Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

We all know the expansion is going to be Korea.

BunrakuBunraku Senior MemberEdinburgh, JocklandRegistered Users Posts: 469
edited January 2011 in Total War: SHOGUN 2
Hee Hee.

I know the original games now even out yet. But it be silly to think the expansion is not gonna be Korea. It's really the only place the Japanese ever invaded in big numbers apart from Okinawa during samurai times.

You then have the Korean Turtle boats under Admiral Yi which should make for interesting naval battles. Also the chinese can come to Koreas assitance like they did then.

So to me logically it's the only way they can expand the game beyond the boundaries of Japan,
Post edited by Bunraku on
«1

Comments

  • Geo UKGeo UK Senior Member TokyoRegistered Users Posts: 161
    edited January 2011
    That would be very cool!!
    However, i seem to remember reading in a preview somewhere that TWS2, being published by SEGA (a Japanese company of course), would probably not receive an expansion including Korea or China due to the tension between the asian nations. They do not want to insight any unnecessary tension. My memory is a bit hazy, but it was something along those lines, if i'm not mistaken.
  • SugamSugam Senior Member US, MNRegistered Users Posts: 400
    edited January 2011
    well, nothing wrong with hoping something like that. I don't know if they would expand and add more maps though to the grand campaign, it would probably be a scenario by itself if anything like this where to happen. They have done that in the past games every time.

    That and there was that ONE battle Yi Sun-sin had that put him in the books. it be hard to make a games expansion on just that one battle.

    wait a minute.....wasn't there already a thread on this?
  • SugamSugam Senior Member US, MNRegistered Users Posts: 400
    edited January 2011
    Geo UK wrote: »
    insight any unnecessary tension.

    Ya that's true too. They freak out on a lot of stuff in games. I feel bad for some of the gamers in China because they have to obtain the games they want to play outside of their nation. With that in mind, I don't see it would happen sadly.
  • BunrakuBunraku Senior Member Edinburgh, JocklandRegistered Users Posts: 469
    edited January 2011
    I can understand Korea and China's wounds. The invasions and occupation of their countries was brutal in the extreme. The **** of Nanking springs to mind. And let's not forget the ear mounds!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki?search=ear+mound
  • NaoyudaiNaoyudai Senior Member KyotoRegistered Users Posts: 132
    edited January 2011
    That would be very cool!!
    However, i seem to remember reading in a preview somewhere that TWS2, being published by SEGA (a Japanese company of course), would probably not receive an expansion including Korea or China due to the tension between the asian nations

    The imjin war happened 400 years ago. In Europe and America we constantly play WW2 games even though the war took place less than 70 years ago. Or how about the war games that are set in modern day Iraq or Afghanistan?
  • Sanada YukimuraSanada Yukimura Senior Member Toronto, CanadaRegistered Users Posts: 291
    edited January 2011
    i've said it before and ill say it again

    the most likely expansion would be a "TW: Tokugawa" focusing on the Sekigahara campaign of 1598-1603

    multiple reasons why
    1) as someone mentioned, there is the slight tension between the nations that may or may not cause a bit of trouble
    2) the Tokugawa campaign would mimic the Napoleon campaign (2 major sides are fighting over about 75%% of the original map, would focus on the height of the technological improvements of the time period, would be a continuous total war, lots of oppurtunities to do a "what if scenario" with the Toyotomi and the allies of Toyotomi and Tokugawa.. etc)
    3) Shogun2 is all about Japan, all of the artwork, units, and focus are on JAPAN .. to include another nation into the game (even in an expansion) would throw off this delicate balance
    4) the invasions against korea all took place IN KOREA, japanese lands would no longer be in the game
    5) the initial game Shogun2 is ALL ABOUT becoming shogun... the korea wars have nothing to do with this in fact they take place after Toyotomi conquered all of Japan (even though he wasn't declared shogun) .. the expansion should focus on something that promotes the idea of "becoming shogun" just like how in ETW the goal was to become the greatest worldwide empire, and in NTW napoleon was trying to create an ultimate empire that would have ruled to a great extent .. you see the ideas are similar


