Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Carthage Battle Gameplay Walkthrough - Total War: Rome II

Will CAWill CA No longer working for CARegistered Users Posts: 1,342
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
Hey guys,

After a week of hinting, the most requested video we’re ever had is finally here. The full Carthage battle in-game fly-over is up now on Gamespot. Our very own James Russell talks though the entire siege, with Total War: Rome II information a plenty.

http://uk.gamespot.com/total-war-rome-ii/videos/carthage-battle-gameplay-walkthrough-total-war-rome-ii-6398557/

Also, there are still a couple of days left to cast your vote in the golden joysticks. Total War: Rome II is up for ‘One to Watch’ and Fall of the Samurai is up for ‘Best Strategy’:

[URL="http://www.goldenjoystick.com/
"]http://www.goldenjoystick.com/[/URL]

Enjoy!

-Will CA
Rally Point.

The formal disclaimer: any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.
Post edited by Will CA on

Comments

• ~UNiOnJaCk~~UNiOnJaCk~ Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    Genius, will so be voting for both the CA titles at the awards. Well done CA keep things up :D
  • ThisIsLochnessThisIsLochness Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 185
    edited October 2012
    Great gameplay video for a Pre-Alpha. It looks good and I think that India will be in the game since Indian elephants are in the gameplay video :confused:
    ]
  • ~UNiOnJaCk~~UNiOnJaCk~ Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 145
    edited October 2012
    Having now actually watched the video 3 times in a row, and having been through and entire box of tissues from constant weeping from joy, i have a number of question that i don’t really expect official answers to, but will ask them anyway.

1: this is more of an observation, but at this stage in development there doesn’t appear to be anything in the way of blood/gore? Is this for a later addition further on in the dev process or can we expect to see some of Rome-esque blood pack like we did with Shogun II? Or maybe, as horrifying as this would be, there won’t be any gore at all..?

2: the city looks vast, is Carthage to be the largest city within the game, or can we expect all major capitals to be of roughly the same scale? And is all of it playable? at one point we were scrolled right to the top of a hill overlooking the vast city complex below, i would personally love to be able to conduct one last ditch epic last stand sort of thing up there if i were playing as the defender, but wouldn’t we all? :P

3: CA, please oh please oh please, pretty please with sugar and cherries on top release this battle as a demo, just an appetiser to wet our taste buds, i dont even think anyone would care how pre alpha this is it looks epic as is. I want to be able to lay waste to Carthage. Maybe even a demo this far in advance might be of some use? Especially in regards to the comments about optimising the system requirements to similar levels to Shogun. It would give you plenty of advanced warning on things to touch up/work on before you get in to Alpha and Beta stages.

4: can’t tell you how amazing the beach assault looks, the vicious nature of combat, i mean did anyone else clock that legionary having his organs redistributed when he stormed the walls? The whole thing reminded me in many ways of the film Troy, cept less Brad Pitt ish. Especially in the closing parts of the film where the Greeks stormed and laid waste to the weary Trojan defenders, that it what this battle reminds me of.
  • amenallah1992amenallah1992 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 584
    edited October 2012
    OMG , thx CA !! that was pure epicness.
    TIME , the devourer of everything .
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandRegistered Users, Moderators Posts: 8,876
    edited October 2012
    Slowly but surely you are converting me to like the idea of Rome II.

Dang you, the Gods of digital lands and bitmapped skies!!!

