Adorbs

Mod ideas for Total War: Rome 2.

ragniragni MemberPosts: 71Registered Users
edited July 2013 in Total War: ROME II
I'd really love to see weapon and shields breaking in combat. I understand this would put a lot of resources into such a program but it brings a new reality when in the battles.

When a pila hits a shield, it should break or at least disarm the shield. When an enemy attacks your sword and you parry, that sword should have a chance of breaking. When an axe hits a spear, that spear should be cut in half. When a charging horse with a spear attacks someone with a large shield, that spear should break, etc.

I'd really love to see this in game. Although theirs a 99% chance it WONT be in game, I'd love to see some modders do this in the future.
Post edited by ragni on

Comments

• lordfadilordfadi Senior Member Posts: 1,849Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Well I am sure in future games specially from CA we would be able to see such things but for sure not for the moment, when Rome 1 came out who would even think that Sea Battles are going to be implemented in the future, and they were in Empire, yet they were not that good but I can assure you they are getting better and better with every new Title. I have to admit breaking weapons idea is so tempting and appealing but I doubt even modders will be able to accomplish this in the near future in Total war.
    "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood" Helen Keller.
  • DJ18DJ18 Senior Member Posts: 551Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Animal Husbandry mod?

I want to make many baby elephants. :D
    System Specs
    RAM: Crucial 12GB Tri Channel DDR3
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce 770 GTX Classified
    CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 @ 3.20GHz
    Hard Drive: Samsung 240GB SSD

"Oh yes! The terror of seeing and hearing my mighty war elephants approach will cause everyone on the opposing force to automatically empty their bladders simultaneously on the field of battle."
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,684Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    I'm hoping I'll be happy with vanilla Rome 2. If not then most likely it would be a unit I want to limit or a weapon's effectiveness and/or range I'd want to alter; so an Assembly Kit for Rome 2 would allow me to do that myself.

.... or units to completely eliminate .. such as ....
    ...rocket elephants ....
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • The Indomitable GaulThe Indomitable Gaul Senior Member Posts: 682Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    I like the idea of those rocket elephants that they mentioned....
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,404Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited July 2013
    I like the idea of those rocket elephants that they mentioned....

The fire breathing steel elephants that shoot rockets? oh yeah, that better be somewhere in the game.
    ragni wrote: »
    I'd really love to see weapon and shields breaking in combat. I understand this would put a lot of resources into such a program but it brings a new reality when in the battles.

While technically possible, it is realistically impossible. Seeing as how that would require a model swap, a whole new animation set, and various other things to take into account at all times, not to mention the stat changes ect. Its a good idea, but I don't think we'll see this in a game of this scale anytime soon.
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • ChargingTheWrongWayChargingTheWrongWay Banned Posts: 31Banned Users
    edited July 2013
    I'm not basing this on much concrete historical evidence, but I'm under the -rather strong- impression that camel cavalry was not nearly as prominent as the game would have you believe. At best, I think camels were used as a scare element to frighten horses and elephants. Arabs painted the camels, dressed them up with loud metal things, set their tails on fire, and watched them wreak havoc on horse cavalry and elephants.

But to argue that regular camel cavalry regiments were formed at that point in history,.........um I would need to see the sources.

Idea for a mod: use camels as deployables. Set their asses on fire and watch them charge.

