Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

DirectX 11 graphics cards overview

lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical ModeratorLeeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
edited March 2011 in Technology
Wan't to know what graphics card to buy for running ETW & NTW on high settings and which also
should be able to handle Shogun 2? Here's a "recomended" list with DirectX 11 capable hardware.

I've put them in resolution catagories and I'm assuming you want to be able to set everything to, at least, "high" (maybe even "very high") and 4xAA, 16xAF.

[HTML]
1280 x 720 up to 1680 x 1050

Nvidia AMD/ATi
GeForce GTS450 Radeon 5750 1GB
GeForce GTX460 768MB Radeon 5770 1GB

1680 x 1050 up to 1920 x 1080

Nvidia AMD/ATi
GeForce GTX460 1GB Radeon HD6850
GeForce GTX465 Radeon HD5850
GeForce GTX470 Radeon HD6870

1920 x 1080 and higher

Nvidia AMD/ATi
GeForce GTX480 Radeon HD5870
GeForce GTX560Ti Radeon HD6950 1GB
GeForce GTX570 Radeon HD6950 2GB
GeForce GTX580 Radeon HD6970 2GB
Radeon HD5970
GeForce GTX590*
Radeon HD6990 4GB

[/HTML]

* Yet to be officialy announced.

Note: This list only contains DirectX 11 capable hardware. Thinks something is missing? reply below.
Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Post edited by lordmaximus77 on

Comments

• DomusvondutchDomusvondutch Senior Member Posts: 193Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I did use a GTX460 1GB, it was a hawk talon, So I guess thats more like a GTX470 and could play 1920x1200 with a little stutter nothing to serious. So your list is a little bit on the save side.
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Domus wrote: »
    I did use a GTX460 1GB, it was a hawk talon, So I guess thats more like a GTX470 and could play 1920x1200 with a little stutter nothing to serious. So your list is a little bit on the save side.

True. The list is a little bit on the save side. But that's just to be save for Shogun 2.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    Nice list! Could use some color - or, perhaps swimsuit models...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Del ValleDel Valle Senior Member Posts: 131Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    In the first category of resolutions, which would be the best deal out of the first two? My budget is limited to slightly over a hundred bucks, which of these first two cards would be my best bet?
    Thanks.
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I'd second the swim suit models.... *G*

@Del Valle - which country are you from....where (shop ?) would you order the cards...Prices vary from country to country a lot.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Has it been confirmed that TW:S2 will be DX11? And in case it is, will it run on DX10 and DX9?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    @Darkside
    LOL, try to stay with the program! (Yes and yes though :) )

@Del Valle
    Looks like he's in Gainesville,

and even though I went to Notre Dame, I will do my best to help (LOL).

Where to buy
    If you are going to order from the US, either Newegg or Tiger Direct are most likely to have the best combination of selection and price. I build systems just about every month, so it makes more sense for me to buy from Newegg, but for individual items, you may find a better price from TD (or even elsewhere - but your service will probably be a bit sketchy if something doesn't work out right, and usually isn't worth another $10 in savings...).

What to buy for
    I am assuming you are looking at the low end of the resolution range in the lordmaximus' first group. If you are in the upper range, that is why he put those other cards in there, meaning I would NOT reccommend either of the first cards for 1680x1050 unless your gaming and other heavy 3d needs are undemanding indeed -you will NOT be setting much to max.

What to buy

Price, reliability
    The 5750 and GTS450 are in about the same price range right now. Below is a comparison page from Newegg. You can find some of these on TD as well as others not show here on either site. I did NOT include the best card out of this group (the XFX 5750) because it is currently out of stock. If I am just going on paper, I would choose the XFX card because of the XFX service reputation and they are the ONLY maker in this range of cards that currently has an active model they offer a lifetime warrantee for (there are two gts450 makers who provide lifetime warrantees, but one, EVGA, has none it is giving this warrantee to in this class, and the other, Sparkle, I do not reccommend for purchase in the US).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600030348%20600082239&IsNodeId=1&page=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=48%7C14-129-146%5E14-129-146-TS%2C14-102-859%5E14-102-859-TS%2C14-102-865%5E14-102-865-TS%2C14-121-394%5E14-121-394-TS%2C14-130-573%5E14-130-573-02%23

One on One
    To compare a reference GTS450 to the 5750 on paper, the 5750 shows better theoretical performance in GFLOPS and Bandwidth, with fillrate about even, but bench tests tend to result in somewhat the counter-intuitive result that the GTS "games" better. I must say however, at this budget level of performance, it doesn't looks like much, and that is more than it really is (and probably is a result of sub-par AMD driver performance for the titles in question). These two cards have very similar real world performance- hence my going with the AMD card by XFX if I could get my hands on it because of the warranty (pretty much a tied shooting match results in me choosing which side is willing to stand behind their product longer).

