Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Best nvidia graphics card for total war?

Typhoon101Typhoon101 Junior MemberPosts: 7Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
Basically, I have no idea about computer hardware, and to get to the point so i don't start waffling, rambling, raving or whatever else I do when I unleash my mind to the keyboard, so here goes:

I need a new graphics card (my SLI cards went bust like 6 months ago) and so i want to know what is the best nvidia card for a PC (don't worry, my dad has the money :cool:). Of course to most people you just look at the most recent one (gtx 580) and say "that's the best", but the father says that is not the case, as different cards work better for some games than others (or something like that:confused:).

so fellow Total War'er's, what graphics card (preferably nvidia) is the best for Total War games?
Post edited by Typhoon101 on

Comments

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,601Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    You should post some information on your system, chip, ram and mobo, maybe your PSU as well.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • Typhoon101Typhoon101 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Sorry about that, here we go:
    intel dual core X6800 @2.93 Ghz
    700 watt PSU
    Asus PSG41C-M LX motherboard
    2Gb RAM
    500Gb HDD

and our temporary Graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 6200 256Mb
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Whats your budget?

If you don't have a limit the GTX 580 definately is a good choice. Alternatively the AMD HD 6970 or HD 6950 (in crossfire) are very good cards for ETW/NTW & Shogun 2 too.

One thing thats important is the memory size. NTW for example uses 1300+ MB's if you set everything to ultra and select 8xAA & 16xAF.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Typhoon101Typhoon101 Junior Member Posts: 7Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    well my dad gets quite a bit of money for a contract, but I showed him the 580 and he said "no chance", see he doesn't like to spend money much, but I told him about the 570 and the 480 and he said we'll see. He prefers to use nvidia, though i'm not sure why.
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Well if you just want to "play" the game with many/most graphics settings and on high resolutions I think a rather cheap GTX460 1GB card should be sufficient enough.

Alternatively you could recommend the HD6850 and HD6870. The HD6850 even exists in a passive cooled "silent" version. These cards are all around 150€-180€.
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Typhoon,
    Since you are located in the UK, price points will be different for you than they are for those of us 'across the pond'. In terms of answering your questions as they are posed in the absence of money, the best performing single card IS the 580GTX. This is without doubt. It is also pretty pricey even here in the US, traditionally a haven for good deals on new stuff. A 580 goes for about 560 USD, wheras for almost 40% less, the 570GTX provides about 95% of the performance, a 470 for about 50% of the price give about 75 to 80% of the performance, and some 460s can outperform some 470s for even less money! :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600007323%20600062521&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=48%7C14-125-354%5E14-125-354-TS%2C14-121-409%5E14-121-409-TS%2C14-130-550%5E14-130-550-TS%2C14-130-568%5E14-130-568-TS

Of course, thats all on paper, and price where you are may vary considerably. Benchmarks can be helpful but there are not too many that will show all the cards you are looking for in conjunction with the titles you may be interested in. I assume you will be wanting this to run S2 among other things? Is there any possibility that you also might accept trying out a 6850 or 6870 from the 'other guys' as Iscaran suggested? Other wise I would be looking at superclocked 460s with a gig of memory I think...
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4012/nvidias-geforce-gtx-580-the-sli-update/2

Don't get me wrong, I only use AMD cards for testing in general as I don't care for their driver architecture, but beside the 460 and 570, the 6870 is an excellent bang for the buck card and I have ordered one inspite of myself.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest