Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Only 8 Factions in Rome 2 Total War

The DonThe Don Senior MemberPosts: 218Registered Users
edited March 2013 in Total War: ROME II
Looked at the Faction list and there is only space for 8 faction :(
Could of sworn CA said that there would be loads. However if this does mean each faction will be unique with regards to tech tree and units then I do not have a problem.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions
Post edited by The Don on
i7 930 @ 2.8ghz Overclocked to 4.1ghz (Upgrading to Haswell only due to Rome II Total War)
Rampage 3 Extreme Mobo
6 gigs DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT @ 2000mhz
Nvidia MSI GTX 690
CoolerMaster HAF-X Tower Case

Comments

• DrippyDrippy Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    My guess is they're going to split each faction into 3 possible sub-factions with different bonuses, which is the route they've taken so far with Rome and Carthage.
  • VordusVordus Senior Member Posts: 166Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    The Don wrote: »
    Looked at the Faction list and there is only space for 8 faction :(
    Could of sworn CA said that there would be loads. However if this does mean each faction will be unique with regards to tech tree and units then I do not have a problem.

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Factions

Welcome to a few weeks ago I guess?

Anyways, its 8 playable factions yes, but many more that is unplayable (which you can probably play anyways)
  • The DonThe Don Senior Member Posts: 218Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Drippy wrote: »
    My guess is they're going to split each faction into 3 possible sub-factions with different bonuses, which is the route they've taken so far with Rome and Carthage.

Thank you. Love CA me.
    i7 930 @ 2.8ghz Overclocked to 4.1ghz (Upgrading to Haswell only due to Rome II Total War)
    Rampage 3 Extreme Mobo
    6 gigs DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT @ 2000mhz
    Nvidia MSI GTX 690
    CoolerMaster HAF-X Tower Case
  • doinwork34doinwork34 Technical Moderator Posts: 2,567Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators
    edited December 2012
    Yes, they said there will be more factions OVERALL (not necesarilly playable) AND they said that there wont really be more playable factions, but the factions that are playable will have much, much more depth to them. In other words, each faction will be like playing an entirely different game, instead of just feeling like your playing the same game from a different perspective like it has been in the past...hopefully that makes sense.
    Good to go for Rome II! CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.0ghz GPU: GTX 760 4gb @1215MHz-RAM: 8GB1600 Ballistix TracerPSU: Corsair HX750w
  • Emperor DowleyEmperor Dowley Junior Member Posts: 28Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    doinwork34 wrote: »
    Yes, they said there will be more factions OVERALL (not necesarilly playable) AND they said that there wont really be more playable factions, but the factions that are playable will have much, much more depth to them. In other words, each faction will be like playing an entirely different game, instead of just feeling like your playing the same game from a different perspective like it has been in the past...hopefully that makes sense.

I agree with doinwork. Depending on what you do with your faction it will change everything for you.
  • yourselfyourself Member Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Drippy wrote: »

It's not 3 possible sub-factions. Rather 3 political groups like: Politicians,Economists or Militarists. I think that it will only grant bonuses depending on wchich group we choose but not different nations....
  • DrippyDrippy Member Posts: 68Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    yourself wrote: »
    It's not 3 possible sub-factions. Rather 3 political groups like: Politicians,Economists or Militarists. I think that it will only grant bonuses depending on wchich group we choose but not different nations....

It's possible I misunderstood their intentions with the 3 Roman families and the 3 major political groups of Carthage. In my defense, if you read the wiki pages for the factions it sorta leads you to that being possible :p
    edited December 2012
    Rome won't be divided into few families as in Rome 1(CA said that). And i can't imagine Carthage being divided into few pieces. So my version is more possible ;)
  • Monkeylizard99Monkeylizard99 Senior Member Posts: 1,353Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    It says Rome will be divided into 3 families under the factions section
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Roman_Faction
    Sarog wrote: »
    Please don't say "madness" in a Sparta thread. Even over the internet I fear being drenched in spittle.
  • RumpullpusRumpullpus Senior Member Posts: 1,216Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    quality over quantity is what CA is planning when it comes to the factions.
    im fine with that IF CA makes new faction DLC reasonably priced (like around $5 depending on how many new units and buildings there are).
  • ArchaicWarriorArchaicWarrior Senior Member Posts: 1,217Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    It says Rome will be divided into 3 families under the factions section
    http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_Rome_II_-_Roman_Faction

That would be very sad as it means MACEDON won't have greeks as subfaction Archaean league - Athens - etc ., Rome won't have Etruscans, Samintes, Southern Greeks for Hannibal to negotiate with. It also means Levant wont be a faction, to revolt against a successor overlord !! .. ??

