Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Buying a new laptop

The next NapoleonThe next Napoleon Junior MemberPosts: 4Registered Users
edited December 2010 in Technology
Hi,

I'm a big fan of the total war series (up to medieval II due to system limitations). My old laptop is broken and I'm currently looking to buy a new one.

Since I have to buy a new system anyway, I'm willing to invest in a more expensive system if it allows me to play the later titels empire and Napoleon. I have the following system in mind, but am completely out of touch with modern CPUs/ graphic cards/ ...

Can someone tell me whether the following system specs are sufficient to play the above mentioned titles? And if not, what system to look for?

Sony Vaio VPC-EB3S1E/BQ
Intel Core i5 - 460M
(2.53Ghz/3Mb L2/2,5GT/s)
4 GB DDR3-1066
500 Gb HD SATA 5400rpm
X-Black 15,6" TFT
1366x768 - 16:9 + HDMI
ATI Mobility HD 5650 1 GB
DVD +- RW DL Rewritter
Wifi N + Lan + esato + Bluetooth
Win 7 Home Premium (64-bits)
Post edited by The next Napoleon on

Comments

• williamcarter1993williamcarter1993 Senior Member Posts: 636Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    It should. I got this:

Dell Inspiron 1545
    Rating 3.4 gaming graphics
    2.3 gigahertz Pentium Dual core T4500
    4 Gb RAM
    64 bit operating system
    Windows 7 2009 Home Premium
    I think it play DVD.

It plays ETW and NTW well, and I also post on this forum off of it. :D

Look on the back of the box, it tells you the system requirements
    Yea verily, as I gallop through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no human, for I am the hungriest carnivore in all the land
  • The next NapoleonThe next Napoleon Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    How about the graphics card? and will this system allow me to play on "high" settings?
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,335Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited December 2010
    How about the graphics card? and will this system allow me to play on "high" settings?

Well the graphics card is reasonably fast (for a laptop model) and the screen resolution is not that high. So it should be able to run the game on medium settings without AA. As there's enough graphics memory for the resolution you might even be able to set some of the the texture quality settings to high.

But don't expect too much though. The performance of most mobile GPU's are a LOT lower than their desktop counterparts.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • williamcarter1993williamcarter1993 Senior Member Posts: 636Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    I do not know what the name of the graphics card is or what it is symbolized by or I could look at mine and tell you. And what do you mean by High Settings? DO you mean turning all the options to high on the game? If so, I think it will. i think I always do mine like that and it works fine except for lag in MP games.
    Yea verily, as I gallop through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no human, for I am the hungriest carnivore in all the land
  • The next NapoleonThe next Napoleon Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited December 2010
    Oké, I think I'm just goeing to go for it.

Thanks Williamcarter & lordmaximus for your feedback!