Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Dimwit Corner

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited March 2011
    The truth will set you free. Or, -in some cases- set you on fire (;)). Glad to hear it evo!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Hidden GunmanHidden Gunman Moderator Posts: 4,606Moderators
    edited April 2011
    Mmmmm...

Ms HG had family over, and PC case was used as a drink coaster, with the end result that a new TV card, graphics card, and motherboard came into my possession...coke really does eat computer components.

So, HG gets the GTS9800 card and installs it...system seems a bit lapse in the graphics department...runs, doesn't run, etc. Check inside box...*facepalm....card has its own power cable....connect up...cool, all running great guns.

Runs for three or four days...then *POP! *fizzle *pop with blue flash *Large cloud of blue smoke...

Into car for trip to parts supplier for a power box that actually does cater for all the things that need power....and this machine is still running today, even with S2 on ultra settings for the most part.
    Yes, it's me.

Gungho |Takeda| Yamagato Masakage

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

If you didn't, click here...
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited April 2011
    LMAO! Yeah, the whole, 'once you change ONE thing, you pretty much might as well change EVERYTHING' rule cleary seems to apply here! ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• Dark SideDark Side Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    Another work related incident (many thanks for HardwareMaster for his priceless help in my time of need). It is a long story but please stick with me

I had a demo for a client a couple of weeks ago that I have been preparing for months. The application I was presenting can be spread over multiple monitors (anything from 1 to a dozen). The developer recommended using ATI 5870 6-Edition (6 mini-display ports) as it has been tested and approved by them.

So I went out and ordered the card from the US (not available in the market over here) which took almost a week to reach Dubai. I hooked up two mini-display to DVI adapters to the card and was happy to see that the monitors were working perfectly with everything that I threw at the system.

A week before the big presentation my manager tells me to hook up a third monitor to card and expand the application interface. I looked into the card's box and found 2 or 3 types of adapters from mini-display to other interface port type (I think people who have tried more than 2 monitors with a single ATI/AMD card see where this is going). So I went out and bought an HDMI to DVI adapter so that I can connect it to the mini-display to HDMI interface.

So now I had two miniDisplay to DVI and one miniDisplay to HDMI to DVI links hooked to the PC. I started it up and went to Win7's screen controller. No matter how I switch the ports around, the best I could do was displaying any two monitors at a time. This is 5 days before the presentation day.

Stupid me (or should I say Dimwit me?) decided without research or googling that the cause of the problem is that I am using two adapters for one link (the miniDispaly -> HDMI -> DVI link) and never thought that I was able to display a monitor on that monitor if one of the others are turned off.

So I went out to the market once again to look for a miniDisplay to DVI link. I haven't left any electronics store in Dubai in my search and in a last desperate move I entered an apple store and was surprised to see such a link there (which would have been obvious have I googled "miniDisplay to DVI adapter" and read the first couple of hits).

I went to the office the next day and hooked up the new adapter (so now I had 3 MiniDisplay to DVI adapters) and tried to display 3 monitors. Again, no luck whatsoever.

Just 4 days before the presentation, I was logged onto steam and I saw HardwareMaster logging in. It was already 9AM and I should have been in office already but I thought to give it one last shot before giving up. I explained my problem to the wonderful person that HM is, and he did his search and gave me a link to a forum that explains how you need ACTIVE adapters in case you want to use more than 2 monitors.

Then came the smartest question I've had in this entire story (screwing another time was not an option at this point) and asked whether I've needed 1 active adapter or 3 active adapters. As always, HM had a way to check, oh yes, he had a way. He shot up his ATI driver emulator (whatever the heck that is, he is so geeky he makes me seem like a normal person) and simulated my scenario and then came up with the conclusion that I only needed a single active adapter and the other 2 can be active (technical explanation of this at the end of this seriously long post :p)

So I've logged to amazon and had an ATI approved adapter shipped by DHL to Dubai and it arrived the afternoon of the day before the presentation and it worked!!!!!!

Moral of the story: Google is your friend.

Technical Explanation: ATI/AMD comes with two clock components on the board. DVI/VGA requires a clock signal to synchronize the signal (not so for DisplayPort). So if you want to use a DVI adapter, you can use up to a maximum of two such adapters and the rest have to be active. So for 3 DVI monitors, you need 2 passive and 1 active. For 4 monitors you need 2 passive and 2 active. For 5 monitors you need 2 passive and 3 active. For 6 monitors you need 2 passive and 4 active.