This recent article is a good indicator of most online benching showing the 450 somewhere between the 5750 and the 5770...but for another 50 bucks, why aren't you buying the 460gtx (768mb) ??
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-gf106-radeon-hd-5750,2734-6.html

Thats my two bits,

Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

edited January 2011
    I have a limited budget, and really the only games I use a pc for are TW as I use console to play all others. Thank you for your two bits, they definitely worth more than just two. So would these cards run shogun on upper medium? Or High?
    @Iscaran I live in the US as AlJabberwock said.
    Thank you AlJabberwock.
    edited January 2011
    Del Valle,
    What these cards will do for S2...

1)Title Specs
    This is the part where we say we do not have official specs for S2 of any kind, and even then, minimum specs are not very enlightening without contrast (like recommended specs ;) ). What we do have is a few repetitions by CA folk on video inteviews saying that if you can run NTW you can run S2, but S2 scales up from there, but S2 is also more optimized... Wherever THAT leaves us. Heh!

2)System capability, What else you got? :)
    This is the part where we ask what else is in the system? A video card relies on CPU power, Ram, bandwidth, and some other odds and ends depending on what you are doing with the title so I can't really give much input unless I know where we stand on these other items... Generally speaking, TW is a heavy CPU-lean series, and what little I get out of the cryptic remarks by the CA folks (plus knowing we are dealing with the same engine that produced NTW), is that whatever capability you have, CA is going to try to let you use it (resists the knee j.erk response epithet). We can't know to what degree the CPU will be the bottleneck until we can see the 'whites of their multi-core optimizations' (lol), so really anything we say here is a guess even if we have all this information.

3)NTW common results
    What I _can_ tell you is a story about some system results we have gotten for NTW that include some older cards that emulate the two cards you are looking at. Using an Athlon 64 dual core x2 @3.2ghz, a PII quad @ 3.2, and a i7 920 @stock 2.67 to 2.93, all with 6 to 8 gigs of ram running on either HT or QPI type systems, we used the following cards (two that are nearby on paper to what you are looking at): NVidia's 8800gts (an EE, 112 edition from badly-missed BFG), a BFG 260 maxcore OC gtx, a BFG 285 OC GTX, and AMD's 5770 (a reference model from XFX). We used resolutions for 17, 19, 22, 23, and 24" monitors. ( 1280 x 1024, 1440 x 900, 1680 x 1050, 1920 x 1080, and 1920 x 1200).

In general, all of these cards ran NTW pretty well, and the more common problem was computing power, particularly as multi-core support for CPUs is very limited. Even so, the 8800 and 5770 which are similar in their profiles to what you are looking at were able to run NTW when on the PII and i7 with nearly no bobble at all on everything up to the 1920 x1200, but above 1440 x 900 only if shadows were turned off, and with some other sub-par settings the further we went up the resolution scale. Note we did no modding testing with these (i.e. we didn't up the unit number multipliers), as they were already straining with vanilla once we were above 19 inches. The 5770 proved that some on this forum are quite right to tout the 5750 which delivers (at least on paper) something like 95% of the 5770 performance, and the 8800 proved a 3 year old card was as good or better than a lot that have come and gone since.

(BTW Note that the 5750 and 450 have superior gflop rates but inferior bandwidth to the rare 8800 version we used and seemed to indicate to me that there are upper practical limits to efficient use of numbers of streaming processors and that these are determined or limited by Bandwidth - depending on what is going on with the title, system, and settings.)

What I am saying about the cards you are looking at is that as you go up the resolution scale, you will run into trouble trying to use higher settings. The larger ram on the more modern 5750 and 450 will help, but it is difficult to know how much unless we know system details, and the particulars of the title. At lower resoluton these should play pretty nicely indeed. On the other hand, that is what the table is for at the top... it only says exactly that! LOL

edited January 2011
    Thank you very much. And if you care to know My computer has res. of 1280x1024 2.94 duo core, 4 gb RAM, windows 7. The model is inspiron 560s, its a dell. So the cards are about equal in value?
    edited January 2011
    DOH! Thats a pre-built system? Have you looked at the power supply in it?

On the cards?
    In my opinion, yes.

Once again, I do not own either of those two cards personally, but I do have a 5770. Using similarly capable cards, and looking at the designer specs and the benching on Tom's Hardware (check out the link I put in the previous post that points to Toms Hardware benchmark comparison), I would say much what the reviewers said (and what you are likley to see on most boards). The two reference cards (those that have exactly the normal specs as designed by NVidia and AMD) are very similar and perform similarly, with some titles favoring one or the other card. Obviously if you buy a jacked-up version of either, you will probably experience at least some improved results over the 'reference' design.

