Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

How do I change the amount of troops in a unit?

bucsfan071994bucsfan071994 Junior MemberPosts: 2Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Rome: Total War
Ok I Was playing Rome Total War and in my unit i had 121 men in it. next time I go on i had 81 troops. This time i have 41 troops in it. I want 81 agian how do I do this cause it makes the battles so much cooler.?.?
Post edited by bucsfan071994 on

Comments

• flamingryu30flamingryu30 Senior Member Posts: 884Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    ok go to the options then go into the video options there is an option on there that lets you change it is you want to make it 161 then do huge if 81 then large and so on so ya also the unit you had probably was the first cohort units or maybe a unit like peasants or the spear warband units or something but ya select large and it will get it down to 80 or 81 men
  • bucsfan071994bucsfan071994 Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    wow thanks man. i never noticed that.
    edited December 2010
    ya I learned that rescently too hope it helps tell me if it works :)
  • azndomin8tionazndomin8tion Senior Member Posts: 603Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Go to your preferences.txt file and beside "unit size" input 80 (it should be 40 by default)
    Edit: For huge input 160 it'll look even cooler
    Here have a tpyo XD

Promoting my own bunny - everyone copy THIS bunny into their sig to stop Clover's bunny from taking over the world!
    (0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    edited December 2010
    ah it is better to just do what I said as it is sure not to screw part of the game up leaving you to fix the entire game again...
    edited December 2010
    ah it is better to just do what I said as it is sure not to screw part of the game up leaving you to fix the entire game again...

WTF? you just input in a number LOL
    Only an idiot (and Greek cav) won't be able to do it LOL
    Here have a tpyo XD

Promoting my own bunny - everyone copy THIS bunny into their sig to stop Clover's bunny from taking over the world!
    (0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    edited December 2010
    i know people that would... every time... ok im really tryin to stay on topic can u help me?
  • Prince of MacedoniaPrince of Macedonia Senior Member Posts: 230Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Yea lets stay on topic guys..We all know Macedonian is the best. Oh, wait....
  • tommyevstommyevs Senior Member Posts: 331Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    That really helped me as well
  • Prince of MacedoniaPrince of Macedonia Senior Member Posts: 230Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Go to your preferences.txt file and beside "unit size" input 80 (it should be 40 by default)
    Edit: For huge input 160 it'll look even cooler

Have you ever changed anything else in this file? Sometimes I allow unlimited arrows, which can be fun.
    edited December 2010
    it doesn't let me edit the files for some reason
    edited December 2010
    Do you go to preferences or somewhere else?
    edited December 2010
    I do go on preferences and it says you are not allowed to save this file after i edited it
    edited December 2010
    I had that same problem, so I'm guessing your using vista. You have to save the file as a document then take that document and copy and replace it where it originally is.
    edited December 2010
    Stupid vista
    edited December 2010
    It's annoying when they censor parts of words!
    edited December 2010
    ya they might need to stop a lil
    edited December 2010
    It's funny how they are the ones finding bad words within other words that they can censor.
    edited December 2010
    hay tommy do what i originally said just go into the options then the video thing then there one for changin the sizes it all in the actual game but it in the main menu
    edited December 2010
    Have you ever changed anything else in this file? Sometimes I allow unlimited arrows, which can be fun.

I added in subtitles...
    ok im really tryin to stay on topic can u help me?
    Right, and Greek cav are currently chasing down Urban Cohorts which the Greek cav took down all by themselves...
    Here have a tpyo XD

(0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    edited December 2010
    i beat up on the Romans with the greek cavalry being the only reason I could do it
    edited December 2010
    yes of course! You mean 'a' Roman with a full stack of Greek cav on easy... And only cuz the Roman was a peasant. If they were Cohorts or even Hastati it would have been rather one-sided...
    Here have a tpyo XD

(0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
    edited December 2010
    im tired of hearin u talk about how bad the greek cav are im done arguin
    edited December 2010
    If you think they are so good tell me what have they done for you as opposed to what they did TO you huh? They have their good moments but the times they fail you far outweigh those moments...
    Here have a tpyo XD

(0)_(0)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")
  • ClimberatClimberat Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Here's some clarification for those that may need it:

From the Main Menu (not the Game Options from inside a particular game)
    >OPTIONS
    >VIDEO SETTINGS
    Click on SHOW ADVANCED OPTIONS
    >UNIT SCALE
    You can select SMALL, NORMAL, LARGE, HUGE

For a Hastati unit:
    SMALL - 20 men
    NORMAL - 40 men
    LARGE - 80 men
    HUGE - 160 men

While I'm sure the higher settings will bog down some computers, the LARGE setting seems to be the best. The HUGE setting has far too man soldiers on the battlefield for my tastes.
  • ClimberatClimberat Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Forgot to mention one more point:

You can only change the UNIT SCALE at the beginning of a campaign. Once your campaign is underway, you're stuck with the selected UNIT SCALE.
    edited January 2011
    Climberat wrote: »
    The HUGE setting has far too man soldiers on the battlefield for my tastes.

Really? I think the Huge unit setting is the most fun. With the really good battles, your men can literally become knee-deep in dead bodies.