Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Auxiliary Units

2»

Comments

• MountaineerMountaineer Banned Posts: 69Banned Users
    edited March 2013
    I like the idea of ​​having a separate population in each province, villagers and citizens of the empire. Legionnaires can be enrolled only by citizens. The others can be recruited as auxiliaries.
    How far you will go for Rome? Certainly more than 300 turns! :p
  • SashimigSashimig Senior Member Posts: 2,834Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    Otterz wrote: »
    I really like how the RTW mod Europa Barbarorum went about this. It was done so that Roman units (i.e Legionnaires, Roman Cavalry) could only be trained in Italy, and all outer provinces (i.e. Hispania, Gaul, Greece) could only train local "Auxiliaries".

Basically (for me at least) this created a dynamic where I would create a standard Roman army in Italy, and then send it out to whatever province I wanted it to be stationed. Once the army arrived I would then supplement my Roman troops with local auxiliaries, which would of course vary depending on the region.

This way a Roman legion stationed in Gaul would have the advantage of elite Gallic Cavalry auxiliaries, likewise a legion stationed in North Africa would have Numidian Cavalry and light infantry Auxiliaries.

the way it is done in EB is great. What do we need then in Rome 2? Would it be better to only recruit auxiliaries outside Italy or auxiliaries should be recruited like mercenaries? After a certain amount of time could the "foreign" regions be romanized enough to allow classic roman soldiers to be recruited?
    "Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head"

Euripides
  • DivinewindsDivinewinds Senior Member Posts: 123Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    The closer to the splitting up of the Empire you get the more like mercenaries the Auxiliaries are but over the time span we're likely going to be looking at I think it's safe to say we'll see the Auxilia develop into something that closely resembles the Legions in its organisation. Entry into the Auxilia was competitive and organised for much of it's existence with citizens even enlisting (in the days before citizenship was granted to all) and it didn't just involve hiring a gang of barbari to fight for you in their own fashion which is where it ended up, or more precisely paying them not to fight you. Though it is true that the Romans made treaties with certain tribes demanding a certain number of able bodied men from early on in its history, but Auxiliaries were far from being a rabble of mercenaries in my opinion.

One thing worth noting is that Auxiliary cohorts largely recruited from where ever they happened to be stationed, with a few notable exceptions, so that the unit name, derived from its founding location (ie: Germania) eventually became meaningless for many cohorts. And given the long term nature of Roman deployments they would soon take on different characteristics, though whether they maintained the founding traditions I'm not sure, would be interesting to know if a Thracian cohort would pass on and maintain it's style of warfare after a few centuries in Syria for example.
    If you want to do diplomacy options right keep what you have and steal what Civ 5 has.
  • ItfanItfan Banned Posts: 942Banned Users
    edited March 2013
    The fact is that the citizens of the empire were not only in Italy.
    My Total War Most Wanted

Rome 2: Total War
    Fantasy: Total War
    Victoria: Total War
  • DivinewindsDivinewinds Senior Member Posts: 123Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    "After a certain amount of time could the "foreign" regions be romanized enough to allow classic roman soldiers to be recruited?"

Sounds like a cool system along with the EB one, I suppose after enough generations places like Gaul would make ideal recruiting grounds, you'd just need to build up a big enough pool of citizens which can happen in a number of ways such as Roman veterans colonies, the children of Auxilia, Roman settlers seeking new estates etc.

I don't know if Legions and their cohorts were raised outside of Italy but certainly recruiting groups of Legionaries from the citizen pool to cover replenishment could be done within a generation or so. So maybe raise the units in Italy but you can replenish them in romanised provinces, and more quickly in longer held areas?
    If you want to do diplomacy options right keep what you have and steal what Civ 5 has.
  • Oleander ArdensOleander Ardens Member Posts: 47Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    1) We should try to avoid create an overly orderly interpretation with neat distinction between the various types of non-Roman units. There was, just like with way Rome expended a lot of specific contracts stemming from specific cirumstances. Rough categories are however extremely helpful.

2) From a gameplay point of the view the EB model with refined dual AoR + slow cultural assimilation from MTW2 Britannia + mercenaries would immersive and just great. Couple that with not too fast automatic replenishments with intelligent grades and it would be a blast without too much exhausting mico.

3) Replenishments, maybe overall somewhat slower then in STW2, would really go hand in hand with units of which you just have 1-2 in your stack. Without it they lose value much more quickly as you have not the scale of 7-8 units to fuse with. Your Numedian cavalry or your German horse would not run as quickly out of steam. History would go in general very well with gameplay.
  • CiceroSaysCiceroSays Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    I'm sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but is there any further news of the ideas suggested in this discussion?
  • lt.sweetinlt.sweetin Senior Member Posts: 297Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    CiceroSays wrote: »
    I'm sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but is there any further news of the ideas suggested in this discussion?

I read somewhere a while ago that you can "Romanize" settlements which I guess factors in culture conversion in some form. Unfortunately I forget where I read this. I did notice that during the Teutoberg forest video there were Auxiliary infantry units. I'm pretty sure that based upon what I've seen and read there will be different Auxiliary units available but I don't think it's very specific as to where the unit is from and stuff.
    And furthermore.. I think torches must be destroyed!
  • CiceroSaysCiceroSays Junior Member Posts: 5Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Thanks very much! I will be interested to see this sort of thing.
  • tak22tak22 Senior Member Posts: 1,990Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    If you pause when they go over the edicts in the Rezzed demo video, one of them increases culture conversion and also affects recruitment of auxilia (I couldn't tell if it was a + or - on my screen due to resolution). So I think there is at least some relationship between what culture a region is, and what auxilia you can recruit.
2»