Edit: After a quick glance at the wikipedia article on camel cavalry. I realized how misinformed my opinion was.
  • SargonTheDudeSargonTheDude Senior Member Posts: 469Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    I want a mod that completely overhauls the game into being based around the rise of the Aztec Triple Alliance, I think the "Family" mechanic would do great for representing the posturing between Tenochtitlan, Texcoco (a City whose name honors a deity I feel close to, which whom I'd play as my "Family"), and Tlacopan...
    I want this since I doubt CA will ever make a game centered around PreColumbian Mesoamerica. A good mod would be the closest I'll ever probably get.
    How far will you go... To Destroy Rome?.
    Total War Wishlist:
    Total War: Mesoamerica, Centered around the Rise of the Aztec Triple Alliance.
    Total War: Mesopotamia, About the Persian Empire.
    Total War: Rise of Khan, The Mongol Invasions from the Mongolian perspective. Map spanning from Korea to Greece.
    Possible Expansions set in Asia, or Medieval Europe.
    Total War: Tawantinsuyu, concerning the rise of the Incan Empire.
  • Xyphos7Xyphos7 Senior Member Posts: 337Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Music. If they don't have faction/culture specific music, i'm fully planning on modding it in as best i can
    "It's not us to go under the yoke, to that fact the roman people are a witness. We will not bow!"
  • Pr4vdaPr4vda Senior Member Posts: 274Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    This might be cool.

I know the rest has been discuss a lot, but what I'd like is some "mini campaigns DLC", such as Kingdoms for M2TW.

Free factions DLC for the main campaign (Seleucids, Iberian faction, one "barbarian" faction, greek faction such as Rhodes) or some DLC improvment, but "mini campaigns" are so much fun, and they add new goals which make the game "revives" after some months/years of playing.

A "Rise of Rome" and "Fall of Rome" are likely to happen, but the wars between the greeks cities (forgot their names, sorry), Britannia campaign, Gauls campaign, or even more in the Past such as "Rise of Persia" would be awesome too. There is so much things to do ...
    Team Dawis

Dawis shall purge all their fallen Karaks, with the blood of the Greeskins and the skavens !
  • TiberiusServiliusCrassusTiberiusServiliusCrassus Senior Member Posts: 134Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    A while ago I saw a mod in the works like this for Rome 1, but I would like a mod that went back to the early days of Rome and explored its fighting with other Italian tribes and the conquest of the peninsula. I think it'd be cool to adapt the new political mechanic of Rome 2 to fit the monarchy system that Rome first had.
    Congratulations, you are now aware that you are thirsty.
  • TomsieTomsie Junior Member Posts: 3Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    lordfadi wrote: »
    Well I am sure in future games specially from CA we would be able to see such things but for sure not for the moment, when Rome 1 came out who would even think that Sea Battles are going to be implemented in the future, and they were in Empire, yet they were not that good but I can assure you they are getting better and better with every new Title. I have to admit breaking weapons idea is so tempting and appealing but I doubt even modders will be able to accomplish this in the near future in Total war.

This is utter ****. Empire/Nap have been the only games with naval combat worth playing, that eras ships being more suited to gameplay, and the fact the AI actually moves in naval combat. Go play shogun 2 or Fots now, attack an AI fleet and marvel at how the AI doesn't even move its ships to engage. It and wait just sits there so you have to fast forward for 4mins before you can do anything. It's bearable for a few times, after that forget ever playing a naval action ever again. Also forget about CA ever fixing it. They can't even be arsed to reply to the forum thread.
  • Mr.FreudMr.Freud Senior Member Posts: 623Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    40 unit stacks mod :D
  • KrossKross Senior Member Posts: 1,032Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Mr.Freud wrote: »
    Yaaaaaaay! :p
    The Gates of Janus are open.
  • Max PenMax Pen Senior Member Posts: 160Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Mr.Freud wrote: »

It would ruin the idea of limited armies somewhat right?
    Miscy Networks

Founder/Owner.
    edited July 2013
    Max Pen wrote: »
    It would ruin the idea of limited armies somewhat right?
    why? how? same army cap but bigger stacks + reworked economy to support bigger armies
  • bvojackalbvojackal Senior Member Posts: 250Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    The fire breathing steel elephants that shoot rockets? oh yeah, that better be somewhere in the game.

While technically possible, it is realistically impossible. Seeing as how that would require a model swap, a whole new animation set, and various other things to take into account at all times, not to mention the stat changes ect. Its a good idea, but I don't think we'll see this in a game of this scale anytime soon.