ATI/AMD cards like the 5870 6-Edition comes only with passive adapters. If you want active adapters you'll have to purchase them separately. This only applies to single card solutions. Don't know how this works in CrossFire configuration.
  • Ancient_RuffianAncient_Ruffian Senior Member Posts: 2,668Registered Users
    edited April 2011
    LMAO! Yeah, the whole, 'once you change ONE thing, you pretty much might as well change EVERYTHING' rule cleary seems to apply here! ;)

My current set up is a classic example of that.

My old rig had a dual-core 1.87, which was a bit slow and not the best at playing Empire, so I thought, I'll go onto Trade Me (NZ's equivalent to eBay) and see if I can get a better chip on the cheap (try saying that quickly when you've had one large cold one too many). I checked my old mobo first and leapt to the conclusion that any chip beginning with the numbers E6 would be ok. So I successfully bid for a 2.6 dual core E6750 and - long story short - bunged it in.

And nothing happened. Black screen of - not death, just an absence of birth.

So after whipping it out and bunging it back in two or three times - miraculously without bending any pins - I leapt to the conclusion that there was something wrong with it and got back to the seller.

No, he replied, your mobo isn't compatible.

Yes it is, I said, it says E6 and some x's.

No, he patiently pointed out, it says E66 and some x's.

O ******, says I. I'll need a new mobo then.

Well, while browsing the geek shop looking for a new mobo my eye was caught by a box with a rather attractive virtual wench on it, telling me that it in fact contained an ASUS branded nVidia geforce 9600 GT card. On special.

Right, thinks I, I'll have one of them too. But when I brought mobo and card up to the counter, the nice young bloke said to me, what sort of power supply have you got on your system?

One that you plug into the wall, I said helpfully.

Eventually he looked it up (It was an old HP Pavilion). Then he told me, you'll need a new power supply to run that card with.

So I took the whole shooting match - GPU, chip, mobo etc along with my computer - into said geek shop, and they bunged it all together for me.

There are still a few bits of HP hardware in my system - the case, for one, and the hard drive (which is next on the list of things to upgrade). But most of it is not what it seems.

As I tell my students all the time, the devil is in the detail. Or in this case, the numbers.

Some of us shouldn't really be allowed computers.... :)
    OSWALD: This ancient ruffian, sir, whose life I have spared at suit of his gray beard,--

KENT: Thou whoreson zed! thou unnecessary letter! My lord, if you will give me leave, I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar, and daub the wall of a jakes with him. Spare my gray beard, you wagtail?
    - King Lear, Act II Sc. ii

The entity previously known as The Weaver.
    edited May 2011
    @DS
    [FACEPALM] Er...well, that technical explanation is ALMOST right...

There was a whole thread on this where we patiently looked up not one, but TWO videos on You tube that describe EXACTLY what you need to do and under what circumstances... a particularly useful one being by Bill Donelly, the Engineer from Sapphire... Anyone needing this information should watch the video and read the recent comments:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&feature=related&hl=iw&v=aYorUpN4PQo

Well, that's alright - at least you didn't injure yourself - that's better than I did. Film at 11.

@The Weaver, yeah you and DS should start your own 12 step program group... ;)

• Legendary_WarriorLegendary_Warrior Senior Member Posts: 959Registered Users
    edited May 2011
    The only dimwitted thing i have done regarding computers is the following

I had a computer that was 775 socket, a retail built system that i thought i would upgrade the processor myself on. i went to the local store and got the next model of Intel processor and raced home before my wife did because she knows me only to well and if i was caught playing around with it the possibility of me blowing up myself is increased by 20%.

I got the PC onto the kitchen table and started to undo the case and then with my trust magnetic screwdriver i took of the head sink and place the new processor in, all went well and i put the three screws into the head sink and the fourth on fell onto the motherboard i used my magnetic screwdriver to pick up the screw but i dropped both the screw and driver. i manged to put the fourth screw into the heat sink and turned it on well the there was nothing it did boot up but just went to a blue screen,

I took it to the local repair shop and was told that the CPU had been shorted and the socket has black scorch marks on it.....