Come on CA, how about some strategic depth ...

*** The senate is now a basic Rev counter .. WOW! that's deep. ***

• KillaJulesKillaJules Member Posts: 54Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    That would be very sad as it means MACEDON won't have greeks as subfaction Archaean league - Athens - etc ., Rome won't have Etruscans, Samintes, Southern Greeks for Hannibal to negotiate with. It also means Levant wont be a faction, to revolt against a successor overlord !! .. ??

Those factions will be in the game, but they won't be playable. The Etruscans have already been confirmed to be included.

Of the 50 or so factions in the game, 8 will be playable and all of these will be playable at the start. This has been explained many times.
  • andferpaandferpa Senior Member Posts: 2,520Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Apparently, 2 out of the 8 factions will be divided into 3 segments, no big deal for me as long as tehre is depth to go along with the small number, and a real variety and change in characteristics between the sub branches.

Why would you want Etruscans and Southern Greeks under the control of Rome, why not have them be their own faction, maybe under a protectorate-like system.

MODEDIT: Double post merged

For shame Andferpa, you know better than to double post!! *Shakes fist!*
    Andokides
    All war is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu
    A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    Alexander the Great
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
    William Shakespeare.
  • Themistocles472Themistocles472 Member Posts: 34Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Unplayable factions is beyond stupid.

It was stupid in Rome I, and it's stupid now.
  • ArchaicWarriorArchaicWarrior Senior Member Posts: 1,217Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    andferpa wrote: »
    Why would you want Etruscans and Southern Greeks under the control of Rome, why not have them be their own faction, maybe under a protectorate-like system.

GREAT! but i doubt CA will have "southern Italic Greeks" as a faction, unless it's a sub-faction of Phyrus.

Would be great if Rome started only in central italy, and must conquer north - Etruscan (aristocratic army), then sourth east - Samnites (Hill tribes), then Southern italy - Southern Greeks (democratic armies) but i'm getting the impression this will not be how it works. Just look at the map, Rome already controls southern italy ready to fight north ???????????????????????????????????????

I really hope the protectorate system is expanded so conquered nations becoming either a (1) Citizen, (2) protectorate, (3) subjugated etc and doesn't become the same culture as the conqueror immediately.

How 3 families will work with each faction is confusing, does the 8 major factions only get 3 families while other smaller states don't ????? and how does ruling families work with controlled smaller states ????

AW
    *** The senate is now a basic Rev counter .. WOW! that's deep. ***

• King timuridKing timurid Junior Member Posts: 26Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    GREAT! but i doubt CA will have "southern Italic Greeks" as a faction, unless it's a sub-faction of Phyrus.

Would be great if Rome started only in central italy, and must conquer north - Etruscan (aristocratic army), then sourth east - Samnites (Hill tribes), then Southern italy - Southern Greeks (democratic armies) but i'm getting the impression this will not be how it works. Just look at the map, Rome already controls southern italy ready to fight north ???????????????????????????????????????

CA has stated that the game begins after the Pyrrhic war which would mean that the Greeks in the south would have been conquered by Rome, with the Etruscans still at large to the north
  • S.K.S.K. Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    I don't really like the idea of unplayable factions. It bothers me. I can spend a good chunk of hours on a single faction's campaign but if I finish it I feel a bit scared when I look at the diminishing list of factions that can provide me with a new strategic experience. I'd like to be able to have the option to play as any faction... it just comforts me in a way... even if I never do play as certain factions.
  • DecayWolfDecayWolf Member Posts: 78Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    I think some factions will have 3 sub families, outhers factions will have 2 famlies, 4 or none... That's should make the game more balanced versatile and fun, than always 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 :P
  • andaanda Senior Member Posts: 206Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    I don't really like the idea of unplayable factions. It bothers me. I can spend a good chunk of hours on a single faction's campaign but if I finish it I feel a bit scared when I look at the diminishing list of factions that can provide me with a new strategic experience. I'd like to be able to have the option to play as any faction... it just comforts me in a way... even if I never do play as certain factions.

Fair enough, but if all these factions are basically generic within their cultural group in everything but name, I much rather prefer 8 individually designed, unique playable factions to explore and play around with. On top of that, I bet we'll see a lot more factions DLC for Rome II than for any previous game with new unique units, agents, traits, missions etc. To me, this is far more interesting than unlocking an otherwise unplayable, and most likely generic (boring) faction.

