Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

First Chapter of Total War: ROME - Destroy Carthage!

Comments

• TW Is My LoveTW Is My Love Senior Member Posts: 399Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Nice
    ==
    Sassanid Monarchy Coming Soon
  • OxuOxu Senior Member Posts: 651Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Sashimig wrote: »
    What for? Sorry but this kind of marketing move is pitiful (the release of those books not the free chapter)

i read the first chapter and realy enjoyed it! I personaly like reading books, and if i am not wrong games such as Halo, Mass Effect etc have had their own books. Books are not out of game experience, its for those who like reading books, appetizer to read example in train or bus when you cant play the game. You by no means need to buy it. Anyway i am not planning to buy it yet, as my books-that-i-want-to-read list is long as barbarians beard.

p.s the book is not ether about total war player..."then the player moved his roman legions capture the carthagian town". It's similar to Emperor series imo.
  • CharanCharan Senior Member Posts: 206Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Pfft anti African propaganda ! I ensure you..! Rome will burn! Its citizens will be a new breed of white phoeni-italians! We will also invent football.
    Some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 10,195Registered Users, Moderators
    edited August 2013
    Appreciate the information about the book but I have to say I am not thrilled to see a straight out advertising pitch for a book here. Even if it does have game related art work on the cover.

Pitches for the game and related DLC, yes. Things like this, no.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
  • ThisGuyThisGuy Member Posts: 61Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Can we buy this in New Zealand?
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited August 2013
    Very cool Trish!! Thanks for letting us see a glimpse of the book! :)
    Total War Forum: Terms and Conditions
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • TiberiusServiliusCrassusTiberiusServiliusCrassus Senior Member Posts: 134Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    dge1 wrote: »
    Appreciate the information about the book but I have to say I am not thrilled to see a straight out advertising pitch for a book here. Even if it does have game related art work on the cover.

Pitches for the game and related DLC, yes. Things like this, no.

Why wouldn't CA want to talk about the book here? This is CA's forum. The book is a CA product. They should be able to market it here if they want. There's obviously members interested, as we've seen.
    Congratulations, you are now aware that you are thirsty.
  • HardwaremasterHardwaremaster Senior Member In 3dsmax Los Angeles CaliforniaPosts: 6,391Registered Users, Tech Moderators
    edited August 2013
    Why wouldn't CA want to talk about the book here? This is CA's forum. The book is a CA product. They should be able to market it here if they want. There's obviously members interested, as we've seen.

I think he's talking just about him in particular. Im sure he knows that its a fitting place for it. He's just not personally thrilled.
    "True redundancy is when you are writing a description to describe the word that describes the description you used to describe it." - Christopher Purches

My PC: (2x 980GTX 4GB) (32GB DDR4 2133mhz) (I7 5980K OC 4.5Ghz) (512GB SSDs + 2TB storage drives)

"How on earth is a video game supposed to help you "feel the smell of ash"? Maybe CA could package some up with your disc." -Mackles
  • chaunseychaunsey Junior Member Posts: 1Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    ok, am i the only one that noticed his mention of corn in the first few pages?

corn did not exist in europe until after the discovery of the americas.
  • MrOuijaMrOuija Senior Member Posts: 691Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    chaunsey wrote: »

I don't think he's talking about maize.
  • Empire_RuleEmpire_Rule Senior Member Posts: 115Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Hopefully i'll grab the book when i see it in a bookstore :)
    edited August 2013
    MrOuija wrote: »
    I don't think he's talking about maize.

Okay you've got me strung in like a fish on a line....what the heck is Maize?

• EinBeinEinBein Senior Member Düsseldorf, GermanyPosts: 276Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Maize [...], known in some English-speaking countries as corn [...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

We say 'Mais' in Germany.
  • DocHolidayDocHoliday Senior Member Posts: 535Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Awesome, thanks Trish! :)
    We as Humans have the right to freely think. No one person should tell you how to think. If we give up on this right what are we then? We are nothing, simply machines being told what to do and how to think. Thus remember to be open minded to every situation no matter what, and remember think.

Emerald

System Specs

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
    CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 OC Edition 2GB
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz
    MoBo: ASRock 970 Extreme4
  • The WeaverThe Weaver Senior Member Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    chaunsey wrote: »

Hello, chaunsey, welcome to the forums. The word corn means, among other things, the grains of the wheat plant, as distinguished from maize or sweet corn. In the US, Australia and Canada it refers to maize, but in England and some other English-speaking countries it can refer to the grains of different cereals, including barley (hence "John Barleycorn") rye, and oats as well as wheat. I think here in NZ we'd probably follow the US meaning of the word.
    "O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
    The brightest heaven of invention" - Henry V Act I Prologue
    edited August 2013
    The Weaver wrote: »
    Hello, chaunsey, welcome to the forums. The word corn means, among other things, the grains of the wheat plant, as distinguished from maize or sweet corn. In the US, Australia and Canada it refers to maize, but in England and some other English-speaking countries it can refer to the grains of different cereals, including barley (hence "John Barleycorn") rye, and oats as well as wheat. I think here in NZ we'd probably follow the US meaning of the word.

