Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Area of recruitment?

Tróndur í GøtuTróndur í Gøtu MemberPosts: 92Registered Users
edited April 2013 in Total War: ROME II
Hello TW fans!

Have been wondering whether there will be a recruitment system simlar to that of Europa Barbororum and RTR VII (my favorite mod, ever). Specifically thinking about the area of recruitment system - being able to recruit iberian soldiers from your colonies in iberia, for example, and not being able to recruit your elite roops overseas. Especially now, when Carthage is a main faction, because they relied mostly on colonial troops. Most famously Hannibal, 80% of his troops being colonial troops (iberians and numidians) or mercenaries (celts, ligurians and italians).

I think CA should draw some inspiration from EB and RTR VII concerning AOR and unit design, saves them them a lot of work actually. Loved the detail that went into each unit type in RTR VII, would love to see some of those thorougly researched units in RTW II. :)
Post edited by Tróndur í Gøtu on

Comments

• LongshanksLongshanks Senior Member Posts: 358Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    I would love to see AOR in Rome 2. it gives the game more realism.

I for one dont want to be able to recrute Macedonian Elites in Brittain within 5 turns. :P
    Get 'em boyz!
    Dakka dakka dakka!
    WAAAGH! THE ORCS!
    WAAAGH!
  • mmurray821mmurray821 Moderator Posts: 5,060Moderators
    edited April 2013
    I really hope so. Auxiliary units were heavily used by all the empires of this time. For example, it would be really cool after the conquest of the Balearic Islands you could then recruit their slingers for your army.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson on the limitations of humans. I see it as a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
  • Tróndur í GøtuTróndur í Gøtu Member Posts: 92Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    Agree guys, it opens up a new challenge: reinforcement, it was´nt only for showing tolerance and "multi-culturalism" that Alexander recruited persians for his army... but you should get your non-elite units when you have integrated your outer/overseas provinces sufficiently,but this should take time, just like it took for the romans/greeks to romanize/hellenize their conquests AND it makes you capable of recruit units that you otherwise can´t :)
  • LongshanksLongshanks Senior Member Posts: 358Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    And...dont forget to Barbarianize the Romans and forcing them to paint themselves blue:D
    Get 'em boyz!
    Dakka dakka dakka!
    WAAAGH! THE ORCS!
    WAAAGH!
  • MountaineerMountaineer Banned Posts: 69Banned Users
    edited April 2013
    The citizenship system would solve many problems!
    How far you will go for Rome? Certainly more than 300 turns! :p
    edited April 2013
    Well... didn´t think about that x)
  • adun12345adun12345 Member Posts: 99Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    We'll have to see how the new unit recruiting system works, with units primarily recruited from armies rather than cities themselves. Hopefully, the units that your army can recruit vary based on where it is on the map...
    edited April 2013
    adun12345 wrote: »
    We'll have to see how the new unit recruiting system works, with units primarily recruited from armies rather than cities themselves. Hopefully, the units that your army can recruit vary based on where it is on the map...

I know and personally like the idea of recruiting in the field, is more realistic actually, since most soldiers of the time were small landowners (middle class), living in the country, since they had to be able afford arms and armor...and are physically fit from hard labor
  • UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Senior Member Posts: 452Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    I know and personally like the idea of recruiting in the field, is more realistic actually, since most soldiers of the time were small landowners (middle class), living in the country, since they had to be able afford arms and armor...and are physically fit from hard labor

I don't know how this recruiting from the armies should work? In republican times the romans recruited all their legions and units from socii mainly in Italy and from there they moved to the front. What they could recruit onsite were just a few auxilia and mercenaries.

In imperial times, the romans recruited their units from all over the known world and moved them to the front accordingly. The AoR-recruitment system of RTW-mods like EB and RS were pretty close to a realistic recruitment model.
    edited April 2013
    I don't know how this recruiting from the armies should work? In republican times the romans recruited all their legions and units from socii mainly in Italy and from there they moved to the front. What they could recruit onsite were just a few auxilia and mercenaries.

In imperial times, the romans recruited their units from all over the known world and moved them to the front accordingly. The AoR-recruitment system of RTW-mods like EB and RS were pretty close to a realistic recruitment model.

Indeed, but CA can only pick one model, but CA have also said that they want to reduc micromanagement, including having to manually move your new units into armies, and I personally found the system for automatically movng new units into yur armies in empire and shogun 2 extremey clunky, and never used it :/
  • UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Senior Member Posts: 452Registered Users
    edited April 2013
    Indeed, but CA can only pick one model, but CA have also said that they want to reduc micromanagement, including having to manually move your new units into armies, and I personally found the system for automatically movng new units into yur armies in empire and shogun 2 extremey clunky, and never used it :/

As long as I can recruit armies everywhere, according to local availability (AoR), move them to another army and exchange units, I am fine. In this case I would simply ignore CAs casual system, whatever they introduce. I hope they give players the freedom to play the game, like they want to play.

They said, I would need a general, whenever I recruit and move armies. Well, that is unrealistic for non-fighting armies, especially for the smaller ones (vexillationes), but I can live with that rule.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, thing is that they have to pick a middle ground, since each nation had it´s own recruitment or drafting system: from tribal levies and vassals to the "part-timers" of Hellas and the mid Roman republic to the professional career soldiers of imperial Rome and Macedonia, plus mercenaries and colonial troops like the iberians under Carthage and the italian socii!

It´s almost impossible to simulate all of those in ONE game :O)