Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

medieval total war windows 8

pl80pl80 Junior MemberPosts: 2Registered Users
edited July 2015 in Medieval: Total War
Medieval Total War is my favorite game. But it won't run on Windows 8 :( Is there a way to run it? I've tried some of the compatibility modes, and it still won't.

The game exists right after the intro film.
Post edited by pl80 on

Comments

• dwarddward Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    pl80 wrote: »
    Medieval Total War is my favorite game. But it won't run on Windows 8 :( Is there a way to run it? I've tried some of the compatibility modes, and it still won't.

The game exists right after the intro film.

it happens to me as well and i love this game!
  • dwarddward Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    please message me if you find a patch

medieval total war gold edition (first mtw) wont work on my windows 8 laptop
  • leon2oo6leon2oo6 Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited March 2013
  • Tr00perTr00per Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone heard of a solution yet , I can play mtw2 through steam just fine but I prefer mtw1 by far . So any solutions ?
  • AxalonAxalon Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    pl80 wrote: »

I doubt that raw MTW can offer much solutions and surprises at this point (and on this). Try MTW-Redux and see how that goes (see mods-section for info). Try first without any compatibility modes, then ignore XP and try 2000 instead - if possible. Other then that, I'm out of suggestions (as I don't have W8)…

- A
  • caninelegioncaninelegion Senior Member Posts: 291Registered Users
    edited May 2013
    I don't believe the issue is with MTW; I recall a few years ago that Microsoft had announced that "8" wouldn't be compatible with some older games - one of the reasons I decided I would skip "8" for as long as possible. No competition is evil.
  • AnvornAnvorn Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Another classic game abandoned by the money machine. If there's 0 support, then I'm not interested in the series anymore, as I'm sure other releases will eventually expire as well. Regretting even registering for this forum.
  • Spartacus10Spartacus10 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    Hello, I think I may be able to help you and everyone else having this problem

I recently got a new laptop that runs windows 8.1 and for a while I had the same problem. I checked multiple online forums but for some reason could simply not run either Rome total war on windows 8 or medieval 2 on windows 8. Both of my games i have from steam.

This is what worked for me.

I uninstalled all my games from steam and then uninstalled steam itself from the computer and re downloaded and reinstalled it, but not to the usual place. I created a new folder on my desktop and named it Steam and installed steam to that folder instead of in program files or program files X86. Then I re downloaded Rome total war and Medieval 2 total war from steam inside of that steam folder on the desktop. Both games ran fine afterwords, no problem whatsoever.

:D Hope that helps.
  • cogrecogre Senior Member Posts: 1,820Registered Users
    edited December 2013
    that sounds similar to how i moved my games from my old rig to this new one, win 7 though, it would explain why i can play shogun1, med1, rome1, med2, empire, napoleon, shogun2, and rome 2 on this thing. i just transfered the files from hard drive to hardrive , skip the middle man so to speak. no reinstalling.
    KRYTEN: I'm some kind of robot who's fighting this virus, and none of
    this exists, it's all in a fever, except for you guys, who really do
    exist, only you're not really here, you're really on some space ship in
    the future. Hell, if that's got to make sense I don't want to be
    sober!
    edited December 2013
    A lot of "Steam" games are not compatible with Windows - something they don't tell you. I think all one has to do is put the games in a renamed folder (not everything else you did) but, I don't do "Steam" so have never tried it. Got this from a game forum (Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines). It didn't occur to me that this might be the problem.

CRITICAL INFO: VTMB Is NOT Compatible With Steam..!!!
    « on: February 07, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »
    This post is intended for all players who own the Steam version of Vampire -- The Masquerade: Bloodlines...

VTMB IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH STEAM. NO WAY -- NO HOW

If you own the Steam version of Bloodlines, then you must MOVE the entire game as far away from your Steam folders as possible. You must do this BEFORE you install any third-party patches or mods... including the True Patch Gold Edition, and any of the "unofficial patches" produced by Werner "Wesp5" Spahl.

You must do this BEFORE you start the game up and attempt to play it for the first time.

This is not an optional procedure, people. I will NOT support the tech problems of ANYONE who fails to perform this very simple task...

(1) Locate your VTMB installation within your Steam folders.

(2) MOVE that entire VTMB folder (and everything that it contains, including all sub-folders) to a new location on your hard drive. I suggest placing it in its own unique directory called "VTMB" or something similar.