    the most likely expansion is my proposed TW: Tokugawa
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Senior Member KentuckyRegistered Users Posts: 272
    edited January 2011
    I agree that the Imjin War seems like a natural expansion and would be very fun but it sounds like SEGA is afraid of the controversy that might arise. I don't understand it but apparently there is still alot of bad blood over WWII and any game about Japanese aggression is a sore point. I can understand why WWII is off limits but a war that was centuries earlier? I think it is silly but my opinion means nothing to SEGA.
  • epic_159750290354zas2GHfepic_159750290354zas2GHf Senior Member Netherlands, Friesland, LeeuwardenRegistered Users Posts: 7,128
    edited January 2011
    Hmm..Maybe they should allow you to play as China and Korea too in the expansion, so the tension between the countries won't get worse.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • LeckanLeckan Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 798
    edited January 2011
    I suppose for it to be a balanced war we will first have to partially unite Japan and then attack. It would be boring to just be 2 countries in a campaign, no? Us being Japan and them Korea that is. Would be cool to be able to play as Korea though.

    If it was Japan vs Korea then Japan would overpower Korea it feels like, and the game would get boring. But if you were just a small state in Japan versus Korea then that would be too hard. Perhaps the emperor calls for a err "crusade" against Korea or what to call it, and then you and your then allies attack Korea. Well, you can choose to stay back and try to take Japanese land instead of seeking glory and riches in Korea.

    Otherwise I was thinking that perhaps the mongols would attack, but then again that was in STW 1...

    What more could there be? Fighting against the europeans would be too small of a fight.

    @Sol Invictus - yea there is bad blood between South Korea and Japan, who see themselves these days as economical enemies, because they can't fight each other. Very recently I think they got on better terms with each other though thanks to a visit by some ministers or something like that. But indeed it could go bad for SEGA if Japanese people started to buy this game only to be able to kill koreans, wouldn't surprise me if an article would come out of it then.
    In a thread about the 21st of may "rapture"
    "Good job it didn't happen really because I'm still watching the last season of Married with Children and I'd hate to not know what happens in the last episode." - Shireknight
  • epic_159750290354zas2GHfepic_159750290354zas2GHf Senior Member Netherlands, Friesland, LeeuwardenRegistered Users Posts: 7,128
    edited January 2011
    3) Shogun2 is all about Japan, all of the artwork, units, and focus are on JAPAN .. to include another nation into the game (even in an expansion) would throw off this delicate balance
    4) the invasions against korea all took place IN KOREA, japanese lands would no longer be in the game

    Maybe your right but these 2 points ain't true. When the title says: Shogun doesn't mean "You becoming shogun" and nothing else.
    Medieval 2 total war doesn't mean medieval only, since medieval 2 reaches the next era: The Renaissance. ( Which has nothing to do with the Medieval ages.)

    Also, the Kingdoms Expansion campaign from medieval 2, The America's, didn't took place in Europe either.

    At the end of Shogun 2, you are already the shogun. That means, from your point of view, there can't even be a expansion. That wouldn't make any sence.

    Maybe the expansion won't even be called: Shogun. There was supposedly to be some kind of Empire Expansion.
    Yet it was only focussing on Napoleon, Europe and the coalition. And not on America or India.
    Grudge's Mods
    Total War: Karling - Coming soon...-ish
    Grudge's Total War: Attila - Sassanid UI skin here on the Steam Workshop
  • Sol InvictusSol Invictus Senior Member KentuckyRegistered Users Posts: 272
    edited January 2011
    If they did make a Imjin War expansion I assume that Korea would be playable. Also the Chinese Ming Dynasty would be an ally of Korea so it wouldn't be a walkover for Japan. I would think that Koreans would welcome such a game since they won the war with Chinese help and their navy gained much prestige and completely dominated the hapless Japanese navy. I would suggest that the Asian nation deal with their history instead of ignoring it.
  • totalwarzonetotalwarzone Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 516
    edited January 2011
    Hachiman wrote: »
    Hee Hee.