So i had to get another PC, of which my wife is a little su****ious about as he is of the opinion that i did this to get a better PC......even to this day whne she mentioned the story i stick fast to my story of me cleaning the computer and that some bust must have gotten onto the socket.

Well, needless to say my wife is a little bit nervous about my new project of building my own PC
    My Rig
    Processor:
    i7 8700k Intel processor 3.7ghz
    Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard
    RAM:
    Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3000C15R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4
    Power Supply:
    Corsair RM850i 850W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
    Graphics Card:
    Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Edition

I would rather die on the field of battle ahead of my men than an old man in my bed knowing that good men have died instead of me.

edited May 2011
    Oh JEESUS, you didn't tell her I was HELPING you???

edited July 2011
    HOw did everyone do over their "Summer Vacation from the TW forums"? ;) Good to see you all back and expect you all to get busily back to the business of eagle-eyeing every new bit of hardware, software and technological advance and talking about it in the forums below! If you have something silly you have done, post it here!

I have been playing some Strategy titles, and looking on as the newest AMD CPU tries to get some marketshare, and have managed to break a motherboard... care to know how? Read below!

edited July 2011
    So, I have a request to update a motherboard... Why? Because they saw our 2600K system with the new upscale blue-themed water-cooling unit on it and wanted that PLUS the newest fancy-Dan reservoir also in a metallic aluminum blue on THEIR 2600k machine...

Okay... no problem. A little over $700 later, putting the whole business together, which takes a little bit of elbow grease when we're talking about compression fittings... I... slipped- which is to say, I released my grip on a fitting unintentionally and lost my seating on my chair.

All in all, while only mildly memorable to my backside, not much of a problen... were it not for the fact in my bodily description of a back-slash whilst traveling groundward, my elbow connected with a memory module on the motherboard...

To my dismay, I found the module in perfect condition but the slot was no longer functioning properly, requiring the purchase of a new motherboard. All-elbows... is far more dangerous than all-thumbs.

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,596Registered Users
    edited December 2011
    I just caused my tower cooler to corrode after stripping it off one night and used a water spray to clean it. I had done it before with those Intel stock heatsinks for Pentium 4s and let them drip dry (being aluminium and I think treated/anodized/plated/whatever) with no problems. Since I was pretty tired, I simply left it lying on one side (on the table) and shut down for the night. The next morning, I found whitish corrosion on the fins (the side resting on the table). The heatsink isn't made of copper and I assumed it to made of aluminium and thus water being a non-issue. Duh. I haven't figured how to clean it and I've just reinstalled it back. I am not even sure of the material used for construction. The corrosion is more or less limited towards the edge that was contacting the table top and so far the temperatures do not seem to be seriously affected.

Incidentally, I spent that day the entire system was stripped down for cleaning, including the front panel to remove a chassis fan. Unwilling to invest on an air compressor or a small sized vacuum cleaner, I used a mildly damp rag to wipe everything down, including the fans. The only fans I didn't clean are the ones within the PSU (don't wanna void the warranty...) and the GPU (had some problems with taking it apart). Hmm, I wonder how many people do as I do, using water to clean their PC...

When plugging everything back together the next morning (after being ****ed about the half corroding heat sink), the second duh moment occurred when I forgot plug in one of the cables supply the GPU power back into the PSU (modular cables). I got the beeps which I later found out (off a website with another PC in the home, not the useless MSI provided manual) to mean a problem with the video. Since I was fooling around with the GPU earlier, I though I somehow broke it. It was only with some inspection that I finally found the unconnected cable and got everything working again.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
    edited December 2011
    Doh! Yeah the unplugged thing is always embarrassing... I just hate it when its to the cooling fans and the whole gizmo I put together with its expensive liquid cooling setp-up is basically without ANY cooling... :mad:

Not sure I understand correctly, are you saying the EXTERIOR part of the cooler had some marking on it from the water? Sounds like salts or maybe calcium? Usually corrosion will be described by pitting and or dark irreglarities in the metal surface... IN any event, I doubt the exterior fins would be significantly effected by some minor effect from tap water, even if they WERE corroded... Most likely the wiping sdown of the surface to remove any calcium precipitate would be the most I would do in this case as of course deposits would reduce the heat-exchange efficiency... Cool story though, and yeah, for sure until I had too many to clean, I used the manual method... Um, no, I don't think I EVER used water though man... LOL!

