Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Cannibalism

Comments

• darren jkdarren jk Senior Member Praying in the temple of shireknights cultPosts: 2,059Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    I would eat human with barbecue sauce cianti and fiver beans yum
    VENI VIDI VICI :D
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,876Registered Users, Moderators
    edited January 2011
    bennywhise wrote: »
    I would try to get off the ridge
    it is proven that, with sufficient watersupplies, one can survive without food for days, even weeks

IMO you're dodging the question there. Ok, let's say that you know that the ridge is somewhere in the middle of the Himalayas and you know that the closest source of food can be hudreds of kilometers away. You might get there before you are too weak, but you very well might not... And you happen to have this excellent camping stove with you...
  • bennywhisebennywhise Senior Member Posts: 236Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    still, I'll try to get out of there
    I'd rather die trying to save myself in another way than to eat another human being
    and in every environment there is a way to keep yourself alive without eating humans
    "Sir, the enemy is coming from everywhere. You will be surrounded."
    "We are airborne, we're supposed to be."

Oderint dum metuant
  • darren jkdarren jk Senior Member Praying in the temple of shireknights cultPosts: 2,059Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Yes but if you dont have basic survival skills you may have to eat a stranger?I mean it tastes exactly like chicken.
  • bennywhisebennywhise Senior Member Posts: 236Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    well, there might be the difference between us
    I am already a bit trained in survival
    and in 1 week, I'm going to have another session of survival in winter time
    looking forward to it
    "Sir, the enemy is coming from everywhere. You will be surrounded."
    "We are airborne, we're supposed to be."

Oderint dum metuant
  • SasuSasu Moderator FinlandPosts: 8,876Registered Users, Moderators
    edited January 2011
    I've had a little survival training too and I know that you can survive by eating the strangest things you can find from nature, ... even the somewhat barren nature we have here in winter time. But you can't survive if there isn't anything to survive on. And that is, what I gathered, the OP's conundrum.

Also I agree with what Aeraaa is saying, that when people are hungry and with no prospect of survival all rules and most moral will be thrown out of the window.
    edited January 2011
    You can snare rabbits and eat worms and drink nettle or pine tea but after a while a nice leg of human will be needed.Remember the movie where a plane crashed in snow and the survivors ate the dead and dying.Would you eat a person who was already dead if you did not know them?
  • Millst0neMillst0ne Senior Member Posts: 148Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    darren jk wrote: »
    Yes but if you dont have basic survival skills you may have to eat a stranger?I mean it tastes exactly like chicken.

GOOD lORD :o How do u know what it tastes like!
    Bunny for shogun:cool:
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    edited January 2011
    Nooo comment (runs away).....
  • CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    What a horrible question! Gah! I don't even want to think about it! :(!

But i guess i would have no choice, so long as the person was dead already without me needing to kill him/her for food. You'd also run the risk of getting a lot of diseases, especially if it's uncooked. Then there is all the blood involved..that would be so hard for me because i HATE blood, but it would be really bloody to skin, and gut the person..

Then again, if such a situation arose, the chances of anyone finding me before he became inedible would be very slim..so i would be making me end even more miserable..
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • ColfaxColfax Senior Member Posts: 969Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    One of the best survival stories ever is called Rescue Dawn. It was about a US Navy Pilot who was German born. His name was Dieter Dengler. In 1965, he was shot down over Laos. During his S and R training he was the only one in his class to escape detection and to gain weight. He had no fear of eating stuff off of the ground. Plants, bugs, rain water in puddles. So survival can be done without eating people.
    Vinum bonum sapere. Nunc est bibendum. Italia patria populi Romani et aliorum populorum est.
    edited January 2011
    Oh my..Colfax you're going to make me sick with you're talk of eating bugs :(
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • AeraaaAeraaa Senior Member Posts: 178Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Colfax wrote: »
    One of the best survival stories ever is called Rescue Dawn. It was about a US Navy Pilot who was German born. His name was Dieter Dengler. In 1965, he was shot down over Laos. During his S and R training he was the only one in his class to escape detection and to gain weight. He had no fear of eating stuff off of the ground. Plants, bugs, rain water in puddles. So survival can be done without eating people.

Yes but what happens when you are in an environment where there's absolutely no other form of food available. I did bring an example that happened IRL and probably there are more.
    edited January 2011
    If you cut up human finger meat and cover it withy kfc seasoning and fry it that would be FINGER licking good lol
  • ToxicseagullToxicseagull Senior Member Posts: 944Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    darren jk wrote: »
    If you cut up human finger meat and cover it withy kfc seasoning and fry it that would be FINGER licking good lol
    you dont need to go that far, i hear human tastes a bit like bacon and smells exactly like it when cooked.

i think the uraguay rugby team one is the most classic example of mass cannibalism.

personally, never say never :P
  • Seleukos of OlympiaSeleukos of Olympia Senior Member Posts: 770Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    History teaches us that that the greatest moral force is necessity. A person trapped with no source of water for days will drink their own urine (people trapped under debris in earthquakes have done it) and a person stuck for weeks in a place with no source of food except another dead human will find that a tasty prospect. It's only logical and life wants to keep on living. The dead will not miss their meat.