As for the partition of factions into "families" (or maybe in some cases political cliques):
    I don't think thats it's anything more than giving the player the ability to chose certain "perks" to accomodate your style of play. E.g. One family will bost technology and constructions costs, one will increase profit from trade, and one will give a bonus to unit morale and decrease recruitment cost. That's just my gues.
  • hancook125hancook125 Junior Member Posts: 23Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    rome total war had only 8 playable factions but we unlocked the rest :rolleyes:
  • Napoleonic Total War IIINapoleonic Total War III Banned Posts: 336Banned Users
    edited December 2012
    8? Shogun had around 10 or 9 at least.
    edited December 2012
    Yes but the only difference between them is starting position and one unit with better stats.....
  • Anti_BodiesAnti_Bodies Senior Member Posts: 260Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    why the hell would their be unplayable factions. I get not scripting every faction. But each should be select-able to muddle around with. I wouldn't mind some development time going towards this as it greatly enhances the replayability. LORD KNOWS WE CANT MOD ANYMORE. Not thoroughly anyway.
    hancook125 wrote: »
    rome total war had only 8 playable factions but we unlocked the rest :rolleyes:

yes we did ;)
  • wilo1066wilo1066 Senior Member Posts: 2,174Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Reading all previous post about this i think theres 8 factions split into 3 sub factions such as 3 roman 3 greek 3 briton etc that means there will be 24 factions in total and all playable from the start
    wilo1066
    edited December 2012
    No Rome is not going to look like in the first part. CA many times said that they won't be divided into 3 self sufficient factions.
  • dark as silverdark as silver Senior Member Posts: 1,645Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    this is ridiculous, they can always add more and each faction so far has been broken down into different subfactions
  • Napoleonic Total War IIINapoleonic Total War III Banned Posts: 336Banned Users
    edited December 2012
    yourself wrote: »
    No Rome is not going to look like in the first part. CA many times said that they won't be divided into 3 self sufficient factions.

They mentioned that the player would choose from three roman families?

Furthermore, the player will choose to conduct the affairs of Rome as the head of one of three great Roman houses: The Julia, The Cornelia, and the Junia, each of which brings further economic, military and cultural benefits.
  • S.K.S.K. Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    anda wrote: »
    Fair enough, but if all these factions are basically generic within their cultural group in everything but name, I much rather prefer 8 individually designed, unique playable factions to explore and play around with. On top of that, I bet we'll see a lot more factions DLC for Rome II than for any previous game with new unique units, agents, traits, missions etc. To me, this is far more interesting than unlocking an otherwise unplayable, and most likely generic (boring) faction.

Yes of course there would be a bit of overlap but then again starting positions, starting resources and even trivial things like a faction colour might attract me more to a certain faction rather than another. For example, the Numidians in RTW had Carthaginian culture and the exact same unit roster. However, their geography and starting situation was different. For one, their primary enemy was Carthage, they didn't have to deal with Iberians or the Greeks and Romans in Sicily. They also didn't have as good an economy with their less developed cities. So the initial experience and difficulty would vary, but the late-game experience probably wouldn't. That's my rationale.
  • NuccioNuccio Senior Member Posts: 441Registered Users
    edited December 2012

You basiclly just outlined my idea of what the tutorial will be! : )
    anda wrote: »
    As for the partition of factions into "families" (or maybe in some cases political cliques):
    I don't think thats it's anything more than giving the player the ability to chose certain "perks" to accomodate your style of play. E.g. One family will bost technology and constructions costs, one will increase profit from trade, and one will give a bonus to unit morale and decrease recruitment cost. That's just my gues.

But what if its not that simple? I mean , maybe I am getting my hopes up, but what if these other two families you don't choose interact with your Family and vie for power over your faction? What Total War needs more than anything is the similation of internal struggle. I hope these families are more than unique but simple buffs, family crests, and the one unique unit.
    Nuccio Afrikanus

Total War Demigod

http://www.youtube.com/user/MegaCloudatlas/videos
  • NaishoNaisho Senior Member Posts: 3,335Registered Users
    edited December 2012
    Nuccio I think is right, all the information I have read seems to point to internal strife and moving away from the dictatorial nature of factions of older TW titles.

The ramifications is huge as it could mean that you are forced into a war you dont want to fight because the other 2 families force the issue. Or maybe they force a peace agreement right before you finish off the enemy for good. It makes wars less of a curb stomp of factions and more of a dance.

The number of things they can do with this really excites me.
    1---/\__/\
    1=(O-"-O)=/\
    1--- / | | \--/ -|
    1---| \-/ \-_ /
    1--( Neko )

Naisho the Neko

"You have raised assorted issues under what might be termed a “I-don’t-like-it because-I-say-it’s-not-historical” banner. This isn't quite the same as "justified", I'm sorry to say." -MikeB