Welcome

Please register for Total War Access to use the forums. If you're an existing user, your forum details will be merged with Total War Access if you register with the same email or username. For more information please read our FAQ’s here.

Categories

How quickly will you download Rome 2 from steam?

SebideeSebidee Senior MemberRegistered Users Posts: 3,560
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
Rome 2 is 35GB, and that's not even including the 4 factions we're getting as DLC. Normally I download stuff on steam at a rate of 180kb/s, so I reckon about 2 or 3 days. Is that really slow? How fast is your steam download?

By the way, if you think that's bad I downloaded Shogun 2 at 12kb/s! Oh Ireland, I love you but your broadband sucks!
Post edited by Sebidee on

Comments

• DeathwolfX03DeathwolfX03 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 135
    edited August 2013
    Usually my rate is 1.5 Mb/s

So i'm guessing something like 5-6 hours
    Smile
  • markorplymarkorply Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 733
    edited August 2013
    My download rate can go up to about 35mb/s so, quick if steam is also quick
    Add:markorply on steam if you like
    "There is no ignorance in those who can see beyond what they perceive and into what they have yet to learn in a positive and edifying way." -Hardwaremaster
  • fernando77fernando77 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 241
    edited August 2013
    I feel like the only proper answer to this is not fast enough!:D
    "The past is seldom as we would have it- a future yet to be known. Embrace the present, strike all else from concern."- Spartacus
  • dragonlightdragonlight Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 2,840
    edited August 2013
    They might repack it somehow. So you might download less than 35GB.
    "Nothing happens to anybody which he is not fitted by nature to bear."

"Festina lente" (Make haste slowly)

My mini beast PC :

AMD FX 6120 6 core 3.5 Ghz
    10gb Ram
    EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
  • DeathwolfX03DeathwolfX03 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 135
    edited August 2013
    markorply wrote: »
    My download rate can go up to about 35mb/s so, quick if steam is also quick

Thats insane man
    Smile
  • Xyphos7Xyphos7 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 337
    edited August 2013
    1Mb/s, about 9 hours if at full 35Gb
    "It's not us to go under the yoke, to that fact the roman people are a witness. We will not bow!"
  • admiral_trompadmiral_tromp Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 554
    edited August 2013
    I will just get a hard copy of it, saves me constantly watching how my download speed drops and goes up again.
    the die is cast
    Gaius Julius Caesar
    prepare to fight - for, evidently you have found peace intolerable
    Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus Major
    your councils be long, your doings be slow, consider the end
    Marcus Junius Brutus Caepio
    moreover, I advise that Carthage should be destroyed
    Cato the Elder
    Proud to be part of Arcani
  • TheChocolateJesusTheChocolateJesus Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,436
    edited August 2013
    It will most probably not be 35 GB. If we are lucky it will be the half. Guess I will be downloading it with 800 Kb\s wich is my usual speed.
    It's gotta be a Chocolate Jesus to keep me satisfied.
  • SheltoniousSheltonious Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 165
    edited August 2013
    Mine is usually 3 to 4 Mb/s on a good day. I suspect that number will drop on launch day when Steam's servers get bogged down. But with the preloading, that shouldn't be a problem :)
    This is Consul Sheltonious Maximus, and I approve this message.
  • MysteryJokerMysteryJoker Member Registered Users Posts: 41
    edited August 2013
    On average, 2.5 Mb/s. On a good day, 4 Mb/s. So.... Once they allow preloads, it'll just take a little less than 3 hours.
  • Lord_Maximus77Lord_Maximus77 Technical Moderator Leeuwarden, NLRegistered Users, Moderators, Tech Moderators, Knights Posts: 3,362
    edited August 2013
    It depends mostly on how fast all those mirror servers have the data.

I've got a 100Mbit fiber connection. When the servers are functioning properly I should be downloading it at roughly 9.4 MB/second.
    So that's would be about 65 - 70 minutes for 35GB of data.

But the fact that the requirements state the game needs 35GB of disk space does not mean it's a 35GB download. It's probably less.
    Any fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction. — Albert Einstein

viri non urinat in ventum — Anonymous Roman

TOTAL WAR FORUM: TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • IzzyStradlinIzzyStradlin Senior Member Cair Andros GarrisonRegistered Users Posts: 11,423
    edited August 2013
    I will fight every sprite and zephyr on the internet to attain my usual speed of 4.5MB/s. But since I only normally get that speed when downloading old games, it's going to be a very uphill struggle.
    "Raise them, Necromancer. Set brother against brother. Let's give our hosts something worthy of recording in their pathetic book of complaints, shall we?"
    The Queen of Mysteries, on the Book of Grudges.

Her voice was as rustling silk. "In the darkness I dreamt of you, cousin."
    "Hawk no longer. My wings are dust and bone. I crawl through time now, like an asp."
    "You took my wings, Neferata. You made me crawl. Now I return the favour. Crawl, cousin. Crawl."

Team Elize von Carstein

Warhammer Lore, by Sotek!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH4nPsl2ctS365aEfFBwxbg

For ease of memory, if we're not talking about cavalry, everything the High Elves have is better than everything the Dark Elves have.