Theoretically couldn't one just remove the shield's visual code on a certain trigger like receiving enough dmg or something so that the model is still the same, no new animations, just an invisible shield? :P
    How do you win against such a large Empire?You cut the head off the beast.
    Veni Vidi Vici - Gaius Julius Caesar
    "I was told not interfere with the Carthaginian meeting. Actually, Grape's words were: "GTFO".
    "Knowledge, Wisdom, Prosperity." - Athens
  • Max PenMax Pen Senior Member Posts: 160Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    I guess it could work. But battles would take ALOT longer to fight.
    Miscy Networks

Founder/Owner.
  • Zipy139Zipy139 Senior Member Posts: 138Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Tomsie wrote: »
    This is utter ****. Empire/Nap have been the only games with naval combat worth playing, that eras ships being more suited to gameplay, and the fact the AI actually moves in naval combat. Go play shogun 2 or Fots now, attack an AI fleet and marvel at how the AI doesn't even move its ships to engage. It and wait just sits there so you have to fast forward for 4mins before you can do anything. It's bearable for a few times, after that forget ever playing a naval action ever again. Also forget about CA ever fixing it. They can't even be arsed to reply to the forum thread.

Hey it certainly isn't perfect, but then again, have you ever played a perfect total war game (no offence CA)? In ETW/NTW mind you the battle was pretty much over already if you have the wind against you, plus the AI in those games was pretty wanting as well.
    Removing a man's head is not half so hard as letting him keep his tongue
  • SetrusSetrus Senior Member Posts: 13,492Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    They seemed to attack in the battle of the nile demo...
    edited July 2013
    Setrus wrote: »
    They seemed to attack in the battle of the nile demo...
    Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing...Why complain about something that seems fine even in a demo where CA admits they haven't finished touching things up yet? Seems silly to me.
    Total War Wishlist:
    Total War: Rise of Khan, The Mongol Invasions from the Mongolian perspective. Map spanning from Korea to Greece.
  • Nelorix,the CaledonianNelorix,the Caledonian Senior Member Serbia,Jagodina/Finland,JyväskyläPosts: 2,149Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    I want a mod that completely overhauls the game into being based around the rise of the Aztec Triple Alliance, I think the "Family" mechanic would do great for representing the posturing between Tenochtitlan, Texcoco (a City whose name honors a deity I feel close to, which whom I'd play as my "Family"), and Tlacopan...
    I want this since I doubt CA will ever make a game centered around PreColumbian Mesoamerica. A good mod would be the closest I'll ever probably get.

IF such a mod were ever to come out,or a full fledged game/expansion centered around Mesoamerica,i`d probably never see the light of day of again,or play anything else.
    Reptilicus #1 Nomadic Warlord,multiple tournament winner and slayer of basement dwellers.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team WAAAGH!

My Youtube channel,bringing you competitive multiplayer and campaign guides! :cool: https://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilicusJungleLair

Back on track with dem uploadz !
    edited July 2013
    IF such a mod were ever to come out,or a full fledged game/expansion centered around Mesoamerica,i`d probably never see the light of day of again,or play anything else.

Finally, someone that understands! But I'm not holding out much hope myself... They didn't even make a precolombian mod like that for Kingdoms Americas expansion for Med 2, where so much content was already laid out for them. :(
    Total War Wishlist:
  • Nelorix,the CaledonianNelorix,the Caledonian Senior Member Serbia,Jagodina/Finland,JyväskyläPosts: 2,149Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    Finally, someone that understands! But I'm not holding out much hope myself... They didn't even make a precolombian mod like that for Kingdoms Americas expansion for Med 2, where so much content was already laid out for them. :(

That`s my #1 game wish of all times besides Rome II tbh,and 6/10 reasons why i`d like to see an expanded Medieval 3 if they ever bother making it. The Americas campaign could`ve been so much more fleshed out in a way,and a precolumbian setting would make the game way more interesting ( people can say all they want about that setting not being diverse,but there was quite the difference between fighting styles,culture,and somewhat when it comes to armaments of the Mesoamerican civilisations,Osprey books cover them quite in detail,very good reads.)

