Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Two games?

Watch4MeWatch4Me Junior MemberPosts: 7Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
Does having two games like Empire Total War and lets say Armed Assault 2 cause any problems like drop in FPS or lag? I only have 4GB of ram. Wi
Post edited by Watch4Me on

Comments

• dtaguedtague Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Hmm, do you mean running two games at one time? That would certainly slow your pc up.
  • TylzenTylzen Senior Member DenmarkPosts: 1,148Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Having them installed, no.
    Run at the same time, yes.
    Games that are installed are not necessarily running, only when you execute the game by most likely double clicking or click launch.

On the other hand, your harddrive might be fragmented after installing software, that could slow down the execution speed of the software, but is easily fixed by de-fragmenting your harddrive.

But the short answer is no.
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,599Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Want high access speed? Getting SSDs for OS and installed programs is getting popular, if you can afford it.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Want high access speed?

LOL you sound like a pusher, Maeda! "Psst! Hey, want high access speed!?"

@OP, AS has been previously posted, generally no, although there is a possibility that you have the fragmentation mentioned. HOWEVER, there IS the slight possibility you have the claustrophobic problem of having limited the amount of drivespace available on your harddrive, OR on the logical drive containing your OS (or both). These annoying problems effectively limit the "swap" space required for the drive to move files and handle them into active memory, either for the program in question, or the OS itself (or both if you're really lucky).

If it isn't space, which you can readily tell by looking at the space left in the drives (and also defraging them while your at it!), you are experiencing something else- for example, warez (cracks and hacked versions) usually come with special presents that use up all your resources as they perform DNS or virus attacks in your name across the known universe...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Want high access speed? Getting SSDs for OS and installed programs is getting popular, if you can afford it.

I totaly agree. SSD's are fast and you get cool stickers. :D

Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    LOL Cracked me right up!

Nothing like sticker whoring to help make the right decision! (Hee hee hee hee!)

Now, should we assume you have one or are working with one (or did you... 'acquire' said sticker through some sort of piratical means?)

LOL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I liked the sticker "...but my HDD has 2TB while your SSD only has 20GB !" :).
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    I have one. And it has 120GB not 20GB. (OCZ Vertex 2 120GB)

I use it for Windows 7, Office, Visual Studio and my Total War games. All the other stuff goed onto my slower RAID array of two 750GB SATA HDD's :D

It realy is one of the best upgrades I've done in the past two years.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited January 2011
    Cool,
    If you could estimate from "seat of the pants feel", how much do you think its improved drive bottleneck for those things you use off of it in percentage terms?