Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

Please Comment on New Build

NanTanLupanNanTanLupan Junior MemberPosts: 12Registered Users
edited February 2011 in Technology
After researching the Sandy options ,,, I retreated to the tried and true .
i7 Bloomfield 950
Asus Sabertooth
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB Memory
EVGA GTX 570 fermi 1280
Coolmaster HAF 932 KWN3
Corsair CMPSU-750TX PowerSupply
WD Caviar Black 1tb 6.0 Harddrive
Zalman CPU Cooler CNPS 9900ALED
Rat 7 Gaming Mouse cyborg
Cyborg Keyboard
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium
LiteOn Drive
Dell Ultrasharp U2311H [ e-IPS ] Monitor
I am not concerned about overspending here and there because it has been a long
between builds.. every 7 or so years aka Locust build..I would like your opinions
please....Thanks in advance oh..Creative Fatal1ty Headset and Soundblaster X-Fi Card also
Post edited by NanTanLupan on

Comments

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    LMAO @ "Locust build"... Great name! Just wish you had put it in the thread... ! ;) If Ice had put his thread up we'd have Ice Machine and Locust Build... heh heh heh ...

Build comments...
    First off, that's a triple channel so that 2x4 mem has to go... You're still thinking 1155 dual channel. X58 chipsets use sets of three, so either 3x2 or 3x4 is what you are looking for. 6 is more than adequate for gaming right now, although, if you're hanging onto it for a bit, ram is so cheap, you might want ot get 12Gs... Other than that I love those specs - have used them and will be using them again. Thats a very stable and reliable board and one of my favorite PSUs. 570 is more than adequte for a 23inch monitor. That one is an AR, I believe (meaning its also a lifetime warranty- good!). NO complaints. Be a little choosey on the soundcard though... some of the lower-end XFi's aren't what they seem as they use cheaper boards and chips of the same name. Choose from the middle on up for safety.

Alternatively (I know I'm wasting my breath here ;) ), you could wait until the new chipset is out for the 1155s... Heh heh heh ... Yeah, not sure I will either, but I might build a second machine just so I can use one with an NF200 chip...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • NanTanLupanNanTanLupan Junior Member Posts: 12Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Hey AlJabberwock..I know you are a NewEgg fan,, i started dealing with them because of that..I plan on getting Vengeance 3x4gb ram to replace the 2x4gb i already ordered.. can you tell me how or if they will take back the 2x4 i bought last week.. I am very happy with them and all my system parts arrived in a timely manner and in good shape..I never sent anything back before can you give me a quick run through...and do you think i should OC the CPU,,Graphicscard or memory...if so to what degree.. I would like a bit of improvement with a safe format.. I am having a computer savvy friend build it..So how much OC is really safe for longevity. Thanks
  • ToxicseagullToxicseagull Senior Member Posts: 944Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    just to throw my coin in,

avoid the fatality headset. if you want a mic, buy it seperately and get some good fecking headphones. you cant go wrong with some high level 2xx series sennheisers.

im not a fan of the zalman's if im honest, personal preferance i know but coolermaster v10, corsair A50, akasa venom, titan fenrir, prolimatech megahalems, scythe ninja 3 would be my choices over the zalmans.

again with the cyborg, it depends on your hand. i would prefer a logitech g5 or mx500 or razor abyssus/deathadder. the cyborg in my mind is the personification of trying to fit too much onto a mouse without a thought for actually using it.

same with the dell, i prefer samsungs led's personally.

with the corsair vengence, will you be overclocking? if not i would head for the same speed but cheaper RAM. i know you dont consider price a restriction but if your not overclocking theres no need to throw the money away.

just posting to point out a different side of the build. as jabber says, the build works and wont dissapoint.

• AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    Odds and Ends:
    I will agree on the Sennheisers, and you don't have to spend a million dollars on them either (although you can if you want ;) ).

Cooling with an OC is something I never do on air anymore. For those who do, usually top of the class or nearby for Overclocked CPU cooling is going to be a Noctua or a Prolimatech for big-daddy 1366s on a tear.
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1531/6/

Overclocking the 950
    I doubt very much I would be overclocking a 950 out of the box for S2. I would let it run at stock/turbo once S2 is out and see how it runs for you. You can always OC it if it just isn't up to it (and I think it probably is EASILY up to it without an overclock). That said, those chips are very very good and capable of seriously kicking butt and taking names. Its simply a case of Godzilla probably not needing extra heavy boots...

