield 3 all the way to skyrim or even Rage i just don't believe from the current trend of gaming that Rome2 will be any different.

Game companies very rarely require us to go out and get a new PC or Hardware, the truth is the FANS are the culprits of this and most people upgrade out of pressure and not because they need to as 99.99% of people can run most games its just that everyone want to have the eye candy with game mechanics a distant second.
    My Rig
    Processor:
    i7 2600k Intel processor 3.4ghz
    Motherboard:
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Motherboard B3
    RAM:
    G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 8GB (2x4GB)
    Power Supply:
    CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W
    Graphics Card:
    Gainward GeForce GTX780 Phantom GLH 3GB

I would rather die on the field of battle ahead of my men than an old man in my bed knowing that good men have died instead of me.

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 10,242Registered Users, Moderators
    edited July 2012
    Here's hoping that they make a true blue 64-Bit edition.

This! And the full use of multi-processor capabilities.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
  • joecardiffjoecardiff Senior Member Posts: 257Registered Users
    edited July 2012
    What people don't realise is that as technology improves, so does optimisation. The min/recommended requirements wont be as HUUUUGE as people seem to think.
  • noniacnoniac Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    i have a nvidia gtx 560 with a core 2 duo 1.2, will it support the game?
  • -Beethoven233-Beethoven233 Member Posts: 67Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    You have a very good graphic card, but your CPU is not very powerful...
    rien n'est vrai, tout est permis: Nothing is true. All is allowed.
    http://www.jeuxvideo.com/profil/-beethoven233.html

Vincat Rome II, Creative Assembly gloriam! MMXIII is gonna be the arrival of the New Messiah...
  • BlackDragon1BlackDragon1 Senior Member Thousand Oaks CA, USAPosts: 348Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    ya you need to get an i7 up your game on that CPU bud...
    My Specs
    Monitor: ASUSV236H 23inch 120hz 3D Monitor
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 4790 @ 3.60GHz
    Ram: 24GB
    Hard Drive: 2TB
    Mother Board: EVGA X58 FTW3
    GPU's : 2 NVIDIA EVGA GeForce GTX 760's.
  • spoliaopima11spoliaopima11 Senior Member Posts: 147Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    While I don't believe this is a healthy thread given how little we know (including the minor fact that the developer itself has really no clear idea - nor can it - at so early a stage) nor one to be particularly informative, I WILL say I doubt minimums will be set quite so high, and recommended requirements cannot possibly be imagined since hardware available to the consumer will change AGAIN probably before they can even ISSUE such a recommendation.

In point of fact, I have it in mind to close this thread and leave it stickied like a severed head on a pike as a warning, not to misinform the unfamiliar with hardware. Very very dangerous and under review.
    Al

Go ahead, make my day.
    "It makes no difference what men think of war. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way."
    -Cormac McCarthy, "Blood Meridian"
  • gunner38gunner38 Senior Member Posts: 521Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    ya you need to get an i7 up your game on that CPU bud...

Oh, come on! This is not true, the recommended settings are not out yet and the minimum is said to stay frozen on the same as S2.

Besides, half the i5 available are simply better and more powerful than i7's for a lower price.
  • wilo1066wilo1066 Senior Member Posts: 2,175Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Alls i no that because hardware changes so fast and tec gets better it is impossible to keep up.But i dont think you will need a monster rig to play it as they want as many different specs to access the game.And multi core support gets fine tuned and even drivers add more frames per sec.im hoping to stay with what system ive got. if i can afford anything ill upgrade my graphics card near release and when specs are out
    wilo1066
    edited September 2012
    You also have to keep in mind that Maxwell cards will be available by the time people should even be considering upgrading PC's for this game specifically. Unless your upgrading for some of the early 2013 games your better off withholding questions about upgrading for now.

I can see that their system requirements would stay the same, Graphics technology is improving. But so is the optimization and new Instancing techniques that help with processing large amounts of triangles in one pass. Among other optimizations in programming and experience. Possibly true Multi-thread support, and 64-Bit. Which would be a massive help.

• AlcibiadesVasAlcibiadesVas Member Posts: 85Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    The minimum and recommended reqs won't be so high I think, but if you want to play it like everything on ultra then it will require a future pc.
    -Intel Core i7 4770K OC @ 4.10GHz // -Intel Core 2 Quad OC @ 3.40GHz
    -Gigabyte Z87-HD3 // - ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe
    -Corsair 8GB (2x4) 1600MHz XMS3 // - Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4) 1600MHz
    -Palit GTX 770 2GB OC // - MSI Radeon R7850 Twin Frozr 2GB OC
    Total War Hellas Attila page founder - http://www.totalwarhellas.com/attila/attila.html
  • wilo1066wilo1066 Senior Member Posts: 2,175Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Can your cpu do graphics i read somewhere that in the future with i7 and multicore that you wont need dedicated graphics cards so its over to man that can shed light on this hardwaremaster
    wilo1066
  • -Beethoven233-Beethoven233 Member Posts: 67Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    If ROME II is optimized for AmD and not for GeForce, I scream! :mad:
    rien n'est vrai, tout est permis: Nothing is true. All is allowed.
    http://www.jeuxvideo.com/profil/-beethoven233.html

Vincat Rome II, Creative Assembly gloriam! MMXIII is gonna be the arrival of the New Messiah...
  • CazCaz Senior Member Posts: 445Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    I'm going to donate my computer I have now to my family, for mother's Bejeweled Blitz and sister's Club penguin :P.

For me, I'll just buy a new one sometime mid-next year.
    Mine now's an i5, Nvidia GTX 560 Ti..
This discussion has been closed.