I tend to exclusively buy NVidia cards because I prefer their driver architecture, however, for recent versions AMD have released, I have changed this behavior because the price/performance ratio for upper-tier 6xxx cards was to significant too ignore.

Al

• HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited January 2011
    Man I wish i had the patience to type so much, that's an awfully long post there for a fairly simple answer :P
    Great suggestions though, really like your choice of words.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
    edited January 2011
    Can we sticky the card list? If not, then the thread?

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Can we sticky the card list? If not, then the thread?

You are a mod. Shouldn't you be able to sticky it yourself?

edited January 2011
    LOL, when I wrote that note I didn't know I was one yet, and in fact didn't have a key to the broom-closet until a few days later...:o

In any event, looks like someone has already done it! Hmmm!

edited January 2011
    Anyone knows when Nvidia and AMD are gonna release their next cards? I know that both are working on multi-GPU cards to exceed the performance of the 580 and 6970 respectively. Or at least any leaks about this topic? I've tried google but got nowhere useful.
    edited January 2011
    Usually I hang around Softsailor and HardOCP when I am waiting on something to get sprung, but neither source has anything of note that is any more concrete than what we knew a month ago.

edited January 2011
    Hmmm, I have a feeling that they are both waiting for the other side to release their version only so that they spend an additional couple of weeks on development to increase the number of cores and/or memory controllers and memory size just to exceed their opponent.
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    AMD said the next generation, lets call it HD7k will arrive around fall/winter 2011.
    nVidia announced the GTX560 to arrive end of january but their next generation will not be there as well until end 2011/start 2012 I guess.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
    edited January 2011
    I think DS and I were thinking about there being some expectation before the third quarter for the dual core versions of the 699x and the 59x -but they seem to be on 'slient-running' since late November, early December.

edited January 2011
    AlJabberwock is right, I am talking about the current generation of the cards not the next one. The Nvidia Kepler is due in the last quarter of 2011. I was expecting a 5XX card that would have a dual GPU with 2GB VRAM or something similar, and I was expecting the same from AMD.

@lordmaximus: sorry for posting off-topic, I'll stop here :D
    edited January 2011
    @Dark Side. I don't think talking about DirectX 11 cards to come is off topic. :)

The Dual GPU cards are "arround the corner". I think they will surface in the coming weeks.

The Nvidia GTX 560 Ti is coming on the 25th of Januari.

The ADM HD69xx 1GB models are coming next month.

edited January 2011
    (Let him think he's out of bounds anyway l-m! ;) - Helps keep him under control... heh heh heh)

• SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited January 2011
    Question; Why does my diag say my computer is DX11, does that mean my card is a DX11 card after all?
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 12/18/2010, 17:38:10
           Machine name: Nemesis
       Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
               Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
           System Model: P5K
                   BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/05/08 17:17:05 Ver: 08.00.12
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8500  @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
                 Memory: 4094MB RAM
              Page File: 1581MB used, 6837MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
            Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series         
         Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
            Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9442)
             DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
           Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9442&SUBSYS_05021002&REV_00
       Display Memory: 2296 MB
     Dedicated Memory: 504 MB
        Shared Memory: 1791 MB
         Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
              Monitor: HP L2208w Wide LCD Monitor

• AlexandroAlexandro Senior Member Zu Lai Temple againPosts: 1,404Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    you have installed the files from the directx 11 on your PC, however, your video card will only really benefit if it has native support, ie gpus amd series 5xxx and above and nvidia 4xx and above.
    edited January 2011
    "...Because mine goes to eleven... " (This is Spinal Tap)

Quite. What happens is that those files are included in the most updated video card driver you downloaded (as they must be to run DX11 cards if you have one), and they are recorded in your DXDiag, and elsewhere. SO you are reported as DX11, but what it means in practice is that you are 'DX11 Ready'. As Alex stated, you are not going to see DX 11 features without the physical architecture in a DX11 card (5xxx or later AMD, or 4xx or later NVidia). There ARE a few things that may get a boost without the architecture, among them is the improved handling of multithreading - although to what degree is yet unproven or at least undocumented.

• SystemSystem Posts: 7,096
    edited January 2011
    Ah I see, thanks guys :)
  • -_iCeMaN_--_iCeMaN_- Senior Member Posts: 109Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Hi I am buying INNO3D GTS450 1GB DDR5 128bit HDMI Video Card do you think I can run smoothly in the game if I buy this videocard?
    edited February 2011
    This is supposed to be a sticky guys... Lets make questions on specific cards in a separate thread please! Thanks! :)

• Lord BeckettLord Beckett Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    You're breaking my balls man :<

I have a 5770HD But I play at 1900x1200 >.< I am so screwd. The cards that do run on good quality at that resolution are a bit to expensive so far :< 200 euro's is my max for a card.