Izzy's More-Loreful Stats Mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1279441247&searchtext=
  • Zork90Zork90 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,439
    edited August 2013
    It depends on really, but when I download games using steam I usually get ~10MB/s. Doesn't matter though as Im going to get a physical copy and install using discs.
    The North Remembers
    You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.
  • lordfadilordfadi Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,855
    edited August 2013
    I will start the download, I am not so sure about the connection at that day, usually 4mbs, however while waiting for the download to finish I will probably go to the games shop and buy a copy as plan B :D
    "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood" Helen Keller.
  • MrSmartDonkeyMrSmartDonkey Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 4
    edited August 2013
    I usually get somewhere between 14 and 16mb/ps, so it'll be done fairly quickly.
  • MacklesMackles Senior Member UKRegistered Users Posts: 5,311
    edited August 2013
    It's all about the Collector's Edition baby! Using the internet is not for cool hipster cats like me n Zork!

Can I get a hell yeah?
    "Conquer, Punish, Enslave" - Words for the would-be Imperialists to live by!

Somewhere on that hill, its gonna get bloody contradictory between us and them real fast. - Anon
  • SebideeSebidee Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,560
    edited August 2013
    God! Yours is all so quick! I think I will be spending 3 days staring at those little blue bars on steam with mine :(
  • lordfadilordfadi Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,855
    edited August 2013
    Beast 45 wrote: »
    God! Yours is all so quick! I think I will be spending 3 days staring at those little blue bars on steam with mine :(

Nevermind bro, I hope Preload will be a big help, even though I might download it and will probably take a look, but I will not be able to really play the game until the weekend, I have a busy schedule... goodluck anyway.
    "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood" Helen Keller.
  • SarsaySarsay Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 16
    edited August 2013
    My optic fiber connection, although through wireless connection from router to PC, usually downloads at a 6+Mb/s and sometimes Steam thinks I'm downloading at 18-20Mb/s (which I strongly doubt though).

So, if Stea's servers can occupy all my bandwidth I guess I should be done in 8 to 10 hours according to http://www.download-time.com
  • RyanUNDEADRyanUNDEAD Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 27
    edited August 2013
    Steam usually downloads at around 6 MB/s for me so around 1.62037037037037 hours =].
  • break99break99 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 293
    edited August 2013
    About 1-5 MBPS, but won't it be super slow on launch since EVERYONE will be downloading it?!

We're gonna overload them steam servers on launch day boys!
    i7 4770k
    GTX 780 3GB
    16GB RAM
    Asus Z87-PRO
    256GB SSD M4
  • Soslick22Soslick22 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 558
    edited August 2013
    I get around 2.5 MB/s which is 3.9 hours.
  • MrCageMrCage Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 17
    edited August 2013
    I usually download at 1 - 1.3MB/s.

The servers shouldn't be that overloaded during the preload. Even during the steam summer sale i had normal speed on most of the popular titles. I think they are much more prepared for such download spikes than they were beforehand.
  • LagusLagus Member Registered Users Posts: 93
    edited August 2013
    I got 250 Mbit so Im guessing about 1-2 hours : )
  • Soslick22Soslick22 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 558
    edited August 2013
    Lagus wrote: »
    I got 250 Mbit so Im guessing about 1-2 hours : )

A 250Mbit/sec connection will download a 35 GB file in 20 minutes.
  • Zork90Zork90 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 1,439
    edited August 2013
    Mackles wrote: »
    It's all about the Collector's Edition baby! Using the internet is not for cool hipster cats like me n Zork!

Can I get a hell yeah?

3pxcd8.jpg
    The North Remembers
    You haven't missed the Forum Terms & Conditions, have you?

Check out my build for Rome II.
  • Unnamed PhalangiteUnnamed Phalangite Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 203
    edited August 2013
    I usually get 2.6 MB/s. Oh wait! I ordered the physical copy! No massive multi-day downloads for me then.
  • epic_159733007811cHJwei4epic_159733007811cHJwei4 Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 3,549
    edited August 2013
    I have about 100 Kb/s on a good day. This is if steam doesn't reset the download constantly. Considering it took almost 3 days for a 10 GB download, yea...

PHYSICAL COPY HERE I COME!
  • ArtLikeArtLike Junior Member Registered Users Posts: 9
    edited August 2013
    I have a download speed about 8 mb/s

So I think that 1-2 hours
  • .:MrJokee:..:MrJokee:. Senior Member Registered Users Posts: 256
    edited August 2013
    few hours...Im running at 4.4MB/s so it should be fairly quick. With pre-load confirmed though, I am not concerned about it too much. I remember Company of Heroes 2 pre-load started, I think, 3 days before the game went live, so that should be enough time to get it down.
    My Stream Channel is twitch.tv/mrjokee
    My Youtube Channel is .:MrJokee:. Gaming

Visit to watch live gameplay of various indie and AAA titles. When the time comes, Total War: Rome II campaign will be there for you to watch as well.