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,596Registered Users
    edited December 2011
    Doh! Yeah the unplugged thing is always embarrassing... I just hate it when its to the cooling fans and the whole gizmo I put together with its expensive liquid cooling setp-up is basically without ANY cooling... :mad:

Not sure I understand correctly, are you saying the EXTERIOR part of the cooler had some marking on it from the water? Sounds like salts or maybe calcium? Usually corrosion will be described by pitting and or dark irreglarities in the metal surface... IN any event, I doubt the exterior fins would be significantly effected by some minor effect from tap water, even if they WERE corroded... Most likely the wiping sdown of the surface to remove any calcium precipitate would be the most I would do in this case as of course deposits would reduce the heat-exchange efficiency... Cool story though, and yeah, for sure until I had too many to clean, I used the manual method... Um, no, I don't think I EVER used water though man... LOL!

The local water isn't hard and I don't think a single night of water can do serious corrosion. I just tested with a whiteboard magnet and that heatsink isn't magnetic, so steel is out. I don't know. I'll try and clean the stuff off the next time round.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited April 2012
    ratsnest2.png

Communicating with Higher Authority.

edited April 2012
    I live in the desert. It is not only quite warm, but extrememly arid, and even coolant tends to lose moisture more quickly in this environment. So last week, I decided that the evap rate from one of the liquid cooled 2600's was sufficient that the level of coolant was a bit low and also probably increasing viscosity to beyond what would be beneficial.

I wanted to add some distilled H2O to the mix and but when I went to do it I realized that between velcro anchors and general construction with compression fittings for better stability, I had in fact, made it TOO stable to allow me to readily pull out the resevoir to add coolant or water. DOH! I needed about an inch of leeway, and only had about half that.

It had been about a year since I put it together, and I simply COULDN'T believe I would put it together without having made provision for refilss. I often make builds that CANNOT move with filler ports (case modded or not) when construction either requires it or wisdom recommends it, but for my own use, I usually don't bother since only I would be fooling with it and a leak or a cato is no big deal. So... what the HECK was I thinking when I put this together...

I am busy during the week but have been putting this off for over a week now trying to figure out what I did or what I COULD do now...

And then I remembered just now as I was standing there looking stupidly at it, OH YEAH... You can't see it from the rest of the room, but I had put about three feet of extra hosing beyond the case so the rad could be put far from the machine (in another room in fact) - this would allow one to feed slack for the return line and if you did THAT you could then unvelcro the pump, and by revolving it 90 degrees get another two inches or more with pressure on the line TOWARD the sytem and away from the pump/resevoir assembly being takien up by a flexible anchor point going to an elbow prior to the CPU...

I got fancy, and then forgot. I have now decided I will put a label on the ****ed things with a filler reminder. Of course in general you should simply take the ****ed thing apart and CLEAN it probably at least once a year, but I never do that ;). Probably will get around to it in something roughly around 18 to 24 months for personal use machines.

• daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,115Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    I can't help but feel your posts are very hard to understand, not without some nice pics of your PC's....privates....!

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited April 2012
    Erm, actually THAT machine already has pics of it hereabouts somewhere...

EDIT: AND I found it, but there are no updated pics of that machine... So...

These are pictures taken during the build process, so we could demonstrate compression fitting use...

This one is of the finished system but pointing away from where the pump and resevoir are located
    th_DSC04990.jpg

Here is a picture of the rad, actually sitting below and behind the machine it is attached to (its stand is the first computer I built nearly 13 years ago).
    th_DSC04988.jpg

This is an in process build picture but clearly shows the pump (the small black square in the lower front drive area, with a hose coming to it from the resevoir, out of site and above it to the right.
    th_DSC04979.jpg

Here is a more straight on picture of the finished system, clearly showing the resevoir in the top bay and the curving hose coming out of its back goes out of sight down to the pump below. You can see the hoses going to and from the rear panel of the case, whence they go down and behind the machine in this shot where the radiator is in this shot.
    th_DSC04984.jpg

• NisemonoNisemono Senior Member Posts: 928Registered Users
    edited April 2012
    NZXT Phantom (White). Nice. My only concern is the hinge of the optical drive access door. I've seen some (NZXT) cases with their plastic hinges break.
    edited April 2012
    This is definitely one of the problems but by far not the only one with plastic-and-metal cases. The hinge CAN easily break though a modicum of modding skill can solve this with a metal dowel, cheap dremel, and some superglue... ;) - however, what I don't like about them is the 'ticking' sound the plastic makes as the metal and plastic expand or contract at differing rates. I know it seems petty, but - well I simply can't stand it! LOL

