Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What factions do you want to see in Rome 2's campaign and custom battle?

Comments

• mr_orbitmr_orbit Senior Member Posts: 415Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Jedis!

no just kidding :-)

In addition to some very fine lists presented in this thread, I'd like to see Cimbers on the raid.

In fact, a lot of the northeastern european tribes should be rather active and mobile - after all, there was a lot of people wandering around not just after Rome's fall but also during. Something like in Barbarian Invasion, but possibly implemented a little more elegant.
    And as Akisthegreat says, many of these shouldn't be united. There should be infighting for loot and territory, almost never decisively exterminating the counterparts - but capable of uniting when a strong enemy like Rome shows up. Not as official allies, just working together for a while.
    What would you have me do, Caesar?
  • lopanatorlopanator Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    I'd personally love to see the Lechites included in this game. Lechites include numerous tribes of peoples ( polans, masovians, pomeranians, vistulans, and the Silesians). Historically romans and lechites clashed on occasion, for example the lechite prince krakus was recorded to have fought romans. Lechites were definatly eastern european, they are most likely considered a baltic tribe.
  • Half Life ExpertHalf Life Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USAPosts: 4,567Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    I would be happy with a return of the same basic list from Rome 1, although i would like to see a new type of rebellion: Slave Revolt.
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
  • alexalex Senior Member Posts: 1,241Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    I would like to see what Aurelio faced:
    Sassanids empire
    Palmirene empire
    juthungi
    alamanni
    sarmathians
    vandals
    late game, Roma's enemies with weapons almost equivalent ..
  • StephaliosStephalios Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    SPQR, Gallic tribes, Germanic tribes, Britannic tribes, Hispania, Illyria, Epeiros, Carthago, Numidia, Hellas (like greek city states -sub factions) (Aetolian League Athen, Sparta, Syracusai, Achaean League, Massalia, Rhodos, Creta, Cyreanaica), Macedonia, Thracia, Dacia, Scythia, Antigonid Empire (Asia Minor and Syria, Tyrus), Pontus, Armenia, Ptolemaid Empire, Seleucid Empire(capital: Babylon), Saba (South-Arabia and Aethopia), Parthia, Mauryan Empire (India), Tsin Empire (China), and Mongols, Vikings (in Scandinavia), Kushyta Kingdom (Napata, Meroe), Garamantines, Mauretania, Aksumite Kingdom(Axum), Bosphorian Kingdom, Kingdom of Pergamum, Sarmatians, Saka, Jews (Petra , Masada).
  • mr_orbitmr_orbit Senior Member Posts: 415Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    We were not Vikings at that time! Vikings brought down the house well after the closing statements of the Roman Empire. Should we be gifted with a Medieval 3, then Vikings could easily fit into a DLC - but not Rome, no!
    What would you have me do, Caesar?
  • RajaRaja Senior Member Posts: 585Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Admittedly, Vikings did serve as imperial guards to the later Roman Empire.
  • PikenierPikenier Senior Member Posts: 587Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Raja wrote: »
    Admittedly, Vikings did serve as imperial guards to the later Roman Empire.

Yes, but way too far in the Middle Ages starting from the 10th or 11th century onwards ...
    I would be happy with a return of the same basic list from Rome 1

We will see many more (minor/unplayable) factions this time but all factions of Rome1 as playable ones would be awesome. I definitely want to play a horse-archer steppe faction like Scythia, Barbarians facing Scyths and Greeks (Dacia or Thrace) and recreate the old Achaemenid (Persian) Empire as Armenia. Spaniards would be interesting too - facing both Empires of the West during their Punic Wars.
    alex wrote: »
    I would like to see what Aurelio faced:
    Sassanids empire
    Palmirene empire
    juthungi
    alamanni
    sarmathians
    vandals
    late game, Roma's enemies with weapons almost equivalent ..

Well I hope we will see such a Fall of Rome scenario (Barbarian Invasion2) once again. It was probably even more entertaining than the classical era main game.
  • RajaRaja Senior Member Posts: 585Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Pikenier wrote: »
    Yes, but way too far in the Middle Ages starting from the 10th or 11th century onwards ...

My point was simply that the Roman Empire continued until 1453, and existed contemporaneously with the Vikings.
  • Homer the XVIIHomer the XVII Senior Member Posts: 257Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    I want to see the Mauryans because that means India is on the map, which means the map is larger than the first Rome which means more variety in how to play. It also means that the types of units will be even more diverse if they keep all of the original factions as I suspect that they will.
  • Homer the XVIIHomer the XVII Senior Member Posts: 257Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Raja wrote: »
    My point was simply that the Roman Empire continued until 1453, and existed contemporaneously with the Vikings.