*shakes his fist at the skies*
  • KlunzKlunz Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,436
    edited October 2012
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
    [PORTABLE-ID]crazysteve[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • JokerJoker Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 644
    edited October 2012
    Was a great video, one question/remark I have, the men running over the rubble seem to do this at full speed ! I hope you guys tone this down as running over rubble shouldn't be that easy and infact be a kind of natural barrier aswell ? Know it's pre-alpha, just wanted to point this out :)

Take your time, don't rush the game ladies and gents at the CA office, I'd rather have the game at the end of 2013 as well polished as possible.
    My top five of next Total War installments:
    1) TW: Rome II
    2) TW: China
    3) TW: Lord of the Rings
    4) TW: Victorian
    5) TW: Star Wars
    [PORTABLE-ID]joker[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • SystemSystem Posts: 7,177
    edited October 2012
    OMG that is the best game I have ever seen in my life!!! the storming of the beach was incredible as was the way the Romans just swarmed over the city wall debris after it collapsed and did you see the size of the city? not going to be able to use battle timers in this game :eek:

I have a question too -if Carthage had had a unit on the beach when the Romans were disembarking from the ships would they have been able to engage them and fight aorund the ship itself?
  • joecardiffjoecardiff Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 257
    edited October 2012
    OH. MY. GOD. Amazing. I'd honestly accept it if you released it as it is now. And there's still >1 year to go. I love you CA.
  • amenallah1992amenallah1992 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 584
    edited October 2012
    the new camera .. just amazing !
    TIME , the devourer of everything .
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaRegistered Users, Tech Moderators Posts: 6,391
    edited October 2012
    fandamtastic!! Way 2 go CA, you've even impressed me!
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • ValHDValHD Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 26
    edited October 2012
    This video realy impressed me! To describe in one word it is EPIC!!! And it is just pre-alpha. Amazing work! Thanks CA! And thanks for commentary James Russell! It will be not only the Best Total War Game and the Best Strategy Game, but also The Best Game of the next year! CA have everything to achive that goal: Greate team, Experience 10+ years in making Total War games, Passion in what they are doing, Have a connection with a community, Listening to the fans, Big budget. I hope CA will make at least 2 expansions like it was in Rome 1!
  • MacroMacro Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 28
    edited October 2012
    It's like better than sex.
    If you think of me, think of one thing. Rome.
    Rome is the thing I'm interested most in. The roman era, war tactics and history of Rome is all so fascinating and interesting. I'm all for it, films & books.

BRING ON ROME TOTAL WAR 2!!!!
  • UknowwhoUknowwho Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 25
    edited October 2012
    Very nice...Great to see a full video :) ...Next please, Maybe one with post marian legionaries ;p
  • on a mountainon a mountain Senior Member Basel, SwitzerlandRegistered Users Posts: 1,018
    edited October 2012
    Very nice. I had to laugh, because over at Gamespot there are actually people who believe this is a cinematic trailer and has nothing to do with gameplay. lol.

About the several rally points in big cities: Good idea! Just make sure you find ways to avoid the defender dispersing their forces on different rally points, while the attacker concentrates on one point after the other. That would make conquering cities too easy.
  • elite_hoplite91elite_hoplite91 Member Registered Users Posts: 60
    edited October 2012
    I've just watched the video and my mind exploded....If this is pre-Alpha imagine how epic the game will look when it is finished....Where to start, about the assault on the beach, about the climbing to the siege towers, the unit camera, the battle on the walls etc. This game is huge.Thank you CA for putting your best efforts to this!
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaRegistered Users, Tech Moderators Posts: 6,391
    edited October 2012
    Very nice. I had to laugh, because over at Gamespot there are actually people who believe this is a cinematic trailer and has nothing to do with gameplay. lol.

About the several rally points in big cities: Good idea! Just make sure you find ways to avoid the defender dispersing their forces on different rally points, while the attacker concentrates on one point after the other. That would make conquering cities too easy.

I think the point is that you have to control a number of these points at the same time, meaning they must be defended. I don't think that this will be much of an issue if the number of units defending is similar to the number that is attacking. Which if your playing the battle on the battlemap anyways your probably gonna have that.
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USARegistered Users, Moderators, Knights Posts: 23,135
    edited October 2012
    Excellent video. You probably have a great game already, based on some of the details - like exploding and falling buildings - that I can see now. Waiting another year will be extremely difficult, even if very worthwhile!

thumb_smile045.gif
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin/Mark Twain
    “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”–George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.

edited October 2012
    How come no-one has mentioned the music? it sounds great! I look forward to hearing the rest if they are anything like the music you can hear in the video.