    I know the original games now even out yet. But it be silly to think the expansion is not gonna be Korea. It's really the only place the Japanese ever invaded in big numbers apart from Okinawa during samurai times.

    In Titel you speak for all of us( That´s a nogo in my eyes) and in your first sentence you only say it would be a wonder when the expansion goes not be to Korea.
    So i´ll say to you (all): maybe Shogun 2 didnt have an Addon in the Future? Maybe only DLC Campaign like Empire? Empire had no Addon and The *****ular Campaign for Napoleon was only a DLC too, so why not?

    Edit: Lol, *** because Spanish Campaign?
  • CloverClover Senior Member Ohio, United StatesRegistered Users Posts: 4,964
    edited January 2011
    That was be very cool, i'd love to see the Sino-Korean,Japanese war as an expansion pack. Or possibly another fantasy campaign such as a Mongolian invasion.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • totalwarzonetotalwarzone Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 516
    edited January 2011
    I Forgot something in my first post. Shogun 2 plays in the Periode where Japan began to isolate her country. I know the complete isolation is ending at the end years of 1600 century ( espacially at the year 1629 ) but it begans earlier. I also find it a pity that we cannot invade Korea or play with them, but its where be not historically if we can do this.

    All the Features of the Game focusses on all the Japan things: Art of war, Engine, the way of Japanese life and so on. Maybe CA can made a Shogun TW with Korea and China and more Europeans and all these toys, but than you must call these Game not Shogun TW (or Shogun 2) , because it covers many but not only the Japanese Culture. And i think Ca wanted this.

    Edit: Can forgot this, i didnt know anithing about the Korea Invasion 1592
  • fainsleepfainsleep Senior Member TennesseeRegistered Users Posts: 114
    edited January 2011
    It would be truly ironic if a war started because of a Total War game.
  • Geo UKGeo UK Senior Member TokyoRegistered Users Posts: 161
    edited January 2011
    fainsleep wrote: »
    It would be truly ironic if a war started because of a Total War game.

    Hahah! Brilliant!
  • IquabakanerIquabakaner Senior Member Hong KongRegistered Users Posts: 149
    edited January 2011
    Naoyudai wrote: »
    The imjin war happened 400 years ago. In Europe and America we constantly play WW2 games even though the war took place less than 70 years ago. Or how about the war games that are set in modern day Iraq or Afghanistan?
    Note that some Chinese still hate Japan because of WW2
  • LeckanLeckan Senior Member SwedenRegistered Users Posts: 798
    edited January 2011
    Everyone should read up on the naval battles here;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea#Naval_battles_of_Admiral_Yi

    I don't think I have ever read about a better admiral than the Korean Admiral Yi Sun-sin.
    In a thread about the 21st of may "rapture"
    "Good job it didn't happen really because I'm still watching the last season of Married with Children and I'd hate to not know what happens in the last episode." - Shireknight
  • totalwarzonetotalwarzone Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 516
    edited January 2011
    Leckan wrote: »
    Everyone should read up on the naval battles here;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea#Naval_battles_of_Admiral_Yi

    I don't think I have ever read about a better admiral than the Korean Admiral Yi Sun-sin.

    Hui, thats new for me. Than forgot my second post :)
  • BunrakuBunraku Senior Member Edinburgh, JocklandRegistered Users Posts: 469
    edited January 2011
    I Forgot something in my first post. Shogun 2 plays in the Periode where Japan began to isolate her country. I know the complete isolation is ending at the end years of 1600 century ( espacially at the year 1629 ) but it begans earlier. I also find it a pity that we cannot invade Korea or play with them, but its where be not historically if we can do this.