Your CPU will be Turbo-ing to 3.33 without any manual overclock at all (that's basically a 10% oc built in by Intel), and its actually considerably nicer than an OC since usually to retain stability, you have to turn the turbo off when you overclock (too many variables) and so it constantly runs at a manual OC of whatever. With Turbo, when not needed, not only does it spin back down to stock (3.06), it will slip into an energy-saving state idle well below that, both reducing heat, lowering energy use, and prolonging the life of the CPU (and/or reducing the probability of a CATO depending on your school of thought).

Overclocking the 570GTX
    LOL, why?? If you just feel the need for speed, buy one factory overclocked so you still get the warranty- I have to say, I can't see a need for it.

Overclocking the Ram
    Nota Bene, to overclock the x58 platform requires that you change something called the Bclk which is an over-seer of sorts of all the other clocks (CPU, Chipset, RAM). When you change that, you WILL change all the other clocks I mentioned like it or don't - with certain abilities to bring the others back in line with stock, or thereabouts - or not - depending on what their set minimums and maximums are (and their individual multipliers... LMAO- it sounds worse than it is - but with great power comes great - jargonny ...gobbledyg.ook ;) ).

RMA procedure
    Sign in to your account, choose RMA from the list of things you can do (I think its on the bottom but it may be on the left...) You will see a list of items you can RMA and how- Choose your ram, and they will issue an RMA number. YOu need that number so you can write it all over the box and UPS shipping label you send to them. Usually they want it written on a slip of paper inside the box you send back to them as well... LOL, I usually write it all over the da.mned thing... (since you just got it or are still waiting, you should be able to return it in exchange for what you are going to order.)

Anyway follow the prompts. If it doesn't make sense or you're getting an answer you don't like, give them a call or get them online for live chat. The main thing is 1) You ordered the wrong part in error, 2) You haven't even probably gotten it and are just returning it for the right part. Never had aproblem and neither should you, although I am afraid you WILL be out whatever the return shipping is -since its small and light, at least it shouldn't be more than a few bucks.

Keep in mind RMAs expire, so if you take too long once you've been given a number, you'll have to get another one (DOH!). I did that once, and now they always know when I am calling to remind me its going to expire... (Double DOH!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

• DarkSideHomeDarkSideHome Senior Member Posts: 1,549Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    you cant go wrong with some high level 2xx series sennheisers.

You gave me the same advice like a year ago, but I was too cheap to buy a 2xx series (actually, couldn't find one at the time), so I ended up with the PMX 100 (which I am using right this minute). It is the best set of headphones I've ever owned, and I'm quite confident that I'm going to get only Sennheiser from now on.

I regretted not getting a 2xx series when I was in Germany last year, it was on sale and was like 35 euros or something very close.
  • -_iCeMaN_--_iCeMaN_- Senior Member Posts: 109Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    LMAO @ "Locust build"... Great name! Just wish you had put it in the thread... ! ;) If Ice had put his thread up we'd have Ice Machine and Locust Build... heh heh heh ...

Build comments...
    First off, that's a triple channel so that 2x4 mem has to go... You're still thinking 1155 dual channel. X58 chipsets use sets of three, so either 3x2 or 3x4 is what you are looking for. 6 is more than adequate for gaming right now, although, if you're hanging onto it for a bit, ram is so cheap, you might want ot get 12Gs... Other than that I love those specs - have used them and will be using them again. Thats a very stable and reliable board and one of my favorite PSUs. 570 is more than adequte for a 23inch monitor. That one is an AR, I believe (meaning its also a lifetime warranty- good!). NO complaints. Be a little choosey on the soundcard though... some of the lower-end XFi's aren't what they seem as they use cheaper boards and chips of the same name. Choose from the middle on up for safety.

Alternatively (I know I'm wasting my breath here ;) ), you could wait until the new chipset is out for the 1155s... Heh heh heh ... Yeah, not sure I will either, but I might build a second machine just so I can use one with an NF200 chip...

Are you referring to me in the first sentence? :P
    edited February 2011
    Indeed... Ice machine (a machine that makes ice) and Locust build (one made every 7 years) would have been great threads to refer to ;)