If a person has to be killed to be consumed by the others, then the maritime tradition calls for drawing straws, but I don't know if that's ever happened in real life.
  • williamcarter1993williamcarter1993 Senior Member Posts: 636Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    first of all, eating human flesh isn't good for you

How you know? Have you eaten it? What does it taste like?

For all you other folks, If i am out in the bushes and lost in the middle of nowhere I shall need meat. Bugs, leaves, bark and all that other stuff just ain't going to get it. Survival skills or not, when I am starving, meatless undiscovered, and the chips are down, fellow lost people, LOOK OUT

O and after reading Darren jk comments I have come to the conclusion that i would like to be lost in the woods with him...we can get everyone else. O and nice reference to the KFC chicken
    Yea verily, as I gallop through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no human, for I am the hungriest carnivore in all the land
    edited January 2011
    you dont need to go that far, i hear human tastes a bit like bacon and smells exactly like it when cooked.

i loooooooooooooooove bacon
    Yea verily, as I gallop through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no human, for I am the hungriest carnivore in all the land
  • GustavGustav Senior Member Posts: 697Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    If a person has to be killed to be consumed by the others, then the maritime tradition calls for drawing straws, but I don't know if that's ever happened in real life.

Not sure who or when (but I'm sure it was in the past 200 years) it was but they're was some men that were in a lifeboat who killed and ate the boy that was with them, they were convicted of murder because they didn't draw straws.

Also if you want to talk famous cannibals you can't forget the Donner Party.
    "Oh, every life is precious, everyone is equally valuable. And maybe that's true, in Pixieland." - James Patterson

"Science taste like vomit" - Kari Byron
  • DameirDameir Senior Member Posts: 970Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Yes.. I think I heard that story about the boy too.

If I remember it right, there were 2 cabin boys and they decided to eat one and save the other one for later.
    "For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."- Carl Sagan
    edited January 2011
    Well when i used to go to church when i was a kid the priest used to say BODY OF CHRIST then we would be made eat it?Maybe therefore im desensitized to cannabilism.
    edited January 2011
    i loooooooooooooooove bacon
    They dont hunt alligator where you are do they?If so go over top my thread swamp people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiWQhX-1ZV4 You could put human in that stew and no one would ever know??
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,918Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    We're really starting to see the inner darkness of a few forum members. :p
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
    edited January 2011
    They dont hunt alligator where you are do they?
    Nah they don't hunt gators here. We got snakes. Snake and human stew....yummmmmmm! who wants to join in, I got cornbread and biscuits!
    edited January 2011
    Well when i used to go to church when i was a kid the priest used to say BODY OF CHRIST then we would be made eat it

Do you mean your PRIEST told you to eat up Jesus?! What the heck?
  • Seleukos of OlympiaSeleukos of Olympia Senior Member Posts: 770Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    It's the eucharist, which I've always considered to be symbolical but it seems some take it more seriously. SMBC has had a couple of fun strips about it; like this one.
  • evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    It boils down to the primordial self kicking in. See the meat? Eat the meat. Some here can't see it. They are too used to looking across the street and seeing a grocery store.

Let me tell you, if you are in a desperate situation, there will come a point where you will "Make or break."

Either:

1. You do what you have to do.

Or:

2. You curl up into a ball and die.

Don't think for a second, that in a desperate situation, you wouldn't choose option #1. You would be a completely different person without the extra energy around your waist.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • vaptinvaptin Senior Member Posts: 752Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Can't people eat their own poo? (can't spell the proper word, and don't want to google it)
    edited January 2011
    Feces is a lot worse than eating that succulent human flesh
    edited January 2011
    Do you mean your PRIEST told you to eat up Jesus?! What the heck?

uh...it's called taking communion...no one is forced to do it, but it's symbolic to 'remember' the last supper and the words Jesus spoke, as well as the crucifixion. The bread is supposed to represent the body, while the g**** juice (or wine in some Churches) represent the blood.

I think it comes from a mistranslation of the word "consume" in English, which pretty much means to ingest or eat. Yet the original text had a much closer meaning to 'absorb' or to become one with. Most Churches stoped communion, or only practice it on Easter, but many denomination Churches such as Catholics take it far more often- some every service.

Did someone seriously suggest Feces as a better alternative? This whole topic is making me queasy..
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
This discussion has been closed.