Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dimwit Corner

AlJabberwockAlJabberwock ModeratorUSAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
edited July 2015 in Technology
In another online life I am a member of a family-oriented clan that has amongst its denizens a very bright and technically capable guy named Mike who began a thread called 'My McGyver Moment'.

He made a couple of very nice posts about indeed McGyver-like moments getting his stuff to do what he wanted... Another venerable subsequently posted that when he tried to think about McGyver moments, all of his 'moments' in retrospect were more like 'redneck' moments, and he was too embrrassed to put any of them up. On review, I was forced to the same conclusion, as no doubt were many others, and hence the premature death of what should have been a promising thread!

Now, like the Island of Lost Toys, there is a place for all of those 'other' moments and those that are just silly as well.

I will start, as I have something I want to get off my chest from just last night!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
Post edited by AlJabberwock on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    Getting the Jump on Taxes

So, last night I was tinkering about with moving some harddrive info from one machine to another so I could save half an hour of Tax data entry with an hour of hardware tinkering. Dimwitted enough in its own right, but upon taking (BloodyBlade remembered!) the two ATA/Ide drives out of a ten year old machine and putting them into Heretic (a fairly modern 3gb SATA dominated monster), I had to negotiate the very busy and labor-intensively routed cable bundles around the mobo edge.

Successfully getting at the ide interface finally accomplished, I closed everything back up, flipped the power back on, and fired the rig back up. Going though the start up as I have it set up saw me through the regular confirmations and the no fan warning, and then as WIndows SHOULD have fired up, it just sat there on the black screen, pre-windows-loading... And sat there.

Hunh! I said to myself. Shut down, verified the plugs, checked the boot order, other bios settings, reset. Fired it up. Same thing.
    Well dagnabbit, I am NOT taking that blankety-blank-blank ide plug outta there- that was TOO Much work for a 50-something! (LOL). Let me think about this... So I was just sitting there, literally just tabbing through the Bios out of habit when I saw "Bios will always try to identify ide drives first'... which is true.

And then I actually had a moment that would have qualified for Mikes thread if it wasnt for the stupidity that led to the situation in the first place. I had TWO ides on the same cable -which meant I HAD to have one 'jumpered' to be the 'master' OR Cable Select (which on a two drive cable would have selected it in the position it was as 'master' anyway). Sure enough, I had it set to master. After the suitably colorful verbal salute to self and hardware gods, I removed the offending jumper altogether (defaults the drive to 'slave' regardless of cable position), and slammed that pain back on. Presto! Just stoopid! ;)

If you have something similar or think you want to let us (LOL, after reading THIS?) see if we can help you, post away! PLease keep in mind the emphasis is on humor, and fun with plugs and wires and whatnot. We are not here to judge (and after reading the above, how could _I_ at least!). Thanks!

Al-I got a million of 'em-Jabberwock
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    Very cool thread!

Well, once I messed up my BIOS so bad that the computer wouldn't even make it through the initial startup. I would just get a black screen and nothing to work with. I fought with it for quite some time, only getting the same results. Then it hit me, just reset the BIOS... Wait a minute, which jumper does that? Where's my manual? Oh that's right, I threw it away. Who needs those things anyway? I had no idea what to do. Round and round I went, trying to figure out what to do. After quite a while it dawned on me: All I needed to do was pop the battery out of the motherboard. DUH! Did that, popped it back in and BLAMO! My machine fired right up, only in need of a BIOS update. Too bad it took so long for me to figure it out...

I really like what you've started here. Sharing our DUH! moments might just give someone an AHAH! moment right now, or in the future, if they ever encounter the same problems we did.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited January 2011
    LOL, that was a good one...

Thanks evo, on your last para. Well, it might get them to thinking- Uh, THESE guys can't help me, where is that auto-fix-it site with the snake-oil and the witch doctor? ;)

• ToxicseagullToxicseagull Senior Member Posts: 944Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    replacing a psu after a 6 hour journey and a few beers is not advisable.

tried to fit 2, 4 pin motherboard cpu cables into a graphics card thinking it was a pci-e 8 pin. and by god it wouldnt boot >:(

oh and booting with the monitor connected to the motherboard onboard chip despite a massive new graphics card just being installed and wondering why nothing was showing up on the screen.

theres a pretty famous one of a guy using scissors to cut a 7800GT PCI-e (at the time being a good $300) card to fit into a AGP slot...
    edited January 2011
    Okay you had me spewing my beer uncontrollably after the first sentence! (LMAO!)