Also when the building comes down, did you see that dude get smooshed? man that looks awful! but awesome in the same way.

• louis_le_21emelouis_le_21eme Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 22
    edited October 2012
    That's it CA you have sold this game to me, done. What more can I say? When can I pre-order?
  • CentropsCentrops Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 523
    edited October 2012
    Wow, this video has exceeded even my expectations. I would gladly wait over a year if they polish up something that looks this amazing. My only gripe is the lack of unit variety in the video, but I'm well aware that this is pre-alpha.
  • Zork90Zork90 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,439
    edited October 2012
    WOW, This made my fantastic day......... even more fantastic.

Thanks CA, Rome2 is a wet dream for me!!!
    The North Remembers
    You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.
  • srl67srl67 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 370
    edited October 2012
    Absolutely stunning! It looks so gritty and dirty, with an amazing atmosphere. This is pre-Alpha!!!!!
  • Half_Life_ExpertHalf_Life_Expert Senior Member Oak Park, CA , USARegistered Users Posts: 4,686
    edited October 2012
    just saw it, the epicness is unbearable!

take as long as you need to perfect this CA!
    "we have officially entered into pre-whinning about our games."- Cogre

I will always respect differing opinions on here, so long as they are presented maturely and in a civil manner

"No Battleplan ever survives contact with the enemy"- Helmuth Von Moltke the Elder

The WWI Thread: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/30914/why-a-world-war-i-themed-total-war/p1

I'm skipping TW: Warhammer
  • viron1997viron1997 Member Registered Users Posts: 43
    edited October 2012
    O M G, the best game I've ever see!!!
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 5,921
    edited October 2012
    The music sounds great so far. Reminds me of the old Spartacus movie. I hope we get something more urgent when the actual battle starts though.

DAT TACTICAL VIEW!!!!

"Defender can no longer just defend the plaza"
    Well thank the gods!!!

I can tell the charging mechanics could use some work. The Carthaginian line doesn't even bend when a whole formation tackles them.

Routing mechanics should be more realistic (see 8:40 of the vid). Instead of a whole unit routing at once, it should be more of a trickle effect. For instance a portion routs first, then a split second later the rest follow as they realize their mates are leaving. All in all more flow to the act of routing would be nice.

Hey it's all pre-alpha so hopefully these changes to the engine can be incorporated!

For those wondering about the architecture of Carthage, here's something from bobbin at TWC.
    The akropolis was not exclusive to Greek cities, most cultures recognised the importace of having a fortified place on a hill near or within a settlement. The akropolis in Carthage was called the Byrsa.

We have a decent knowledge of Punic architecture from excavations of numerous Punic cities including Carthage, it generally seems to have been quite a eclectic mix of Phoenician, Greek, Italian, native Libyan and Egyptian influences.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaRegistered Users Posts: 1,681
    edited October 2012
    This is looking good, real good. And it's only pre-alpha! Now I can't wait to see the campaign :p.
  • LorenzohhLorenzohh Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 675
    edited October 2012
    yet again your trailer has ruined a perfect pair of pants, cant wait untill its released.
    Welcome to the internet. Where men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
  • PATRIOT45PATRIOT45 Senior Member SwitzerlandRegistered Users Posts: 686
    edited October 2012
    OHH MY FREAKING GOD! Awesome!! Thx CA!!

And thx SEGA for this huge budget ;)
    Watch out: Arena is more addictive than cocaine! :p
  • DateDate Member Registered Users Posts: 49
    edited October 2012
    Can't wait, and they say its going to even look better than it did in the video and was pretty dang good looking.

And you gotta love that scene when he looks out of the seige tower to see the carnage below.
    Leadership is a matter of intelligence, trustworthiness, humaneness, courage, and sterness...When one has all five virtues together, then one can be a leader. Sun Tzu Chinese general and author of the Art of War

The two things I look foward to in life the Hobbit and Rome 2.