Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Are we THERE YET..NewBuild

NanTanLupanNanTanLupan Junior MemberPosts: 12Registered Users
edited January 2011 in Technology
Well i have waited for the Sandy launch..and read a million posts and want a final check on my adjusted build.
Here goes: i7 Bloomfield 950 $299
ASUS Sabertooth $199
Corsair 3x2GB Dominator 1600 $134
WD Caviar Black 1TB 6.0 SATA $89
EVGA GTX 570 $360
Coolmaster Silent Pro M 850 80plus $125
Coolmaster HAF 932 Case KWN3 $160
Noctua NH-D14 cooler $70
HansG HZ251 HPB 25" Monitor $215
Windows 7 64 Home Prem $99
? Drive $20?

Already have Rat7 Mouse and cyborg keyboard,,Advice on the Drive of general and gaming spec would be nice .. and any red flags in the general build. I would like to hear this is generally better than the Sandy stuff as it seemed a bit more for the everyday user and Not so much Gamer Goodness..And i intend to add more HD storage later.. the 1.5 and 2tb drives got beat up on reviews a bit too much to make me comfortable on NewEgg..and last if i was to put a SSD say the Vertex 2 in as the startup what size 40 ..60 ..or >....or just wait for them to come down in price later... An Aljabberwock's idea of light security is to my liking,no firewall...I have a medium size STEAM account ..Thanks in advance for your opinions ,,,
Post edited by NanTanLupan on

Comments

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Well. The i7 2600K is arround the same pricepoint as the i7 950. And its faster, easier to OC and you don't need an expensive X58 based chipset with triple channel memory.

So If I were you. I would swap the i7 950 for a i7 2600K, take the SabreTooth P67 (or cheaper model) board and put in 8GB 1600MHz DD3.

It would cost you about the same.

About the SSD.

They really are fast! But to really benefit from the speed you don't want to use it for your OS only. The biggest advantage an SSD offers is the speed advantage when loading large programs and most played games.

I personaly think SSD's are getting usefull @ 90GB and up. Your OS + Swap + Virusscan + Office and various little apps can fill a 60GB model fast. And you really want some room for the other big apps and most played games.

I use a Vertex II 120GB for OS + Office + Visual Studio + ETW + NTW + ARMA II and various small tools.

The rest of your setup looks fine by the way. :)
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • IscaranIscaran Tech-Hero. Posts: 4,229Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    As maximus said the 2600 Sandy is a much better suited alternative here in this price region.

Personally I would install a light-weight antivirus definitely...you can just quickly shut it down when you really need the extra 2% CPU boost for gaming. For example try the AVIRA antivirus www.avira.com

As for the SSD unless you already go for a quite expensive large one 120GB or similar you only can install very little games on it.
    If you are no hardware maniac I would also wait as it still remains unclear how longevity stable SSDs are in the long run...1million read/write cycles lifetime may sound good - but considering SSD technically work more like RAM 1 million cycles is not thaaat much. And IMO they are still just to expensive you get a fast SATA 6GBit/s 2TB HDD for just 80€ which stores like 10or 20 times the data of an SSD. And just think about the size of current games which would be the most loaded stuff I suppose - ETW 18GB, NTW 23GB, STW2 probably larger than that...there is only sooo little space on SSDs.

Last note - did you consider getting a HD 6950 2GB ? Should save 100$ compared to GTX570 - has much more VRAM (important for TW series games, but others as well especially with growing resolution. There are already a few games that break down on ultra settings because of VRAM needs larger than 1.5GB

AND you can make it into a 6970 with a simple trick: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/5246-Unlock-a-6950-to-a-6970...-and-save-80
    Iscaran

Hero.

If you need help with a support request on these boards please read this and follow the instructions.
  • lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,337Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Iscaran wrote: »
    Last note - did you consider getting a HD 6950 2GB ? Should save 100$ compared to GTX570 - has much more VRAM (important for TW series games, but others as well especially with growing resolution. There are already a few games that break down on ultra settings because of VRAM needs larger than 1.5GB

AND you can make it into a 6970 with a simple trick: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/5246-Unlock-a-6950-to-a-6970...-and-save-80

Iscaran is right on the HD6950. Flashing it to a HD6970 is a breeze and brings it very close to GTX 570 performancewise.
    For TW titles you really need that 2GB of VRAM. On Full HD (1920 x 1080) and higher resulutions with all settings on Ultra and AA on 4x NTW hits 1.3GB+ of VRAM usage. That's more then the 1.25GB on the GTX 570.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

• NanTanLupanNanTanLupan Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Well i have been scanning the sites,,and come up with this:
    i7 2600K 3.4.....$329
    Asus P8 P67 Deluxe LGA .....$239
    OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR3 2133 PC3 17000
    Asus 6950---> flashed to 6970
    With the rest of the system the same as orginally posted ,,is the new Ram worth the extra cash or is Corsair Dom 1600 good enough..Oh and am i gonna have Driver issues with the non Nvida card???
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    ;) I feel Iscaran getting ready to receive ANOTHER PM... ROFL
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
    edited January 2011
    Well i have been scanning the sites,,and come up with this:
    i7 2600K 3.4.....$329
    Asus P8 P67 Deluxe LGA .....$239
    OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR3 2133 PC3 17000
    Asus 6950---> flashed to 6970
    With the rest of the system the same as orginally posted ,,is the new Ram worth the extra cash or is Corsair Dom 1600 good enough..Oh and am i gonna have Driver issues with the non Nvida card???