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,597Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    More like some ham-fisted moments. I did drop my P4 3.0GHz Prescott chip onto the mobo while stripping and cleaning the HSF. The drop bent two of the pins that I gently bent back using a metal ruler. The chip continued to work but I am not sure if that drop helped to contribute to the occasional blue screens later on.

I once had a RAM stick fail on me, again on that ill-fated P4. I suspect that had to the 70 degrees CPU right beside it.
    The temperature was according to ASUS PC Probe (change one of the S to N and what do you get?) while under load. The high temperature was due to a combination of ambient temperatures and rapid dust accumulation.

For a combination of dropped CPU, high temperatures (not to mention lots of dust), I managed to squeeze more than 5 years out of that mobo, enduring blue screens for about 3 years. Every time I boot it up cold, there must be one blue screen followed by a reset before the system will continue to run without crashing.

If it wasn't due to my financial constraints of that time, the system would not have soldiered on until last year... (The 8 year old Logitech keyboard with more than 20 alphabets printing worn off and >3 keys cracked/hole punched by my nails was also retired).

Oh and there were few occasions where I forget to reconnect the heatsink's fan before powering up. Luckily, the sound emanating from the system without the CPU fan turning is different so the issue is very quickly verified.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
    edited January 2011
    "The drop bent two of the pins that I gently bent back using a metal ruler. The chip continued to work but I am not sure if that drop helped to contribute to the occasional blue screens later on..."

Jiminy Cricket!!! ;) Doh! LOL- another classic Maeda! Thanks!

The heatsink fan... Danged Judas! I have never forgotten to keep it plugged in, but imagine yourself as a dentist,,, Carefully peering inside the case whilst the machine is still running, careful lest you stab the patient with your screwdriver in some sensitive place... Checking clinically on the well being of various areas whose fans should be turning properly, busily (making sure there isn't _too_ much dust.. LOL!)... Then having satisfied yourself that all is well, you begin to withdraw, strategically letting fall your glasses INTO the high-speed heatsink fan magically wedging said ocular aids between the fins so they may ever so slowly, ever so inexolerably, then flop -not out- but inward, accross the fan breaking one blade. Well, at least there is something to do _now_! Some years later, on the current machine, I happened to forget this lesson with some wires that I allowed to tangle with the scythe fans on my external radiator. Like Frodo-the-nine-fingered, it remains active (a fact evo can directly attest to, having seen it first 'hand' lol) in my redneck-ed-ness!

edited January 2011
    The temperature was according to ASUS PC Probe (change one of the S to N and what do you get?) while under load.

LOL! I never thought of that! And it's a probe...
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,597Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Source: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/showpost.php?p=52845248&postcount=15

No, it wasn't me but someone else:
    There was once when I was **** tired and was wondering why won't the **** graphic card fit into the motherboard. Nothing fits and the casing was blocking the way. After some hammering, the graphic card finally fitted in although both chassis and gpu was slightly bent after all the hammering :o

But at the point in time, I suddenly realised the problem. I had been trying to insert an AGP graphic card into a PCIe slot :o

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited February 2011
    Buwhaa hah hah... mmm that probably goes with the guy who has his machine unplugged and cant get it working...

I HAVE used a hammer on my case once... I thnk evo can even lay claim to having seen the evidence (LOL!).

• maff87maff87 Senior Member Posts: 374Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    This one sticks in my mind for a very good reason to which I will get to shortly. It isn't quite as technical as some of the posts here, but pre-Shogun 1, I went and bought a new graphics card (one with a mind-blowing 32mb of memory-zomg!!!) I installed the card and all was hunky-dory.

The next week, we had to live at my Grandparents for a few weeks between house moves and I set up the computer with the now released Shogun Total war on my desk, waiting to be installed. In it goes and low and behold, I can't play the game with anything higher than low graphics for everything. I am utterly confused and dissapointed. I trundle along, enjoying what I can from the also mind blowing sprite battles until I have to stop playing. The frame rates are just too low.

So there sat my copy of STW for a few weeks until I sold it to a friend for mates rates, gutted. We moved a few days later into the new house and I dismantled the computer. My heart sank.

