Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam - Gamespy - IGN - issue...

MgecMgec Senior MemberPosts: 124Registered Users
edited April 2014 in Medieval II: Total War
Hi everyone,

My problem consist that I have this message when trying to login Online: "Logon failed: invalid CD key". I've bought the game with Steam today and as you may know, you can't see the CD key of the game by right clicking on it in the Steam library. I have an existing account in Gamespy, but when I login there it redirects me to IGN, where they have more login issues for me, where no username seems to work (because I don't have an IGN account created).

I've also verified the integrity of game cache, but hasn't worked. Please help! You can't use Steam accounts on Gamespy. The problem is that you can't use Steam accounts on Medieval II login, because Gamespy (lets be honest) has disappeared or at least is unsupported.

We should tell CA to release a non-Gamespy powered version for the online feature, given it's poorly performance and quality, and give the community a Steam-friendly version instead.
Post edited by Mgec on

Comments

• Ace BlazerAce Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,874Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Have you created an IGN account? Gamespy games can now use IGN account details to login to the multiplayer. Are you sure you're using the right CD-key?

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/43964-Launcher-music-bug-Steam-says-I-m-playing-M2TW-when-I-m-not-M2TW-MP-Login
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • MgecMgec Senior Member Posts: 124Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    I have tried to sign up to IGN, but every time I try (using the Facebook, Google, o default sign up) I get one of this messages:

-"You cannot register at this time. Please wait and try again." <--- using default sign up

-"Registration failed. Please try again." <--- after choosing a desired username with the Facebook or Google sign ups.

This is starting to be annoying. I repeat, if it isn't a major thing, CA should make a Steam-friendly version of Medieval II like most other games on that platform and stop this "Powered by Gamespy" thing.
  • Ace BlazerAce Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,874Registered Users
    edited October 2012
    Medieval II is too old for that kind of support I think. Obviously that problem is with IGN, so I think you will just have to wait for a day for them to fix their problems.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    edited October 2012
    Do you have any idea on how to tell IGN about this?
    edited October 2012
    Still can't register? If not, is a "Contact Us" link on the bottom of their page.
    edited October 2012
    Ok I'm in IGN, but it keeps telling 'Logon failed - Invalid CD key'. How do you link the game to IGN? I've already created a Player Card on IGN with my desired Steam username, which is the same.
    edited October 2012
    Are you sure your CD key is working? Steam should have given you a CD key in an email. Do you know how to change it?
    edited October 2012
    I just received this email from Steam:

"Dear benja3234,

Thank you for your recent purchase on Steam.

If you’re new to Steam, install the free Steam application now:

http://www.steampowered.com/getsteam

To play your new games, just launch the Steam application on your computer and log in using your Steam account name: benja3234. Your games will be available in Steam on the “Library” tab.

Any Downloadable Content (DLC) you've purchased is automatically downloaded and will be accessible from within the base game on Steam. To view your new DLC from within your Library, right-click on the base game and select “View Downloadable Content.”

This email message will serve as your receipt. You can also access your Purchase History online at any time.Medieval II: Total War Gold 2.49 USD

Subtotal 2.49 USD
    Tax 0.00 USD

Total 2.49 USD

Payment Info
    PayPal 2.49 USD
    Confirmation Number 1621551959371880059
    Date Confirmed Sun Sep 30 08:55:14 2012

For help or product support, please visit http://support.steampowered.com.

The Steam Support Team
    http://www.steampowered.com"

And I don't know how to change the cd key. But yeah as you can see I haven't received one.
    edited October 2012
    Further investigation shows that Steam automatically installs the CD-key into your registry, and doesn't actually give you one via email.

You're launching M2TW only right? Not Kingdoms? Make sure you're doing this all through M2TW. Apparently that works. Also, you can login to your IGN account on IGN.com just fine right? One thing for you to try:

1) You might want to try the solution that's here on the TWC from steps 1-12.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=418988

Is it possible to install M2TW only first? I'd do that instead of installing the whole thing. Login with your new IGN ID (username, password) and see if that works. If it does, then install Kingdoms and try logging in again. This will make sure that Steam installs the CD-key correctly to your registry. If none of that works, maybe you will need to try reinstalling it again with a new IGN account. Yes I know it's stupid.