Anyway, this is one of the kid's machines, that's the back if his head in the first pic. I didn't choose it, so any credit or criticism goes to him... Steel-only for me- since I am ODC on this subject.

edited June 2012
    I think I have damaged the gpu fan on my Powercolor 6870 while cleaning it. It now runs with a grating sound that I hear from old fans. The screws mounting the fan+shround to the heatsink are also getting rounded. I figure that it is not likely that I can RMA it, especially when I have used my own TIM, replacing the original grey stuff that they use.

3rd party vga coolers are not cheap (not quite justifying their cost, imo), and few shops around here seem to stock them anymore. I might attempt to jury-rig a few old 80mm fans on the heatsink (minus the shroud) with cable ties in the future...

Oh, I also tested the card at stock settings with OCCT and it hit 100 degrees C under full load (the case temperature hit ~45, with ambient temp being ~32 according to the weather station but probably a few degrees higher within my room). I only burned it for about 5 mins and the driver apparently crashed once (and recovered). Darn, GPU overheating is worse than my PII 955.

Strange thing I noticed is that there seems to be no interface between the mosfets and the heatsink on the card, which is not the case in the AMD reference design. I wonder...

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
    edited July 2012
    DOH!!!
    The screws mounting the fan+shround to the heatsink are also getting rounded.

Boy don't I know THAT syndrome...

Uh... Mosfet thing sounds... disturbing. Incredibly stupid if intentional. Its not simply that maybe they forgot thermal tape or something... like the distance is greater, but ther is still cooler block above them... or is there a cutaway such that there is no possibility of an interface?

edited July 2012
    I took a closer look and it seems that the mosfets have their own separate heatsink, not in contact with the main heatsink. If the heatsink is attached by some thermal tape, the thermal transfer will probably suck.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • subterrestrialsubterrestrial Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited August 2012
    This is more of a *derp* moment than problem solving feat, but here goes:

A few years back I decided to sell my Dell studio 540, and yes I am embarrassed to say that I had bought a dell :o . The night before my friend came by to pay for it, I decided to give him a fresh install of windows 7 at no cost. I go through nearly all of the steps of what should have been an easy install when I get the "Windows cannot complete the installation". Me being in my 4-beer deep state of blind determination decides to retry and retry the installation to no avail (tried in safe mode w/ & w/o networking, called tech buddies, windows forums etc). After about 4 hours of pure frustration I take a few seconds to examine the pc and find a cell phone usb cable plugged in! As you can imagine i wasn't nearly as relieved as I was dumbfounded.

btw sorry for being a lurker for so long, but i guess 'Victory loves Prudence' :)
    edited August 2012
    Lesson to the wise, subt, never ever ever fiddle with a rig when you have motivated yourself with beer or other substances....and don't ever even think of playing at serious overclocking when on the juice, it's a good way to lose fingers.

Edit:

Having said that, I've spent the last week trying to work out why various games such as S2 and Skyrim have turned into a slideshow for me, and why Steam has been (edited) me around...after a couple of beers last night, I tried the 'should have been' obvious, and unplugged my external HDD that has Steam and all my games on it, and plugged it back in. Problem solved. *facepalm....
    Yes, it's me.

You have spoken with clarity of thought and rhetorical flourish...you have surely earned the favour of the mods.

edited August 2012
    @sub, Welcome to our newest failed lurker!

@HG, (speaking of failed lurkers) - even better of course would be not having them on a USB connection of any kind, but I have to say, since I don't use them, that wouldn't have been an obvious solution to me either. I probably would have gotten around to it - but hardly first. Yet another thing that makes me go Hmmmm....!

The obvious and unobvious are equally hard to see at times. In my case clearly beer is not a neccessary.

