Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Shogun Total War won't work on Windows 8

shidoshishidoshi Junior MemberPosts: 3Registered Users
edited February 2014 in SHOGUN: Total War
I heard that when you first install Windows8 your PC actually keeps some of the old settings BUT when you install Windows 8 from scratch (as I had to last month when my PC refused to install fonts) you lose everything of Windows7.

So....
Originally Shogun Total War packaged and sold by 'Sold Out' worked for me but not now.
I've tried compatibility mode, no good.

Any ideas please?

My PC is more than capable of running this game (and used to as I've already said)
Post edited by shidoshi on

Comments

• Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,596Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    1. Same hardware, just different OS?

2. What are your hardware specs?

3. How does the game fail to run?

4. Tried compatibility mode?
    Total War Forums, the official forums of the Total War series:

Forum terms and conditions
    Technology Discussion Section
    How not to assemble a PC

Google-fu, the best skill in solving technical issues.

Faibo waipa!
  • shidoshishidoshi Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    1. Same hardware, just different OS?

2. What are your hardware specs?

3. How does the game fail to run?

4. Tried compatibility mode?

1. Yes

2. Intel Core i3 CPU 3.2GHZ, 7GB RAM, 64Bit, Windows 8

3. Shows the splash screen (names of creators), fades out as if to start the intro movie then crashes showing the error 'Shog_CPP has stopped working'

4. Yes, tried all the options from Windows 95 to Windows 7.

I'm guessing Windows 8 is missing something to make this game run, Flash? .Net or whatever it's called?
    I tried CTRL ALT Delete (Task Manager) and noticed that is says 'Shog_CPP 32 Bit' - my PC is 64 bit.

???
  • Maeda_ToshiieMaeda_Toshiie Senior Member SingaporePosts: 3,596Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    1. GPU model?

2. The game predates .Net and does not require Adobe Flash either.

3. The OS is 64bit, but is supposed to be backward compatible with 32bit programs (ie anything that was created as a 32bit program). Vast majority of existing software are 32 bit and unless recoded/recompiled, they would never turn into 64bit.

4. Go to the folder where the game is installed, then credits, then legals. There is a file called warlord_intro.mpg. Temporarily rename it to something else (admin permission is required) and try to play the game.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • shidoshishidoshi Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    1. GPU model?

2. The game predates .Net and does not require Adobe Flash either.

3. The OS is 64bit, but is supposed to be backward compatible with 32bit programs (ie anything that was created as a 32bit program). Vast majority of existing software are 32 bit and unless recoded/recompiled, they would never turn into 64bit.

4. Go to the folder where the game is installed, then credits, then legals. There is a file called warlord_intro.mpg. Temporarily rename it to something else (admin permission is required) and try to play the game.

1. GPU? Errr....Intel(R) Core (TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHZ 3.20 GHZ
    RAM:7.00GB
    64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

2. Hmm, it's not that then ;)

3. Ok

4. Tried that, no difference.

I have Shogun2 but don't like it but it looks like I'm going to have to like it as Shogun:Total War is not going to work is it :(
    edited March 2013
    GPU as in graphic processing unit. Can be a discrete card or onboard or on-die.

I don't have Win 8 (not planning to upgrade to it), so I can't say what's the real issue. Can be OS or driver related issue.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • StrykStryk Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited March 2013
    I had no luck with a Windows 8 attempt either. I'm thinking Windows 7 was the last Windows that can run the original. Fortunately I only bought Windows 8 while on discount to shelve it for later. I will be downgrading shortly.
  • Lord_IskenderLord_Iskender Senior Member Posts: 1,204Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Just wander to this thread to know is the original shogun can be played in windows 8. But it seem not. So yeah, goodbye Shogun Total War.
    Sometime you just need to relax

My most wanted option in diplomacy "give region option" still hope it will finally make it in future patch.
  • wrestlesubmitwrestlesubmit Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited June 2013
    Someone please tell me that there is a solution to the problem of running Shogun on Windows 8...
    there has to be a fix. I will gladly pay someone for a solution.

Someone please help!

John
  • Raspberry ParadeRaspberry Parade Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    Someone please tell me that there is a solution to the problem of running Shogun on Windows 8...
    there has to be a fix. I will gladly pay someone for a solution.

Someone please help!

John

There is no solution/fix. Shogun: Total War and Medieval: Total War are both completely incompatible with Windows 8. I recommend you enable Hyper-V and install XP on a virtual machine if you wish to play Shogun or Medieval on a Windows 8 computer.
    edited September 2013
    There is no solution/fix. Shogun: Total War and Medieval: Total War are both completely incompatible with Windows 8. I recommend you enable Hyper-V and install XP on a virtual machine if you wish to play Shogun or Medieval on a Windows 8 computer.

You will need RemoteFX for the graphics.

http://superuser.com/questions/497150/can-windows-8s-hyper-v-use-the-full-power-of-the-host-hardware

Even then, you may still find the performance lacking in terms of screen refresh.

How not to assemble a PC

Faibo waipa!
  • Raspberry ParadeRaspberry Parade Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited September 2013
    You will need RemoteFX for the graphics.

http://superuser.com/questions/497150/can-windows-8s-hyper-v-use-the-full-power-of-the-host-hardware

Even then, you may still find the performance lacking in terms of screen refresh.

Forgot to mention that. Thanks.

You can also try VirtualBox with 3d acceleration enabled, or VMWare workstation which has 3d acceleration automagically ;)
  • Piratepeter69Piratepeter69 Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I tried hyper V but the performance was no good on XP So i tried the VM ware station.. it runs
    but I get graphical glitches with the mouse leaving behind pointers in the campaign map . Just wondering what I am missing to get it right thanks .
  • karamasukaramasu Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited January 2014
    I tried hyper V but the performance was no good on XP So i tried the VM ware station.. it runs
    but I get graphical glitches with the mouse leaving behind pointers in the campaign map . Just wondering what I am missing to get it right thanks .

I used VirtualBox from Oracle and installed Windows XP. Shogun worked and with a little tweaking it ran pretty good.
  • awenawen Junior Member Posts: 2Registered Users
    edited February 2014
    To get shogun 1 / medieval 1 total war running on 32bit operating systems you could try these two things...

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?69367-Medieval-Total-War-CTDs-and-Solutions

also...
    http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/18466#.Uv1nd4WAv9s
    rbbane66
    Sep 13 07 10:13 AM
    I too have recently re-installed Shogun-Total War, after getting bored with the "eye candy" of Rome, and similar games.
    However, I too experienced the problems of screen flicker on the menu/option screens, and the serious problem of the left-mouse not working correctly in battles.

The screen flicker, although not too serious, seems to have been cured by setting the monitor refresh rate to 70htz, as someone else has written.
    I appear to have cured the left mouse problem, (after trying a few unsuccessful ideas), by selecting .......
    Display Properties\Settings\Advanced\Troubleshoot .... and reducing the Hardware Acceleration slider by TWO clicks. (Reducing by three puts the game into Sofware Mode). But TWO clicks appears to do the job, and battles seem to run perfectly now, still in Hardware mode, with no more left mouse problems.
    Hope this helps others who wish to play this great game again.
    RBB.