How about save the Vikings for the one of the expansions. Call it "Rise of the Byzantines." Have it span from the mid 6th century to the mid 11th century, covering the era between Barbarian Invasion and the two Medieval games. This is a time period that's only been dealt with in the series on a small scale in the expansions set on the British Isles. I say give it it's own proper epic expansion.

And, yeah, I know the Byzantines were really just the East Roman Empire but that doesn't have the same ring in a title and it also ties it in with both Medievals.
  • AltairianAltairian Junior Member Posts: 11Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    I hope that they bring back all the factions from the original Rome total war.
  • AragveliAragveli Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Why you people forget about the two important georgian states Colchis(Egrisi) and Iberia(Kartli) those two played an important role in times of roman empire they were one of the few who defeated roman empire and survived Iberian king Pharsman II Kvevi crashed the romans and conquered all south caucasus and anatolia why nobody knows about this ?!
  • Seleucos of OlympiaSeleucos of Olympia Senior Member Posts: 850Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Aragveli wrote: »
    Why you people forget about the two important georgian states Colchis(Egrisi) and Iberia(Kartli) those two played an important role in times of roman empire they were one of the few who defeated roman empire and survived Iberian king Pharsman II Kvevi crashed the romans and conquered all south caucasus and anatolia why nobody knows about this ?!
    Because it didn't happen? Armenia had, at one point, conquered as far west as Antioch and Cilicia, but I don't recall Iberia ever expanding much in Anatolia. As for Pharsman II and the Romans, here's what I could find in Wikipedia:
    The contemporary Classical authors, with more solid historical background, focus on Pharasmanes’ uneasy relations with Rome. He refused in 129 to come and pay homage to the emperor Hadrian then touring the East, and prompted the Alans to attack the neighboring Roman provinces by giving them a passage through his realm, even though the emperor had sent him greater gifts — including an elephant — than to any other king of the East. In his pique, Hadrian dressed some 300 criminals in the gold-embroidered cloaks which were part of the return gift of Pharasmanes, and sent them into the arena. Eventually, the ancient sources report a highly honored visit paid by Pharasmanes of Iberia to Hadrian’s successor Antoninus Pius. This Pharasmanes, however, might have been Pharasmanes III, Pharasmanes II’s possible grandson.
  • AragveliAragveli Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    you can not read only wikipedia :) and sorry this happened and no armenia didnt crash roman empire they were under their rule most of the roman time they even begged the romans to stop the iberian expansion pretty pathetic ha ! If you search properly you will find everything if you want ofcource.
    The iberian warriors were one of the best in mecedonian persian and roman period they always struggled with the great empires around them so it would be totaly unfair and wrong to keep them out of the factions and map of Rome 2
  • Seleucos of OlympiaSeleucos of Olympia Senior Member Posts: 850Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    I had to look up Wikipedia because in all my years of studying history (often from the original sources) I never read of any incident where the Iberians crushed the Roman army. I'm still very dubious, as I hope you'll understand and forgive. I never said that Armenia "crashed the Roman army", simply that they had, at one point, an impressive empire that stretched to Antioch. If you can provide me with records of the Iberians expanding far from the Caucasus at the detriment of Rome, I'd be happy to take a look.
  • Chino CudeiroChino Cudeiro Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    I'd really like to see the following major playable factions in Rome 2 aside from Rome, Greek factions, and Carthage.

A Germanic tribe
    A Gallic tribe
    A Briton tribe
    A Iberian tribe
    The Dacians
    The Thracians
    A Scythian tribe (better horse archers or something)
    A Sarmatian tribe (better contact cavalry than the Scythians or something)
    Armenia
    Parthia
    Pontous
    Numidia
    And a Gladiator Rebel faction, just for fun in custom and online classic battles.

I think the Gladiator Rebel faction should have a wide array of troop types, including fearsome gladiators. The gladiators should come in a couple of flavors. There should be the Samnite, Thracian, and Murmillo gladiators. The Samnite Gladiators should be heavily armored (for gladiators) gladiators who fight with the gladius and scutum shield who fulfill a heavy assault infantry role. The Thracian Gladiators should be a light infantry like of fighter who carries a couple of heavy javelins and fight with a sica curved sword and a small round shield. The Murmillo Gladiators should also be heavily armored, but they should fight with either two handed long bladed spears or two handed axes or maces or something.

This is SOOOO good!