(3) Install the True Patch Gold Edition -after- you have moved the entire game away from Steam.

(4) Install any TPG-compatible mods that you might wish to use.

(5) Create a new desktop shortcut to the vampire.exe file within your main VTMB folder. Simply locate the vampire.exe file, highlight and copy it (press Ctrl-C) and then, right-click anywhere on an empty area of your Windows desktop and select "Paste shortcut" from the pop-up menu (or whatever the equivalent command is for Windows 7).

(6) Add any necessary command line switches to the "Target" box of your new VTMB shortcut. Instructions on which switches to use, and how to set them up, may be found all over this board in the various TPG and Mega-Mod related topics. Or just ask, if you are having trouble locating those instructions and we'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks to "Tesera" at Tessmage.com
  • MolyfarMolyfar Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited February 2014
    Tr00per wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of a solution yet , I can play mtw2 through steam just fine but I prefer mtw1 by far . So any solutions ?

Steam?? What is that please?
    edited February 2014
    A seller (actually, renter) of online games. I don't recommend them but many people buy from them.
  • NisemonoNisemono Senior Member Posts: 926Registered Users
    edited February 2014
    Technically, you only buy a license to use any piece of software. You don't "own" it as you do with most physical goods.
  • Total-war-obsessedTotal-war-obsessed Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited March 2014
    I get this problem on my game. I have tryed the suggestions posted and none have worked.is there another solution to this problem as i bought th gold edition two days ago on gamesplanet?
  • godofhossgodofhoss Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Yo... don't listen to these guys, though it is true on Windows 8 you can't play most games this is usually in the case of games from Windows 98 and lower. If it is Windows XP typically it should be fine. Here is what you need to do to get MTW2 working...

1. Uninstall all MTW2 data (files and all)
    2. Once all files related to MTW2 deleted put the disc back into your laptop/computer
    3. Once disc is in C drive open up your my computer folder
    4. go to my computer and hover your mouse over the medieval2 file or setup file and right click
    5. Once right clicked go to properties
    6. Then click on compatibilty
    7. Click the compatitbility option and choose Windows XP (service pack 3) note: if it isn't on there just click Windows XP
    8. Click the 'run as administration' option and then after all this click Apply then OK
    9. Then install it!
    10. Have fun! :D
  • godofhossgodofhoss Junior Member Posts: 10Registered Users
    edited April 2014
    Sorry didn't know this was MTW forum thought it was MTW2
  • Anders1985Anders1985 Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited May 2014
    So many heretics confuse Medieval Total War (I) with Medieval Total War 2 (II)

In short Microsoft have made your good old Medieval total War (I) unplayable. You have to use old unsupported versions of windows, I heard XP and vista works.

The spesific problem comes from that your operational system wont run DirectX 9.0c. You simply cant install it on Windows 7 or 8 (the current supported versions of windows).

How ever, maybe steam will be able to come up with a solution. It may just be a matter of time before to you can play Medieval Total War (I) throu them.
  • Chrissher7Chrissher7 Junior Member Posts: 188Registered Users
    edited July 2014
    Have tried everything to get this running on windows 8 have a niggling suspicion that windows 98 or me compatibility mode if they weren't integrated together would work (The game does not start if you put it in 98/me). Also has anyone found a fix in the past couple of months since the last reply?
    Team Bretonnia
    Team Lizardmen
  • chris31389chris31389 Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited May 2015
    Hi Guys,

I absolutely love MTW and think i prefer it over the more recent games Total War have released. I'm desperate to play it again. I've had a thought...

In some windows 8/8.1 versions, you can open or install Hyper-V manager. What i'm thinking is that you could create a Virtual Machine and install Windows XP or Vista. Once you have installed the OS you want, you should then be able to install the game? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. If anyone tries it, can they post how it went?
  • UictoriamUictoriam Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    chris31389 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I absolutely love MTW and think i prefer it over the more recent games Total War have released. I'm desperate to play it again. I've had a thought...

In some windows 8/8.1 versions, you can open or install Hyper-V manager. What i'm thinking is that you could create a Virtual Machine and install Windows XP or Vista. Once you have installed the OS you want, you should then be able to install the game? I haven't had a chance to try it yet. If anyone tries it, can they post how it went?

