Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Roman Legion Battle Tactics

theBIGottomantheBIGottoman Junior MemberPosts: 28Registered Users
edited September 2012 in Total War: ROME II
I really hope CA will implement all the tactics the Romans employed in terms of formations and animations. I would love to see the legions use drill techniques like the front-line unit rotation. (See video @0:36)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-pUxfmr8s
It could be for example, when there is unit cohesion and drill is performed, the legionaries gain huge offensive and defensive bonuses, and can slice through the enemy. But if cohesion is broken (say the legion is charged on the flank by enemy shock troops, or has been hit head on by elephants or chariots) the unit loses its ability to perform drill in the chaos and loses much of its combat effectiveness.
These sorts of drill techniques should be mainly be automatic as opposed to requiring micromanagement. Maybe testudo can still be left up to the player, but for example if a unit is idle, under arrow attack, and no enemy melee units are near by, it should automatically enter testudo until the player gives a command or enemy units move near it.
Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769 - 1821)
Post edited by theBIGottoman on

Comments

• ItfanItfan Banned Posts: 942Banned Users
    edited September 2012
    Good idea!
    My Total War Most Wanted

Rome 2: Total War
    Fantasy: Total War
    Victoria: Total War
  • MindFragMindFrag Member Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    I wonder how many people at Creative Assembly have seen the series, Rome.
  • ItfanItfan Banned Posts: 942Banned Users
    edited September 2012
    I'haven't see the serie but those scenes are totally true! :)
    My Total War Most Wanted

Rome 2: Total War
    Fantasy: Total War
    Victoria: Total War
  • theBIGottomantheBIGottoman Junior Member Posts: 28Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    MindFrag wrote: »
    I wonder how many people at Creative Assembly have seen the series, Rome.

I think a lot have just based on the visual style of the game. Titus pulo easter egg anyone? :cool:
  • chubbyninja89chubbyninja89 Banned Posts: 1,053Banned Users
    edited September 2012
    I really hope CA will implement all the tactics the Romans employed in terms of formations and animations. I would love to see the legions use drill techniques like the front-line unit rotation. (See video @0:36)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-pUxfmr8s
    It could be for example, when there is unit cohesion and drill is performed, the legionaries gain huge offensive and defensive bonuses, and can slice through the enemy. But if cohesion is broken (say the legion is charged on the flank by enemy shock troops, or has been hit head on by elephants or chariots) the unit loses its ability to perform drill in the chaos and loses much of its combat effectiveness.
    These sorts of drill techniques should be mainly be automatic as opposed to requiring micromanagement. Maybe testudo can still be left up to the player, but for example if a unit is idle, under arrow attack, and no enemy melee units are near by, it should automatically enter testudo until the player gives a command or enemy units move near it.

I'd think that having the Romans get a ability like that would be nice in the campaign, I don't think they should get it in MP cause that'd be pretty unfair.
  • MacklesMackles Senior Member UKPosts: 5,358Registered Users, Cakes!
    edited September 2012
    Titus pulo easter egg anyone? :cool:

Retainer for your Caesar? That would be an awesome little nod to a great show!
    "Conquer, Punish, Enslave" - Words for the would-be Imperialists to live by!

Somewhere on that hill, its gonna get bloody contradictory between us and them real fast. - Anon
  • MindFragMindFrag Member Posts: 49Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    In a perfect world, as or after Rome II is released, HBO decides to make a 3rd season of Rome.
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 12,338Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Everyone's treating HBO Rome's first battle scene like it was historic reality. No one knows whether they really did that. Historicity aside, there's also the issue of balance and making it a technical reality.
    How to install Steam games without downloading
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
  • OctaBechOctaBech Member Posts: 63Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    daelin4 wrote: »
    Everyone's treating HBO Rome's first battle scene like it was historic reality. No one knows whether they really did that. Historicity aside, there's also the issue of balance and making it a technical reality.

Yeah, it looked good but there is no historical evidence supporting the TV-series interpretation of how the Romans fought.
    edited September 2012
    Well there is SOME historical evidence, but HBO likely took the coolest interpretation.

Anyways this rotation feature is pointless if stamina is still measured unit-wide rather than individual troops. It would just look fancy but serve absolutely no practical purpose.
    How to post DXDiag: Windows+R key, type "dxdiag" in the input box. Select Save All Information, and attach as [/code]
    [code] in your post
    Baldrick: "I heard the Great War started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich because he was hungry."
  • NoSoyBuenoNoSoyBueno Member Posts: 83Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    I am surprised you haven't done anything about the posting of links to copyrighted material on this forum.

-NSB
  • theBIGottomantheBIGottoman Junior Member Posts: 28Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    The way this would all work is when there is cohesion in the legion, the legion would get a big stamina/attack/defense bonus (think of how the phalanx was in RTW). When the unit is flanked/shocked/broken, it loses this cohesion and tactic, and the unit suffers stiff penalties for its stamina/attack/defense (again like phalanx). As far as the criticism that "hey this is too powerful, it shouldn't be in MP", to that I say do what every non-Roman ancient world commander had to do: change your tactics. Fight in woods where unit cohesion is broken by obsticals, use ambushes, flank with shock troops, hit and run with cavalry, pull a Cannae on your foe ;)
  • amenallah1992amenallah1992 Senior Member Posts: 584Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    awesome , very precise and historically accurate
    TIME , the devourer of everything .
  • CaesarIICaesarII Senior Member Posts: 171Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    Well there is SOME historical evidence, but HBO likely took the coolest interpretation.

Anyways this rotation feature is pointless if stamina is still measured unit-wide rather than individual troops. It would just look fancy but serve absolutely no practical purpose.

I could see it working as follows: Fatigue would simply be slowed by the number of rows in the unit. If it was 4 men deep the fatigue affect would be 4 times as slow.
  • OctaBechOctaBech Member Posts: 63Registered Users
    edited September 2012

Yes I agree that there are solid indications that the Romans had a line relief system, but this interpretation with whistles and everything is rather unfounded. :)
    NoSoyBueno wrote: »
    I am surprised you haven't done anything about the posting of links to copyrighted material on this forum.

-NSB

But it's only a short clip and if any, it'll just sell more people on the series. :) I do not think HBO would mind.
    edited September 2012
    CaesarII wrote: »
    I could see it working as follows: Fatigue would simply be slowed by the number of rows in the unit. If it was 4 men deep the fatigue affect would be 4 times as slow.
    TW games actually have been doing tat, they just don't have the animations. Fatigue is applied unit-wide, so in a fight you can watch ten fight in actual fighting while the rest are just waiting behind, but the rate of fatigue setting in is less than if every soldier was fighting.

If CA manages to implement such a feature without causing further hiccups then great. If not, well I rather they focus on other priorities.
    awesome , very precise and historically accurate

I actually haven't come across any serious sources that details this sort of tactical manoeuvre. The entire thing seen in Rome is likely a hook (it WAS the very first five minutes into the pilot episode), and it's usefulness would be very situational.
    [code] in your post
  • wilo1066wilo1066 Senior Member Posts: 2,175Registered Users
    edited September 2012
    But there plenty about .Theres slate plates been found where i live which are a roman manuls for romans training on defence and attack describing how there formations work. As i live in england where so much of roman history still survives the more they dig the greater there wisdom.And my spelling is not that good
    wilo1066