Fantastic! thanks Weaver :)

• donni_1234donni_1234 Senior Member Posts: 613Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Awesome. I am so buying this on my next book-buying spree
    My Rig- i5 4670K 3.8ghz, 8gb RAM, GTX 970 Asus Direct CUII OC Edition
  • AviriatusAviriatus Member Posts: 33Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Great idea,
    Many thanks Trish!
  • CosmosisCosmosis Senior Member Posts: 354Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    The Weaver wrote: »

In danish, corn (spelled 'korn') actually means 'grain'. Seeing as danish was one of the first external languages to imbue alterations to post-roman english language (as a result of more than 300 years of viking conquest and invasions of the british isles starting in 793 AC), it is rational to assume, that 'corn' originally was a general term to describe all sorts of grains, ryes, oats, barley etc. etc. And when the english language established satellites throughout the world, such as the americas, Australia, Africa, India etc. the word evolved into describing the local grains (or at least just the popular grains in the region, such as maize/corn in America).
    I don't think 'corn' refers to maize in India and Africa.. (maize is spelled 'majs' in danish btw - pronounced with a soft 'j')
    Cosmosis' single top wish for Rome 2: Total War
    • War Goals
    Every war doesn't have to be a capitulation war - regional wars gives depth and variation to both warfare and diplomacy
  • LordvermonLordvermon Senior Member Posts: 265Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Thx trish!
    Spartans! Ready your breakfast and eat hearty... For tonight, we dine in hell!
  • ranknfileranknfile Senior Member Posts: 6,857Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    While "maize" is Spanish, it originates from the Taino word "maiz."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno_people
    "Whoever desires is always poor" - Claudian
  • The WeaverThe Weaver Senior Member Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    It was a nice gesture of CA's to release the chapter of the book, so yes, thanks Trish.

I have to say, though, that I'm not all that impressed by what I've read so far - it is little different from the likes of Robert Fabbri and Anthony Riches - if anything, this guy handles dialogue even more ineptly than either of the other two. He describes the battle well, but uses the conversations between his characters to overexplain the tactics. I'm not sure of my facts, so I won't comment on how realistic it was for the lad to win the corona thingmejig. It didn't strike me as authentic, though. The kid held the standard up and killed a Thracian who was about to make small holes in his mate, but other than that just did what the rest of them were doing.

I liked the tunnel metaphor that the old centurion has passed on to the hero. That helped me to understand how there could be such a thing as a veteran legionary: one would need that kind of mindset to survive in close combat like that.

Unless it is very cheap, I won't be buying the book. I'm still looking for a historical fiction writer who can write Rome as well as Bernard Cornwell writes the Dark Ages, or C S Forester the Napoleonic wars at sea. I suspect there are people on the forum who will, when Rome II comes out, write as good as or better fan fiction which we will be able to enjoy without cost!
    :)
    "O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
    The brightest heaven of invention" - Henry V Act I Prologue
  • dge1dge1 Moderator Arkansas, USAPosts: 10,195Registered Users, Moderators
    edited August 2013
    I think he's talking just about him in particular. Im sure he knows that its a fitting place for it. He's just not personally thrilled.

Correct on both counts.

Well, the corn discussion has me curious. Hadn't planned on checking out the book chapter (I don't like how it's being presented) but my oversized curiosity is ringing bells everywhere. :rolleyes:

@Weaver: Have you read Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series? I really enjoyed how she did it and have read all the books several times.
    "The two most common things in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity." - Harlan Ellison
    "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." - Hubert H. Humphrey
  • King RufusKing Rufus Senior Member HispaniaPosts: 1,626Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    ranknfile wrote: »
    While "maize" is Spanish, it originates from the Taino word "maiz."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta%C3%ADno_people

In Spanish it actually is "maíz".
    "Organized chaos is your best friend, as it will always seem as pure chaos to your opponent."

My entrance into filmmaking. http://www.youtube.com/TripleGTrinity
  • deluxefreddeluxefred Junior Member Posts: 9Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    King Rufus wrote: »
    In Spanish it actually is "maíz".

And "mais" in Portugal ;D
  • CrazyCronusCrazyCronus Junior Member Posts: 24Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Just read the first chapter, it was fun, I am curious to read more so I might buy it.
    "The circle of life has no beginning nor end"
  • TotalWarGuy2332TotalWarGuy2332 Member Posts: 51Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Pretttyyy cooool. Thanks CA. Now I might consider getting the book. :)
  • jorell of macedonjorell of macedon Senior Member Posts: 101Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    think i gonna buy it :p seems really good
    ROME SHALL BURN

my pc
    Mobo= msi 990FXA-GD80
    CPU= amd FX-8350 4ghz
    Case=cooler master haf x 942-kkn1
    Power=xfx 850w XXX edition
    harddisks=Western Digital 2TB
    RAM=corsair ddr3 16gb double set
    GPU=amd radeon hd7970 ghz edition
    ssd=vertex 128gb 290/525
    an extra cpu cooling= cooler master hyper 212 evo
    and 2 LG monitors 24" full hd led
  • AngusPodgornyAngusPodgorny Senior Member Posts: 210Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    Nice read, but i prefer Simon Scarrow style in Eagle series
  • Titus PulloTitus Pullo Senior Member Posts: 125Registered Users
    edited August 2013
    This is pretty awesome, i may just have to buy it.
    "If i wore pants i'd be like everyone else"-Santa