Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

What you want to see in the next Total War ?

vaptinvaptin Senior MemberPosts: 752Registered Users
edited December 2015 in Total War General Chat
Come, on, there's gotta be this thread.

I think its best for this to be about the next full game.

I personally am really hoping for a massive CA project focusing on Mongol total war! I think the era, and concepts are very exciting and have huge potential for all the themes CA have thus far embraced - Mass expansion, conquests, politics, advancements in technology etc.
Post edited by vaptin on

Comments

• Apophis150Apophis150 Member Posts: 43Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I personally wanted Rome II but if they wanted to do Asia they should have done Genghis Khan:Total War.
  • GSCGSC Senior Member Posts: 1,687Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    If they do another Asian TW another TW skipped for me.
    I would love Renaissance, Victorian or WW1 (WW2 would be cool too, but impossible to do so I never name it as my wish TW's)
    RTW2 or Ancient TW would be cool too.
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    These are my thoughts on why I think a Victoria Total War is a good future title. Copied over from the old boards.

--

Having been chatting to some people on Steam, I've been convinced to actually write down my thoughts on why Victoria Total War is my preferred choice of era for the next Total War title, and some ideas on how I think it could work. So I'm going to quickly lay out some proposals for how I think the game could function, and what it could feature.

Time Period

My ideal time period would be 1815-1915. Napoleon Bonaparte has just been defeated, and a new age of global expansion, technological innovation and communication is beginning. This allows for a lot of technological advances, covers many major wars and political events. For instance:

* American Civil War
    * Crimean War
    * Franco-Prussian War
    * Zulu Wars
    * Third Anglo-Maratha War
    * Boer War
    * Opium War
    * Unification of Italy
    * Unification of Germany
    * Russo-Japanese War
    * Scramble for Africa
    * South American Independence Wars
    * Westward expansion of the USA/Wars against Mexico

Map Area

There's only really one possible map for this title - global. I started out with a list of which areas should be covered, but it soon turned into a list of the entire world!

Technologies

Steam technologies for industry and railways would obviously be very important. As well as that, naval technology advances from massive wooden sailing ships to ironclads, to steamships with paddlewheels, then screw propellers, before finally ending up with the mighty Dreadnaughts. Communication also improves with the invention of the telegraph and improvements in transportation like trains and improved shipping. In military terms, the development of the breech loading rifle eventually replacing the musket, improved artillery, the development of the machine gun. Also, the changing uniforms could be covered by technologies. In Empire, researching techs already changes the appearance of your units. So if Victoria Total War features maybe three or four different types of uniforms (Napoleonic, mid 19th Century, late 19th Century, and Khaki for instance) and different types of headgear (Shakoes, Pith Helmets and WWI style helmets for example) with each changed tied to a technology. So as you advance through the technology of the period your armies will change their appearance.

Playable Factions

Some possibles that spring to mind:

* Great Britain
    * France
    * Prussia
    * Russia
    * Austria
    * Ottoman Empire
    * United States
    * Mexico
    * Maratha Confederacy
    * China
    * Japan

Personally, I would much rather see this title than a dedicated WWI Total War. A Victoria title would have so much more potential for variety and open ended gameplay than a title dedicated to the First World War, which would end up being even more linear and with a smaller scope than Napoleon! Now, don't get me wrong, I like Napoleon a lot, but I think CA could be barking up the wrong tree slightly by making future titles smaller, more focused on an individual or specific conflict. Total War should be about epic, sweeping campaigns across continents and oceans, being able to take the Austrians and invade Mexico, or play as an Indian faction and launch an invasion of Europe. I think that a Victoria title will give CA a massive opportunity to show what Warscape can do, before potentially then going back to look again at more ancient periods of history.
    [PORTABLE-ID]dionysiusthemighty[/PORTABLE-ID]

