Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

shogun 2 retainers

cocoluniecocolunie Senior MemberPosts: 135Registered Users
edited March 2011 in Total War: Shogun 2
So, as many of you probably know, in shogun 2 multiplayer a player will be able to take "retainers" along with his army. These effect the battles you play. They are like cards you can collect, each with a specific ability, that can give you an advantage over the enemy. For example the Bad Omen retainer, which will effect the enemy troops morale in a negative way.

Will these also be available in the singleplayer campaign?
Post edited by cocolunie on

Comments

• King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,626Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    They'll probably be gained by your generals like in previous TW games :).

Welcome to the forums cocolunie.
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
  • Sanada YukimuraSanada Yukimura Senior Member Posts: 291Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    King Rufus wrote: »
    They'll probably be gained by your generals like in previous TW games :).

Welcome to the forums cocolunie.

Most likely like this.. "retainers" ancillary and retinue have been present in the series for a very long time and as such will most likely be present in the single player campaign as they always have been and make a debut in the online as it has been stated
  • cocoluniecocolunie Senior Member Posts: 135Registered Users
    edited December 2010
  • ViCToRiaViCToRia Banned Posts: 1,297Banned Users
    edited December 2010
    For me if its for weaks and kids.
    CA is taking off the player ability and effort to gain battles .
    I call this merchandise nothing else,im already imagining MPB´s with always the same rule, no retainers = no nOObs.

Common what is this becaming ! Pokemon cards ?!?!
  • cocoluniecocolunie Senior Member Posts: 135Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I believe these retainers will bring a new, fun and tactical aspect to multiplayer gameplay.
    If you don't like the option then don't use it, simple as that.
    But at least it brings fun innovation to players who would like too use these and explore new multiplayer gameplay.
  • ViCToRiaViCToRia Banned Posts: 1,297Banned Users
    edited December 2010
    Yes, it will help the new kids in the block , the kids that dont like to pull for their QI .
  • SlippybeeSlippybee Senior Member Posts: 571Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Anybody know if Retainers will be transferable between Generals as they were in Rome?
    edited December 2010
    Slippybee wrote: »
    Anybody know if Retainers will be transferable between Generals as they were in Rome?

If the retainers are also present in the campaign i would hope that they can be transfered between the generals.. i hated in medieval2 that you could not switch them between your family members/generals
  • MikuferMikufer Senior Member Posts: 568Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    If the retainers are also present in the campaign i would hope that they can be transfered between the generals.. i hated in medieval2 that you could not switch them between your family members/generals

There is one problem i cant image my princess giving her secret love to my general :)
  • 毘沙門天毘沙門天 Senior Member Posts: 222Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I hope they won´t sell booster packs - Muahahahaha.

It could sure make the fights better and more unpredictable. But if some retainers can be "stacked" to produce super-peasants etc. and you wonder why you lost a fight that would had been won under "default" conditions....i wonder how much fun those battles would be. I don´t know. We will see what makes more fun, and if you can disable the feature, i don´t mind it.
    edited December 2010
    Mikufer wrote: »
    There is one problem i cant image my princess giving her secret love to my general :)

haha thats actually a good point, but then again... who knows right? maybe the family is just strange like that ;)
  • MikuferMikufer Senior Member Posts: 568Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Yes my general goes around charming enemy generals all the time then they have tons of children :)
    edited December 2010
    I hope they won´t sell booster packs - Muahahahaha.

It could sure make the fights better and more unpredictable. But if some retainers can be "stacked" to produce super-peasants etc. and you wonder why you lost a fight that would had been won under "default" conditions....i wonder how much fun those battles would be. I don´t know. We will see what makes more fun, and if you can disable the feature, i don´t mind it.

I personally think that the retainers function should have a disable option (for players wanting to play under default condition for some battles) also i think i heard that every retainer affects a totally different aspect of your army ex: horse speed upgrade , and will only be a minor upgrade, so it doesn't completely outbalance the natural rock-paper-scissor element of the game
  • SilvaSilva Senior Member Posts: 674Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I personally think that the retainers function should have a disable option (for players wanting to play under default condition for some battles) also i think i heard that every retainer affects a totally different aspect of your army ex: horse speed upgrade , and will only be a minor upgrade, so it doesn't completely outbalance the natural rock-paper-scissor element of the game

I've heard the same thing. They give slight bonuses that will still be negated by superior gameplay but it allows you to shape your army in your own playstyle so its helps develop player attachment to their online army.
    kthe23rd
    "Honestly, if they have both SSFIV AE *and* bubble tea, I don't care if the place is owned by mecha-H!tler, I'm still there."
    Mythos
    "No, you wouldn't, because Mecha-H!tler would kick your **** at Street Fighter and you know it."
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator Posts: 7,293Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited December 2010
    There is one problem i cant image my princess giving her secret love to my general

Or her fortune cookie, either!

It has been done both ways, not transferrable being how it is in the most recent title. I would suspect that since some of these require specific achievements or behaviors, it would be hard to understand why those would be transferrable to someone else who had not made the achievement, behavior, or character value...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://help.sega.com/home

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. Feel free to PM me or Matthias CA if you haven't received a response within 24 hours, 48 hours on the weekend. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • KonradAKonradA Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited March 2011
    How do I acquire these retainers in single player? Does it differ from multi player? And once chosen a retainer, does it stick with the general untill death?