Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

5770hd

Lord BeckettLord Beckett MemberPosts: 74Registered Users
edited February 2011 in Technology
Well I've seen the DX11 cards overview. It made me doubt if my card is enough to handle my demands :o

So here's the deal.

I have a ATI 5770HD. But in the overview stood it's not realy a card for the resolution I play at which is 1900x1200.
Still Napoleon runs pretty smooth at Ultra at this resolution mostly because I don't care about AA :o

I'd rather play Shogun 2 at ultra, as I like to play all of the total war games, but I wouldn't mind playing it at high since it won't look that bad anyway I think. Ultra usually means a bit more glimmer etc. which isn't that much of an addition.

I like to upgrade my cards to the demand of the total war games. But I won't waste 300 euro's on a card to get the performance I can get with a card way cheaper.
I've not yet seen a advice to show which card could do the job instead of overkilling.

So now I wonder if I should upgrade my card, to spare myself from getting grumpy from lag or poop graphics, for a card that could handle total war in high/ultra. And most of all, if it's worth it :)

If I would buy a card, I am considering a 6870.

Hope I diden't make this to long, Thanks already!
Post edited by Lord Beckett on

Comments

• evotucevotuc Senior Member Posts: 983Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    The 6950 or 6970 should run it at ultra.
    2% Club
    FX 8350
    Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB 1600 RAM
    AMD 7950
    How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    Hey Lord Beckett! Nah, that's not long... I know LONG! LOL

Um the 5770 is fine for smaller resolutions, or for larger ones with some things turned down. We don't know for certain yet, but we suspect the larger resolutions (where the 1920 x 1200 that you use, and I do too, is right on the cusp between average to smaller and larger) will want a little more than 1gig of vram. It will probably also require some significant firepower to really max things out and still be comfortable, but I suggest waiting to see how it runs before you burn cash. There are two reasons:
    1) You may be perfectly happy with the settings you develope for your current card, and/or we may be being too conservative of our estimation of the card's capability once all optimizations are in...
    2) Even if you decide, meh- this isn't cutting it for me, lets get something more powerful, guess what? Yeah by then more powerful cards available right now, will be cheaper then! YOU win either way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest
  • Lord BeckettLord Beckett Member Posts: 74Registered Users
    edited February 2011
    Now, you are somebody I can talk to mate ^^ Thanks alot.

Hope to see you on the battlefield ;)

Oh and I suspect if the time comes to make a change in card, You will advice me like all the others to take a 6970 or 6950 card?
  • AlJabberwockAlJabberwock Moderator USAPosts: 7,729Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights
    edited February 2011
    I shall do no siuch thing!

I shall look at the field as it stands THEN. Who the heck knows what will happen and what will be out there for how much?? ;)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Every so often things happen that can’t be rationalized in a conventional way. People wanna know their government has a response. I am that response.”
    ― Kent Mansley (in "Iron Giant")

For most general problems, for which you have no idea of the culprit, your first port of call should be:
    https://support.sega.co.uk/hc/en-us/categories/200307381-Total-War-Support

If you are aware of a bug or a specific issue for which you know the cause, post in the support section for the specific title on our forums. ~Al

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/172193/forum-terms-and-conditions#latest