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    edited July 2010
    I like your idea Dionysius, that would be awesome. And to answer the WW1 question they could release an expansion the is similar to Napoleon with 3 different campaigns. T.E. Lawrence and the Middle Eastern campaign, The Western Front and the Eastern front (which could also include the Russian Revolution)
    edited July 2010
    No, I want WW1 to be a global campaign, not small conflicts.
    You know, I want to ''maneuver'' with my German fleet all around the world and seek for weak Allies spots and strike there and then ASAP go to seas again until Allied fleets arrive. Dreams...
    WW1 must be huge like Victoria.
    edited July 2010
    Lol yeah it would be a dishonour to WW1 but it seems CA is getting smaller and smaller
    edited July 2010
    But that doesn't mean temporary.
    They can make next game even bigger then ETW.
    edited July 2010
    Next game is smaller than Napoleon though???
    edited July 2010
    Yes, but after STW2
  • Dionysius the MightyDionysius the Mighty Senior Member Posts: 3,194Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Well, one of the reasons I picked the 1815-1915 date range is that it can include early WWI technology and uniforms while still featuring the global map. By the time you reach the latter stages of the GC you'd be able to take soldiers in khaki and WWI helmets, armed with Enfield rifles and machine guns and fight in Europe, or invade Asia, even try and force a landing in the Americas! You also don't have to worry about complicated things like tanks, and aircraft can be covered like the Hot Air Balloonist from Napoleon - a General's ancillary that improves line of sight.

"Every position must be held to the last man: there must be no retirement. With our backs to the wall and believing in the justice of our cause each one of us must fight on to the end." ~ Field Marshal Haig, order to British troops, 1918

• dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 12,801Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited July 2010
    Well, one of the reasons I picked the 1815-1915 date range is that it can include early WWI technology and uniforms while still featuring the global map. By the time you reach the latter stages of the GC you'd be able to take soldiers in khaki and WWI helmets, armed with Enfield rifles and machine guns and fight in Europe, or invade Asia, even try and force a landing in the Americas! You also don't have to worry about complicated things like tanks, and aircraft can be covered like the Hot Air Balloonist from Napoleon - a General's ancillary that improves line of sight.

Early WW1 technology and tactics were first utilized in the mid-19th century, starting with the American Civil War. The weapons got better over the next sixty years, but the battlefield tactics were much the same as the previous two or three thousand years. Get a lot of men together and charge. Most of the European generals did not know how to use the tech they had. Their thinking was similar to that used by the Romans, Assyrians, Hittites, etc. It did not get much better during the early 20th century either.

I would like TW games to go back to earlier eras. Empire building can have many forms. There are plenty of "modern" technology games available but not very many good ones from earlier times. Just my opinion. Thanks.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    edited July 2010
    Actually I have yet to find a 19th century title that plays anything like a Total War game. I'm aware that there's a game called 'Victoria', but that appears to be a minutely detailed government and economy sim, with an insanely steep learning curve. There's a lot more ancient era titles than those that cover the gap between Napoleon and WWII.

1915 is about the absolute latest a Total War title should extend, I really don't see the TW system working with a WWII environment at all.

I'm still finding gunpowder a novel experience. Total War's given me many years of melee infantry, archers and cavalry, and only relatively recently has it moved into new ground. In fact, I was starting to get tired of the melee style even in M2TW, I always looked forward to the discovery of gunpowder when I would get the chance to fill my armies with musketeers and cannon and try a different play style. I hope that after celebrating TW's 10th anniversary with Shogun 2 we'll get back and have one more more modern title before heading back to the ancient world. Of course, a 16/17th Century pike and shot title would be pretty cool as well.

• Go EazyGo Eazy Senior Member Posts: 108Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Apophis150 every time I see your Avatar I think Olmstead is back :O

And I would have to go with Victoria Total War, It seems like the next step should be forward and not back again.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 12,801Registered Users, Moderators, Knights
    edited July 2010
    For Dionysius. I completely agree with your comment about a 19th century title playing like a TW game. My problem is just that, very few games, IMO, play like a TW game. Get into the 20th century though and there is some pretty good competition.