    All the Features of the Game focusses on all the Japan things: Art of war, Engine, the way of Japanese life and so on. Maybe CA can made a Shogun TW with Korea and China and more Europeans and all these toys, but than you must call these Game not Shogun TW (or Shogun 2) , because it covers many but not only the Japanese Culture. And i think Ca wanted this.

    Edit: Can forgot this, i didnt know anithing about the Korea Invasion 1592

    Well the Japanese invaded in 1597-1598, not just 1592. And to Me Korea was the logical choice as it was the only country that the Japanese of the Sengoku period invaded apart from Okinawa which was a much smaller operation.
  • SilvaSilva Senior Member Aboard the SilvanaRegistered Users Posts: 674
    edited January 2011
    I think the next expansion will either be like the Napoleon expansion, focusing on a legendary figure of history and following him, or lined against him in a battle with some background narrative setting the place for the game. There are many legendary leaders during this time period. The expansion could also take place a little past the Sengoku Period, because there were some notable wars that happened after unification of Japan.

    Or, it may follow the Medieval 2 Kingdoms Expansion, breaking up into many smaller campaigns that focused on specific regions where unique conflicts happened. They would not have a place in Shogun 2 proper because the smaller conflicts would mess up the pace where all of Japan is the setting. This would let the developers use the settings of smaller conflicts that they feel deserve an appearance but could not be included in Shogun 2. I think this is a good choice, because if they can deliver a good narrative with lots of freedom and choice because of multiple campaigns.

    EDIT:

    I can't be sure but I do not think the expansion will include Korea. They would need to add many things, most notably many new units, and twice that much if they include Chinese forces. The developers seem to be stressing that they have lightened the game of quantity because they want to be able to work with a small focus so they can get everything the way they want it. Maybe after they finish Shogun 2, they will feel confident in adding a major number of things, but right now, that would seem to go against their current mind set for development.
  • IAmNapoleonIAmNapoleon Senior Member AustraliaRegistered Users Posts: 306
    edited January 2011
    I reckon there can be a expansion featuring korea and china as long as there is no 'disrespect' to the nations, so keep out stuff like the terminate population option or enslave option and stuff like that.

    A korean/china DLC would be really fun and i would certainly pay for it.

    But i get every dlc that comes out, i got all of them for empire and napoleon :):)
    System: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE - AMD Radeon 5770 1GB - 4GB DDR2 HyperX - 550W PSU - 18.5" Monitor
  • MizuBushidoMizuBushido Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 28
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if this has come up for an expansion idea, but it would be a turn in another direction and go along with TW theme of making history your own. Having an expantion set after the Sengoku Jidai, during the Tokugawa shogunate and you use your multiplayer clan/character to over throw the Tokugawa. I think it would be cool and allows for some creativity.
  • lord toranagalord toranaga Member Registered Users Posts: 81
    edited January 2011
    i would love to see a china/korea/mongol DLC, but personally i prefer the Tokugawa one, it would be interesting if they can make it like NTW in a sort of way that napoleon campaign and the campaigns of the coallition were presented. from Tokugawa early years to becoming a shogun and then strengthening his clan. or playing as opposite clans throughout his time frame... but let me be honest this can be done in the regular campaign. so the Tokugawa expansion will not happen.

    the most logical answer to me would be korea/mongols. in shogun TW the expansion was mongol invasion. CA will most likely make it mongols cuz who are they going to **** off??? the mongols lol they cant start a war with anybody right now nobody fights on horseback any more these days! so since tension has risen in these past months between china and japan over japan being on south koreas side i say no china in this DLC (if it does come out)
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/TheHondaClan The Honda Clan. Samurai among Samurai!
    [PORTABLE-ID]lordtoranaga[/PORTABLE-ID]
  • andferpaandferpa Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,520
    edited January 2011
    i've said it before and ill say it again

    the most likely expansion would be a "TW: Tokugawa" focusing on the Sekigahara campaign of 1598-1603

