Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adorbs

Russians are tough

Millst0neMillst0ne Senior MemberPosts: 148Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Empire: Total War
I'm playing a camphain as the Russians and i attacked Sweden. My whole (small) army was routed except a unit of line inf. The swedes have lots of cavalry but not much inf. except for 2 units of armed citizens, 1 militia and 1 line inf. My 1 unit of line inf. are in a house and are sniping the swedes one by one:cool:

3 attacks have been mounted on the house and they all ended with the attacking troops being routed. The only unit they have capable of taking it NOW are militia who have clumsy AI syndrome and wont attack. The battle (sniperfest) is playing out now. I will update ya and tell what happens.

Aint that insane. Im so proud of my virtual men:D
Post edited by Millst0ne on
Bunny for shogun:cool:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Comments

• williamcarter1993williamcarter1993 Senior Member Posts: 636Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Better make sure they don't run out of ammunition!
    Yea verily, as I gallop through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no human, for I am the hungriest carnivore in all the land
  • NubarusNubarus Senior Member Posts: 359Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    You where lucky the Swedish didn't have a canon and blew the house into a pile of firewood. :p
  • Millst0neMillst0ne Senior Member Posts: 148Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I won. I was down to 45 men, who are on there way home for vodka:cool:. They (the Swedish) did have a canon hiding in the trees, But by then their army was down to 50 60 pikemen and militia. I ran outside and killed em all and then rushed the canon and destroyed it, winning the battle.:D

I was sieging a city and they came out and attacked me, Thats how it all started. I went around their flank and into the city. Then all **** broke loose.

The siege is still on and reinforcements are on the way.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 967Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I like playing the Russians. Its a very descent Challenge. You got Turks, Swedes, Tatars and Georgians all knocking on your door. You gotta hit them hard and fast before they get to strong for you.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
  • ViCToRiaViCToRia Banned Posts: 1,297Banned Users
    edited January 2011
    Nice story , great achievment , probably a bug :p
  • SugamSugam Senior Member Posts: 400Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Try playing the Turks in hard+ difficulty in both campaign and combat for a real challenge ;)
  • Dark SideDark Side Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Sugam wrote: »
    Try playing the Turks in hard+ difficulty in both campaign and combat for a real challenge ;)

And if you like seeing your men getting massacred by every other nation in the game :D
  • Millst0neMillst0ne Senior Member Posts: 148Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    :eek:

I think i'll stay away from the turks then.........

Lol:)
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
  • BernieBBernieB Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    If you think that’s difficult try playing the Ottoman Empire. Everyone hates you even other Muslim nations and your troops are really inferior. If you are looking for a challenge Play Ottoman on high difficulty cause you will need totally new battle tactics. Sneaky ambushes, headlong cavalry charges and concentrated artillery fire is the only thing that works cause their line infantry is useless at least until you have researched European Doctrine.
  • SylvosSylvos Junior Member Posts: 4Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Yeh when using ottomans I went heavy on the melee jannisaries lots of cavalry and a lot of howitezers, really different battles until I got those nice elite jannisary line infantry
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I always found the US and Prussia to be the hardest. The US is hard because the natives are aggressive as hell, and completely outclass non-elite units in melee that they are sure to go for first. Prussia is hard because you are surrounded by enemies, with Poland betraying you're friendship, or not accepting any right of transit which is vital to connect you're provinces. Austria, Sweden, and or Russia will attack you within 4 turns, and you due to you're financial position you must chose between fixing you're econamy, and building more men who can fight the coming war.

Once you break the Austrian armies in the field, you must quickly blitz their cities and take them in quick succession before they can recover- this is you're only chance for victory.

Against Sweden you are pretty much stuck as it's difficult for Prussia to build a navy that can compete. Russia overwhelmed East Prussia that is isolated from Berlin and forced to fend for itself against an entire empire.