Done in TW style, I can't help but think that the early periods of history, two thousand years back, have a lot to give us for game play. Maybe I've read too much history about that time period, but it fascinated me when I was ten years old, it still does fifty years later.;)
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    edited July 2010
    Victoria II is coming in August., maybe you'll like it better then Victioria I.
  • darren jkdarren jk Senior Member Praying in the temple of shireknights cultPosts: 2,059Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    world war 2.im not sure if they would be able to make it and would it play properly but there were great generals iconic leaders and it was the biggest war ever seen.i think ****** and ****** and churchill might start too many troll wars on the forum though. ps i cant believe the german leaders name and the russian leaders name got blanked out ha ha
    VENI VIDI VICI :D
    edited July 2010
    Bringing Third Reich to victory, dreams...
    edited July 2010
    I really don't think WWII would work. Not only would the battles really not fit the Total War engine style, but presumably the player would be given the option to play as Germany. In which case you start getting into some emotive stuff. For instance, do you include any mention of the Holocaust, and if so, how much of an active role would the player end up taking? WWII works much better in a game like Company of Heroes which feature the looser, less regimented engagements of the war, while keeping the game focussed purely on the battlefield. Total War wouldn't have that luxury.

Like I said, 1915 is about the latest Total War can realistic go, in my view.

(Incidentally, this is not a cue to start debating WWII, and all that.)

• CloverClover Senior Member Posts: 4,964Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I would really like to try East Asia, China set around 0AD. Rome 2 would be pretty nice i think, but i would really like more of a break from playing in Europe than just a single game.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • Ace_BlazerAce_Blazer Senior Member Toronto, CanadaPosts: 5,889Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Thread stickied like the old one.
    My Rome 2 PC: Intel i5-4670, nVidia 760GTX, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, NZXT Vulcan mATX case
    Please view the Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions.
    Buttons the Kitten needs your help. Click here to save a kitten today.
  • ElyriothElyrioth Senior Member Posts: 696Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I would love to see a 19th Century or Dark ages TW. I definately think it will be something new, we will not see a second sequal in a row
    Na Géanna Fiáine [The Wild Geese]

"What is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
  • RGSRGS Senior Member EnglandPosts: 960Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Whatever it is I hope it has an epic GC and is not focused around mini campaigns.
    edited July 2010
    Same...I have to admit i much prefer a single grand campaign with a lot of options, opposed to 6 mini campaigns. Kingdoms was different though, as a expansion pack i think it was a pretty good idea.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
  • vaptinvaptin Senior Member Posts: 752Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, after shogun I think CA really need to do a grand campagin with lots of different cultures etc. That was one thing I always liked from the mtw games, you could have completely different games from picking say England (where chances are your focus is france), Spain (where it'd be fighting the Muslim factions south), the Italian states (of course domination of the rich trading cities) and the Byzs and Ottomans.

In Ntw in the short term, its pretty much one war.
    edited July 2010
    Yes I think a broader spectrum on the next release. Still hope for Full Europe and Dark Ages or perhaps an Asia total War,

"What is best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
  • maff87maff87 Senior Member Posts: 374Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    Apophis150 wrote: »
    Next game is smaller than Napoleon though???

The campaign map will likely be the size of Napoleon or larger though, so don't worry.
    [PORTABLE-ID]maff87[/PORTABLE-ID]

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War
    edited July 2010
    But with 9 factions and 30 unit types.
    edited July 2010
    GSC wrote: »
    But with 9 factions and 30 unit types.

Yeah i have to admit, that was a really big turn-off for me..
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    edited July 2010
    Size doesn't matter folks it is the magic behind it :p
    Seriously though it really is how they impliment it, sometimes smaller is better.
    More detail, easier for the AI etc.

"What is best in life?"
  • PATRIOT45PATRIOT45 Senior Member SwitzerlandPosts: 686Registered Users
    edited July 2010
    I would like an American civil war DLC or an Imperialism DLC for Napoleon Total War. I would not like a WW1 or WW2 game, because that would not be Total War style!
    Watch out: Arena is more addictive than cocaine! :p