Simple solution for all who have problems with Medieval, just buy it on steam. I have Medieval II: Gold Edition at home, but it simply doesn't work on my laptop. So, I went to G2A, and there I bought Medieval II, you can buy it for about 3 dollars. If you want the gold edition/complete collection you pay like 8 dollars, IMO not worth the trouble of installing weird thrid-party software to get a cheap game working.

Also pay attention to steam sales, as I also bought the entire collection of total war for just €27, which included Empire, Shogun, Rome, Rome II, Medieval, Medieval II, Napoleon etc. And all DLC's and expansions. So, basically money well-spend.

I have tested Medieval II, on two Windows 8.1 laptops and both work perfectly fine.
  • Bane1020Bane1020 Senior Member Posts: 231Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    I use windows 10 and it works perfectly
    Swift as the Wind, Silent as a Forest, Fierce as Fire and Immovable as a Mountain.
  • Maeda ToshiieMaeda Toshiie Senior Member Posts: 3,534Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Uictoriam wrote: »
    Simple solution for all who have problems with Medieval, just buy it on steam. I have Medieval II: Gold Edition at home, but it simply doesn't work on my laptop. So, I went to G2A, and there I bought Medieval II, you can buy it for about 3 dollars. If you want the gold edition/complete collection you pay like 8 dollars, IMO not worth the trouble of installing weird thrid-party software to get a cheap game working.

Also pay attention to steam sales, as I also bought the entire collection of total war for just €27, which included Empire, Shogun, Rome, Rome II, Medieval, Medieval II, Napoleon etc. And all DLC's and expansions. So, basically money well-spend.

I have tested Medieval II, on two Windows 8.1 laptops and both work perfectly fine.

This is about the first Medieval, NOT Medieval II. Some of us actually want to play the original Medieval and Shogun, not the newer games.
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Currently wota-ing as a 声豚 (voice pig)
  • ArgonArgon Senior Member ItalyPosts: 1,071Registered Users
    edited July 2015
    Guys I found a possible fix, run medieval total war using Attila launcher:
    Click on Attila, click play, select medieval total war and click play again. It works only with Attila
    My favorite factions in TW titles:
    Rome 1 - House of Julii
    Medieval 2 - Milan
    Empire - England
    Napoleon - France
    Shogun 2 - Tokugawa
    Rome 2 - Macedon
    Attila - Western Roman Empire
    Warhammer - Empire (Karl Franz)
  • johnFENDERjohnFENDER Posts: 4Registered Users
    Argon said:

Guys I found a possible fix, run medieval total war using Attila launcher:

Click on Attila, click play, select medieval total war and click play again. It works only with Attila

Attila launcher ? Do you means ModManager ? It's not taking in charge TW1...
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    edited January 30
    Post edited by johnFENDER on
  • AgeAge Junior Member Posts: 13Registered Users

So many heretics confuse Medieval Total War (I) with Medieval Total War 2 (II)

In short Microsoft have made your good old Medieval total War (I) unplayable. You have to use old unsupported versions of windows, I heard XP and vista works.

The spesific problem comes from that your operational system wont run DirectX 9.0c. You simply cant install it on Windows 7 or 8 (the current supported versions of windows).

How ever, maybe steam will be able to come up with a solution. It may just be a matter of time before to you can play Medieval Total War (I) throu them.

I was playing it on Win 7 last year with no problems maybe a few updates is preventing me from running it.I am not sure.I am able to play a lot of older games that is win.95.
  • KuldeirisKuldeiris Member Posts: 70Registered Users
    For those interested, I've played entire campaigns on Steam M1:TW (with loads of large battles) without a single crash. I haven't had to make any changes to any files.

My specs are Win7, i5 4570 + AMD R9-270. I have the battle map resolution on full native and the campaign res on a lower one (otherwise the gui is too small).

It does seem, looking at the Steam forums also, that the sweet spot for playing this without glitches is Win7+AMD gpu.
    I like the smell of naptha throwers in the morning.
    I only run the Map but i have played it without any crash for more than 5 hours.
    This is because the devs don't want to do anything with the game as in regards to the UNi file as to change no cd in drive.

I had another game like this but the devs defied the Puplisher(Activision ) and chaged it where you didn't the cd in the drive .These developers cared more about the players not the License holder.

I will not support CA if they don't support their customers and players.
    Bane1020 said:

I use windows 10 and it works perfectly

How did you do this as i have windows 10 and it says MT has suffered from a problem and must close.?