Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

AI can sometimes surprise (or is it luck?)

caninelegioncaninelegion Senior MemberPosts: 309Registered Users
edited March 2013 in Medieval: Total War
Lead-in story: Well, its rare for me to get ****ed off in a game especially for ahistorical reasons but I did - just quit and started over. Playing as Aragon (early), was still a tiny empire in the late 1300s - basically already lost but I was soldiering on - with one overriding large empire (Egypt) in the game. All the remaining Christian kingdoms were at war with them (except me - no way to reach them) until they had a rebellion and I was able to take the province (Just expanded my naval presence enuf turn before). Next turn, they attacked me. So what happens, The Papacy attacks me. That was just way overboard - they had absolutely nothing to gain by that. So now, the observation from the next game ---

Decided after two failed attempts with Aragon that I had to risk an early war with the Arabs so I attacked with a smaller and less capable army but with a much better commander, Lord El Cid. It was a bridge attack - they had tons of archers - I had few - I was mostly auxiliary cavalry (precisely because they had so many archers) - not at all good for a bridge attack so I withdrew (and el Cid died of old age the next turn). Well, I re-enforced a bit then attacked again. My ally Spain did the same (but with a larger army - see peasants do have their uses) so I expected to be boxed in by larger neighbors once again. Wouldn't have mattered anyway as the AI attacked me nullifying my attack and Spain easily defeated their remaining forces in Cordoba. I totally crushed their army (there was an undefended bridge that my cavalry and a lone spear unit took advantage of allowing wholesale slaughter of their archers and surrounding their units on the bridge. The AI didn't anticipate Spain but that move would have saved Cordoba for an army in Morocco about to enter there. But wither way - the AI would have thwarted me from taking Cordoba as Spain would have done so. Bah - maybe I should try England as I won't be at war with the Alms for long (no border - no ships). Being boxed in for several centuries can be a bit boring - better to lose early and hope for better early luck next time, I think. :)
Post edited by caninelegion on

Comments

• CogreCogre Senior Member Posts: 1,997Registered Users
    edited February 2013
    building a large navy early is essential for the "smaller" factions. that can lead to colonies and when the other factions get large fast the inevitable civil wars lead to interesting turns...
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
  • caninelegioncaninelegion Senior Member Posts: 309Registered Users
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, but one has to build a keep first which takes time then every ship costs 700f. I've found with Aragon, with its tons of early princes, it barely keeps pace. Only with Hungary did I have such a economy problem unless I could move fast enough to get Moldavia, Serbia, and Walachia. Aragon has two possible early conquests then one has Spain and the Alms to the south and France and England to the north. My attack on England seems to have helped a lot as Spain did not turn on me and France was already at war with England. Actually, I saved France's butt. Well, I suppose that's why its rated as "hard" by the designers - it really has been a challenge and that's a good thing.
    edited February 2013
    aragon is truly an interesting campaign. one must play with very risky moves.
    sober!
    edited February 2013
    Cogre wrote: »
    aragon is truly an interesting campaign. one must play with very risky moves.

Yeah, Spain finally did attack after I took a rebel French province (Toulouse I think). They are stronger then me and have a similar quality. Losses have been about equal and no provinces have been lost by either. Basically its a blood bath. It'll be interesting to see who cracks first. Spain with no navy (and I assume little income) or me with England and possibly Italy looking like they are preparing an attack in my largely undefended north.
    edited February 2013
    now i am interested too, keep us updated man
    sober!
    edited February 2013
    Cogre wrote: »
    now i am interested too, keep us updated man

I'm afraid its an anticlimax: Spain cracked - just couldn't keep up with everyone of my provinces making new units and the navy transporting them where needed quickly. However, the past two tries with Aragon, I kept thinking, "not ANOTHER prince!". That seemed to be missing of late. Checked the royals list and my fear was a good one; two daughters, no sons, and a 47 year old king. A few years later he had a son but he died at 68 years old without an heir. So, I'm on try 4.

Can't say this one is boring. Bribed el Cid, took the other rebel province, made an alliance system designed to go after the Alms, built up an army, and attacked. Spain attacked me that very turn. Took three years of siege but I have Cordoba and just barely held off the Spanish (the AI, for unknown reasons, attacked with small portions of the Spanish army). I really don't have much of an army left (actually, its kind of interesting fighting with spearmen, archers, auxiliary cavalry, and urban militia). If Portugal hadn't rebelled three times against the Alms, I'd likely be toast by now.
    edited February 2013
    ah thats m1 at its best man
    sober!
    edited February 2013
    Darn AI just won't let me take Cordoba! My one army was needed elsewhere when Spain came back from the dead (no heirs prior) and before I could take it back, the HRE (of all kingdoms) targeted it with a crusading army. Boxed in again! Well, I suppose I could just take it from them - they have no navy so cannot retaliate.
  • MartokMartok Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    Sounds like an interesting game so far. :)

I love the Iberian factions: Everyone starts right next to each other, so things get interesting real quick!
    edited March 2013
    Agreed (although it is VERY easy to win with the Almohads (sp?).
  • MartokMartok Member Posts: 69Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I was referring more to the Catholic factions -- the Spanish, Aragonese, and (in the XL mod) Portugal. I agree the Almos are one of the easiest factions in the game. (Fun, though!)
  • kasmersenseikasmersensei Posts: 1Registered Users
    I am playing with the Spanish now, maybe 1204. I punished the Alamonds and earlier crunched the French and English in scorched earth campaigns until warned off by the Pope. I am still relatively small holding: Aragon, Navare (taken from rebels), Cordoba, Leon, Portugal, Valencia, Tunisia, Algeria, Aquitaine (one I kept from the French).
    I just recently grabbed Norway, Sweden, Finland, and finally Norvorogard. Wanted to get some of that better trading provinces in the north. Wanted to bribe for them, but every time I landed an emissary in Denmark, he always got knocked off before he could move further.
    The game still remains fun, over 2 years away, been busy with other stuff on Steam.