Below is what's taken from the TWC, the only difference being that they want you to install the whole thing instead of just M2TW.
    I'll just put down the steps I took to get it to work:
    1) Install Medieval II Gold
    2) Verify Integrity of the Game Files for Both Medieval II and its Kingdoms expansion
    Right click, go to properties, then Local Files and then finally Verify Integrity of Game Cache
    3) Fully Exit Steam
    4) Verify Integrity of the Game Files for Both Medieval II and its Kingdoms expansion Again (THIS IS IMPORTANT: Do it at least twice so that you have clean install)
    Right click, go to properties, then Local Files and then finally Verify Integrity of Game Cache
    5) Now, launch Medieval II: total war (not Kingdoms expansion) from Steam
    6) If it works without errors, exit.
    7) Create Gamespy ID for specifically your Steam game (Medieval II or Kingdoms)
    It seems that once you make a Gamespy ID for a certain key and copy of the game, it gets locked in. I'm sure this is true because I have a hard copy of Medieval II and Kingdoms and I tried logging in with that ID to the Steam version and it wouldn't let me.
    8) Now relaunch Medieval II: total war (not kingdoms) from Steam and click multiplayer and Log In Successfully
    9) Once it works, exit.
    10) Launch Medieval II: KIngdoms and make sure no error appears.
    11) Login to multiplayer successfully.
    12) Exit game and Exit Steam
    edited October 2012
    I will try your steps. I have the games separated, even though I bought the Gold version. Steam did that for me.

About step 7...: "7) Create Gamespy ID for specifically your Steam game (Medieval II or Kingdoms)
    It seems that once you make a Gamespy ID for a certain key and copy of the game, it gets locked in. I'm sure this is true because I have a hard copy of Medieval II and Kingdoms and I tried logging in with that ID to the Steam version and it wouldn't let me."

Since Gamespy ID is actually dead, can I lock my Medieval II and Kingdom copies to IGN and do step 7 the same, but instead of Gamespy use IGN?

EDIT: weird thing happened. Before uninstalling Medieval II, I tried to login the multiplayer. Instead of showing me "Logon Failed - Invalid CD key", it showed "Failed to login - Invalid player password". The weird thing is that I put the same password and username of my IGN account. In the end I uninstalled it. I will do your steps. For the time being thanks for your help!
    edited October 2012
    Mgec wrote: »
    Since Gamespy ID is actually dead, can I lock my Medieval II and Kingdom copies to IGN and do step 7 the same, but instead of Gamespy use IGN?
    According to another person, apparently you can use your IGN details instead of the GameSpy. Please update me on how it goes.

I have another question. What happens when try to go to www.gamespyid.com? I was still able to use my GS ID I created in 2000 to login there, but when I created a new account, it redirected me to IGN, and now it'll only redirect to IGN x__X. I don't know if Medieval 2 Gold installs GameSpy Arcade (another separate program). If you have GameSpy Arcade, what happens what you try to login there?

This is the download link if you don't have it. http://download.cnet.com/Gamespy-Arcade/3000-2099_4-12315.html
    edited October 2012
    I don't know if it was because of it, but after logging into Gamespy arcade, which I installed in my PC, the game has accepted me to login. And I'm using the same email, password and username that I used to try with before (which are the same as the Gamespy ones). I guess it was necessary Gamespy Arcade to be installed, but we will never know. BTW my username is SergeantMgec.

Thanks Ace Blazer for your help! Long life to Ace Blazer!
    edited October 2012
    Excellent! Glad it worked :)
  • atulschauhanatulschauhan Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    hey buddy, how you got in.
    I am unable to register to ign.
    Mgec wrote: »
    Ok I'm in IGN, but it keeps telling 'Logon failed - Invalid CD key'. How do you link the game to IGN? I've already created a Player Card on IGN with my desired Steam username, which is the same.
  • rockomonrockomon Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    yup this works. gamespy arcade and IGN username/password/email has to be the same for it to work. it worked for me just now. thanks

PS and you have to add the player card 'Steam' with same username on IGN
  • turtlshellzturtlshellz Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    I am sure this works just fine if you remember your GameSpy account password. But unfortunately I do not and all attempts to access Multiplayer Medieval II using my IGN password (etc) have all failed. This is really depressing to me. Anyway, maybe I will get lucky someday and the old password will magically reappear in my mind. Not too likley. :/
  • SparkermarkerSparkermarker Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Dear CA,
    I love medieval II but I can not play multiplayer with my friends I know you probably wont do anything but I would like to ask if you could update medieval IIs Multiplayer so I dont need a gamespy account which I cant even get anymore.