I had the monitor plugged into the wrong video slot. Instead of being plugged into my uber card, it was plugged into the integrated mobo GPU the whole time! Now I was a copy of the greatest game ever released down and also lost money due to the mates rates too. Not to mention the self directed anger!
    [PORTABLE-ID]maff87[/PORTABLE-ID]

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War
    edited February 2011
    One thing I don't quite get is why the mounting holes on the mobo never lineup properly with the corresponding mounts on the casing?? Quite often the I/O plate never fits in properly and even if it does, it tends to cause the mobo to misalign, and thus requiring some force to make it all fit in properly in order to insert and tighten the mounting screws.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited February 2011
    @Maff,
    Facepalm... Nothing else can be said... Don't suppose you got the game again later? ;)

@Maeda
    This may have to do with one of three things:
    1)The cases you are using may not be of the best grade
    2)The motherboards in question are not exactly to standard (see a reason similar to 1)
    3)User is drunk, trying to line mobo with screw holes in toaster... ;)

IN all seriousness, I usually find I have to change the I/O plate that is usually provided with the case with the one provided by the mobo maker. If you don't do that, you are bound to have all sorts of problems (lol). But also cheaper, particularly aluminum-based off-brands have terrible QA with relation to alignment of anything. I always hate it when someone tells me to just get the cheapest case... Gives me the willies I tells ya!

edited February 2011
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18239404

baking of a 5770 goes wrong.

the trick can work occasionally by the way.
    edited February 2011
    LOL
    Yeah, never seen that one before, although I have heard of and tried using the freezer (or depending on where you live, must putting outside ;)) for a HDD that has locked up. Extreme temp reduction can sometimes unlock the drive long enough to extract the data, although obviously you have limited time AND a likely burnout from condensation even if you hook it up externally.

I doubt very much I would be trying something like that baking with the newer cards that use the vapor chambers... either maker. Probably guessing that it can cause bad soldering and microcraks to reseal circuits enough to improve chance of return to performance...?

• lordmaximus77lordmaximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLPosts: 3,334Registered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    I was the proud owner of a home made server once. That server held a software RAID 5 array of 8 200GB SATA HDD's. I used this server as a filestorage device to feed my harddriveless mediaplayer (anyone remember te KiSS DP series mediaplayers?).

On a hot summer day one of the HDD's failed. In a normal situation that wouldn't be an issue because RAID 5 allows rebuilding when only one of the drives fails. But mr Stupid here (thats me) did not double check the serial number Maxtor PowerMax reported as defective with the serial number on the HDD. It must have been the heat, but I replaced the wrong drive and started the rebuild with the defective drive still in the system and one of the healthy drives containing part of the data removed.

That action meant the destruction of almost 1TB of ripped DVD movies. After that I spent a few weeks re-ripping my DVD collection to HDD.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    edited February 2011
    Doh! LOL!! God knows why we need such frequent and wretched humbling...

edited February 2011
    Mmm, actually, I do use the I/O panel that comes with the mobo, but the problem may well lie with the casing. However, I am certainly not going to start sandpapering the casing to make the I/O plate fit in better.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited February 2011
    Probably guessing that it can cause bad soldering and microcraks to reseal circuits enough to improve chance of return to performance...?
    correct and im with you on that, i wouldnt do it personally.
  • Dark SideDark Side Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    I don't have any computer related mishaps (fingers crossed) but I have way too many work related ones.

One time I was preparing a demo for a client and one of the items I was using was a 7,000 Euro Thermal camera. I usually have one of the technicians from the projects team do all the wiring for me (my electrical background is NIL to Nothing). But on this specific occasion no one was available around the office and I had to do it myself.

Being the careful (read: Idiot) Engineer I am, I've checked the Power Supply to see the polarity of the current. For some reason I assumed that the black cable coming out of the camera is positive and the red is negative (did I mention that my electrical background in NIL?).

After powering up the power supply and not getting any signal from the camera, I started questioning my cabling. Then I've noticed the 7,000 Euro mistake that I've done. Fortunately the camera had a safety mechanism that detected such mistakes and prevented the camera from powering up.

Edit:

Talking about demos, at another occasion, I was doing an Access Control demo to another client. And I was using the biggest and the fanciest $$$$ controller that I had in office that could control hundreds of readers.

Anywhos, the same thing happened this time around. I needed to connect the controller to a PSU. I did all the connections properly (red to red, black to black, etc). Then I turned the PSU on and immediately I heard something cracking and smelled that sickly burning smell of electronics. It turned out that a Fuse had shorted but the device was safe.

I've tried to track down the source of the short and then noticed that two cable ends from different polarities that I haven't been using for any device (but for lack of time haven't disconnected nor isolated safely by tape) were free in the air, and for some reason they were touching each other (must have happened when I've moved some cables).

The sad part is that Fuse has been changed at least 3 times since that eventful day.