There is also a chance that Poland will ally itself with Austria and attack you as you're armies engage the Austrian armies...
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • CoineachCoineach Senior Member Posts: 541Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I agree that Russia is one of the tougher ones. I'm currently playing Russia. It takes a while to get Russia into the ridiculously wealth phase, you have a vast land to protect so you need a massive army, but it takes Russia a while to get into the lucrative sea trades. Furs just don't quite do it.

The war with Swedan is a monster. It took me a very long time to get a big enough invading army together in order to take on the massive stacks that Swedan keeps at Stockholm. I have managed to capture Stockholm after a very bloody battle but the war goes on as more Swedish armies run amuck around the country side. Once I've establish order I should be able to take on the remaining Swedes. They are bankrupt so I will eventually win the war of attrition if I can hold the capital.
    Wake me up when they make Empire 2 ;)
  • IAmNapoleonIAmNapoleon Senior Member Posts: 306Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Steps for making Russia powerful and wealthy...

1.research plug bayonet
    2. build up lots of infantry
    3.ally with Sweden and Poland
    4.attack Georgia and Dagestan
    5.fortify borders
    6.build up more troops and continue to research military tech
    7.betray Poland then take Lithuania and the other region they have close to Russia
    8.fortify borders
    9.build more troops and betray Sweden
    10. take st Petersburg and Estonia and Livonia
    11.sue for peace with all nations at war with..
    12.if they do not accept build troops take there capital destroy everything then withdraw
    13.if they still don't accept then build more troops and take more of their regions..

russiacamapign1.png
    russiancampaign2.png
    russiancampaign33.png
    russiadiplomacy1.png

i am gaining about 20k a turn and is the year 1745
    System: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE - AMD Radeon 5770 1GB - 4GB DDR2 HyperX - 550W PSU - 18.5" Monitor
    edited January 2011
    I attempted to make peace with Swedan early in the game. It could be because I took Ingria (but how could Peter go without St. Petersburgh). I took Finland and offered it back to Swedan in exchange for Peace, but they weren't interested, so I just ingnored them for a while as I dealt with Ottoman and Rebel possessions in the south.

I'm actually doing o.k. now financially. After making peace with the Ottoman Empire I was able to get into the Ivory trade so I'm making 4000 per turn. I'm at the year 1725.

I've maintained the Polish Alliance which is weird since now I'm pretty much wrapped almost all around them.

Still in the midst of the rather difficult destruction of Swedan.

P.S.

If anyone reads this can you tell me what the use of Russian Hand Mortar Companies is, above and beyond making fun whizzing noises? So far they always give me the least kills of any unit that gets into the battle action.
  • IAmNapoleonIAmNapoleon Senior Member Posts: 306Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Coineach wrote: »
    I attempted to make peace with Swedan early in the game. It could be because I took Ingria (but how could Peter go without St. Petersburgh). I took Finland and offered it back to Swedan in exchange for Peace, but they weren't interested, so I just ingnored them for a while as I dealt with Ottoman and Rebel possessions in the south.

I'm actually doing o.k. now financially. After making peace with the Ottoman Empire I was able to get into the Ivory trade so I'm making 4000 per turn. I'm at the year 1725.

I've maintained the Polish Alliance which is weird since now I'm pretty much wrapped almost all around them.

Still in the midst of the rather difficult destruction of Swedan.

P.S.

If anyone reads this can you tell me what the use of Russian Hand Mortar Companies is, above and beyond making fun whizzing noises? So far they always give me the least kills of any unit that gets into the battle action.

i use them for some extra firepower

like this

KEY.
    Hand Mortar Comp: _
    Line Inf: +
    Cav: >

>> _ _ _ _ _ _ >>
    ++++++++++++++

i like to put my unit on a hill
    i might have 4 units of mortar comp and 9 units of line inf with 3 unit of cav and 3-4 reg or arty and a general bodyguard
    System: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE - AMD Radeon 5770 1GB - 4GB DDR2 HyperX - 550W PSU - 18.5" Monitor
    edited January 2011
    Yes, I suppose that makes sense. I've been using their indirect fire from the second rank but I guess I haven't deployed enough of them so far to make a real difference.