Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make someone your protectorate

LordPellaLordPella Junior MemberPosts: 3Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Rome: Total War
Hey I am playing a campaign with Egypt and it is going well, but there is just one thing annoying me to hell:D. The seleucids and Pontus both got only 1 city remaining and when I offer them huge ammounts of gold (and I mean huge even includes regular tributes) they keep declining my offers. which annoys me because I don't wanna kill them:p. So any good advices for what I can do? thanks.
Post edited by LordPella on

Comments

• Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I'm afraid I can't really help you here, as I have never managed to get a protectorate playing Rome, and I've been playing it since release. All I know is they have to have only one province, but that's it. I've tried destroying their armies, offering them massive amounts of cash, some territory, but nothing.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
  • flamingryu30flamingryu30 Senior Member Posts: 884Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    well i think it is all in the situation ive had this happen many times but usually it works for me especially when I am surrounding their city with about 5 full stacks P.S. thats what I call OVERKILL haha
  • Prince of MacedoniaPrince of Macedonia Senior Member Posts: 230Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    The diplomacy in Rome is ridiculous. You have the same chance of having the AI accept a protectorate proposal when they have 20 cities as when they have 1. They computer doesn't use common sense and pretty much just does whatever it feels like.
    edited December 2010
    ah sounds like me about every single day haha
  • ItfanItfan Banned Posts: 942Banned Users
    edited December 2010
    I have noticed that if you put the diplomat in a strong army, the chances increase that the proposals will be accepted.
    But I never found useful protectorates. They can break the treaty in an arbitrary manner.

Oh, this might be an idea for RTW2: You can ask for troops to protectorates, in this way increases the value of protectorates and tactics become more diverse.

What do you think? :)
    My Total War Most Wanted

Rome 2: Total War
    Fantasy: Total War
    Victoria: Total War
    edited December 2010
    I like that idea it sounds nice but it would be nice to have in RTW as well but too bad oh well but like I said before I have found it helpful when you have about 5 full stacks surrounding a city waiting to crush the people inside if they reject your offer
  • Prince of MacedoniaPrince of Macedonia Senior Member Posts: 230Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I have found that even with 5 stacks surrounding the last enemy, they still manage to maintain the belief that they have the upper hand..
    edited December 2010
    not with me ha i guess it just me haha
  • azndomin8tionazndomin8tion Senior Member Posts: 603Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    you need full influence diplomat to even have a CHANCE
    Here have a tpyo XD

Promoting my own bunny - everyone copy THIS bunny into their sig to stop Clover's bunny from taking over the world!
    (0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
  • Hannibal BarcaHannibal Barca Senior Member Posts: 811Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Guys the real way to do it is with a stack of Greek cav, they will be offering to be your protecorete!
  • tommyevstommyevs Senior Member Posts: 331Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    On rome factions ask me to be their protectorate all the time.
    edited December 2010
    really?:O Ok enough with the greek cav:P
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    tommyevs wrote: »
    On rome factions ask me to be their protectorate all the time.

Isn't that a bad thing?
    edited December 2010
    never be a protectorate cause you just lose money and then when u attack u stil lost the money
    edited December 2010
    It's pointless anyway, Your "Protector" will never actually protect you anyway, besides it doesn't help thats theres not one ai faction in the game who can actually hurt a player enough that accepting the offer becomes valid. I think they may have made it opposite of the way it was supposed to happen, does it make sense that if Ive crushed your armies to a pulp, got you to your last 2 or 3 cities, and now I want to be your protecorate...lol
  • LordPellaLordPella Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the advice guys :D
    edited December 2010
    It is true. I never accept cause there are no benefits.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah Tommy I would never do it, If anyone asks that I become their protecorate, I end up destroying them several turns later, I see it insulting, that some peon of a nation demands that my empire would submit to them...lol
    edited December 2010
    Guys the real way to do it is with a stack of Greek cav, they will be offering to be your protecorete!

You give them too much credit... Greek cav are too dumb to do that... all they do it rout and listen to Justin Bieber...
    Greek cav take initiative? LOL are you kidding?
    Here's the likely scenerio...
    You go with a full stack army (even though a lone peasant would do...) to a city occupied by a single unit of Greek cav and demand Protectorate... They open the gates and come out to talk with you. You shove the demand into their faces. They grin like an idiot and invite you to go see them race against a turtle (who is undefeated BTW). You get annoyed, rip up the demand, and t0ss it over your shoulder. The Greek cav then runs after it, retrieves it and eats it. It (sorry THEY) then asks you for a treat. At that point you just forget negotiations and burn the city...
    Here have a tpyo XD

Promoting my own bunny - everyone copy THIS bunny into their sig to stop Clover's bunny from taking over the world!
    (0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    edited December 2010
    Undeafeated turtles! Why arent those in the game danmit!
    edited December 2010
    cuz there are enough units that can pwn Greek cav without adding in another
    Here have a tpyo XD

(0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    edited December 2010
    ah in RTW you have to experiment with your troops to find the scenarios they are best in azn
    edited December 2010
    Greek cav? The scenario they are best in is when you are FACING them
    Here have a tpyo XD

(0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
  • TheAmazing.....SomethingTheAmazing.....Something Member Posts: 89Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Greek cav? The scenario they are best in is when you are FACING them

I wouldnt say that. You just obviously dont use greek cav well :P
    edited December 2010
    Okay HOW do you use them well?
    They are pretty useless if they're gonna rout when you send them to flank someone (and perfectly executed too....)
    Here have a tpyo XD

(0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    edited December 2010
    Azdn,in your battle are you sure they weren't led by a bad general? I remember I lost a half stack of Roman infantry to a Carthaginian army because my 2 star general had a -4 morale trait so, it would have probbaly been better to use a captain:O
    edited December 2010
    ya if i have a general with less than 5 stars and a bad morale penalty i typically leave him as a governor and put another general in his place
    edited December 2010
    Yeah problem was he was insane, so his influence was really low, and he had 0 management:| howd he even become a general in the first place>< I Didn't know he had all those bad stats untill I redid the save, I gave up on trying to save his army and let him die, then two turns later I sent a good general to own the Carthaginians for their treachary
  • bennywhisebennywhise Senior Member Posts: 236Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    it is proven
    the fact that your of noble birth doesn't mean you're good
    "Sir, the enemy is coming from everywhere. You will be surrounded."
    "We are airborne, we're supposed to be."

Oderint dum metuant