Having faster Ram is always better ofcourse. But I don't think the small difference in performance (2133MHz vs 1600MHz) justifies the huge difference in price.

Why would you buy the Deluxe edition and not the "normal" edition of the P8P67? The Deluxe is prety expensive.

About driver issues: Lets just say nobody is perfect. Both AMD and Nividia have a known issues list. Both companies release new drivers on a regular base. So If there would be issues they usualy get fixed fast enough.

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Hopefully readers will read this entire note before responding.

DRIVERS and CARDS
    As a decades-long veteran of constant driver switching and testing, responsible for anywhere from a a half dozen to nearly a hundred machines, I can say without hesitation that NVidia driver architecture is far superior if you need to change driver versions frequently or rapidly or with fewer problems (this is not to say NO problems!). I would also say that that often (well almost ALWAYS) drove my card chip preference until a few months ago.

I would also say that having used both, the AMD drivers have been far more troublesome for TW gamers (not just them, but then again some NVidia drivers have been worse for OTHER title users) until probably the AMD 10.x Catalyst drivers. These are significantly improved vis a vis TW results and problems (as well as hybrid and a few other issues). While we don't have S2 in our hands yet, it is with interest that I note the AMD cards are the reference cards for the recommended component.

AMD cards ARE THE REFERENCE CARDS. Do Nota Bene as they say in Latin (Note this well). I find that and the Gen 2 i7 recommendtion equally stunning. More on that below...

Anyway, a Sharp-eyed reader will have noted I chose away from AMD cards until a few months ago. Indeed, Nota Bene, card performance per dollar and the newest drivers performance on AMD cards for TW titles are very good. I would hazard dollar for dollar, BETTER than the NVidia equivalent. Now, if money is no object, NVidia has the top card. Period. Also in my experience Catalyst drivers are still clunkier to get rid of more often than their NVidia counterparts, but if you aren't doing it very often which the average joe shouldn't, it shouldn't matter to you very much. I have Purchased the first AMD cards for personal and family use in the last few months since about 2001, and recommended them to those I have assisted as well. It is highly possible I will acquire a few more in the next month or two, although I doubt I will use them for testing! :)

CPU
    I will revisit the i7 2600k for several reasons, not the least of which is the spec for this seems to limit the 1155 platform as sub-par for multiple PCIe use (SLI and CrossFire) as the initial data sheet from Intel indicates only 1x16 or 2x8 is supported for desktops, and it also uses the older DMI standard bus interface. While this new visitation of the less-scalable bus type (version 2.0) DOES just barely eek out a .2 GB faster bus speed, ultimately overall maximum bandwidth is inferior for the dual channel solution and CPU and motherboard price differntials are actually slightly UNfavorable (at least in the US). Yes, the stock/turbo frequencies of the CPU beat any 1st gen 1366 stock settings , but whether one believes the more delicate 32n 1155 will overclock farther and firmer than its older sibling is not yet known nor can it be for a while as longevity (as in SSDs) is still unconfirmed. I have a 920 whose low stable overclock of 3.8 does not trouble it even slightly. It easily achieves overclocks well above 4, and cost me about $300 two years ago when it was new.

There ARE some things that this iteration of the i7 does very well. Much better in fact than the older model, but gaming benchmarking is probably not going to be it based on the limitations it has at least so far. Ultimately as I have been looking at it, it looks like a dead-end on the tree, an experimentation with the 32n construction, pefecting THAT in preparation for real branching out on the next attempt.
    http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/324641.pdf

I would want to verify either one, you only want one card, or you do not mind non native support for two cards in anything faster than 8x PCIe 2.0

Al
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

edited January 2011
    Thats a good piece of text Aljabberwock. It got me rethinking the i7 thing too.

About the 2x PCI-E x16 vs. 2x PCI-E x8 and Sandy bridge:

Most comparison benchmarks show the perfomance impact of a running a CrossFire/SLI setup on 2x x8 instead of 2x x16 is minimal.
    But its there. So if you dont want to bet on the i7 2600K being a better OC candidate and want to squeze out every last frame you might want to look at i7 9xx series combined with a X58 chipset. They offer superior CrossFire & Bus/Memory perfomance.

But the first OC results on the i7 look promising. Most of them go beyond 4GHz on air. Also the new turbo modes seem to work better.

It's a matter of choosing between the beaten track where you know what you can get out of it or choosing the new and bareley walked path where the results look promising but are by no means guaranteed.

edited January 2011
    LOL,
    I will take the compliment. This will not change the memory bandwidth, or the fact that the same overclocks on air are reached regularly with gen 1 as well. That I am risk averse and use liquid cooling is a tribute to my investment strategy, not a need for Gen 1 ;)
    If you want to try to sell me on the fact I either will not buy a second card or will do so only to cut its bandwidth in half (!) I will offer this: upper reaches of bandwidth whether they are on the PCIe or RAM interfaces are principally of interest when one is maximizing, or regularly pressing the upper limits of the path in question. Larger resolutons, more of them (multiple screens), maximum effects in a highly detailed title with MANY moving parts... these gargantuan tests of strength where things may not be as optimized as one might wish, or perhaps they are but demands are so scalable, demands have no bounds. In MY hour of need, I want to know I have done what I can to prepare for the great unknown (the yet to be relased! LOL). I can think of a title or two for which I do not have the answer yet, so I would sure as HECK want to maximize my chances and future flexibility.

I should probably be selling insurance!

Al