I guess we`ll just have to hope something like that comes out,or time to devote countless hours to learning how to mod :p
    Reptilicus #1 Nomadic Warlord,multiple tournament winner and slayer of basement dwellers.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team WAAAGH!

My Youtube channel,bringing you competitive multiplayer and campaign guides! :cool: https://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilicusJungleLair

edited July 2013
    Max Pen wrote: »
    I guess it could work. But battles would take ALOT longer to fight.
    true. try empire total war with darthmod - it takes up to 30 minutes sometimes if 2 full stacks fighting.
    edited July 2013
    That`s my #1 game wish of all times besides Rome II tbh,and 6/10 reasons why i`d like to see an expanded Medieval 3 if they ever bother making it. The Americas campaign could`ve been so much more fleshed out in a way,and a precolumbian setting would make the game way more interesting ( people can say all they want about that setting not being diverse,but there was quite the difference between fighting styles,culture,and somewhat when it comes to armaments of the Mesoamerican civilisations,Osprey books cover them quite in detail,very good reads.)

I guess we`ll just have to hope something like that comes out,or time to devote countless hours to learning how to mod :p

Yeah they could have done a LOT more but... It was still a good showing on their part though, it was such a refreshing break from the setting of Med 2.

As for learning to mod... I couldn't figure out modding Fallout 3 with the G.E.C.K. tool! :(
    I pray to the Smoking Mirror that CA graces us with a Precolombian Mesoamerican centered game. Riseof the Aztecs, fall of the Mayans, doesn't matter to me. Just give us something! XD
    Total War Wishlist:
  • Unnamed PhalangiteUnnamed Phalangite Senior Member Posts: 203Registered Users
    edited July 2013
    With the new families system and proper implementation of client states, I'd say it's high time for an A Song of Ice and Fire mod. But wishing for complete overhauls as we had in Medieval II is a little optimistic.
    edited July 2013
    With the new families system and proper implementation of client states, I'd say it's high time for an A Song of Ice and Fire mod. But wishing for complete overhauls as we had in Medieval II is a little optimistic.

*Sigh*... Yeah. The lack of (as far as I can tell ANY) complete overhauls of Shogun 2 has broken my spirit a bit. I feel dead inside.
    Total War Wishlist:
    edited July 2013
    Yeah they could have done a LOT more but... It was still a good showing on their part though, it was such a refreshing break from the setting of Med 2.

As for learning to mod... I couldn't figure out modding Fallout 3 with the G.E.C.K. tool! :(
    I pray to the Smoking Mirror that CA graces us with a Precolombian Mesoamerican centered game. Riseof the Aztecs, fall of the Mayans, doesn't matter to me. Just give us something! XD

I agree,imagine how would any of the precolumbian civs` soldiers look with these high end graphics ? ....****,we`d probably even be able to see the feather shafts. This just really made me want the game even more :D

Never tried to mod anything,but i could try learning it at some point after release.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team WAAAGH!

edited July 2013
    I agree,imagine how would any of the precolumbian civs` soldiers look with these high end graphics ? ....****,we`d probably even be able to see the feather shafts. This just really made me want the game even more :D

Never tried to mod anything,but i could try learning it at some point after release.

At the very least we should start a thread when it releases trying to get a project going.
    Total War Wishlist:
    edited July 2013
    Yup, that we should,it`s the thought that counts. That,and spamming CA`s mailbox with suspicious pictograms which subtly indicate that the Mexica are out for blood! Or their long lasting desire to be playable in a newer total war game.

Team Lizardmen
    Team Slaanesh
    Team WAAAGH!