I have more than once been caught in the office whilst accusing the printer of being a no-good-layabout and pronouncing its imminent demise loudly to any that would be within earshot (all the while making thinly veiled and meaningful glances in the direction of my ballpeen hammer such that the printer clearly can 'see' me do so)...
    1)
    It is never quite sufficient (nor, apparently, educational enough) to have one's sons find that their (self-described 'tech-savvy') sire has unplugged the data cable at the printer.
    2)
    Proximately, the relief of hearing the proper whir and clicks somehow does not make up for next case where their hoary ancestor (having dutifully pointed to the properly inserted data cable 'THIS TIME') has somehow now found a way to disconnect the USB _extension connection_ which he had put in himself grumpily enough - complaining about the 'ergonomics of the included 2 foot USB cable.
    3)
    Nor can one be blamed then for wondering at the dubious nature of their own heritage when on a third occasion; having been distracted while working on a hasty build and several phone calls to suppliers and clients, son#2 determines that printing is not happening because father has put three - but not four - of four new printer cartridges in place before closing the cartridge bay...

I hate printers, and all that surrounds the need for their existence. Evidently the feeling is mutual.

@Maeda, yes - and no doubt on thermal tape, although even that is apparently better than nothing at all. On the other hand, I tend to put cards on liquid without exception these days - since enough useless thick goo masquerading as TIM is barely better than TT anyway. In the particular case you mention, I wonder if the seperate heatsinks not getting active air passage over them is an issue?

edited October 2012
    I have been looking at the calendar and thinking I am overdue to exchange the liquid on several personal use machiens in the home 'office'...

I have little desire to take the ****ed 5 minute step of unhooking one of the hoses and draining and then replacing the liquid, but I could probably get around to it if it weren't for the fact I should also take the blocks off and look to see if they need cleaning.

Temperatures remain very radically cool, no issues, so what's the risk? (I say to myself)

I could just keep exchanging the liquid till the cows come home...

Except I can't quite get myself to get over the **** thought -nay- the compulsive _imperative_ that the ****ed things need to be taken apart and looked at... so... I delay taking the liquid out and exchanging it.

Of course this is aided and abbetted by a careful installation method and use of Feser 1 (a coolant liquid that -if treated carefully- appears to exhibit extreme resistance to wear and tear). I will evnetually have to take the radiator down for a day while I replace some fans (another story). When I do, I will report here whether there was any real need to do so.

How long, you ask, have I delayed in exchanging the liquid and checking the blocks? I usually say light duty machines can exceed 18 months with extra care on install and use of professional anti-microbial and anti-corrosive liquids, heavy duty, maybe around 12 months. (Loads of sites will tell you more often, but this may be more reasonable if one is not careful to disinfect areas handled etc).

One of the two machines that should be taken down is my own number-one, and I believe I am on month 27. (That is to say month 27 will end in a few days and I will be on month... 28 :) )

edited April 2013
    From now on, I'm building my own rigs...

While digging around to put the new HDD into my old girl, I had a fiddle with sorting out the wiring loom (!!!???), and as I was running my fingers through the harpies' hair of a bird's nest, I found a wad of goo....yep, clever richard the assembler at the now defunct dealers had secured cables with a rubber band...

Still haven't worked out why the same sized HDD doesn't fit into the old hole though...and now the little plastic module cover on the front of the case rattles after being loosened during the malleting...
    Yes, it's me.

edited April 2013
    Heh, rubber bands. Marginally better than using sticky tape or something.

So far, I use twist ties, having a lot of them collected from those that come with the cables of new appliances. Some people do not like twist ties due to fears of shortage, but I have no problems with it, since I use them to bundle insulated cables together and onto a part of the chassis. They are insulated themselves and don't get near the mobo either.

Many use cable ties, which are more sturdy, supposedly neater (YMMV...), but they are less convenient if you regularly disassemble for cleaning. Of course, cable ties can be reused with the help of needles but it is kind of difficult if the cable bundle is deep in the chassis. Yet another option is velcro wraps, but they kind of attract dust a little too easily.

Of course, higher end chassis do have features that help with cable management.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • daelin4daelin4 Senior Member Posts: 16,115Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    Geez HG it sounds like you constructed your PC case out of spare military surplus hardware.

Corrected action is the most sincere form of apology.
    edited April 2013
    I rather use all of those methods you mentione Maeda, and also use tiny zip-ties which I buy in bundles of 100 or 1000 for close to nothing.

Rubber bands degrade (as HG found out) and also have the unpleasant property of occasionally disintegrating instead, and those little bits can go all sorts of distressinly sensitive places.

@HG,
    YOU didn't BUILD your own RIG? Get down and give me twenty case-cleanings! :)