    multiple reasons why
    1) as someone mentioned, there is the slight tension between the nations that may or may not cause a bit of trouble
    2) the Tokugawa campaign would mimic the Napoleon campaign (2 major sides are fighting over about 75%% of the original map, would focus on the height of the technological improvements of the time period, would be a continuous total war, lots of oppurtunities to do a "what if scenario" with the Toyotomi and the allies of Toyotomi and Tokugawa.. etc)
    3) Shogun2 is all about Japan, all of the artwork, units, and focus are on JAPAN .. to include another nation into the game (even in an expansion) would throw off this delicate balance
    4) the invasions against korea all took place IN KOREA, japanese lands would no longer be in the game
    5) the initial game Shogun2 is ALL ABOUT becoming shogun... the korea wars have nothing to do with this in fact they take place after Toyotomi conquered all of Japan (even though he wasn't declared shogun) .. the expansion should focus on something that promotes the idea of "becoming shogun" just like how in ETW the goal was to become the greatest worldwide empire, and in NTW napoleon was trying to create an ultimate empire that would have ruled to a great extent .. you see the ideas are similar


    the most likely expansion is my proposed TW: Tokugawa

    But doesn't the game, according to the latest interview, go to 1607? he said 67 years from 1540.
    Andokides
    All war is based on deception.
    Sun Tzu
    If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
    Sun Tzu
    A leader is a dealer in hope.
    Napoleon Bonaparte
    Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.
    Alexander the Great
    All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players.
    William Shakespeare.
  • james333james333 Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 13
    edited January 2011
    Sugam wrote: »
    That and there was that ONE battle Yi Sun-sin had that put him in the books. it be hard to make a games expansion on just that one battle.QUOTE]

    I really hope you are kidding about Yi only winning one major battle, off the top of my head i can name the battles of Puson, Myongyang (he defeated the japanese force of 133 ships with only 13 ships), Noryang, and Hansando.
  • MizuBushidoMizuBushido Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 28
    edited January 2011
    Another idea for an expansion would be to set it at the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate and begining of the Meiji restoration.Where you take part in the Boshin wars. This opens up a whole new set of challenges,like more modern weapons and steam ships while keeping the traditional samurai feel. You can play as Samurai loyalists or as the Imperial forces, which in sence bring a mixture of NTW and STW2 together. STW2 allows you to play in the golden age of the samurai and fighting in the Boshin Wars allows you to experience the end of the samurai era. As mentioned before this too would also allow TW to stay away from any sensitive issues like the Korean campaign.Just throwing some ideas out there, a Boshin war expansion does sound interesting.
  • KwangaettoKwangaetto Member Registered Users Posts: 57
    edited January 2011
    Sugam wrote: »
    well, nothing wrong with hoping something like that. I don't know if they would expand and add more maps though to the grand campaign, it would probably be a scenario by itself if anything like this where to happen. They have done that in the past games every time.

    That and there was that ONE battle Yi Sun-sin had that put him in the books. it be hard to make a games expansion on just that one battle.

    wait a minute.....wasn't there already a thread on this?

    There was another thread. And here I am to educate you again. There was no ONE battle. In fact, it was a series of 23 major sea battles. Yi won all of them. 23-0. There was a sea battle where the Chosun navy lost because Yi was unfairly put in prison by the king. So Yi was absent during that battle. When he was released he took over the navy again and proceeded to win more battles. Why can't you just look it up in wikipedia?

    Let me help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin
  • totalwarzonetotalwarzone Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 516
    edited January 2011
    But dont forget, the winner writes the history :)
  • Elyrioth#1615Elyrioth#1615 Senior Member IrelandRegistered Users Posts: 696
    edited January 2011
    Well a CA member of staff apparently said on a German forum that no they will not be doing Korea. Mongol invasion is more likely.
    Big Thread on it here. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=417561

    We know nothing, there is no eveidence to state that it will be Korea. They could do the mongol invasion like the original STW and not even need a new map.
    Na Géanna Fiáine [The Wild Geese]

    "What is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
Sign In or Register to comment.