I agree 100%

Def. need an iberian clan. Its an interesting point to start the campaign.
  • Chino CudeiroChino Cudeiro Member Posts: 66Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    edited October 2012
    Of course it would be nice to get the other Iberia in as well, if there are faction slots/development time to spare.
  • S.K.S.K. Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    I just learned there are two sets of Iberians. I love these forums, they give me so much subject matter to read up on.
    I MUST have in TW:R2
    1) The Republic of Rome
    2) Carthage
    3) Sparta
    4) Athens
    5) Pergamon
    6) Seleucids
    7) Ptolemaic Egypt
    8) Parthia
    9) Scytha
    10) Dacia
    11) Thrace
    12) An Iberian tribe (Spain)
    13) A Gallic tribe
    14) A Germanic tribe
    15) Sarmatia
    16) The Mauryan Empire
    17) Maybe as a DLC it might be fun to have Attilla the Hun as he invades Europe from the steppes.
  • Napoleonic Total War IIINapoleonic Total War III Banned Posts: 336Banned Users
    edited October 2012
    Han China

and the Seleucids!
  • DeusExSpongeDeusExSponge Senior Member Posts: 424Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Han China

and the Seleucids!
    If only Han China could be in it, but I don't think CA will go that FAR east.
  • mc1998mc1998 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    I think that it would be a great idea if you were to add the Han or Qin dynasty, It would add some interesting diversity in units and the game and I know that the Han dynasty had nothing to do with Rome but I think if we are going to have the Mauryans then we should the Han or Qin dynasty.

I don't think they should have all of china I say extend Han to were india is and just have a sliver of the nation.
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited October 2012
    They wont do anything with china in it. The political climate from them is terrible. they freaked out over something as simple as a soccer game that had provinces that USED to be part of china but were depicted as separate states instead of part of china. According to them it broke some sort of law there.

Yeah, modders will have to do Chinese stuff. I would love to play that mod though. So maybe this time around we will get a big enough mod community that we will get this finally.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • FletchetteFletchette Junior Member Posts: 8Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    All the factions in Rome Total Realism but like some others said, Greece and the Barbarians weren't unified until much later, they should start out somewhat weak, but still on par with their neighbors so that it's never always just one that comes out on top.
    I also think it would be kinda cool if the game went straight from the empire to the Barbarian invasion period with the Hun invasion and all that, It won't happen, I know, but a guy can dream right?
    Ego sum Alpha et Omega, Principium et Finis, Primus et Ultimus.
  • Ace BlazerAce Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,869Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Of course it would be nice to get the other Iberia in as well, if there are faction slots/development time to spare.
    CA said that there are no hardcoded restraints on the number of factions.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
    edited October 2012
    Ace Blazer wrote: »
    CA said that there are no hardcoded restraints on the number of factions.
    True, but there should be time constraints. Someone has to research those factions, make buildings, units and banners for them, lists of general names, etc.
  • flamingryu30flamingryu30 Senior Member Posts: 884Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Well I myself would like to see it be a bit more accurate with tribes. Look at the Gauls they were not a unified faction like depicted in Rome: Total War but instead just a large collection of independent tribes scattered throughout the Gaulish lands. The same with the Germanic tribes. I am not entirely sure of the tribes in Britain but likely they would be similar to this. I would like to see the greeks again but like I said with the Gaulish and Germanic tribes they were not unified. At least not fully they did fight each other and competed for dominance in Greece. If making each city state its own faction would be too ridiculous which is understandable make it into two factions; those that were siding with Sparta and those that sided with Athens. As for Egypt they should be there but not quite as strong as in the first Rome: Total War as they just spammed everyone and from what I hear if the towns are like the newer games of Total War that may be solved. Essentially there needs to be more variety in the factions and a lot more of them as well because just because you ally with one tribe you would not necessarily be allied with another. Just things like that would be nice.
    edited October 2012
    Athens and Sparta were no longer the great Greek powers they were a century before the games most probable starting date. Instead, the Achaean and Aetolian League were more powerful and influential. See this thread: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/46489-Uniting-Greece/page2
  • PetrosB3PetrosB3 Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Greek City states (with colonies):

Mainland Greece: Athens-Sparta-Corinth-Thebes-Megara-Argos.
    Asia Minor: Miletus-Ephesus-Halicarnassus-Pergamus.
    Islands: Rhodes-Kerkyra-Naxos.
    Sicelian Greek city states: Syracuse-Messina.
    Greek Kingdoms: Macedonia-Epirus-Crete-Cyprus.