My boss has understood quite clearly never to trust me with electrical stuff ever again. And that's why I am allowed to use only a keyboard and a mouse while at the office.
    edited February 2011
    You are not an idiot, these guys are idiots. (If it is in fact real)

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=24858

Hmm... those aren't American plugs... Lol!
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    edited February 2011
    I had the opportunity to touch live wires connected to the mains and with the switch on. I didn't trip the circuit breaker, but got some "vibrating sensations" running through my body (the fact that I was wearing safety shoes probably helped) for a few seconds (at least).

This probably explains my intellectual decline since then.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited February 2011
    This isn't hardware related, but I have to share after I saw the above.

One particularly hot summer in South Haven Michigan I was working at a plastic injection factory. Now, South Haven was right off the shore of Lake Michigan. Never have I lived in a more humid place. I was the material handler for twenty 400 ton machines. They use a lot of material because they make such large parts. So what I am trying to say is that this job made me sweat. Not just a little bit. I was just getting my goatee long enough to look like a man. Anyway, the sweat would run constantly from the tip of it in a stream. That's how bad it was. Well, when parts were defective, we put them into a grinder to rerun the material. Well, I was walking behind one of these grinders to get to another machine. I stepped over the stretched power cord and found myself about ten feet backwards from where I last was, on the floor, shaking. I had no idea who I was. Where I was. All I knew is that I didn't feel right. I curled up, holding my knees to my chest because I was so afraid of not knowing anything. Slowly, everything started coming back to me.

After further inspection, it was found that there was a bare spot on the power cord, running a whopping 440 volts, backed up by I don't know how many amps. All I can say is that the electric motors on the grinders were the size of a small block chevy engine...
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    edited February 2011
    We should sticky this thread. It's just too much fun.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, just got a headache from laughung at the last few... Too funny guys. ;) LMAO

EDIT: OK, stickied- probably will regret it... but

• Ragnar_RagnarsonRagnar_Ragnarson Member Posts: 53Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    When I was a younger man I did some computer training with a mind of becoming a engineer running and my own store, you know a young techie dream lol (Life just doesn't go as you plan when your young does it? :) ), The mistake I made at the end of a late night followed by a Fridays lessons was when I was striping a reassembling a old desktop I didn't check the volt switch on the back of the PSU and you can imagine what happened when i powered up..... A nice loud crack the magic blue smoke escaped and a class full of startled teenagers, good times but the lecturer was very pleased though.
    edited February 2011
    When I was a younger man I did some computer training with a mind of becoming a engineer running and my own store, you know a young techie dream lol (Life just doesn't go as you plan when your young does it? :) ), The mistake I made at the end of a late night followed by a Fridays lessons was when I was striping a reassembling a old desktop I didn't check the volt switch on the back of the PSU and you can imagine what happened when i powered up..... A nice loud crack the magic blue smoke escaped and a class full of startled teenagers, good times but the lecturer was very pleased though.

You foobared it! You let the magic smoke escape!!!11one

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • Ragnar_RagnarsonRagnar_Ragnarson Member Posts: 53Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    You foobared it!
    Oh yes never done again lesson learnt lol, but it was funny to see everyone jump out of their skin though (including myself :p)
    edited February 2011
    lol if we include work mishaps this could be a very long thread.

as the mech engineers here say, just dont let the electricity spill all over the floor.
    edited February 2011
    Alright, I have a recent one. Al, you know how we tore my brand new rig down for the assembly videos? Well, after we made them and I went home, I sat down to play Crysis. Something was wrong. It didn't seem as smooth as before. So I opened GPU-Z to find that my unlocked 6950 was back to just a 6950. Muttering under my breath, I redid the process. Only to find that it didn't work. BLAST! What am I doing wrong? I tried it three more times! No change. Remembering that I had seen lordmaximus77 comment in the "Unlock a 6950" thread that I made about how it worked great for him, I sent him a message asking if his card had ever reverted back on him. He said no. But, I swear, he must have a sixth sense or something. He asked me about the switch for the BIOS. It turned out that it had been bumped to position #2. So, the flash that I was trying to re-perform wasn't working. It was coded for BIOS #1. OH! So I switched it back. There it is, all the shaders are wide open. Back to Crysis! But, then I was getting even less FPS. What the? Holding steady at 24 FPS. I had never seen a graphics card hold so solidly. Even when the action was heavy, in a large area with thick foliage it stayed the same. I went in to Catalyst to find that in my haste to play! play! play!, I had forgotten to give the card 6970 clocks. Ugh! Finally, I am back in business. Thanks Max!
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950